Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cybersparkle
Stats: 168/140/125
WOE: Moderate carbs, no program yet
wow! I am just on my 7th hour of Callanetics and I have seen results and I love it. I have also been researching for similar workouts- I was a "weights & cardio" person til a few weeks ago and am a newbie to barre like exercise.

But I know I will eventually need more than Callanetics so I wont get bored w/ just one kind of workout all the time. I ran across P57 and thought it looked like a gem but wasnt sure if it was all just hype. You ladies have convinced me it is as good as it looks and soon as I can afford it (just bought all the callanetics dvds) I plan to get P57.

The thigh dancing is great, updated, upbeat variation of the Callanetics pelvic rotation- that move alone was enough to convince me the dvds are worth it.

I def plan to keep up w/Callanetics- but I am thinking of trading some Jillian Michaels (or some older FIRM dvds) for some P57- does anyone know of sites where they trade exercise dvds?

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

well, I couldnt wait and ordered the dvds they will be here by next tuesday and I just cant wait!
When the dvds get here, I think I will start a Physique 57 challenge and continue on the Callanetics challenge. I hope someone joins me!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cassie2
Stats: 233/225.2/150-160
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Cybersparkle, if you start it, I will join!
cassie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

cool The dvds should be here by next Tues at the latest- man, I wish it were today Nevertheless, soon as they arrive- I'm posting! Cant wait to hear others experiences....
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yllenia
Hi, been away from the Forum for a while (Hello Em!), transferred to a new country. I got the Physique 57 DVDs a week ago and I must say it's the best invention ever since Lotte Berk passed away. Chapeau to Tanya really!
Yllenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Just got the physique 57 dvds today and reviewed them- they look really good!
I have only done Callanetics 10/10 (about 12 hours total) and some moves from Callan Evo and an arm & ab section from Core Fusion- I'm a newbie to barre workouts.
I saw lots of Callanetics moves- seemed like the hip & behind were done in more standing positions. The ball seems like it intensifies everything for the thighs.
The ab work looked really creative and seems like the extra cushion maybe helps with the lower back and less neck strain therefore allowing us to do more ab work safely, I think.
I enjoyed the upbeat music- a nice change of pace from Callanetics- tho the lyrics and the instructors directions kinda got in the way of each other- I prefer upbeat but w/ no lyrics. The express dvd music seemed less distracting.
There were modifications- but once again (as w/ Callanetics 10/10) no modifications for the knees on the thigh work I have to open my knees more and not lift up as much. I hope that the modifications that I found in Beginning Callanetics dvd and 30 day countdown Callan book will help here as well.
The only thing missing was the long, relaxing leg & back stretches from 10/10. In the end stretch the advance instructor impressively while on her back, stretched her leg up and easily put the heal of her foot up to her ear. Yep- that's what I said she has got to be doing more than p57 to be that flexible! Even with 10/10 or SuperCallanetics, is it really possible unless u r a professional dancer or yogini?
I'm re-building my workout library to be mostly barre this will nicely rotate with Callanetics adding muscle confusion, I think.
I havent reviewed the arm & ab booster yet, but I'm sure it will be a winner too!
I'm gonna do the full workout tonite (this time instead of waaay over doing like I did with my first 10/10 :blush I am going to do the modified moves so I will be functional tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllenia View Post
Hi, been away from the Forum for a while (Hello Em!), transferred to a new country. I got the Physique 57 DVDs a week ago and I must say it's the best invention ever since Lotte Berk passed away. Chapeau to Tanya really!
Wow- p57 seems to really have impacted you! May I ask specifically what about it makes it different from other Lotte Berk based workouts?
They say you wont plateau- so far have u found that to be true?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

OMG Ijust finished p57 full workout and I am blown away! Btwn this and Callanetics- if I continue- it will be impossible for me to not be in shape!

Callan's dvds gives the appearance of serenity and ease. P57 seems fun and lighthearted silliness. Talking about illusions I think both approaches help you to forget that you are possibly engaging in the hardest workout of your life!

I think that having done Callan's workouts first, I can somewhat hold proper form a little better. I could barely finish the workout and probably wouldnt have if I hadnt done Callanetics first.

I've never used a ball before, the cushion under the mat is new and I ended up using two straight-back kitchen chairs pushed together cause you have to hold on wider than your shoulders on some moves. I struggled a little with all the new stuff but I know in time I will make it flow.

