LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chef
WOE: Low Glcemic Index Diet 3 years started with 6 week
Start Date: 11-20-2008
SLOW BURN STARTED JOIN IN!

Hi all,

Sazzie a member got me started with slow burn exercise and it feels great. I spoke to a trainer at my club who said depending on your bodies ability to rebuild you can do slow burn more than once a week. I am doing a powerful slow burn program three times a week. I am expecting tremendous results.

Pleae feel free to join in to gain muscle lose weight and stay motivated.

Join in and begin to get results today!

Jim
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
Chef, I need you to explain Slow Burn Exercise to me.
Do you think it will help strengthen my leg muscles?
I really want to try it but am just not sure exactly how to go about it.
Pcola Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Go Slow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcola Girl View Post
Chef, I need you to explain Slow Burn Exercise to me.
Do you think it will help strengthen my leg muscles?
I really want to try it but am just not sure exactly how to go about it.
Hi Mary,

Please google slow burn exercise. You will see video examples it is easy to do. I think it works a part of the muscle that we don't normally work? It is a way of thinking about the section of the muscle. I'm sure you will understand this concept after reading about slow burn.

I am doing this since tuesday 06-09-2009. I will be doing it again today 06-11-2009. I am doing slow burn three times a week due to my body response to muscle building as per a excellent trainers suggestion at my club.. You will read that this slow burn exercise is done once a week. making things easy for those who have little time to workout. I am taking the best of both worlds and giving it a try.

Sazzie, is doing slow burn with a trainer and knows all about how it works. I hope she pops in to tellus and let you know how it works for her at her age. She did say she was upping the weight often and it was getting hard. I say just do the slow burn exercise with a light weight until you get use to it.

Good Luck

Cheers

Jim
Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chef, I will look Slow Burn up and read up on it ok.
Still doing my other exercises.
Talk with ya later.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kittypet
Stats: 188/176/136
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: 5/20/2009
Hi Chef, I'm starting this today. I plan on working on Mondays and either Thursday or Friday depending on the week. Just joined a gym! Pretty excited about it. Do you use the monochromator (sp? right word?) I don't have one. Thought I'd just lift really, really slowly and see how it goes.

Have you seen any changes?
kittypet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Chef, I will look Slow Burn up and read up on it ok.
Still doing my other exercises.
Talk with ya later.
Hi Mary,

I really like slow burn. I did use a lighter weight real slow and it made a diiference. For example I use a couple of 45 lb dumbells and if I use a twenty slowly my muscles really pop out. it is hard to do exercises slowly and that is where the gains are so I will kep it up and let you know.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations on gym! Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypet View Post
Hi Chef, I'm starting this today. I plan on working on Mondays and either Thursday or Friday depending on the week. Just joined a gym! Pretty excited about it. Do you use the monochromator (sp? right word?) I don't have one. Thought I'd just lift really, really slowly and see how it goes.

Have you seen any changes?
Hi Kit-pet and welcome,

I have seen changes right away. I have been exercising for a long time never have I done the slow-burn.

You are right about lift slowly. Just go slow up and then down. The lift should be like one two three four five and then down slow. I hold at the top og the lift for a second or two thats called the static stop. I think this will work. Two days is great. I am doing three days of slow burn lifting then four days of Iron cardio. I am just building up muscle then I will lean myself down and lose fat.

I think if we just keep trying and don't give up we can see results soon.
At the very least you will be ready for holiday eating the end of the year.

Welcome and let me know how you are doing.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess you could say that I have been slow burn exercises for awhile now because with all my arthritis I have I have to move slow.
I do use hand weights, light ones though. I also use my elastic bands still to and have learned how to do all sorts of exercises with it.

I also bought me a kick board to use in the pool, it is to help strengthen the legs and thats what I need right now. My arms have strength in them ok.
--------------------------------------------------
I found this article on the older generation doing slow burn exercise for different types of arthritis's . So if someone with arthritis and has their exercise limited to what they can do, Slow burn is excellent fot it.

"Slow Burn Exercises to Build Strong Bones and muscles"
By Muryal Braun
I have been a nutritional researcher for over 40 years, actively promoting a healthy lifestyle through article writing, lectures, and my recent ebook 7 Secrets ... ...

Osteopenia Exercise

Osteoporosis.UsasGuide.comOsteoporosis and Osteopenia can be reversed with natural methods. It is no secret that exercise is important for maintaining health. And walking is usually recommended for weight bearing exercise to help the bones. However, in 2003, a new concept hit the market that has caused exercise to be not only a possibility, but a wonderful opportunity for fitness for those who are not able to walk due to foot problems or other reasons and for those who live in a climate that is not conducive to outdoor exercise.

Instead of weight bearing, it is now possible to obtain amazing results with simple weight lifting exercises that take only 20-30 minutes every 5-7 days. These exercises have been used for patients in nursing homes who were wheel chair bound or who could not lift even small weights. Some of these patients were able to resume walking and discover a freedom they had not enjoyed for years. One lady was 92 years old and decided she wanted to play golf. She was told she didn't have the strength in her arms to play even if she rode a golf cart instead of walking. At the suggestion of a friend, she immediately embarked upon the exercise program using light dumbbells and gradually worked up to using 15 pound weights and she did learn to play golf!

The above illustration confirms the well-known fact that exercise builds muscles, but the Slow Burn Fitness Method has demonstrated that bones are also strengthened through exercise with weights. In The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution: The Slow Motion Exercise That Will Change Your Body in 30 Minutes a Week (Broadway Books, 2003), Dr. Mary Dan Eades and Dr. Michael R. Eades used their long history of nutritional and metabolic expertise to collaborate with Fredrick Hahn, a strength-training expert who had spent over twenty years refining the techniques of slow-speed strength training. Combining medicine, exercise, science, and weight-training, they revealed the benefits of simple exercises-with weights-that are done very slowly to improve not only muscles, but also the bones. They were able to explain how developing muscles also stimulates the bone to become stronger.

Besides being so doable, these exercises take such a small amount of time to complete that they can be fitted into even the busiest of schedules.

Last edited by Pcola Girl; 06-16-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Old 06-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Best response post ever!

Quote:
I guess you could say that I have been slow burn exercises for awhile now because with all my arthritis I have I have to move slow.
I do use hand weights, light ones though. I also use my elastic bands still to and have learned how to do all sorts of exercises with it.

I also bought me a kick board to use in the pool, it is to help strengthen the legs and thats what I need right now. My arms have strength in them ok.
--------------------------------------------------
I found this article on the older generation doing slow burn exercise for different types of arthritis's . So if someone with arthritis and has their exercise limited to what they can do, Slow burn is excellent fot it.

"Slow Burn Exercises to Build Strong Bones and muscles"
By Muryal Braun
I have been a nutritional researcher for over 40 years, actively promoting a healthy lifestyle through article writing, lectures, and my recent ebook 7 Secrets ... ...

Osteopenia Exercise

Osteoporosis.UsasGuide.comOsteoporosis and Osteopenia can be reversed with natural methods. It is no secret that exercise is important for maintaining health. And walking is usually recommended for weight bearing exercise to help the bones. However, in 2003, a new concept hit the market that has caused exercise to be not only a possibility, but a wonderful opportunity for fitness for those who are not able to walk due to foot problems or other reasons and for those who live in a climate that is not conducive to outdoor exercise.

Instead of weight bearing, it is now possible to obtain amazing results with simple weight lifting exercises that take only 20-30 minutes every 5-7 days. These exercises have been used for patients in nursing homes who were wheel chair bound or who could not lift even small weights. Some of these patients were able to resume walking and discover a freedom they had not enjoyed for years. One lady was 92 years old and decided she wanted to play golf. She was told she didn't have the strength in her arms to play even if she rode a golf cart instead of walking. At the suggestion of a friend, she immediately embarked upon the exercise program using light dumbbells and gradually worked up to using 15 pound weights and she did learn to play golf!

The above illustration confirms the well-known fact that exercise builds muscles, but the Slow Burn Fitness Method has demonstrated that bones are also strengthened through exercise with weights. In The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution: The Slow Motion Exercise That Will Change Your Body in 30 Minutes a Week (Broadway Books, 2003), Dr. Mary Dan Eades and Dr. Michael R. Eades used their long history of nutritional and metabolic expertise to collaborate with Fredrick Hahn, a strength-training expert who had spent over twenty years refining the techniques of slow-speed strength training. Combining medicine, exercise, science, and weight-training, they revealed the benefits of simple exercises-with weights-that are done very slowly to improve not only muscles, but also the bones. They were able to explain how developing muscles also stimulates the bone to become stronger.

Besides being so doable, these exercises take such a small amount of time to complete that they can be fitted into even the busiest of schedules.
Hi Mary,

A very excellent post of slow burn. I hope others read and are helped by your post.

I think you could build points about what you wrote into future posts to keep the main idea/thinking about what you are saying about slow burn on the front burner Pardon the pun

I think a slow burn exercis program is great! SAZZIE WAS BEING INSTRUCTED BY A TRAINER ABOUT SLOW BURN PROGRAM. I hope she pops in to post with an update and to confirm how it works like you have posted about.

I had a great strength training workout yesterday. I am doing slow burn on Tues~Thurs~ and Sun. The other days I am doing Iron Cardio. I like the slow burn because it further changes up my exercise program and makes it interesting.

Cheers

Jim
Old 06-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just me checking in. Been doing some of my exercises here in the house today. Its too hot outside right now to do anything there, Its up to 98 deg. here today. Been waitng till evening to go for my swim and do my water exercises.
I just used my elastic band this morning some and did all my stretches and squats I do.
Will ride the old faitful exercise bike some today to. I ride it while I listen to my music.

I hope Sazzie and others to join us here to.

My ankle is doing ok, it still hurts but I never let any pain slow me down too much.
I still have it all wrapped up so its ok.

See ya later Chef.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 230/215/190
WOE: Just cutting out carbs and excercising
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks for the great tips. I have only been dieting for a month or so and this is the only dieting forum I have ever joined. Thanks for the great tips.
christinefranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Christine, glad you could join us here.
Hope you post often.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinefranklin View Post
Thanks for the great tips. I have only been dieting for a month or so and this is the only dieting forum I have ever joined. Thanks for the great tips.

Hi and Welcome

Just the begining here for this. I hope you do the slowburn I can feel my muscles as tight (a nice feeling) after only doing the slowburn twice.

Mary is great for support and we both will help motivate you.

Please check out Fat Burn / Strength Building for a change up motivational thread on this board.

Cheers

Jim
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome Christine, glad you could join us here.
Hope you post often.
I reduced the bicep lift to 20 lbs. I go so slow. My muscle bulges out and I get a great workout from such a light weight. Members at the club wonder what I am doing and how can a 20 lb dumbell cause a big guy to break a sweat.

If you haven't tried this I would recommend it even the powerlifters shoud try and let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Can you do this with the machines at the gym and lift slowly? Will you still get good results?
KellyMarie38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Excellent Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie38 View Post
Can you do this with the machines at the gym and lift slowly? Will you still get good results?
Hi KM,

I do do the slow burn with all my weights. (sslect a weight and plate loaders) but it works best for me with the small dumbells when I concentrat on the bicep. I also am trying slow burn with my rowing machine. You have brought up an excellent question. I am in the process of trying slow burn with all my exercises cardio and lifting.

I would hope a slow burn guru might pop in and grace us with their presence but until then keep trying it out.

Let me know how it is going. By the way I grew up in Berlin lived and went to Worc. Academy in Worc. and lived in Boston during 1975 playoffs I lived in the building that overlooked Fenway. Great times thanks for reminding me.

Cheers

Jim
Old 06-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone, nice to see you doing well with the slow burn.
I have noticed my arms toning up alot since I have been swimming so much this summer.
Still have alittle loose skin underneath my arms though. Been trying to get rid of that with some arm exercises and the use of my elastic band.
I do have to take it slow and easy with all this arthritis I have but it feels good to go slow to me.
When I was younger I went and exercised in the fast pace and I remember how sore I use to get from it to, but no more, going slower I hardly ever feel sore like that.
Now when I first began my swimming at the first of the summer warm months here, I did get sore in my arms and shoulders some, but that soon went away and now I can swim for a long time and not even feel any soreness.
Trying to build the muscle in my legs to, since the back surgeries it had left my legs weak but I think they are gradually getting alittle stronger each day. Not like they should be or I want them to be, but better.

I only lift small hand weight, I have some for my pool I use in it and some here in the house for my exercises. I have some 5lbs. ones and I think they are 10lbs. ones to. Most times I use the heavier ones.
I have not tried to do weights like you all do at the gym since my back surgeries, don't know if I could or if it would hurt me. So I will just continue my own weight lifting with my hard weights.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
i am gonna try this
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Deb. think you will like the Slow Burn . It works good for me because there are alot of exercises I cannot do because of my arthritis. So taking it slow and easy has really been good on my old body.
You can go to a gym to do it or do it at home like I do. I have my office\exercise room all set up just for me to do my exercises. I have a exercise bike, a step up, exercise ball, elastic bands, the only thing I do not have is a treadmill and all sorts of hand weights. I am trying to find me a treadmill that is not so expensive. I'll run across one someday.
I am still doing my water aerobics and swimming to.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
i am gonna try this
Hi Deb,

I hope you do try and I hope it works for you. Any amount is good. Please let us know how you are doing and how you use slow-burn.

Cheers

Jim
Old 06-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sara7272
Stats: 269/242/160 5'4"-31yo
WOE: Low carb my own way, started at 280 in 9/2010
Start Date: Starting over.... 1/6/14
After reading this thread, I am sold on Slow Burn!!!

Where do you recommend I start? By reading the book? Finding stuff online? I'm not all about paying for a trainer right now, any advice would be super!!! Thanks in advance!!! And you all sound like you're doing great!! You're an inspiration!
Sara7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

OK lets GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara7272 View Post
After reading this thread, I am sold on Slow Burn!!!

Where do you recommend I start? By reading the book? Finding stuff online? I'm not all about paying for a trainer right now, any advice would be super!!! Thanks in advance!!! And you all sound like you're doing great!! You're an inspiration!
Hi Sara,

This is easy for me I have some weights. I hope you do perhaps 5 lbs to start or use a heavy thing around the house that could be like a dumbell.

I watched a video when I googled slow burn. I saw enough to get started. I did this because a member was doing slow burn with a trainer at her club and I thought the member would post back in soon with updates. So we are on our own.

OK so slow burn see the video you will see a man lifting a handheld dumbell from waist level to mid chest height real slow.

So I tried this at my club Global Fitness in Saratoga Springs next time I went. I used a 20 lb.handheld dumbell and you know I tried for three sets of 5-6 reps. It was hard and my muscles buldged out. Going slow hooked me.

I now do bicep lift as aformentioned I am seated so I get a good movement. Then I do Tricep with one knee on a bench lifting the 20 lb weight up to sholder height then back as high as I can and real slow.

I also do 10- 15 other exercises on machines-the plate loaders-the select-a-weight and free weighs. So you can take slow burn to a level as much as you want. This is spoken of as a once a week thing but I do 3 days a week. If you do slow burn you can get results once a week~ But; I don't think personally that once is enough. I think if you do two times a week several exercises with weight increasing the weight every week or two until you are at a good amount of weight then you will see the results you want or at least be strong and lean and have a nice shape.

I have a hard time losing weight so I must rely on exercise and diet right now I have a WOL and a great eating plan that I change up all the time so I don't get bored.

Slow burn for me does work and gives motivation because it is a change up so it is interesting.

Sound like you have lost Great! keep up the outstanding efforts.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara, watching the video I would think should be the first start on Slow Burn for you.
I am happy you joined us here to, let us know how you are doing ok.

I am still working on firming up my under arms and I think they are finally getting there. I noticed they were not as flabby as they were last week-end when I had a tank top on. So maybe all the swimming and other exercises are finally paying off for me.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #24
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Interesting thread. I remember giving Fred Hahn a hard time last year. Sorry Fred!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
Start Date: June 6, 2007
This interests me a LOT! Off to research.........
Mayberryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just wanted to say hi before I got ready to go outside for my swim today.
Been out all day and am tired, I walked alot today and have not done that in awhile. My knee is hurting me so I am going to soak itand my tiored body in the warm pool water.
See ya tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
Start Date: June 6, 2007
Oh man...I've been doing my Venuto workouts in slowburn style for the past several days. I'm doing about 1/3 the reps I was doing, but my muscles are completely taxed at the end of the workout. GOTTA be doing myself some serious good!

I was already seeing progress from lifting 3 days per week and doing rebounding with intervals 3-4 days per week. I'm thinking slowburn is just going to push me much further, much faster than I thought possible!
Mayberryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Keep up the great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
Oh man...I've been doing my Venuto workouts in slowburn style for the past several days. I'm doing about 1/3 the reps I was doing, but my muscles are completely taxed at the end of the workout. GOTTA be doing myself some serious good!

I was already seeing progress from lifting 3 days per week and doing rebounding with intervals 3-4 days per week. I'm thinking slowburn is just going to push me much further, much faster than I thought possible!
Hi M Fan,

Let us know what you are doing and how it works.

Cheers

Jim
Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJR72 View Post
Interesting thread. I remember giving Fred Hahn a hard time last year. Sorry Fred!
You might have been right to give FH a hard time? What do you find interesting
Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #30
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
You might have been right to give FH a hard time? What do you find interesting
I am giving slow burn a try. That is what I found so interesting.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote