Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #241
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucylover43
I would like to join the February challenge and I'm new to this board. It may sound like a silly question, but what do I need to do to join the challenge? Thanks!

Victoria
Lucylover43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Qzzznne
I am enjoying reading all the posts. Been here for about a year and I see lots of new people and wonder where all the old ones went??? Although I feel just a bit experienced (I am shocked that I am still doing it after a year) I continue to come here and read posts such as this, as it is so descriptive it will intensify my workout even though I have been doing this same set of ab exercises over and over again. You can forever improve on what you thought was just the beginning DVD. For those of you who are in a hurry to move on to another DVD, remember mastering this is ongoing in my opinion and can benefit you for so long. Thank you Sandra for all your informative posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
Activating the pelvic floor always intensifies the ab exercises and targets the lower abs. Once you're in position and pulsing tighten 10% of your pelvic floor. Your lower abs will stretch and your hip bones will widen to side. Keep your abs melting down to floor. Think butter melting in pan! Don't suck in or contract your abs.

Another tip: Once you've released your hands from legs; check that your pelvis is in a neutral position. Avoid curling your pelvis up. So, relax your tail bone down in to mat, softly 'planting' it down. Your hip bones will lengthen further away from shoulders. You may feel your upper back relax slightly down on to floor. This is okay! The sensation you want is that you'll feel a stretch over your hip bones and you'll feel your muscles working lower down.

When you relax your tail bone down...or lengthen hip bones away from shoulders...you'll feel your feet rise slightly up from floor Don't press feet down to floor, this creates tension in your back and then you'll be tipping up your pelvis.

Your legs are "as light as feathers..." our beautiful Callan would reiterate

Another thing...something I see in class at times...when I encourage a student to relax pelvis down, and they have one or both legs stretched up, they will lower their leg at the same time. Avoid doing this, keep leg up vertical, lengthening up through heel (sit bones lengthening down to floor). If you're intensifying by lowering your raised leg/legs you can then lower gently and slowly but keeping the tautness between sit bone and heel. This will tone your legs also. If you're activating the pelvic floor your legs will have rotated/turned out from the hip socket.

Always, keep the leg lengthening our from hip socket...don't jam the leg in.
Qzzznne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CJgetsthin
Stats: 5'1" Post-Preg 160/160/130
WOE: Low Carb, Exercise!
Start Date: February 24 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
When you're doing the single leg ab exercise you should feel this in obliques. When the right leg is lifted and the left leg is lengthened out from hip socket, you'll feel the muscles working on the left side more. When left leg is raised you'll feel it more on the right side.

Another way to activate obliques is to bring both arms over the side of the stretched out leg. You will rotate your mid back over so shoulders are more vertically aligned. However, you keep waist and both sides of your pelvis relaxed on floor. Avoid tipping your body over to side. Also, turn your head to the raised leg. Round and pulse inward.

Thank you so much for this info - And to both Sandra and Jigglebuster for help on this! I'm really happy with Callanetics so far, and I just wanted to make sure that I know what exercises will be right for me for my big problem areas. There are a lot of obvious stretches for legs and butt, but my stomach/sides are really what need help - now I'm glad to find out that Callanetics can help with that too!
CJgetsthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Also: Did the 20min AM Callanetics this morning, once I do the PM program tonight I'll be 1/2 way to goal for this month! Yay!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #245
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kdoss
Achy Knees and Modifications

Thanks Sandra for your reply,

I always learn so much from reading your posts and am going to incorporate your ideas so I can get rid of my lower abs too. Big problem area for me!

I have another question...What would be your recommendations for people with bad knees and hips? One of my mom's hip joints tends to hurt and pull a lot. She says doing Callanetics really helps alleviate the pain. But now she's having knee trouble (on the same leg). Are there any modifications for her?

Also, I was thinking of recommending this program to my cousin. She wants to lose quite a bit of weight (100+ pounds). She walks every day at work for 30 min. However, she has REALLY bad knees and has to take cortisone shots. Even kicking them out on the Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds made them swell.. She finds walking or biking when she's stronger are the only cardio she can handle. Will Callanetics work for her?

Thanks so much
kdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mulberry32
Yesterday-Cardio C toning for #14 and walked two miles.
Today-10/10 for #15.
Mulberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Minxz
Stats: 303/213.6/190
WOE: Atkins
I did my 7th hour of 10/10 last night 5 to go!
Minxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: simplemummy
Stats: 181/150/120
WOE: healthy low fat diet
Start Date: 10 may 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxz View Post
TY Sandra! I have to laugh at what you said about your legs being like feathers every time Callan says that during the exercises I have to resist snorting.. someday I hope my legs will feel like lifting feathers and not cement blocks lol.
lol also waiting for the day my trunks will be feathers!!
simplemummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #249
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissMetal
I'm about to do my 4th hour, I know I started late but I'm still going to try and aim for 10 before the end of the month wishful thinking haha!

Can anyone give me some advice, when doing the stomach exercises I get a very painful neck and have to really try my hardest not to stop. Is it something that often occurs with the first few hours or could I be doing something wrong?
MissMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Its funny I had my husband try it with me last night (not laughing was very distracting (don't worry I laugh at myself when I picture what I look like)). He found Callan very amusing. He was particularly interested in some of the listed benefits and cracked up at the "Peach" lol I'm hoping to talk him into trying to do it with me again tonight!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #251
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inertia6
pain in the neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMetal View Post
Can anyone give me some advice, when doing the stomach exercises I get a very painful neck and have to really try my hardest not to stop. Is it something that often occurs with the first few hours or could I be doing something wrong?
I asked this very same question earlier in this thread, so maybe scroll through this whole thread from beginning to end. Sandra and others posted very helpful info, like using a towel to support your upper back, etc... They helped me - I had pain but I don't have any disc problems - I was just trying too hard and compromising my form.
inertia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #252
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissMetal
Ahh yes, had a read through and found it, thanks I will try it!
MissMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ThyckeCutie
WOE: Making Healthier Choices - Low Fat
1hr of 10/10 done!

I just recently started to add on some Core Fusion Thighs n Glutes......such a killer for the lower body. Very similar to Callanetics and gives you a great burn!
ThyckeCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
Cardio Callanetics done! Exhausted!!
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hoppinn
Stats: 236/139/140
WOE: CALP & Exercise
Start Date: March 3, 2008
Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours!
I completed 1 hour!
2009: 23 hours
January goal: 13 hours
10 out of 13 completed!
Hoppinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NorthernLight
Stats: 171/165/132
Oh my, I've been lazy...

Anyway, 1 toning down yesterday. That's a total of 3 hours this month And that is too few hours spent on Callanetics!

Why it is so hard to do something which makes one feel so good? It makes no sense...
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #257
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edna_scooter
12/16 last night.

So I've got my mom interested in starting Callanetics but I'm not sure whether to have her try the beginning tape or 10/10. Here is some background info: she just turned 50, she is in ok shape...not bad but not her best either. She has done mostly weight lifting/cardio workouts in the past. Although, she did do Pilates briefly but that has been about 5 years ago. She hasn't really consistently worked out for 5 years but she does stay somewhat active on her job and doing yard work/house remodeling etc.

So if anyone has the beginner tape how is it different from 10/10 and is it shorter in length?
edna_scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoss View Post
Thanks Sandra for your reply,

I always learn so much from reading your posts and am going to incorporate your ideas so I can get rid of my lower abs too. Big problem area for me!

I have another question...What would be your recommendations for people with bad knees and hips? One of my mom's hip joints tends to hurt and pull a lot. She says doing Callanetics really helps alleviate the pain. But now she's having knee trouble (on the same leg). Are there any modifications for her?

Also, I was thinking of recommending this program to my cousin. She wants to lose quite a bit of weight (100+ pounds). She walks every day at work for 30 min. However, she has REALLY bad knees and has to take cortisone shots. Even kicking them out on the Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds made them swell.. She finds walking or biking when she's stronger are the only cardio she can handle. Will Callanetics work for her?

Thanks so much

Are there any particular exercises which do cause her pain? It would help to know this. Generally, though if hip pain is felt while performing hip and behind on the floor, I get my student to try moving her knee forward of hip slightly to see if that helps. Quite often it does. So, if she does experience hip pain while doing the sitting hip and behind ask her to try doing this. For the straight leg just bring the leg forward of hip. Once she has started pulsing, and feeling no pain; ask her to...slowly and gently...move knee or leg back in line with hip.

Number 1 CallaneticsConcepts: Do not accept feel sharp jolting pain during exercise. Distinguish between 'real' pain and sensation of muscles working.

If she feel knee pain while performing the leg exercises tell her to lower her heels until pain goes. She can also do these exercises with feet flat on floor. Remind her to stay stretched up out of pelvis to take excess weight off the lower body.

Yes, Callanetics will definitely help your cousin and modifying the leg exercises will probably be a must. So tell her to keep feet flat on floor and don't lower body as much as is demonstrated in video. This applies for your mum also. Do, as much as she can without feeling knee pain.

It's important to keep the quads/thighs strong as this helps support the knee.

If you can give me more info on which exercises cause a problem I can help more.
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=Lucylover43;13029942]I would like to join the February challenge and I'm new to this board. It may sound like a silly question, but what do I need to do to join the challenge? Thanks!

Victoria

Victoria,

Having one of the Callanetics DVDs would be the best option. Callan Pinckney did write some books but DVD is easier to follow. You can purchase the traditional DVDs and newer ones from amazon.com

10 Years Younger in 10 hours (called 10/10 here) is the original DVD. Filmed in the 80's but very effective and loved by us all.

CallaneticsEvolution and CArdioCallanetics are the newer DVDs.

There is also a Beginners DVD but If you're going to buy this I'd suggest getting either 10/10 or CallaneticsEvolution along with it so that you're ready to progress. Beginners is very basic and helpful for modifications but not really hugely challenging and you may want to move pretty quickly from it to something more challenging.

Hope you see you back here soon
Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
1 more hour of 10/10!
January Total: 9 hours of Callanetics
January Goal: 13 hours Callanetics

I'm going to find a scale sometime soon, 'cause something crazy is happening to my body... Other than my hips (everything is squishing there), I'm almost at my goal!!!! So I'm suspecting the scale will reflect this too.

I kind of look like a bell, but ... who cares!!!

On a side note... I have to say, I just found out who you are Sandra! I knew you knew your stuff, but had no idea you were on some of the actual Callanetics videos!!! I'm totally blown away by your generosity here. I mean, it's such a HUGE help to us all.... Thank you.

My pleasure...I love teaching Callanetics and I see everyone here on this board as my students and an extension of my studio. I've learnt heaps since starting posting on this board. Reading the posts has taken me further in to the program and my own understanding of different issues that everyone experiences.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm about to do my 4th hour, I know I started late but I'm still going to try and aim for 10 before the end of the month wishful thinking haha!

Let me know if you can't find the previous posts on this subject and I'll answer for you
Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ahh yes, had a read through and found it, thanks I will try it!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

1 More Hour of 10/10 bringing me past my 1/2 way goal! If I can squeeze in 5hrs in the next 7 days I'll actually reach goal! Hooray.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #264
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
another hour of evo makes 6 of 10
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #265
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tangerine
Callanetics Evo last night for 5/10 in January. I don't think I'll make my goal of 10 but I started a week late, so I'll cut myself some slack! Enjoying my new Leslie's that I got in the new year's sale so I have been alternating with Callanetics for some good results.

Sandra, this is another exercise that people don't ask much about I think - the one where you are on your back, you bring your feet in close to your bum and then pulse up. I find that this move puts a lot of pressure on my back. I don't know if I am tipping up too much. Maybe you have some pointers for this exercise?

Last edited by tangerine; 01-24-2010 at 09:08 AM..
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLight View Post
Oh my, I've been lazy...

Anyway, 1 toning down yesterday. That's a total of 3 hours this month And that is too few hours spent on Callanetics!

Why it is so hard to do something which makes one feel so good? It makes no sense...
Ms. Aurora, please be nice to yourself. You did 3 hours this month so far! Great! Good for you! That's a lot more than none at all, isn't it?

From your previous post though, it seems like you're trying to fit Callanetics into a busy schedule of taking care of everyone else. Maybe you can pick a time or a day you can be more consistent and take care of you? I don't see Callanetics as exercise. I see it as one of those things I need to do in my day to take care of myself, like brushing my teeth, eating, or sleeping.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 198 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
1 more hour of 10/10!
January Total: 10 hours of Callanetics
January Goal: 13 hours of Callanetics

My calves shrunk!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Callanetics Evo last night for 5/10 in January. I don't think I'll make my goal of 10 but I started a week late, so I'll cut myself some slack! Enjoying my new Leslie's that I got in the new year's sale so I have been alternating with Callanetics for some good results.

Sandra, this is another exercise that people don't ask much about I think - the one where you are on your back, you bring your feet in close to your bum and then pulse up. I find that this move puts a lot of pressure on my back. I don't know if I am tipping up too much. Maybe you have some pointers for this exercise?

This exercise is called Turbo Bridging; it strengthens and stretches the back, strengthens the pelvic floor, stretches the front thighs, tones lower abs and shapes and lifts the buttocks and thighs.

So, it's an awesomely powerful exercise. It's a great one to practice pulsing with the pelvic floor muscles as you're able to relax the upper back totally thereby isolating and focusing on the pelvic floor muscles more.

As far as your back discomfort is concerned; check that you're not curling from the upper behind...we don't 'tip up' but curl the pelvis up and in...like a wave.

The curl starts with a relaxed and lengthened low back and comes from the base of the behind...or, better still, think that your curling out of the pelvic floor.

Once you've brought your feet in towards your buttocks lengthen, relax and melt your spine in to floor from your tail bone through the crown of your head. Your back should feel completely flat.

Create a gentle soft arch in your low back and then tighten the pelvic floor muscles by squeezing the muscles between the sit bones to draw the sit bones closer together.

Using the pelvic floor contraction only, curl your pubic bone up and in towards your navel. You'll feel your tailbone lift off floor. Now, keeping your spine lengthened, continue to curl one vertebra up off floor until you reach a maximum curl of your pelvis. You may find it useful to think that you are hooking your pubic bone by thread in to your navel.

Relax your stomach completely...relax your upper back and shoulders

Now, keeping the pelvic floor engaged, pulse your pubic bone UP and IN towards your navel.

If you place your fingers right at the base of your behind where your sitbones are located, you should feel the sitbones gently pulsing inwards.

When you're ready, take your focus in to the pelvic floor muscles between the sitbones and pulse using only the pelvic floor. The pubic bone will continue to pulse up and in but you are creating the movement from the pelvic floor.

"Pulse the muscles between the sit bones deeper and deeper and closer together"

Keep the upper behind muscles and low back completely relaxed. In fact, completely relax all your muscles completely. Only the pelvic floor is at work.

Another tip, release your legs from the hip sockets and while you're pulsing focus on gently lengthening through your thighs to knees and from pelvic floor through spine and out through crown of head.

Hope that helps...let me know how you go with it
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TerriG
Stats: 236/177/160
Start Date: June 2009
Yeah!!! 10th hour of 10/10 done... do I look 10 years younger??? LOL I saw my dad last weekend and he asked me if I was at the same weight I was in high school.... What a complement!!!
TerriG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Tonight I will do my 8th hour. I was planning on doing an hour yesterday but decided to try the All star workout Bhangra Masala workout and it kicked my butt so I was to tired to try Callanetics after lol. I will still get my goal if I don't miss any more nights.