Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
Callan says if your neck hurts to support it with your hands until your strong enough to do it without the support, you are still benefiting from the exercise you can also put a cushion under your back to help you roll up until your core muscles are strong enough and you dont need it anymore, my neck hurt to in the beginning but after a few times it didnt hurt anymore, sandra will be able talk more about this..
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
pballerina...your not making it up thats what she said
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
About to do an hour of Super C.
Danipower714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
Did CardioC toning on Jan 1st for my #1.

Did 10/10 today for #2.

Btw, did I mention that I am now a size US 8 - halfway thru to my goal of 4! ( I was 12 when I started Callanetics )

Last edited by newmomtx; 01-05-2010 at 07:42 PM..
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sunrise lady
happy new year all! 1 session of AM/PM done (with evolution legs). I'm aiming for 10 plus this month.
sunrise lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia6 View Post
I just started doing the 10/10 DVD last month and I'm loving it. I'll commit to 13 hours in January. I have been doing them every other day, but I'm resting my neck today - JM's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism kicked my butt...

January goal: 13 hours
to date: 2 hours done

Question: my neck continues to hurt doing the stomach exercises. Is it alright to hold my legs with my elbows out while pulsing, or would I be better off trying to reduce the amount that I curl up so I can keep my arms straight and hands by my hips? When I hold my hands behind my neck, it feels much better, but does this reduce the effect of the exercises?

Thanks and Good luck to all!

There are a variety of ways you can modify this to help with neck and head pressure.

Yes, you can lightly hold the back of your legs while pulsing...this will help to keep you rounded up. Make sure that you aren't pulling on your legs this as this will create tension in your back.

You can also rest your head in your hands keeping your elbows out to side as much as possible. In other words don't have your elbows forward or you will be pulling on your neck. Let your head and neck sink in to your hands.

You can also rest a firm pillow or other comfortable support under your mid back to help keep you rounded up.

You may want to trial each and see what works best for you.

Check that you aren't 'bearing down' in to your pelvis. Stay lengthened and scooped out of the pelvis through your spine with abs melting down towards floor. If you allow your abs to 'pop up' you'll find this impacting your neck greatly. Take as many breathers as you need.

Hope this helps
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: happenstance
Count me in, better late than never

I am committing to 12 sessions minimum for January. Gotta get cracking - I have a LOT of flab to fight my way out of.
happenstance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 AM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmomtx View Post

Did 10/10 today for #2.

Btw, did I mention that I am now a size US 8 - halfway thru to my goal of 4! ( I was 12 when I started Callanetics

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edna_scooter
3/16 last night.
edna_scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mulberry32
newmomtx-that is great news!

10/10 done for #4
Mulberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Sandra, now that you're back, I'll re-ask my question from last month - what is the weight of the handweights that you guys are using in evolution (and the ones you're selling)?

I saw some wrist weights in a shop here - figured I could hold them in my hand since I have no idea if you can find those balls here... I picked up the 1kg, then the 500g and felt that I needed to start lighter, then found a pair of 250g ones for $2 so I grabbed those, they feel good, I have weak arms so I figured start out very light and then if I want to, work up.

I tried them out yesterday in the evo legs and it feels like the perfect workout for me. Indeed, that little bit of weight seems to balance out my body better when doing those ex!

happy new year!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inertia6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
There are a variety of ways you can modify this to help with neck and head pressure.

Yes, you can lightly hold the back of your legs while pulsing...this will help to keep you rounded up. Make sure that you aren't pulling on your legs this as this will create tension in your back.

You can also rest your head in your hands keeping your elbows out to side as much as possible. In other words don't have your elbows forward or you will be pulling on your neck. Let your head and neck sink in to your hands.

You can also rest a firm pillow or other comfortable support under your mid back to help keep you rounded up.

You may want to trial each and see what works best for you.

Check that you aren't 'bearing down' in to your pelvis. Stay lengthened and scooped out of the pelvis through your spine with abs melting down towards floor. If you allow your abs to 'pop up' you'll find this impacting your neck greatly. Take as many breathers as you need.

Hope this helps
Great - thanks for the help. All I can hear is Callan telling me to curl to my chest, not to the ceiling... I will try your suggestions and let you know. Hope this helps you too pballerina - thanks for the support!

As for my progress, I got another hour of 10/10 in this morning, so I'm up to 3 hours out of my total goal of 13. Thanks everyone!
inertia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lori121
Stats: Jan 232.5/198.5/ 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
Thanks for the tips. I'm off to check out you tube
lori121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hoppinn
Stats: 236/139/140
WOE: CALP & Exercise
Start Date: March 3, 2008
Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours!
I completed 1 hour!
3 out of 13 completed!
Hoppinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CosmicGirl
WOE: BFC
Start Date: Jan 2009
Need to get my routine back!

1 of 10/10 completed. Feel great. Have no idea why I've put it off the last few days
CosmicGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise lady View Post
Sandra, now that you're back, I'll re-ask my question from last month - what is the weight of the handweights that you guys are using in evolution (and the ones you're selling)?

I saw some wrist weights in a shop here - figured I could hold them in my hand since I have no idea if you can find those balls here... I picked up the 1kg, then the 500g and felt that I needed to start lighter, then found a pair of 250g ones for $2 so I grabbed those, they feel good, I have weak arms so I figured start out very light and then if I want to, work up.

I tried them out yesterday in the evo legs and it feels like the perfect workout for me. Indeed, that little bit of weight seems to balance out my body better when doing those ex!

happy new year!
Hi,

We use 0.5kg and 1kg in the video and these are the weights my students use...if they want to. Surprisingly, not many are interested in using the weights in the studio.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia6 View Post
Great - thanks for the help. All I can hear is Callan telling me to curl to my chest, not to the ceiling... I will try your suggestions and let you know. Hope this helps you too pballerina - thanks for the support!

As for my progress, I got another hour of 10/10 in this morning, so I'm up to 3 hours out of my total goal of 13. Thanks everyone!

Round your shoulders and chest in as much as 'you' can. Even if you have your hands behind your head it is still a 'rounding in' movement not an upward movement.

Try to avoid curling your pelvis also. While focusing on rounding up off the floor some students find they curl their pelvis up at the same time. Try to avoid this. I encourage my students to keep their pelvis completely neutral on the floor. Hips and pubic bone lengthened away from crown, both sides of the pelvis resting on floor keeping tailbone in contact with mat. When they do this they find that their upper backs may sink back down a little. The benefit of this though is that you'll feel the lower abs kicking in. After your workout you'll be aware of a beautiful stretching and flattening across the lower abs and hip bones.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi,

We use 0.5kg and 1kg in the video and these are the weights my students use...if they want to. Surprisingly, not many are interested in using the weights in the studio.
Thanks Sandra! I guess your students prefer to use the weights at home....?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise lady View Post
Thanks Sandra! I guess your students prefer to use the weights at home....?

No, I don't think so...I can't think of one student who does a session at home if they come to the studio regularly. The most they might do is a quick 15 min or so workout if they haven't been able to get in.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenkins

Hey,

I just came across this here and I am delighted. I know Im late but Im hoping it would be ok to join this challenge now. My aim is to get 1O hours in this month. Have just started Callanetics so think that is a good goal.

Yay!! I cant wait to have a cute little peach
jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellenalesa
Stats: 190?/177/160ish
WOE: Starting HHCG Rogue 7/12/11
Start Date: July 12, 2011
15 hour goal for January

2 out of 15 so far. Loving it.

For the ab work: I started using a little Pilates ball under my back...in the area of my bra strap. The ball is about 9 inches. Google "pilates mini ball". Amazon has one for about $11. I got mine at Walmart for $9.

It has made a tremendous difference, because I was never strong enough to round up enough. Now I can actually feel the muscles working.

Sometimes in class we do our first 20 holding on. You know how you round up and grab onto your legs? Well, use your arms to help you stay rounded up.

Hope this helps.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NorthernLight
Stats: 171/165/132
Hi all,

I've been sooo out of control. November went and so did December. My attempts to exercise were so puny. One half-hour session per month!

Reasons vary, as they always do. Being sick is the only good one, though...

It's so amazingly hard to begin again! Just before Christmas I managed to do that last cardio session and boy was I beat!

Anyways, the new year is here! I'm convinced I'll be able to get in bikinishape by summer! I must be!

Good job all of you who were able to resist the laziest time of the year!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmomtx View Post

Did 10/10 today for #2.

Btw, did I mention that I am now a size US 8 - halfway thru to my goal of 4! ( I was 12 when I started Callanetics )
That's absolutely great! I'm so happy for you! May I ask, how long have you been doing C?
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mulberry32
Cardio C for #5.
Mulberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, I don't think so...I can't think of one student who does a session at home if they come to the studio regularly. The most they might do is a quick 15 min or so workout if they haven't been able to get in.
Duh, of course! Why would they need to do callanetics at home when they have regular access to you!!! What a novelty being able to do classes twice or 3 times a week! I'd forgotten these things happen, haha!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
Thanks Twyla, Mulberry32 & Northern_Light.

I have been doing Callanetics since mid-august 2009.

I am quite happy with the results so far. I recently added Core Fusion's Thighs & glutes for some variety.

I think I have enough strength to be able to jump to Super C soon. Only thing is its quite pricey

Btw, had to do 10/10 DVD (my #3 for this month) in bits & pieces today as I couldn't manage to finish it while my toddler slept. I had him run/jump over me every time I started the exercises - I think I might have strained my upper back & waist, feeling a little achy today and not as good as every other day
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sreichfeld
Stats: 200/160/160 6"1'
WOE: low carb
1 hour of 10/10 completed.
sreichfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hoppinn
Stats: 236/139/140
WOE: CALP & Exercise
Start Date: March 3, 2008
Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours!
I completed 1 hour!
4 out of 13 completed!
Hoppinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Yay! January account finally open! Toning part done! Only 9,5 hours to go!
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/152.8/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a few months, but started doing Callanetics in mid-August (again after 15 years). I took a month and a half off in there due to a few torn ligaments in my knee, but once it was feeling a bit more stable, Callan helped me get it back into shape, and it's as good as new! Anyway, it's all good, and I've lost many inches off this body of mine, having done 45 hours or more (lost count for a couple weeks) of 10/10. I've finally started to smooth out (wow that lumpy phase was scary!) and am seeing the lines on my stomach again. Yay!

I've done 2 hours so far this month.
January goal: 13
Overall goal: To be able to do it like they do in the video!

I have a couple questions, if you don't mind....

I have always had a bad lower back, so I am having trouble doing the leg/back stretches on the floor, you know the ones after the "wonderful behind and hips" exercises. The muscles in my hips and pelvic floor are so tight, I cannot lean over very easily when my legs are spread out as far as I can, which isn't very far. I'm not able to shift my pelvis into place. It seems it's an either or situation. Either I can spread my legs out straight, or I can bend them and then be able to shift my pelvis so I can bend over from my tail bone, otherwise I'm bending from the middle of my back. This seems to feel the best for me. For the sides though, I feel like I'm going to fall over if I don't hang on for dear life. I've learnt to relax my muscles when stretching, which was HUGE, but I still find myself hanging on to my lower legs and pulling my body over, so there's not a lot of relaxation. Any suggestions?

Another thing... Has anyone else progressed from not being able to straighten their leg on the stomach exercises to actually being able to? My legs started straightening on the leg exercises out to the side, but if I attempt to straighten them during the stomach exercises, my leg shakes like crazy! so I'm doing a few straight and the rest bent, and am hoping to work my way to all of them straight.

Thanks and thumbs up to all of you who are taking care of yourselves! Remember, beating yourself up for not doing all you planned is not going to accomplish as much as giving yourself praise for doing some of it.
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote