Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenkins
I did my first hour today....well my first hour in a long time. It wasn't too bad when I compare it to when I first started doing it. The 1 hour programme took me about 4 hours (no exaggeration). So I feel good now for doing it. I am SO determined to stick to it this time for long enought to see the results. This site is sooo motivating. The before and after pics are great!!

I have one question; if someone could help me out it would be great. When I do the hip and thigh exercise where your leg is stretched out on the floor and you have to lift, I only feel it in the top of my ass near my hip and find that my waist muscles are working here. How can I correct this?
jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a few months, but started doing Callanetics in mid-August (again after 15 years). I took a month and a half off in there due to a few torn ligaments in my knee, but once it was feeling a bit more stable, Callan helped me get it back into shape, and it's as good as new! Anyway, it's all good, and I've lost many inches off this body of mine, having done 45 hours or more (lost count for a couple weeks) of 10/10. I've finally started to smooth out (wow that lumpy phase was scary!) and am seeing the lines on my stomach again. Yay!

I've done 2 hours so far this month.
January goal: 13
Overall goal: To be able to do it like they do in the video!

I have a couple questions, if you don't mind....

I have always had a bad lower back, so I am having trouble doing the leg/back stretches on the floor, you know the ones after the "wonderful behind and hips" exercises. The muscles in my hips and pelvic floor are so tight, I cannot lean over very easily when my legs are spread out as far as I can, which isn't very far. I'm not able to shift my pelvis into place. It seems it's an either or situation. Either I can spread my legs out straight, or I can bend them and then be able to shift my pelvis so I can bend over from my tail bone, otherwise I'm bending from the middle of my back. This seems to feel the best for me. For the sides though, I feel like I'm going to fall over if I don't hang on for dear life. I've learnt to relax my muscles when stretching, which was HUGE, but I still find myself hanging on to my lower legs and pulling my body over, so there's not a lot of relaxation. Any suggestions?

Another thing... Has anyone else progressed from not being able to straighten their leg on the stomach exercises to actually being able to? My legs started straightening on the leg exercises out to the side, but if I attempt to straighten them during the stomach exercises, my leg shakes like crazy! so I'm doing a few straight and the rest bent, and am hoping to work my way to all of them straight.

Thanks and thumbs up to all of you who are taking care of yourselves! Remember, beating yourself up for not doing all you planned is not going to accomplish as much as giving yourself praise for doing some of it.

Congratulations on your results...awesome

For the stretching exercise you are referring to...try rolling up a towel and sit on it. You want to place it under your sit bones (or slightly in front) until you feel your back is vertically aligned. You will then find you are able to hinge/bend easier from your hips. I use a meditation seat in class....I call them the 'thrones' It has a slanted base and give them to students who find their pelvis curls under in this position which prevents them from sitting upright. You can also keep your legs bent if you need to to.

Not being able to sit upright in this position can be due to tight hamstrings or even your bones. If it's the shape of your bones preventing you then no amount of stretching will change this. Don't worry about it though you'll just have to modify the exercise to suit your body.

You may or may not find that you'll be able to eventually straighten your leg for the stomach exercises. It sounds as though your hamstrings could be very tight but you did mention torn ligaments. Don't worry about this. Keep your leg bent if you need to and definitely don't force your leg to leg to straighten. It's more important that you keep both sides of your pelvis relaxed on the floor and that you find a position that works for you... which means you are effectively isolating the muscles to be trained/stretched and you are able to relax in to the position.

Good luck and let me know if the towel worked for you
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Listen to your body

Hi All,

I just want to add a reminder to everyone in the early stages of the Jan Challenge.

Your own body is your best teacher. It will tell you what feels good and what doesn't so listen to it. Always move slowly with total awareness and control. Never, ever force your body to do anything it isn't capable of doing. Don't be in a hurry to speed your progress.

When we workout we tend to focus more on sculpting our muscles; flatter abs, perky, peachy buttocks etc but the benefits are hugely therapeutic so we will also be restoring correct alignment in our bodies...gently!!!!

As you progress, and accumulate your hours, you will need to pay more attention to each and every movement. While you are pulsing, or holding a stretch, your mind will constantly be running through the concepts making sure that you are incorporating them at all times.

Breathe deeply to help you relax and this will also enable you to work deeper so the results are more visible even quicker.

Consciously lengthen out through counterpulls while you pulse

1. pelvic floor/sitbones to crown of head
2. Pelvic floor to heel (or knee if leg is bent)
3. Outer edge of heel and joint of big toe
4. Shoulder blade to shoulder blades. So keep your shoulder blades eased down to hips and stretched apart keeping the upper back relaxed.

While you are pulsing or holding a stretch...continue to tighten your pelvic floor (or base of the behind).

Remember that you don't actively contract any muscles in the body. If you are using your pelvic floor muscles check that you do not tighten your upper behind or low back. Let go of every muscle group in the body.

Put your entire mind in to the area you are training. It's your brain that will send the signals to the muscles that you want to use. So, even if you don't feel something happening just think it.

"Think 'it' and 'it' will happen

Working out this way will bring other huge benefits such as stress relief and a glorious feeling of empowerment.

Somewhere Callan says something like "...you control your body don't let it control you..." Your brain controls everything.

Good luck everyone...I so admire your self discipline
Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Hip and Behind exercises

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkins View Post
I did my first hour today....well my first hour in a long time. It wasn't too bad when I compare it to when I first started doing it. The 1 hour programme took me about 4 hours (no exaggeration). So I feel good now for doing it. I am SO determined to stick to it this time for long enought to see the results. This site is sooo motivating. The before and after pics are great!!

I have one question; if someone could help me out it would be great. When I do the hip and thigh exercise where your leg is stretched out on the floor and you have to lift, I only feel it in the top of my ass near my hip and find that my waist muscles are working here. How can I correct this?

Hi,

It sounds like you are using your upper behind and hip to lift the leg which is something beginners generally do. However, when you first start training the hip and behind just about everyone feels the upper behind working more as it tends to start sculpting this area first when doing the bent leg exercise.

The straight leg exercise still also works the buttock and hip area but primarily we are sculpting the leg and...of course...the saddlebags

Stretch your leg out of the hip socket to the max before you start to lift the leg.

After a few classes I get my students to start focusing on relaxing their upper behind and hip. This applies to both bent and straight leg. So, I start by gently resting my hand on their hip and waist and encouraging them to totally relax this area while they lift the leg. Then I get them to do the same thing with their own hand until they get used to lifting the leg without using their hip and upper behind.

It's easy to detect when someone does this because when the leg lifts it will jerk back in to the hip socket and the leg lifts up too high. I'll see the student shifting their weight on to the leaning side. If you are using a barre or other support for these exercises walk your hands over to the leaning side as much as you need to lift without contracting the upper behind. It's easier to learn this will resting your forearm on the floor.

Don't worry too much about this though...once you have lifted the leg just focus on relaxing your waist and hip totally as you pulse. You will still feel the muscles working right up from the back of knee up through the behind but you will still want to keep that area relaxed and melting.

As you pulse continue to stretch your leg out further and further. You may start to feel your leg vibrate as you do this...I love this feeling Keep in mind that the more stretched/taut the muscles are while you pulse the deeper the pulse will penetrate and the quicker you'll see your leg becoming leaner. Remember, you are stretching your leg out to 'your' max and best position.

Also, If your leg won't straighten completely this is ok as long as the muscles you are training are stretched as much as you can at this stage. In time you will find your leg will become straighter and straighter.

I hope this is clear for you and helps
Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sreichfeld
Stats: 200/160/160 6"1'
WOE: low carb
Thanks a lot for the guidance Sandra!
Always very helpful
sreichfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edna_scooter
4/16
edna_scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie82
Sandra,

Would you post a front and back picture of how your body is aligned when you are resting on your forearm? When I do the hip and behind exercises I rest on my forearm too, but I always worry about my form.

Thanks!
Annie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tangerine
Thanks for the help on the last thread Twyla and Edna. I did skip doing them on the bed and just got in what I could.

Callanetics is really helping me really understand my pelvic floor, especially thanks to your excellent suggestions for engaging Sandra!!

Last night I did hour 14, Callanetics Evo.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellenalesa
Stats: 190?/177/160ish
WOE: Starting HHCG Rogue 7/12/11
Start Date: July 12, 2011
5 out of 15

I'm going to Jamaica in about 4 weeks. I'm trying to do a minimum of 3 x a week in the hopes of improving my body before I go on vacation.

I've been doing Callanetics for about a year. I've missed a few weeks along the way due to other obligations...but I just noticed something the other day.

I'm walking differently. I feel like my legs are swinging from my hips more easily, if that makes sense. Hmmmm
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Corie
Stats: 168/162/145
WOE: moderate carbs, portion control
Start Date: April 2009
I've been slacking since my boyfriend's work schedule changed, we moved in together, and I started a new job.

I know the month is half over, but I've done two sessions of Callanetics so far, and my goal is to do 8 more this month.

So, 2/10 complete.
Corie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Sandra for that, its a great hlep.

I did hour number 2 tonight. It was ok, think the technique with the hip and behind exercises is getting better because I can feel a little pinch in my tush since.....hopefully thats the muscles getting stronger!

I also had to hold onto the railing going down the stairs afterwards because my legs went to jelly so much I thought I was gonna go head first

I took my measurements tonight also and I am going to compare at the end of the month......fingers crossed.

I love this site...thanks everyone!!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyladi
Stats: 251/164
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: February 19, 2012
Need assistance

I've posted off/on for a long time. Due to some health issues most of 2009, I've gained up to 238 pounds, but my meds have been adjusted/eliminated and I'm back to being able to exercise. Now my question: I enjoy Callanetics so much, but with so much weight to lose where do I start? Should I wait until there's not so much of me to "pulse" :blush: or just get started? Add in as much walking as I can? (Indoors as long as it's -4!!!) Suggestions, PLEASE!
happyladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #73
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
............As you pulse continue to stretch your leg out further and further. You may start to feel your leg vibrate as you do this...I love this feeling
Keep in mind that the more stretched/taut the muscles are while you pulse the deeper the pulse will penetrate and the quicker you'll see your leg becoming leaner. Remember, you are stretching your leg out to 'your' max and best position.

Also, If your leg won't straighten completely this is ok as long as the muscles you are training are stretched as much as you can at this stage. In time you will find your leg will become straighter and straighter.

I hope this is clear for you and helps
I love this.
Your explanation nails it.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #74
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyladi View Post
I've posted off/on for a long time. Due to some health issues most of 2009, I've gained up to 238 pounds, but my meds have been adjusted/eliminated and I'm back to being able to exercise. Now my question: I enjoy Callanetics so much, but with so much weight to lose where do I start? Should I wait until there's not so much of me to "pulse" :blush: or just get started? Add in as much walking as I can? (Indoors as long as it's -4!!!) Suggestions, PLEASE!
IMO, I would try to begin your walking program along WITH Callanetics. Your form may not be perfect when you begin, but it will continue to improve as you become stronger. The stronger and more flexible you become, the more visible the results. Try to do the C. program no less than 3 x a week in addition to your walking. Best of luck to you.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mulberry32
10/10 for #6 yesterday
Cardio C for #7 this a.m.
Mulberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellenalesa
Stats: 190?/177/160ish
WOE: Starting HHCG Rogue 7/12/11
Start Date: July 12, 2011
For happyladi

I'd start now. I was right around 200 pounds when I started. I went to a studio here in NJ and I was the biggest person there..and it was rough. I felt like my body was getting in my way, but I just kept going...and my body changed pretty rapidly.

The biggest challenge for me was "rounding up". I struggled with it for a long time and I still don't get up as far as I need to. I bought a little pilates overball or miniball...they're about 9 inches...and put in under my back. You have to fiddle with it to find the best place. I use it right where the bra strap is. It helps me a lot.

Good luck.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Watch-Me-Shrink and ellenalesa for your replies. Ellenalesa, it's especially encouraging to hear from someone else who started with a little more "goosh". When doing the stretches on the floor in 10/10, I could get further into the stretch if there wasn't so much of me in the way. But...what found my body can get lost! Any one else have/or know of others starting out with more than less to lose? Appreciate your help. I'm getting started today.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
Happyladi....I started doing callanetics at around 220lbs I have less than 40 hours in but the change in my body and the inch loss speaks for itself and that is thanx to callanetics, I dont think it matters how heavy you start out you will see changes in such a short time. I agree 100% with "T" on doing the walking and the callanetics together thats what I did.
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hoppinn
Stats: 236/139/140
WOE: CALP & Exercise
Start Date: March 3, 2008
Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours!
I completed 1 hour!
2009: 23 hours
January goal: 13 hours
5 out of 13 completed!
Hoppinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hoppinn
Stats: 236/139/140
WOE: CALP & Exercise
Start Date: March 3, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyladi View Post
happyladi,

My suggestion would be to get started. I have only been doing Callanetics for a short time but when I began my new lifestyle of eating better and exercising, I was at my highest weight or close to it.

I am 50 years old and have been exercising for the last twenty one months. My weight is dropping slowly but that is okay since I am following an eating plan that works well for me. My goal is to become fit and healthy and I have no doubt that I am well on my way!

When I began adding exercise into my program, I never gave a thought to how it would shape my body. I am actually building muscle and also getting into shape.

I am sure you already know that any exercise is better than none at all, so whatever you do will become beneficial.

The best of luck to you!
Hoppinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AprilW
Stats: 175/117/120 GOAL!!!! 5'4 36 yrs. old
WOE: Atkin's
Start Date: Oct. 2007
Hour 1 done. Being sick since NYD stinks. I am going to try to get as close to 20 as I can. It felt good to finally workout. I have missed it.
AprilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Minxz
Stats: 303/213.6/190
WOE: Atkins
I want to join better late than never right!

I did my first hour of 10/10 last night and want to do 12 this month.
I also just ordered the Super Callinetic DVD.. how different is it from the 10/10?
Minxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Minxz,

I think the Super is designed for people who have mastered the 1hr from 10 in 10. I have the book and Im pretty sure Callan says somewhere that you shouldnt do Super unless you have mastered the basic programme.

Im only new to this though so I have no practical experience of Super, thats just what Ive heard.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenalesa View Post
I'd start now. I was right around 200 pounds when I started. I went to a studio here in NJ and I was the biggest person there..and it was rough. I felt like my body was getting in my way, but I just kept going...and my body changed pretty rapidly.

The biggest challenge for me was "rounding up". I struggled with it for a long time and I still don't get up as far as I need to. I bought a little pilates overball or miniball...they're about 9 inches...and put in under my back. You have to fiddle with it to find the best place. I use it right where the bra strap is. It helps me a lot.

Good luck.

This is very encouraging to read It would be wonderful if you could post your formula.

Did you go on a weight loss diet? How many sessions of Callanetics per week? Did you incorporate any cardio training?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Thanks Sandra!

The towel worked. I'm not totally bending over, but am now feeling a stretch in the tiny muscles in my lower tailbone. Not only that, but when I go to the side, I don't feel like I'm falling over, and I'm finding the opposite leg will want to straighten naturally. In all of these stretches, my hands are placed on my lower legs, not hanging on.

As for the trying to straighten my legs during the stomach exercises, I think because my body went through such a sudden transformation after being on the lumpy plateau stage that somewhere I was thinking I should be able to do more now. :blush: So thanks for reminding me to slow down and listen to what my body is telling me. I just found on other exercises my legs started almost popping open, and it surprised and excited me both!

I don't think it's a bone thing since years ago when I was in extraordinary shape I was also able to do the splits, and if I recall correctly, did the stomach exercises with straight legs. So, something to look forward to!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us all!

Completed: 3 hours of 10/10
Goal: 13 hours in January
Total done: 46 hours

Ahhh, I can see where the frustration would come in Your brain is saying you should be able to do this Breathe deeply and allow your body to open, relax and let go.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Good to see you Sandrahanna. I have all the Callanetics workouts, including the new Evolution and CardioCallanetics. Obviously I am after weightloss (about 70 pounds worth) but I also just like the way Callanetics makes me feel. Suggestions for a plan of attack? Of course, I'm watching my nutrition...using Weight-by-Date software.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Minxz
Stats: 303/213.6/190
WOE: Atkins
Thank You Jenkins I will stick to the 10/10 for awhile I found it plenty challenging but I am pleased to find I'm not as sore as I thought I would be today.
Minxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

1 time thru of 10/10 plus about an hour of cardio between an old Firm VHS and Denise Austin. Tomorrow, I'm dragging out my Leslie's. Yeah all of us.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
CardioCallanetics done for my #4.
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxz View Post
Thank You Jenkins I will stick to the 10/10 for awhile I found it plenty challenging but I am pleased to find I'm not as sore as I thought I would be today.
Hi Minxz,

I just wanted to add, as time goes on, you'll find there will be plenty of challenges. Movements I thought were the easier ones in the beginning became some of the more challenging ones later on. It took me about 20 hours to finally hear everything she was saying we needed to do in each movement, because I was just trying to get through the basics of the movements. I wasn't doing them completely the way she described, I was doing what I thought she was saying, but then once I got to that point where I wasn't feeling as challenged, and heard her again and again, I found I had a new understanding, I been finding some of moves that were more difficult became more easy, and vice versa. This is why I always use the video.

With almost 50 hours on my belt, I am still learning, and struggling, doing what I can. I have Super Callanetics patiently waiting for me, while I learn to be patient with my body. It'll still be there when I'm ready, and so will yours.

Welcome to the challenge!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 01-12-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote