Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #211
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweet1205
Hi Everyone!
I did my 1 hour of Super C today.
I have 2 quick questions though, does anyone know how the Super C dvd compares with the 10 in 10 dvd?? Im just wondering which one I will get more out of????
Or if I should just stick with mine if they are relatively the same.
Also, does anyone break up the hour routine and do a half hour in the am and then a half hour in the pm??? Or is it better to do it all in a complete hour??? Any help is appreciated!! Thank you!
tweet1205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Minxz
Stats: 303/213.6/190
WOE: Atkins
I did my 5th hour of the 10/10 last night and tonight will be my 6th. Then I will be half way to my 50% goal.

Anyone have an answer for CJgetsthin and my question about the abdominal exercises?
Minxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mulberry32
Mix of 10/10-Super for #13.
Mulberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hoppinn
Stats: 236/139/140
WOE: CALP & Exercise
Start Date: March 3, 2008
Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours!
I completed 1 hour!
2009: 23 hours
January goal: 13 hours
9 out of 13 completed!
Hoppinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #215
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissMetal
Thanks for the advice Jigglebuster! I will definitely listen to my body haha when it screams at me I'll give it a rest =P
I've done 2 hours now and am feeling good though I'm not too good at stretching very far lol
MissMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxz View Post
I did my 4th hour of the 10/10 last night and tonight I hope to get my 5th. For the stomach exercises am I supposed to be feeling it in my lower stomach as well? I generally feel it mostly in the upper abdominal area?
When you mean 'feel it' do you mean after or during?
I can feel that that is where my abs are working (they focus, or gather there, not strain) when I have my legs up, but have to say I didn't always. I don't know if this is because my muscles are getting stronger, or if my technique is getting better or both.

Afterwards, no not really. I mostly feel it on my upper and slightly on my obliques. Really, it just feels like everything has been squished, smoothed out and pulled toward my belly button from all directions, and it looks like it too! I think I'm in a very in between stage right now. Ha Ha!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #217
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweet1205
Hi All!!!

2 quick questions - does anyone know how the Super C dvd compares with the 10 in 10 dvd?? Im just wondering which one I will get more out of????

Also, does anyone break up their routine and do a half hour in the am and then a half hour in the pm??? Or is it better to do it all in a complete hour??? Any help is appreciated!! Thank you!
tweet1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CJgetsthin
Stats: 5'1" Post-Preg 160/160/130
WOE: Low Carb, Exercise!
Start Date: February 24 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet1205 View Post
Hi All!!!

Also, does anyone break up their routine and do a half hour in the am and then a half hour in the pm??? Or is it better to do it all in a complete hour??? Any help is appreciated!! Thank you!
I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your first question, but I wanted to let you know that I do do that AM/PM Program which is out there. 20min AM and 20 min PM, the exercises are specifically chosen for the morning (invigorating) or evening (relaxing). If you want to split up your routine, I'd look into getting that video.

Edited to Add: Speaking of which I did my 20 minute routine tonight after having taken off a day from Callanetics. Hoping to get another couple hours of 10/10 in this week.

Last edited by CJgetsthin; 01-20-2010 at 05:09 PM..
CJgetsthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
When you mean 'feel it' do you mean after or during?
I can feel that that is where my abs are working (they focus, or gather there, not strain) when I have my legs up, but have to say I didn't always. I don't know if this is because my muscles are getting stronger, or if my technique is getting better or both.

Afterwards, no not really. I mostly feel it on my upper and slightly on my obliques. Really, it just feels like everything has been squished, smoothed out and pulled toward my belly button from all directions, and it looks like it too! I think I'm in a very in between stage right now. Ha Ha!
Pretty much both for me. I really feel the upper abdominal muscles working and those are the ones that are sore the next day. I don't really feel the lower ones working much.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Pretty much both for me. I really feel the upper abdominal muscles working and those are the ones that are sore the next day. I don't really feel the lower ones working much.
Hmmm. My understanding is that in rolling in you're not contracting the muscles, not with such a small pulsing movement, so when I say I 'feel' it during, I only mean I can tell where the focus is, I don't go further than that - I feel that's going too far, and feels more like what they call a 'crunch'. SO, in saying that, I'm not sore the next day, never have been with Callanetics. I simply feel a slight burning feeling and a tightening of the muscles.

This makes me wonder if either you're doing too much with the upper abs, or I'm misunderstanding and not rolling enough. I do know what I'm doing has been effective, and inches are being lost, SOOOooooo...

If anyone else wants to pipe in here, that would be great!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ThyckeCutie
WOE: Making Healthier Choices - Low Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenalesa View Post
Thanks for posting this, TC. It seems like sometimes my body does nothing for awhile and then I'll see a change. Today I could see that my butt is reshaping, getting curvier and less blocky looking...cellulite is allover but supposedly that gets better in time.

I hope so. I cant wait for smooth tight thighs!!
ThyckeCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellenalesa
Stats: 190?/177/160ish
WOE: Starting HHCG Rogue 7/12/11
Start Date: July 12, 2011
About smooth, tight thighs...

I believe Callanetics will get you there. When I was doing it regularly and eating well, my thighs were looking really good. And they FELT different....hard. It was good. Then life happened and I got sidetracked....glad I am back on the wagon!
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Another 1hr of 10/10 this morning, although I don't think I'm getting any stronger, I'm definitely getting more limber, my hamstrings aren't so tight, that's nice!

Almost at 50% to my goal too!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #224
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kdoss
Questions about problem joings

Thanks Sandra for your reply,

Another hour did. I completed CardioCallanetics last night and am feeling pleasanty sore this morning.

I'v had a crazy week so this was my first time to post back. I will see if the ball solves my problem. I'll let you know how it works. I also saw a bean shaped cushion at Wal-Mart that's cheaper but I don't know if will be too high...

I have another question...What would be your recommendations for people with bad knees and hips? One of my mom's hip joints tends to hurt and pull a lot. She says doing Callanetics really helps alleviate the pain. But now she's having knee trouble (on the same leg). Are there any modifications for her?

Also, I was thinking of recommending this program to my cousin. She wants to lose quite a bit of weight (100+ pounds). She walks every day at work for 30 min. However, she has REALLY bad knees and has to take cortisone shots. Even kicking them out on the Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds made them swell.. She finds walking or biking when she's stronger are the only cardio she can handle. Will Callanetics work for her?

Thanks. I really appreciate your insights.
kdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mulberry32
Minxz-
When I first started callanetics (about 9 months ago) I mostly felt it in the upper abs too. Once my abdomen got stronger, my form got better and I was able to relax, I started feeling it my lower abs.

Tweet1205-
Super C has all of the 10/10 exercises or variations of them, additional exercises not in 10/10 plus more repetitions. I find it much more difficult than 10/10 but love the results. I didn't even try it until I had done a lot of hours of 10/10 and it is still a challenge to me. I split up my routine when necessary but don't normally do so. Nothing is wrong with doing it that way if that works for you.
Mulberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #226
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edna_scooter
tweet: i have been doing Callanetics now for almost 50 hours (it will be 47 today) i have both Super C and 10/10. I've done Super C twice and had to skip a lot of the exercises and cut wayyyyyyy back on some of the reps. I decided it's still too advanced for me so I went back to 10/10 but I will pause the tape and add in some exercises from Super C. I do them at my own pace and only the amount of repetitions I can handle. I don't know how much of a beginner you are, but I would plan on sticking mostly to 10/10 for awhile and then just add in parts of Super C slowly if you eventually need more of a challenge. Hope that helps.

...also, the stronger you get the more challenging the exercises in 10/10 will become because you will be improving your posture and form more and more. So you can definitely stick with 10/10 for a while and still be getting good results.
edna_scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #227
Senior LCF Member

I did my 6th hour of the 10/10 last night and tonight will be my 7th.

Thank you for your answers Jigglebuster and Mulberry. Last night I felt the lower working more than I had before so I'm guessing your right as I get stronger my form will improve and I will be able to work the muscles more fully.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #228
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inertia6
9/13 of 10/10...

Quote:
I believe Callanetics will get you there. When I was doing it regularly and eating well, my thighs were looking really good. And they FELT different....hard. It was good. Then life happened and I got sidetracked....glad I am back on the wagon!
Finished hour 9 this morning - four more to go to meet my goal. My dogs have gotten used to me doing these exercises - they know when they can sneak up and kiss me (hamstring stretch) and when to stay away (lower back stretch)!

I've actually done 17 hours of 10/10, and my legs feel amazing and tight! I started running this summer, but not until doing 10/10 did my legs feel rock hard, as well as my obliques. If I ate better as ellenalesa says, I'd probably see more results...

Someone asked the question about which exercise works the obliques, and think it's the side stretches done during warmup. When I really lean over and stretch, I can feel it there for a couple of days. Another good oblique exercise is to lie on your side and support upper body with your forearm or your hand, and then lower your hips to the floor, then back up - kind of a sideways pushup or plank - it will work your oblique muscles and make them tight (so you can feel the 'girdle' that Callan mentions).
inertia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia6 View Post

Someone asked the question about which exercise works the obliques, and think it's the side stretches done during warmup. When I really lean over and stretch, I can feel it there for a couple of days. Another good oblique exercise is to lie on your side and support upper body with your forearm or your hand, and then lower your hips to the floor, then back up - kind of a sideways pushup or plank - it will work your oblique muscles and make them tight (so you can feel the 'girdle' that Callan mentions).
Thanks for this info!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Thanks,JiggleBuster and Sandra. I'm glad it's still winter, so clothes can disguise this weirdness.

It's funny how it changes. When I first started doing Callanetics, I pulled in pretty fast. Now I'm not pulling in, I"m moving up.

It's odd! I know that it gets better in a few weeks.

Sandra,. why is it that we tone from the calves up and the chest down? Is there any specific reason?

I'm not 100% sure actually! I would think though it's due to the fact that we are targeting and toning the deeper under- lying muscles and maintaining a stretched out body at all times through counterpulls.

If you stand in the primary position with PF engaged, feet hip width apart, knees soft and spine stretched upwards thru crown of head; you'll feel the upper body tugging and stretching downwards. As you keep the length down through your heels you'll also feel the muscles of the legs stretching upwards.

If you're not feeling this try tightening PF deeper and stretching and lengthening further through heels and crown. It's important that you stretch up through the axis of the body...all your peripheral or larger surface muscles must be relaxed. The 4th counterpull between your shoulder blades must also be in place. All muscles taut but relaxed. Low back and tailbone melting and dripping to floor.

Hope this makes sense
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I did my 4th hour of the 10/10 last night and tonight I hope to get my 5th. For the stomach exercises am I supposed to be feeling it in my lower stomach as well? I generally feel it mostly in the upper abdominal area?

Activating the pelvic floor always intensifies the ab exercises and targets the lower abs. Once you're in position and pulsing tighten 10% of your pelvic floor. Your lower abs will stretch and your hip bones will widen to side. Keep your abs melting down to floor. Think butter melting in pan! Don't suck in or contract your abs.

Another tip: Once you've released your hands from legs; check that your pelvis is in a neutral position. Avoid curling your pelvis up. So, relax your tail bone down in to mat, softly 'planting' it down. Your hip bones will lengthen further away from shoulders. You may feel your upper back relax slightly down on to floor. This is okay! The sensation you want is that you'll feel a stretch over your hip bones and you'll feel your muscles working lower down.

When you relax your tail bone down...or lengthen hip bones away from shoulders...you'll feel your feet rise slightly up from floor Don't press feet down to floor, this creates tension in your back and then you'll be tipping up your pelvis.

Your legs are "as light as feathers..." our beautiful Callan would reiterate

Another thing...something I see in class at times...when I encourage a student to relax pelvis down, and they have one or both legs stretched up, they will lower their leg at the same time. Avoid doing this, keep leg up vertical, lengthening up through heel (sit bones lengthening down to floor). If you're intensifying by lowering your raised leg/legs you can then lower gently and slowly but keeping the tautness between sit bone and heel. This will tone your legs also. If you're activating the pelvic floor your legs will have rotated/turned out from the hip socket.

Always, keep the leg lengthening our from hip socket...don't jam the leg in.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks,JiggleBuster and Sandra. I'm glad it's still winter, so clothes can disguise this weirdness.

It's funny how it changes. When I first started doing Callanetics, I pulled in pretty fast. Now I'm not pulling in, I"m moving up.

It's odd! I know that it gets better in a few weeks.

Sandra,. why is it that we tone from the calves up and the chest down? Is there any specific reason?

Ask your instructor this also...she might have another opinion. Let me know!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyckeCutie View Post
1 hr of 10/10 Done

Why is my cellulite getting worse...Ugghhhh

On a good note...I am feeling stronger...stomach smaller...cant say that for my hips and thighs but last week I wore a pair of church pants that were really tight and couldn't wait until I went home to take them off!! Then I wore the same ones again this past Sunday and I had more room...I actually kept them on all day, took a nap in them and went back to church for afternoon service in them...lol Had to enjoy it

The second hip and behind on Evolution..bent leg then straight leg...is awesome for improving cellulite. It smoothes out the skin magnificently. Maintain maximum stretch out from the pelvic floor through counterpulls.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJgetsthin View Post
I'd like to know the answer to this, I was wondering the same thing.
I feel it a lot in my upper abdomen (below my ribs) but not in my lower.

I'm hoping that as my upper abdomen gets stronger it'll pull my lower into working too.

Also: I don't want to sound stupid, but which of the 10/10 exercises are working my obliques (aka Love-Handles)? Is it the sitting, side leg lifts?

When you're doing the single leg ab exercise you should feel this in obliques. When the right leg is lifted and the left leg is lengthened out from hip socket, you'll feel the muscles working on the left side more. When left leg is raised you'll feel it more on the right side.

Another way to activate obliques is to bring both arms over the side of the stretched out leg. You will rotate your mid back over so shoulders are more vertically aligned. However, you keep waist and both sides of your pelvis relaxed on floor. Avoid tipping your body over to side. Also, turn your head to the raised leg. Round and pulse inward.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
hour 8 out of 13 of 10/10. I took Sandra's advice and pictured the counterpulls through my legs/knees/head, and it felt sooo good.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Finished hour 9 this morning - four more to go to meet my goal. My dogs have gotten used to me doing these exercises - they know when they can sneak up and kiss me (hamstring stretch) and when to stay away (lower back stretch)!

I've actually done 17 hours of 10/10, and my legs feel amazing and tight! I started running this summer, but not until doing 10/10 did my legs feel rock hard, as well as my obliques. If I ate better as ellenalesa says, I'd probably see more results...

ring Someone asked the question about which exercise works the obliques, and think it's the side stretches done duwarmup. When I really lean over and stretch, I can feel it there for a couple of days. Another good oblique exercise is to lie on your side and support upper body with your forearm or your hand, and then lower your hips to the floor, then back up - kind of a sideways pushup or plank - it will work your oblique muscles and make them tight (so you can feel the 'girdle' that Callan mentions).

Yes The waist stretch is awesome for this also
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Hmmm. My understanding is that in rolling in you're not contracting the muscles, not with such a small pulsing movement, so when I say I 'feel' it during, I only mean I can tell where the focus is, I don't go further than that - I feel that's going too far, and feels more like what they call a 'crunch'. SO, in saying that, I'm not sore the next day, never have been with Callanetics. I simply feel a slight burning feeling and a tightening of the muscles.

This makes me wonder if either you're doing too much with the upper abs, or I'm misunderstanding and not rolling enough. I do know what I'm doing has been effective, and inches are being lost, SOOOooooo...

If anyone else wants to pipe in here, that would be great!

I love your understanding of this..it's so right on

When we first start toning abs it'll tone first right under the ribcage. Just about everybody sees the changes there pretty quickly. As they become stronger you do start to feel it working lower down and as muscles pull down from under ribs and up from pubic bone and then in from waist it looks like everything is collecting in the middle like a pooch. Just keep working on improving technique...and relaxing more and more...even your abs

When I'm working out and have a particular target area of my abs, I put my entire focus in to the area I want to train and create the pulse from that area. It works for me and I feel pulled in and flat immediately
Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I did my 6th hour of the 10/10 last night and tonight will be my 7th.

Thank you for your answers Jigglebuster and Mulberry. Last night I felt the lower working more than I had before so I'm guessing your right as I get stronger my form will improve and I will be able to work the muscles more fully.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
TY Sandra! I have to laugh at what you said about your legs being like feathers every time Callan says that during the exercises I have to resist snorting.. someday I hope my legs will feel like lifting feathers and not cement blocks lol.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
3rd hour of 10/10
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote