Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
Thanks for the response simmplemummy. I think you are right, I really pushed myself the first time doing it, took it a little easier the second time. Still sore as heck on my right side and can't lift at work. I'm going to try another hour of it tomorrow and see how it goes.
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ThyckeCutie
WOE: Making Healthier Choices - Low Fat
Im so in this challenge. Lost track of my hours though! I love Callanetics but why does my stomach and waste looks tremendously smaller but I happened to put on a pair of church pants that I fit previously just fine and they are tight around the hips/butt....its so uncomfortable. I actually had to walk around with my pants unbuttoned today I do Callanetics every other day alternating with Tae Bo BootCamp or Jillian BFBM. Am I bulking up under fat? I dont use any weights what so ever Help
ThyckeCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cyberange
Stats: 75kg
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: january 2010
10/10 4hours done and more ! completly addict of callanetics !
cyberange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyladi
Stats: 251/164
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: February 19, 2012
Wow, there is so much to comment on! First off, thanks ellenalesa for your happyladi part 2 response. Somehow when I was online earlier today and posted about just finishing CardioCallanetics, my page settled in such away that I saw your nice, encouraging posts, but not that you had me specifically in mind. Ah...thank you. My extra tummy gets in the way especially bad in the forward seated stretch, but I am SO encouraged by just my past three efforts. Absolutely love the relaxed, stretched feeling...very addictive.

And thank you Annie82 for your experience. Sometimes I think the exercises we have more difficulty come from the differences we have in our actual physical structure, like longer legs or a shorter torso, etc. I'm glad you're having such success!
ThyckeCutie, hope Sandrahanna pops in, or someone with knowledge of the strange things our bodies are capable of throwing at us. "It's doing WHAT even though I've been doing all this!?!" And Minxz, I'll be interested in seeing what others think about CardioCallanetics. I was amazed at the sweat in my hair and my left arm fell off part way thru/ Later group.

Last edited by happyladi; 01-13-2010 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Corrected very funny spelling mistake.
happyladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
to all the newbies...wow!! this is great!!! It was so wonderful checking in after one day absence (looking after my grandson in between teaching) and seeing new and old posting.
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie82 View Post
Sandra,

Would you post a front and back picture of how your body is aligned when you are resting on your forearm? When I do the hip and behind exercises I rest on my forearm too, but I always worry about my form.

Thanks!

I'll see if I can find the pic that I posted a while back.

Here's some tips though on form:

1. Rest forearm down with elbows directly under shoulders. Keep your shoulder blades eased down to your hips then widen them out to side so that your upper back is broad and relaxed. Stay lifted up off the shoulder taking excess weight off the elbow.

2. The other leg is bent or stretched out to the max in line with hip.

3. Stay stretched out of pelvis; avoid collapsing in to pelvis or even collapsing down to floor. The underside of your ribcage should stay lifted and not collapsing down to floor. Your spine is open, long, stretched between tailbone and crown of head.

4. Relax your hip and waist completely...practice lifting knee or leg without using upper behind or hip.

5. Keep your body stable while you pulse.

6. If you are utilising the pelvic floor keep it engaged or just keep the BASE of the behind tight. Relax your upper behind.

Another tip:

If I'm teaching a class where there are many new students, or everyone looks like they're having a nice day at the beach where they are collapsing their waist down and looking far too casual I instruct them to place their hands on hip and gently lengthen their hip away from their shoulders. The leg will feel as though it's stuck the floor and may feel impossible to lift but if you practice lifting the knee or leg whilst maintaining this position and not collapsing or jerking over to the side it'll target the right area quickly and deeply.

To help lift leg in this position keep lengthening out through crown and heel/knee to open the body up. If you jam your leg and torso inwards to pelvis (the opposite of counterpulls) it will be virtually impossible to lift and you'll have to get the help of your upper behind and hip to lift.

If you find that you do jerk over and your leg jams back in to the hip socket don't stress but keep pulsing while you consciously stretch out through both ends and relax your waist and hip. What you'll feel is a wonderful pulling in or stretching sensation over your hips and this....lovely peaches....is what creates slimmer hips

And....there's goes another dress size

PS Beginners almost always use their upper behinds to lift as the strongest muscles will always kick in and this is ok. The hip and behind generally start toning the upper behind first. After a few sessions, when you become stronger, you then will want to relax and let go of your upper behind and stretch your leg out further.

Ultimately your goal is to lift the knee or leg whilst keeping your spine stretched out and your pelvis totally stable.

good luck
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyladi View Post
Good to see you Sandrahanna. I have all the Callanetics workouts, including the new Evolution and CardioCallanetics. Obviously I am after weightloss (about 70 pounds worth) but I also just like the way Callanetics makes me feel. Suggestions for a plan of attack? Of course, I'm watching my nutrition...using Weight-by-Date software.

I'd keep your plan really simple...the willpower part of our brain is very weak and pathetic (although it can be developed like any other muscle) so don't take on too much. If you can handle it do Callanetics up to 5 times a week and also incorporate Cardio at least 3-5 times a week.

I'm not a dietician but really don't like or recommend quick weight loss. Find a diet that you are going to be able to maintain...forever! You can't go wrong with eating fresh, organic colour rich veges and salads. I love Wild Alaskan salmon. I can only buy in tins here and just adore it. I loved being in Chicago for training and the filming where I could eat fresh Wild Salmon. It's the best salmon every and could eat every day.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Hi Minxz,

I just wanted to add, as time goes on, you'll find there will be plenty of challenges. Movements I thought were the easier ones in the beginning became some of the more challenging ones later on. It took me about 20 hours to finally hear everything she was saying we needed to do in each movement, because I was just trying to get through the basics of the movements. I wasn't doing them completely the way she described, I was doing what I thought she was saying, but then once I got to that point where I wasn't feeling as challenged, and heard her again and again, I found I had a new understanding, I been finding some of moves that were more difficult became more easy, and vice versa. This is why I always use the video.

With almost 50 hours on my belt, I am still learning, and struggling, doing what I can. I have Super Callanetics patiently waiting for me, while I learn to be patient with my body. It'll still be there when I'm ready, and so will yours.

Welcome to the challenge!
This is awesome It sounds like you are really paying attention and aware and ready for a challenge. It's amazing how we can hear the same thing every day not even realising that we haven't really paid attention to what is being said and then BINGO.. "oh, that's what that means..." It's one of those fantastic eureka moments isn't it?

I would hope and expect with your mindset that you'd be getting some wonderful results
Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia6 View Post
I finished hour #4 on Saturday, and I completed hour #5 this morning, so 5 out of 13 of 10/10 down. (I bought SuperC too, but I must force myself to wait on it...)

Sandra - thanks so much for your help. All of the tips you've given us have really helped. I used a towel behind my back, and my neck feels much better doing the stomach exercises. I think I am having trouble relaxing my entire body, but I did a better job of that today. I am trying to slow down and not do too much or push myself too hard, as you instructed. Thanks again - it is wonderful to have you on this forum!

Good job to everyone else - you guys are amazing and inspiring.

My pleasure...I love being a part of the forum
Old 01-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sunrise lady
I'm going well this month, 4 x AM/PM (plus evo legs), and 1 x AM (plus evo legs). Didn't do much last few months but I'm back on board again, my body and spirit are thanking me, they (and me) always feel great afterward. I'll take the day off today, not enough time... but back to it tomorrow...
sunrise lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
1 more hour! :
Total for January: 5 hours of 10/10
Goal for January: 13 hours

I must be doing something right. The other day, my client looked down at my body and asked me what kind of exercise I've been doing!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #132
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyckeCutie View Post
Im so in this challenge. Lost track of my hours though! I love Callanetics but why does my stomach and waste looks tremendously smaller but I happened to put on a pair of church pants that I fit previously just fine and they are tight around the hips/butt....its so uncomfortable. I actually had to walk around with my pants unbuttoned today I do Callanetics every other day alternating with Tae Bo BootCamp or Jillian BFBM. Am I bulking up under fat? I dont use any weights what so ever Help
"Many individuals beginning an exercise program, especially if it includes weight training, will lose inches with no change on the scale. Since one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat, this reflects a gain in muscle that equals or exceeds the loss of fat. Keep in mind that a large gain in muscle may cause clothes to fit tighter and should not be misinterpreted as fat gain."

Lyle McDonald

Be patient, T.C.,....the rewards will come together.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
Is this the pic Sandra?

Last edited by planetbenjamin; 01-14-2010 at 08:57 AM..
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
I've skipped off work to wait for a plumber! I managed to sneak in an hour of 10/10 before he got here!!
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #135
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
another hour of evo that makes 7 of 10.

Ben....good job getting it in before he arrived nothing worst being disturbed right in the middle of it
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Minxz
Stats: 303/213.6/190
WOE: Atkins
I did my third hour of 10/10 last night 9 more to go. I struggled a bit last night feeling a bit tired but I persevered.

Sandra I have a question about the lower back stretch (which I LOVE). I find I have to kind of rotate onto my hip to drape my leg over. Callan does not do that but if i don't I can't get a stretch. I am easily able to keep my shoulders and elbows on the floor. Is it OK I do this?
Minxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NorthernLight
Stats: 171/165/132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
This is awesome It sounds like you are really paying attention and aware and ready for a challenge. It's amazing how we can hear the same thing every day not even realising that we haven't really paid attention to what is being said and then BINGO.. "oh, that's what that means..." It's one of those fantastic eureka moments isn't it?
Oh yes. I had one of those moments yesterday while doing Evo. I've been wondering why those hips&behind exercises don't really seem to work. I mean, it feels too easy. I've been checking my hip alignment, my back alignment, and all such things - no results. I just thought that maybe it'll come once it gets easier being in that position (or something). But still, it was sooo frustrating.

Then, yesterday, it hit me while I was doing the second exercise where the leg is extended to the side. I realized I had never really extended the leg from the hip socket. I must have read that a thousand times!

Well, now they work!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
1 more hour! :
Total for January: 5 hours of 10/10
Goal for January: 13 hours

I must be doing something right. The other day, my client looked down at my body and asked me what kind of exercise I've been doing!
Oh! Congrats!
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inertia6
Just finished hour 6 out of 13 of 10/10.

Does anyone else switch between 10/10 and Evo? I have both and Evo looks wonderful, but I haven't tried it yet; just watched to get a feel for it. I thought I should stick with 10/10 to see what happens and how it feels after 20 hours... It will be good to have both for when I reach maintenance, but what is best in terms of learning the exercises and strengthening your body?
inertia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mulberry32
Evolution is the most up to date and has a separate section for the Callanetics concepts. Even if you don't use Evolution yet go ahead and watch that part-it's explained really well. I try to apply the concepts from Evolution on all the different workouts. I feel a definite increase in the intensity of the exercises when I do that and I think it accelerates my results. I started with 10/10 too and eventually got Evolution, Cardio C and Super. I switch between them depending on my mood. Oftentimes, I will combine my favorites from all of them. (I call it my Evolved Super 10/10.).
Mulberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Logging one part toning.
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyckeCutie View Post

Increase your reps of the sitting hip and behind straight leg exercise. Especially, the position demonstrated in Evolution.

Stretch out to the max through both ends (crown and heel) and let your hip relax down. This position is awesome and extremely effective at reducing hip size but it's important to stretch out more than you ever thought you could (Callan ).

Read through previous posts this month on how to get the best from the hip and behind exercises.

REmember, when practising Callanetics...it's important not to utilise the larger surface muscles. The stretch is always through the axis of the body.
Visualise the golden thread running up through the core of the body out through spine and crown of head and down through heels. Your peripheral muscles are totally and utterly relaxed and having nothing to do. We are toning from the inside out.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbenjamin View Post
Is this the pic Sandra?

Thanks Ben
Old 01-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxz View Post
I did my third hour of 10/10 last night 9 more to go. I struggled a bit last night feeling a bit tired but I persevered.

Sandra I have a question about the lower back stretch (which I LOVE). I find I have to kind of rotate onto my hip to drape my leg over. Callan does not do that but if i don't I can't get a stretch. I am easily able to keep my shoulders and elbows on the floor. Is it OK I do this?

you can intensify the exercise by shifting your hip over to the side. So, I instruct this way:

Both knees will be bent...bring your right knee in to chest and if you want to intensify shift your hip over to the right. Slide and lengthen your left leg out (if you're intensifying the leg will slide over to the right) then cross the bent leg over the left.

Keep upper back, shoulder blades and arms relaxed and melting in to floor. So do check that you haven't lifted your left shoulder blade up. Upper back should feel broad and super relaxed.

If you still want to feel more of a stretch...gently bring your knee closer in towards your elbow and you can try lengthening your leg out until straight. This is demonstrated in Evolution.

Hope this helps
Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
1 hour of 10/10 dvd for my #5.
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #146
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tangerine
Callanetics Evo again today for 2/10 this month. Total hours: 15
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surarch
Stats: (200)198/166/125 5.5"
WOE: Eating clean
yesterday: an hour of callanetics evolution
today: cardio part of cardio callanetics
surarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #148
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edna_scooter
did hour #7 Wednesday night and hour 8/16 last night.
edna_scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: simplemummy
Stats: 181/150/120
WOE: healthy low fat diet
Start Date: 10 may 2007
hi guys, i have done another quick callanetics hips and behind. (3 in total)

can some one plz tell me what exercises are in the quick callanetics legs video? if that is too much trouble as i have the quick stomach and hips aand behind. if someone could then that will save money

by the way i do have the 10 in 10 video, does it just have the legs section from there?

thanks
simplemummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mulberry32
This morning did 10/10 for #10.

Yesterday I did a two mile walking dvd with intervals. I substituted Evo and 10/10 leg exercises for the squats and lunges shown on the dvd and finished with some of the Callanetics stretches. It felt great and left me so relaxed. It was fun to incorporate Callanetics and walking since I love both.
Mulberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote