Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LeoKat
Stats: 117lbs size 4 /110 size 2/ 103 -107 size 0
WOE: Lots of greens, adequate protein
Start Date: Jan 2011 for the most part
Squats and Lunges be gone! No weights on lower body thread - my top 5.

This title may be a little misleading because I love all different kinds of exercises. I have done many many squats and lunges in the past, especially in my Jazzercise classes, and I would not shy from doing some here or there if they were presented in a fun fitness program. I just wanted to make this thread to share with you the best things that I found in my journey to thin(er) thighs!

I am a short girl and I am a girl that bulks. Through trial and error I have found some things that get me the kind of feminine (but hard) results that I am looking for. I am an exercise video junky so here is the list:

Callanetics - This one is the grandmamma of toning exercises and videos. This is where I started with bar type exercises and it stands alone as one of the best. A five year long Callanetics thread on lowcarbfriends couldn't be wrong, could it? This is the foundation.

The Original BUNS OF STEEL: Yes I am talking about that one! This video is the bomb and it recently became available on dvd. I used to keep an old VCR player in my closet just to use it! Gary Smith will fry your a%^ like no body's business in this video. The great thing is that it has no dread factor. There is a cardio opening(which I skip) that is about 25 min long, then the rest of the video is laying on the floor. Those lying leg lifts from the 80's is what you will find here. From every conceivable angle. Till you cry. And it works like a charm! One of the best things about this video is he puts some emphasis on the inner thigh, which is my challenge.
I Gary Smith.

Tracy Anderson Mat Video: Tracy is a cute, blond, teeny tiny person. I forget how I heard about her but her videos are so expensive I put off checking her out for quite some time. The amazon reviews were mixed as well. Some people raved about her but a lot of people hated this video . I eventually caved and bought it. Tracy is a bad instructor, flat out, but she has put together a pretty effective lower body workout. She is deathly afraid of bulk (and talks about it). You can not bulk from this video. Tracy copied moves from Gary Smith and Jane Fonda and put them to good music, pretty much. There is a lot of media garbage about her and I hope that no one comes to get me for mentioning her name here, but yes she makes my top 5! I know this is a lower body thread but where this video really shines is her arm work. ohmygod. You wave your arms around like you are dancing, but only with your arms. You don't use any weights. You feel like your arms will shrivel and die. Then after 7 minutes or so of that, she has you pick up 3lb dumb bells (up to 3lb, 3lb may be to heavy to start, believe it or not) and you do it again! I have not lifted weights gym style since for my upper body and I am more defined then ever.

RaviAna Kundalini Yoga: Yoga schmoga right? Yoga body this and that - even for all the promises of yoga to give me the coveted "Yoga Body" that would some how make me calm, invincible to all things bad, and actually give off light, I could NOT get my self to do it! Then I discovered Kundalini. It almost doesn't feel like yoga, because you often do not get into a common asana/yoga position. You DO sit cross legged and pant through your nose. You do a lot of stretching. The breathing exercises are kind of weird at first but somehow this practice makes you feel really really good! Happy even! It is supposed to work on your glands to improve your metabolic function. Maybe it does because I always lose weight when I do it. I also notice that this keeps me from wanting to eat very much too. There's a plus!

Last but definitely not least: Exhale Fusion - Thighs and Gluts. I am going crazy over this video right now. This. Video. Works. - Period! It has the pretzel position from Callanetics and is very Lotte Burkish because both these instructors used to be LB instructors. The body is all connected but I was still surprised that while this video is focused on lower body, my waist immediately got smaller. Every time I do this video my butt feels so lifted it feels like it is in the middle of my back! I am not kidding. Everything on my body feel tight tight tight (in a good way) after this video.

Ultimately self acceptance and love is what brought me the best results when it came to having a body that I proud of and felt good about. Other then that, these videos really helped! I have learned so much from this site and the successes of the people on it. Especially the Callanetics thread. I am by no means there in terms of ultimate physique goals, but I do know that with the help of what I have learned, that eventually I will be!

If any of you have some gems that I have not heard of that you found were effective, I would love to hear them!

-K

Last edited by LeoKat; 11-03-2009 at 01:41 PM..
LeoKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbLita
Stats: 14/4/7-8
WOE: Atkins 10+ years strong!
TY, your input is really helpful.
LoCarbLita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

No problem! I am pretty passionate about my most beloved videos. Good Luck to you on your journey
Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lynelle
Thanks for this. I agree with callanetics and core fusion and will look into getting the others you mention. I love core fusion. I have the "thighs and glutes" and "body sculpt" and think of getting the other two as well.
Lynelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I love CF too

Lynelle,

I may even say that it is my favorite. It gives me even faster results then Callanetics. In the T/G video you do so many variations of the most effective barre moves (pretzels, parallel thighs, etc) that I think that is what brings such fantastic results. I have been doing this video for a little over a week and I just am shocked at how much different my legs look. Nothing I have EVER done has made my legs look the way they are beginning to now. Nothing.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbLita
Stats: 14/4/7-8
WOE: Atkins 10+ years strong!
Which is the most effective Callanetics dvd you recommend?
LoCarbLita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

LoCarbLita:

I think the most effective video is going to be the one you do consistantly. Are you a beginner? Callan can not be beat when it comes to explaination of getting into the correct positions to do the exercise. 10 years in 10 hours (the first Callan video) is great for this. Not only that, in the Callan thread on this board you have one of her instructors answering questions about technique! Thats is priceless! And once you have the general understanding of the positions, movements and have built up a little muscle sensory through Callanetics, you can can take what you have learned to pretty much any barre exercise programs that you do.

There is a Callan beginner video too, but I do not have that one, so I can't give an acurate recommendation. Again this whole rant was based on assuming you were a beginner, which you may not be!

I also favor Callans AM/PM video, which breaks her program up into two 20 min workouts. This is a plus for people that want an add on to their cardio, or just don't have the time to do an hour long video.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cassie2
Stats: 233/225.2/150-160
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Thanks so much for this, LeoKat! I tend to bulk up in my thighs, too, so this was really helpful to read. I just ordered the Buns of Steel original and the Exhale Fusion Thighs and Glutes. I already have Callanetics (and love it).

Thanks again! Here's to long lean legs!
cassie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Oh my goodness cassie2 I am so excited for you! My two favorites! I did T/G this morning after taking the weekend off and it was so great. I loaned out my Buns of Steel video almost two months ago now and have not gotten it back so gaurd yours with your life!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Buns of Steel came in the mail yesterday. It's on my agenda for today!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Cassie2 - Enjoy your Buns of Steel! I miss mine soo much.
Have you read any of the amazon reviews for that video? A lot of women have used the tape (the whole tape) as their secret weapon for weight loss. There is some cardio at the beginning of the video.

Don't forget to come back here and post about your first experience! your buns will fry!!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Good list! I am curious to try the Core Fusions!

I love Squeeze and The Bar Method for non squat and lunge workouts. OH and there is a 20 minute buns and thigh floor workout from the Windsor pilates series that is a killer. Unfortunately I only had it on VHS and so I don't use it anymore.
Kiley2801 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Donna D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley2801 View Post
Good list! I am curious to try the Core Fusions!

I love Squeeze and The Bar Method for non squat and lunge workouts. OH and there is a 20 minute buns and thigh floor workout from the Windsor pilates series that is a killer. Unfortunately I only had it on VHS and so I don't use it anymore.

I love Winsor Pilates Buns and Thighs - it is a killer - no matter how many times you do it!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKat View Post

Last but definitely not least: Exhale Fusion - Thighs and Gluts. I am going crazy over this video right now. This. Video. Works. - Period! It has the pretzel position from Callanetics and is very Lotte Burkish because both these instructors used to be LB instructors. The body is all connected but I was still surprised that while this video is focused on lower body, my waist immediately got smaller. Every time I do this video my butt feels so lifted it feels like it is in the middle of my back! I am not kidding. Everything on my body feel tight tight tight (in a good way) after this video.

-K

Thanks for the reminder about Exhale Core Fusion Thighs and Glutes - I did the 10 minute segment last night - Standing Glutes - I felt worked out in 10 minutes.

Sometimes I worry as to whether I have the form correctly. Will keep trying.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laurakitty
Stats: 158/158/132
WOE: Gluten & Dairy Free
I downloaded Tracy Anderson's Method Mat after reading this thread and I love it! I've done it the last two days and I'm planning on doing it for six straight days and then measuring to see the difference- I'm sure there will be one as I can already feel a difference in my body. I am a long time Callanetics lover but I was getting frustrated with being unable to take my body farther so for the last few months I've been going from one routine to another- P90X, Slim in 6, everything- and they've just bulked my muscles up to a point where none of my clothes fit. I hope that Tracy Anderson can help me- I think she can! Thanks for writing this thread and reminding me about her.

I want to try and get the Exhale Core Fusion Thighs and Glutes (my total trouble areas) but couldn't find it to download. I downloaded their Pilates video- any thoughts on that one?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Hi LauraKitty,

I have Thighs and Gluts and the Pilates one. I alternate both these videos every other day Mon-Fri. I have to say, I am seeing excellent results from this routine. I have a regular daily cardio routine and eat pretty much maintenance calories every day. I bet if I was diciplined with dropping my cals a little bit I would get even better results. I am short so I tend toward looking stocky and have always had a little love handle action going on. This whole area is slimming down. I keep saying it but it is so true that I am amazed by these workouts.

I also am a Callan lover and give her props for pointing the way in my journey. Like I said, I think that these additional videos are doing what she started - they are just doing MORE of everything.

I did the same thing with Tracy Anderson. I was Jazzercising all the time and I did not like the way I was taking shape. I found Tracy and did the mat w/o 5-6 days a week for about 3 weeks straight. After that is when people started telling me how great I looked. I had not lost weight, but her training changed my shape. How do you like her arm work?? I LOVE the music on her video.

For the record - Nothing has bulked me worse then Slim in 6!

Donna,

If this conversation got you to bust out your Exhale video, then my work here is done When it comes to form, some days are better for me then others. I kind of "wiggle around" in the pose until I feel something happening. You know, that painful burning sensation we all love?

Hi Kiley!
I have that winsor 20 minute workout on my computer. I will see if I can pm a download link for you. I have not done it in a long time, maybe I can revisit that this weekend. I have 2 of the Tracy Anderson pop videos too......
Old 11-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Slim in 6 bulked me also And I know some people say you should stick with it and you will start to see slimming but as soon as I looked bulky I quit and have not done it again. Callanetics is superior to all other workouts for slimming the hips inner and outer thighs and lifting the butt.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKat View Post

Tracy Anderson Mat Video: ! I know this is a lower body thread but where this video really shines is her arm work. ohmygod. You wave your arms around like you are dancing, but only with your arms. You don't use any weights. You feel like your arms will shrivel and die. Then after 7 minutes or so of that, she has you pick up 3lb dumb bells (up to 3lb, 3lb may be to heavy to start, believe it or not) and you do it again! I have not lifted weights gym style since for my upper body and I am more defined then ever.

-K
You are right about the arm work - it is a killer- total arm section is about 15 mintues - sometimes I break it up into two sessions if I'm tight on time. You don't lift heavy? I don't use heavy weights either.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Cassie2 where ever you are - dont think I forgot about you getting your BOS video! I want to know how you did!

MSN: yes callan is elite.

Locarb: I have not gotten to the videos yet, but once I do I will let you know

Yes Tracys arms are killer! I do not lift heavy anymore at all. I don't do any weights on lower body at all. This morning I got my Exhale Core in and I did do half of their arm segment with 3lb weights. I DO get some arm work in on my cardio w/o's. I am loving Amy Bento kickboxing right now. So between the punches and the short push up drills, my arms get all the work they need to stay toned. I have missed my TA arm workouts the last couple weeks due to my Exhale love. I will be incorporating her back in. So many videos, so little time!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Hey LeoKat! Here I am!

I did Buns of Steel this morning. Ow-chi-mama. I didn't make it through all the reps, but it sure feels like it's gonna work!

Now I need to get me a headband.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Cassie you make me miss my video so bad! I am going to steal it back from the lady I loaned it to. I actually loaned it to someone in my Jazzercise class! How fitting.

Here's your headband girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headband.jpg (22.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I did 14 minutes tonight of floor work from the Original Buns of Steel - OMG - it was a killer. I've had the DVD for several months and just tried it tonight for the 1st time. I'll definitely have to work up to the whole workout, but something is better than nothing.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

LOL! Thanks for the headband, LeoKat! I woke up so sore this morning. Love it!

I hope you can get your BOS video back soon.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Hi there Donna and Cassie,

I went to my Jazzercise class last night hoping to run into the lady that I loaned my BOS video to but she was not there! I will have to go back on Wed to try to run into her.

I have been keeping up with my workouts and added in Squeeze Stronger on Sat and I still have DOMS! That was killer.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glory be
Stats: 10 Lbs down. 30 to go.
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: mar.11.2010
Need some advice.

Hey Leokat,
I know u didn't say you're an expert on this but maybe u or somebody else might be able to advice.
I am an apple shaped woman. Biggest problem area is the middle. It kind of dictates what happens to the rest of my body. I have been doing Jillian Michael's dvds, love them a lot, but am short too and figure that bulking won't do me any good. Jillain does an all over workout, but can u or anybody steer me in the direction of a good/ not insanely challenging abs workout?
As for callanetics, neva heard of tht till a few weeks ago. Everyone seems to rave about it. Can it be done by "big" pple too?
I'll appreciate all responses
Glory be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #26
Video Vixen

Gallery: MLE777
Stats: 148/146/122 5'2"
WOE: In need of a plan I can stick with, sigh
Start Date: 04/01/14
I love the Tracy Anderson Mat Workout as well. The music is great.

Another great lower body workout that you should try is the new Physique 57 workouts. The lead instructor is the extreme opposite of Tracy Anderson. She talks non-stop and is over-enthusiastic, but the workouts are a lot of fun and great for the lower body
MLE777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #27
Video Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory be View Post
Hey Leokat,
I know u didn't say you're an expert on this but maybe u or somebody else might be able to advice.
I am an apple shaped woman. Biggest problem area is the middle. It kind of dictates what happens to the rest of my body. I have been doing Jillian Michael's dvds, love them a lot, but am short too and figure that bulking won't do me any good. Jillain does an all over workout, but can u or anybody steer me in the direction of a good/ not insanely challenging abs workout?
As for callanetics, neva heard of tht till a few weeks ago. Everyone seems to rave about it. Can it be done by "big" pple too?
I'll appreciate all responses.
Glory,

Maybe some of these threads might help

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ex...educe-fat.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ex...ed-people.html
Old 12-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
LeoKat, thanks for the info.
I am heavily pear shaped and have tried everything to reduce my thighs. I have started doing Callanetics 10/10 DVD since past 2 months, doing it 2-3 days every week. It has reduced my upper body and also somewhat my lower body. But it hasnot given me the drastic results in my thighs that everyone raves about. I still love it for the flexibility and increased stamina.
I am so happy to find someone in a similar position progress so much. I am going to try to buy atleast 1 of these DVDs to add to my Callanetics routine.
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #29
Video Vixen

Newmomtx - One thing that I always firms and reduces my inner thighs is walking. I'll walk (quickly) 3 miles 3 times a week. When I stick with this, my legs are so much thinner.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newmomtx
Stats: 129/129/110 5'2"
Thanks Emily.

I love brisk-walking, but cannot do it in winter.. its so cold outside -brrr

by the way, just ordered the Exhale core fusion thighs & glutes to compliment my callanetics
newmomtx is offline   Reply With Quote