I am so glad that I pushed past that first hard 10/10 and now know that it really does get easier and results are guranteed! This too is worth the newbie discomfort and will def pay off in the long run
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zimasue
Stats: 164/150/120
Just did my first full body workout! It was sooooo hard had to take many breaks I also have done callan workouts which I love but this p57 is so much fun super hard but I still loved it!
zimasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellenalesa
Stats: 190?/177/160ish
WOE: Starting HHCG Rogue 7/12/11
Start Date: July 12, 2011
Eagerly awaiting P57

I ordered the Abs and Arms and was so impressed with it that I went back and ordered the whole set.

I have been doing Callanetics since August of 2008 and have never been comfortable with the ab work. I use a little ball under my mid back and that helps me to round up.

The ab work in Abs and Arms is fantastic! I feel my abs firing from the very first rep...and I don't normally feel my abs.

I should tell you that I have quite a bit of fat on me, so I probably won't see any ripped arms any time soon. But I can tell you that when I was doing Callanetics and eating right (for me), I got smaller pretty quickly.

I hope to have the dvds by the end of this week or the beginning of next. perfect timing, because as it gets colder outside, I don't want to go to they gym!
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:47 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
P57 kicks my butt. I've done all the others and this one is...kick butt. I never liked Callenetics but loved Bar and LB. I thought P57 would be manageable. Nope. Kicked my butt. Totally. I am going to stick with this every other day and try to work up for everyday.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

P57 saved me this Thanksgiving! This year, I was determined to not pack on the pounds- the holidays is where my weight gain began several years ago. I had a hearty meal then FROZE all the left overs so I dont gorge the rest of the week!

I worked out 6 days a week last week and am doing P57 this morning. My muffin top is steadily shrinking and abs getting tighter.

I need to step things up and am going to do P57 classic at least 4xs a week and more cardio on btwn days. Since Callanetics my knees have improved, stamina and I think I am ready to tackle more cardio.

I also have Tracy Anderson mat and following her philosophy of working out 2 hours a day- I'm being inspired and challenged- trying to break some barriers in my mind. Getting ready for 2010 and starting off the new year the healthy way.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: midlight21
Stats: 330/288/180
WOE: SBD
Start Date: 10/10/12....again
Ha....funny I should find this today as I was just looking at p57. Glad to know its getting lots of good reviews. I have an injured shoulder that I'd like to not reinjure. Are there any modifications that are easier on the shoulders?
midlight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlight21 View Post
Ha....funny I should find this today as I was just looking at p57. Glad to know its getting lots of good reviews. I have an injured shoulder that I'd like to not reinjure. Are there any modifications that are easier on the shoulders?
I am most familiar with the Classic dvd. It does have a little arm work (biceps, triceps, planks), but not too much. The longest part of the workout and most intense is on the legs, thighs and abs. I think u would still get a great workout if you skipped the arm sections.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inertia6
Update on P57 love affair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
OMG Ijust finished p57 full workout and I am blown away! Btwn this and Callanetics- if I continue- it will be impossible for me to not be in shape!

Callan's dvds gives the appearance of serenity and ease. P57 seems fun and lighthearted silliness. Talking about illusions I think both approaches help you to forget that you are possibly engaging in the hardest workout of your life!

I think that having done Callan's workouts first, I can somewhat hold proper form a little better. I could barely finish the workout and probably wouldnt have if I hadnt done Callanetics first.

I've never used a ball before, the cushion under the mat is new and I ended up using two straight-back kitchen chairs pushed together cause you have to hold on wider than your shoulders on some moves. I struggled a little with all the new stuff but I know in time I will make it flow.

I am so glad that I pushed past that first hard 10/10 and now know that it really does get easier and results are guranteed! This too is worth the newbie discomfort and will def pay off in the long run

Thanks for this great info! I fell in love with Callanetics this fall, but realized that I needed to shake things up. I couldn't have done the Lotte Berk Method or Core Fusion without having done Callanetics first (about 19 hours so far), and she definitely has the best stretches... I didn't like the abs as much there, though - LBM better - so mixing them up has helped me. I can't WAIT for my P57 discs to arrive.

How is it going for you, Cybersparkle? Still doing these and loving them?
inertia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia6 View Post
Thanks for this great info! I fell in love with Callanetics this fall, but realized that I needed to shake things up. I couldn't have done the Lotte Berk Method or Core Fusion without having done Callanetics first (about 19 hours so far), and she definitely has the best stretches... I didn't like the abs as much there, though - LBM better - so mixing them up has helped me. I can't WAIT for my P57 discs to arrive.

How is it going for you, Cybersparkle? Still doing these and loving them?
Yes, I am still doing them! I've had the flu for the last two weeks and slacked some and really miss working out. I do P57 2 to 3 xs a week, it's my "waist cincher" and "muffin top killer"- the most intense part of my weekly routine. Even the 30 minute one is really effective. Havent done the ab arm booster too much- I like Tracy Anderson Mat arm section a little better, no bulking of the arms, just toning & thinning. I do 10/10 when I need to feel relaxed but still toned and cant muster the energy for P57. I have The Bar Method but havent really gotten into them yet but still want to- same with Core Fusion.

P57 is supposed to be coming out with new dvds in March I think- they sent me a newsletter. I cant wait!

Did your dvds arrive yet? What did you think of your first P57 workout?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

P57 - love the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
Yes, I am still doing them! I've had the flu for the last two weeks and slacked some and really miss working out. I do P57 2 to 3 xs a week, it's my "waist cincher" and "muffin top killer"- the most intense part of my weekly routine. Even the 30 minute one is really effective. Havent done the ab arm booster too much- I like Tracy Anderson Mat arm section a little better, no bulking of the arms, just toning & thinning. I do 10/10 when I need to feel relaxed but still toned and cant muster the energy for P57. I have The Bar Method but havent really gotten into them yet but still want to- same with Core Fusion.

P57 is supposed to be coming out with new dvds in March I think- they sent me a newsletter. I cant wait!

Did your dvds arrive yet? What did you think of your first P57 workout?
Hi CyberSparkle! I got my DVDs on Friday afternoon and I did the express workout yesterday. WOW - I loved it! I kept up much better than I thought I would - I took a few breaks, but was really surprised that it went as quickly as it did. I too miss the stretches - I did all of the 10/10 stretches and some others afterward - if I hadn't, I'd be oh-so-sore today... I was still a little sore, but I still did an Ellen Barrett video (SlimSculpt) this morning to get my muscles moving.

In short - I love them. I think I will like the classic workout best... I really missed the stretches after each body section, and the classic pace seems a little less frantic. I thought that Tanya would annoy me, but I love her too! She says something tough but then she laughs, so she doesn't take herself too seriously, but she's still a good cheerleader.

Core Fusion is a blend of all of these - they do a lot of the same moves, but they're slower and calmer and always incorporate good stretches. That said, the pace is a little slow, and I couldn't imagine doing all 5 sections in a row... I tend to do Core Fusion segments after other workouts, like Lotte Berk or Callan or 30 Day Shred. I ordered the old Bar Method DVDs too - if I like them, I might order the newest set on their web site...

I bought a Fluidity bar on Saturday (for all the bar workouts). I tried the Beginner disc that came with the bar, and after Callanetics, I just laughed... What an excellent feeling! I do love the Fluidity bar (as I have limited furniture in my small house), and I'm glad I got a used one for a pretty good price (the lady had used it 2x, then it sat in her basement for years!)

I'll post more about progress and my schedule with these, but so far, I'm so psyched with these DVDs. I am glad to hear that there may be new P57 workouts this spring? YAY - "I love, I love, I love to work my butt" as Tanya would sing-song...

Sorry for the long post - enthusiasm makes me verbose.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

DId the full body workout this morning And I really think each time I do these they ge harder and harder to do others have told me that it is because im getting in better position each time, I know this is a killer workout! Also started the jillian Slimdown workout today should be great!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laurakitty
Stats: 158/158/132
WOE: Gluten & Dairy Free
Anyone still doing these? What are your results? I'm interested in buying these but want to hear how it is going over the longterm with these videos.
laurakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Not really answering your question, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurakitty View Post
Anyone still doing these? What are your results? I'm interested in buying these but want to hear how it is going over the longterm with these videos.
Hi Laurakitty! I am still doing these, but not with the frequency that I should be... I got caught up in a barre frenzy, so I've been rotating through all of the barre workouts (including The Bar Method - old and new, Pure Barre and both Pershing Squares, Fluidity Real Class, Tracy Anderson Mat, Tonique Mat, and Core Fusion...) I wish I could make myself stick to a rotation. I still think that P57 is the hardest and the most fun, although Fluidity RC and Pure Barre original are definitely not easy, just lower key. I still love Tanya best - Burr is a little too perky without the silliness, although Carrie Rezabek is quickly becoming a favorite too - she's hard core!

Go check out the videofitness.com forum for lots of reviews on P57 - people there are seeing great results - they have more willpower than I do to be faithful to one workout. Maybe Cybersparkle (or zimasue) will chime back in too - she seems to have been using these frequently. I feel that these DVDs are worth the money - they're having a preview sale now too - you can preorder, and if you don't like them, you can return them and just pay about $8 shipping...
Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

THese are so great you will not regret getting them. P57 says you will never hit a point where it is overly easy when you do reach that point where you think hey I can do this you go deeper into it and it does get harder, I find I still really struggle with the thigh workouts cause the deeper you go down you have more burn which is good and what you want. I have the mommy strech mark tummy and the other day I saw down where my "pouch" is that I am getting defenition down there which shock the H*** out of me cause I have not seen anything down there in years, other than flab and grossness! I also have weight I need to lose and I know if I do I will really see my muscles coming out!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Hi LauraKitty!

Yes, I have had wonderful results long term with P57! I havent tried all the barre workouts- only callanetics, the bar method, tracy anderson mat and recently Sqeeze stonger. But p57 is one of the best. The ab section of the Classic dvd- it not only makes the front of my stomach flatter, but it pulls the waist in tighter and tightens up the rib cage, making the entire area slimmmer. Their inner thigh work is the best! I have extra stubborn saddle bags and when I do 30 to 60 lying side leg lifts with 2 pd ankle weights- it fully tightens the entire thigh. But, I dont think everyone has saddle bags like me!

Inertia6 I too dont stick to rotations- I like to mix them up according to how my body parts feel any given day. I just got squeeze stronger and like to rotate her outer thigh work with p57 inner thigh work. In squeeze stronger- tracy mixes traditional weight work with barre & it's up beat music - I like her stuff too so far. I still like P57 classic ab work best. The reviews/comments on videofitness are thourough and come from many perspectives- newbie to professionals. I am on there often- just search for cybersparkle posts.

zimasue I am getting some definition too in the front of my abs We just gotta keep it up & one day it will be swim suit city for real

I am just so impatient! When are they going to come out with new dvds? I like variety and caved and got Squeeze stronger until P57 releases their new ones. They def have a customer for life here... they truly are one of the best.

Hope everyone has a wonderful workout week and happy spring
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zayna
bumping for updates years later.
zayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayna View Post
bumping for updates years later.
Hi Zanya!

My exercise routine has morphed over the past several years. I only do barre now as an add on (10 to 30 minutes) to other workouts. I no longer am exclusive with one method and only do low impact, medium intensity workouts. I try to listen more to my body rather than what I "think' I should do. I dont get on the scale much anymore, but I prob am btwn 135 & 140. I am at peace with this and also am working on my diet as well.

Currently, I am reaching a lot for Ellen Barrett, Leslie Sansone and several of the easier Jillians. I am tentatively dipping into yoga every now and then and forsee myself doing more in the future. I do a lot of free youtube workouts too.

I love variety now and find most methods lacking by themselves. I love how barre gets those smaller muscles. But it lacks stretching and cardio. I find with just barre I miss freer ranging motion at times. A little bit of barre goes a long way & it refines me in my hard to tone areas (muffing top, hips) after or before I do workouts of another method.

I post in forums where a lot of different methods are discussed and I learn so much about all the methods under the sun.

I hope everyone over here is doing well and still on the exercise journey!

Zanya, what made you bump after all this time?

Last edited by Cybersparkle; 01-21-2013 at 01:30 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zayna
Cybersparkle, I was looking for reviews on Physique 57. Callanetics is my stand by--but I was bored and felt the need to shake it up a bit with something similar but different. I do cardio and callanetics (different types of cardio from treadmills to epilipticals to zumba, etc).

I ended up buying physique 57 just to see for myself, and to have something different to do.
zayna is offline   Reply With Quote