Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chef
WOE: Low Glcemic Index Diet 3 years started with 6 week
Start Date: 11-20-2008
Did you drop out so soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara7272 View Post
After reading this thread, I am sold on Slow Burn!!!

Where do you recommend I start? By reading the book? Finding stuff online? I'm not all about paying for a trainer right now, any advice would be super!!! Thanks in advance!!! And you all sound like you're doing great!! You're an inspiration!
Hi Sara,

Let us know how it is going
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
I have not been able to do anything for the last three days because of a terrible stomach virus I had. Got it Saturday night and been ill with it till yesterday (Tuesday). I may try to do some today even though I still feel alittle weak.
Nice to see you all doing ok.
Pcola Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcola Girl View Post
I have not been able to do anything for the last three days because of a terrible stomach virus I had. Got it Saturday night and been ill with it till yesterday (Tuesday). I may try to do some today even though I still feel alittle weak.
Nice to see you all doing ok.
Are you doing your exercise bands slow in slow burn fashion? If yes, then, tell us how it make your muscles feel.

Mary, I have been eating Pickles only 5 calories and help with stomach issues. Try them if you are able to eat them. I find they help me get through hunger periods.

Cheers GO! SLOW-BURN!

Jim
Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes I am using my elastic bands still. I always go slow with them and they are helping me alot especially in my arm areas.
I am not all sure what to do with Slow Burn yet except for to take it slow and easy with the exercises. Is there something I am not doing right?

I am hoping I can get my swim in today later this aftenoon it we do not get a storm. Its clouding up now and I hear thunder already.

My stomach is still feeling alittle ucky so I will try to much on a pickle to see if it helps.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes I am using my elastic bands still. I always go slow with them and they are helping me alot especially in my arm areas.
I am not all sure what to do with Slow Burn yet except for to take it slow and easy with the exercises. Is there something I am not doing right?

I am hoping I can get my swim in today later this aftenoon it we do not get a storm. Its clouding up now and I hear thunder already.

My stomach is still feeling alittle ucky so I will try to much on a pickle to see if it helps.
Hi Mary,

I would say you are doing all just right. If you can see the muscle stand out and feel it then you are at 100% right. Go slow watch for muscle and add more weight if you can as soon as you can. That should build more muscle for you.

All the best for quick recovery for your health.

All the best.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doing ok today but my stomach is still alittle sore so I have been taking it easy and not doing any exercises that may pull in that area for awhile.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJR72 View Post
I am giving slow burn a try. That is what I found so interesting.
Thank for the post Lora form Mass. I grew up in Mass a wonderful time for me.

Let us know how slow burn is going?

Cheers

Jim
Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got in some of my exercises today. Rode the exercise bike some and did my elastic band stretches to for my arms and legs.
Doing ok these days.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Got in some of my exercises today. Rode the exercise bike some and did my elastic band stretches to for my arms and legs.
Doing ok these days.
Hi Mary,

I am enjoying Slow-Burn.

I hope Lora and Fan are still doing and enjoying slow-burn.

I have made gains so far I wonder if it will continue as I hope

Cheers

Jim
Old 07-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
Start Date: June 6, 2007
I'm still doing Venuto's workouts 3 times per week using the slow-burn style and things are going GREAT!! I showed my bicep to my brother the other day and he was like OMG! Wow!! Plus, people are starting to ask me - WHAT are you doing? You look great!!

I still got 40-50 lbs to lose but I'm seeing a big difference in how my clothes are fitting. I'm not weighing right now, so I don't know what I've lost lately, but I think things are going very, very well!! So happy!
Mayberryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
I'm still doing Venuto's workouts 3 times per week using the slow-burn style and things are going GREAT!! I showed my bicep to my brother the other day and he was like OMG! Wow!! Plus, people are starting to ask me - WHAT are you doing? You look great!!

I still got 40-50 lbs to lose but I'm seeing a big difference in how my clothes are fitting. I'm not weighing right now, so I don't know what I've lost lately, but I think things are going very, very well!! So happy!
Hi MFan,

That is such good news! I can understand because I am getting the same results.

I get out of my truck to walk into the store and my chest pops out like a bodybuilder. WOW! I also am very, very happy! with increases I have made with slow-burn.

Keep up the positive attitude you have it going on!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
Start Date: Every other day
I love Slow Burn (or other various approaches: SuperSlow, Body By Science, Power of Ten. I use a Soloflex Weight Machine and workout on Saturday mornings. I also use a heavy bag 3 days a week for 30 minutes at a time, with jumping jacks and abdominal work thrown in. (I refuse to use the term "core".) The High Intensity/Slow Repitition approach to strength training, in my oppinion works very well. And for those of us who don't have the time, or just don't want to languish in the gym for long periods of time it is excellent. And, for the most part it is somewhat safer on the body. Just don't forget to breath.

O43

Richard Dawkins

Weighed 09.07.13: 200 pounds
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over43 View Post
I love Slow Burn (or other various approaches: SuperSlow, Body By Science, Power of Ten. I use a Soloflex Weight Machine and workout on Saturday mornings. I also use a heavy bag 3 days a week for 30 minutes at a time, with jumping jacks and abdominal work thrown in. (I refuse to use the term "core".) The High Intensity/Slow Repitition approach to strength training, in my oppinion works very well. And for those of us who don't have the time, or just don't want to languish in the gym for long periods of time it is excellent. And, for the most part it is somewhat safer on the body. Just don't forget to breath.

O43
Hi O43,

Nice post! That is how I want others to think of slow-burn (as an exercise done in any program).

I like that you posted. I see you are a little post weak. Just jump in when you can. You can give a lot of support to others due to your powerful workouts.

Keep up the great efforts and please continu to post on your progress.

There are a few others who are giving feedback on slow-burn. I think we can come up with a great slow-burn workout to be used by many.

This is a just for fun project and not a attempt to steal slow-burn from the original slow-burn creator.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
Start Date: Every other day
Thank you Jim.

Normally my heavy bag routine (and I do it for leisure/down time) consists of 30-40 minutes on the bag. Wednesday evening I would work the bag three to four minutes, then do 20 3 count jumping jacks, and then do 30-60 seconds of ab work. (crunches, leg raises, body curls). I did this for 35 minutes.

My Saturday Super Slow workout looks like this:

weighted deep knee bends. (I have some lower back issues. keeping the weight under me, instead of my shoulders has worked very well)
incline press
compound barbell curl
dumbell lateral raises
body curls

I often interchange exercises: one armed dumbell presses, one armed rows (a very good bicep builder, as well as the back), bent over rows, etc.)

I do the 10/10 rep count (ten seconds up, ten seconds down) and try to find my optimal TUL (time under load instead of the "traditional rep). Depending on the lift my TUL is different for each lift.

Thanks for the post.

Jon
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry I have been away, but have had company for a week now and just been busy.
Really did not get much of my normally regular exercises in but I do go all week trying to keep my company entertained and I am just worn out to. Am resting up today so I will not stay long but will be back tomorrow to chat with you all.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Jim. I'm just LOVING this!! I used to HATEHATEHATE exercise with a passion, now it's almost the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning is what routine am I supposed to do today???!!!

I've decided to start doing weight lifting 4 days per week instead of three. What do you guys think??

My schedule would be something like this:

Sun: Venuto's workout A (slowburn style)
Mon: 30-40 minutes rebounding with HITT intervals
Tue: Venuto's workout B (slowburn style)
Wed: Rest day
Thu: Venuto's workout A (slowburn style)
Fri: 30-40 minutes rebounding with HITT intervals
Sat: Venuto's workout B (slowburn style)

I would LOVE some input! Is this too much?? I guess if I start feeling too tired I can lower the intensity of my rebounding days. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got some exercise in this morning with my elastic bands and also rode the old faithful exercise bike some to. Its storming outside so have not gotton in my swim in ther pool yet.

Messed up with my eating some last week when we had company all week and am trying to get back on track now with it.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Back

Hi all,

Thanks for posts. Will post to alll soon. Just back today from vaca.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over43 View Post
Thank you Jim.

Normally my heavy bag routine (and I do it for leisure/down time) consists of 30-40 minutes on the bag. Wednesday evening I would work the bag three to four minutes, then do 20 3 count jumping jacks, and then do 30-60 seconds of ab work. (crunches, leg raises, body curls). I did this for 35 minutes.

My Saturday Super Slow workout looks like this:

weighted deep knee bends. (I have some lower back issues. keeping the weight under me, instead of my shoulders has worked very well)
incline press
compound barbell curl
dumbell lateral raises
body curls

I often interchange exercises: one armed dumbell presses, one armed rows (a very good bicep builder, as well as the back), bent over rows, etc.)

I do the 10/10 rep count (ten seconds up, ten seconds down) and try to find my optimal TUL (time under load instead of the "traditional rep). Depending on the lift my TUL is different for each lift.

Thanks for the post.

Jon
Thats the way to go! Please let us know how slow burn is working? Do you find more muscle development in your opinion with this type of movement rather than th fast lift?

Thanks for the post

Jim
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim. I'm just LOVING this!! I used to HATEHATEHATE exercise with a passion, now it's almost the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning is what routine am I supposed to do today???!!!

I've decided to start doing weight lifting 4 days per week instead of three. What do you guys think??

My schedule would be something like this:

Sun: Venuto's workout A (slowburn style)
Mon: 30-40 minutes rebounding with HITT intervals
Tue: Venuto's workout B (slowburn style)
Wed: Rest day
Thu: Venuto's workout A (slowburn style)
Fri: 30-40 minutes rebounding with HITT intervals
Sat: Venuto's workout B (slowburn style)

I would LOVE some input! Is this too much?? I guess if I start feeling too tired I can lower the intensity of my rebounding days. Thanks!
Hi MFan,

Only you can answer your questions. For example I have done work that pushed the body til I was ready to drop then I got up and did it the next day.

I am now at an office job so no more work me to death days only simple stree that I can take to the club. So I can workout at max all day long and not feel it. But if I was not use to it I would cut back a little. Only you know what you can handle. I like your program as you decribe it. Try it your body will speak to you if it is to much. At least try.

Hey MFan I am doing slowburn as a part of cardio. I do cardio as iron cardio and do it slow. If on threadmill I use highest level and make it like walking up a mountain slowly. Just having the most fun. I am so glad to hear you are also having fun with workout. I think we are getting closer to a program that folks will find fun and stay with throughout life.

Best wishes

Jim
Old 08-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/172.8/150, 5'6", 30
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
I am interested in trying slow burn cause I really want to tone my upper body. But I do have a question or two, since I've never done this. How many reps do you do per set, or would it vary for what you could manage? And how many counts? I was thinking 6-8, but I don't know if that's too many for an entire move. Like 4 up and 4 down.

Right now I currently do 3 sets of 12 of about 15 different arm exercises with 5 lb weights, since that's all I have right now. I know it's a lot, but they all target different areas I want to improve and so far I've seen pretty good results. Overall my entire upper body workout is about 45 minutes, and I do that 3x a week.

Has anyone done the slow burn method for their lower body, such as squats/lunges? If so, did you see good results with that? Or what other lower body exercises did you do with the slow burn method if you did?

I'm interested to get some feedback from you guys. I would love to try this out on Monday, which is when I do my next upper body workout!

BMI before: 38.7
BMI now: 27.6
thisisrightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisrightnow View Post
I am interested in trying slow burn cause I really want to tone my upper body. But I do have a question or two, since I've never done this. How many reps do you do per set, or would it vary for what you could manage? And how many counts? I was thinking 6-8, but I don't know if that's too many for an entire move. Like 4 up and 4 down.

Right now I currently do 3 sets of 12 of about 15 different arm exercises with 5 lb weights, since that's all I have right now. I know it's a lot, but they all target different areas I want to improve and so far I've seen pretty good results. Overall my entire upper body workout is about 45 minutes, and I do that 3x a week.

Has anyone done the slow burn method for their lower body, such as squats/lunges? If so, did you see good results with that? Or what other lower body exercises did you do with the slow burn method if you did?

I'm interested to get some feedback from you guys. I would love to try this out on Monday, which is when I do my next upper body workout!
Hi T,

You are right! Do what you can that feels right and work up. I try for 6 and some I go to 8-12. I am doing slow-burn as Iron Cardio so it is with all execises. Like bike rower etc. Just do it slow as heavy as you can

Cheers,

Jim

Try squats let us know?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just wanted to say hi.

Been having some problems with my hips from my arthritis so have not been doing to much exercising except for the pool exercises.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just wanted to say hi.

Been having some problems with my hips from my arthritis so have not been doing to much exercising except for the pool exercises.
Hi Mary,

Thanks for posting I was worried that there might have been a problem.

I hope all is better ASAP.! Great that you are doing pool exercises. I think of all the young and able who do nothing to make themslves better. You are an excellent example of a person we can all strive to be like.

I am sure your positve attitud will help you recover quickly.

Cheers,

Jim

Hey this right now,

Any success with new program?

Last edited by Chef; 08-12-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did some of my exercise today with the elastic band. Am up and moving alittle better than I was. My hip and low back are beginning to feel better, just sore mostly now and not with all the sharp pains like it was.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
<snip> Has anyone done the slow burn method for their lower body, such as squats/lunges? If so, did you see good results with that? Or what other lower body exercises did you do with the slow burn method if you did?

Hey Laura,

I have been doing Venuto's A (more lower body) and B (more upper body) slow burn style for several weeks now and I'm getting great results. Oh lawrd! The slowburn lunges with weights HURTS!! But, my flat-ish behind is rounding out nicely.

I've upped my weights already and am doing a few more reps on some of the exercises that seem to be much easier now. I think I need to do more for my arms because they seem weaker still than my glutes and quads.

Anyway, give it a try! I think you'll like the results. And youtube is a great place to find various exercises demonstrated. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/172.8/150, 5'6", 30
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
Quote:
Hey Laura,

I have been doing Venuto's A (more lower body) and B (more upper body) slow burn style for several weeks now and I'm getting great results. Oh lawrd! The slowburn lunges with weights HURTS!! But, my flat-ish behind is rounding out nicely.

I've upped my weights already and am doing a few more reps on some of the exercises that seem to be much easier now. I think I need to do more for my arms because they seem weaker still than my glutes and quads.

Anyway, give it a try! I think you'll like the results. And youtube is a great place to find various exercises demonstrated. Good luck!
I tried it on Monday for my upper body, but all I have is 5 lb weights, so while some exercises were a bit tough, they weren't something I couldn't endure. I didn't really get that feeling of, "oh, I don't know if I can do anothe rep". I do however get that feeling when I do it like I would regularly. All I have on hand are 5 lb weights currently. I think I might need to go up to 7lb or 10 lb to actually feel the burn. I will try the squats and lunges slow burn though. How many reps do you do and for how many counts?

I don't want my booty to get anymore rounder. I'm trying to do the opposite! But I have noticed with my current routine (upper body and squats/lunges), I have been losing inches off my hips and thighs, which is nice. And my butt *is* getting a bit flatter and lifted from those bun exercises. Oh, do those burn. Those exercises where you get on all fours are the worst, but also the best.

Last edited by thisisrightnow; 08-13-2009 at 09:00 PM..
thisisrightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Way to go! Excellent!

Quote:
I tried it on Monday for my upper body, but all I have is 5 lb weights, so while some exercises were a bit tough, they weren't something I couldn't endure. I didn't really get that feeling of, "oh, I don't know if I can do anothe rep". I do however get that feeling when I do it like I would regularly. All I have on hand are 5 lb weights currently. I think I might need to go up to 7lb or 10 lb to actually feel the burn. I will try the squats and lunges slow burn though. How many reps do you do and for how many counts?

I don't want my booty to get anymore rounder. I'm trying to do the opposite! But I have noticed with my current routine (upper body and squats/lunges), I have been losing inches off my hips and thighs, which is nice. And my butt *is* getting a bit flatter and lifted from those bun exercises. Oh, do those burn. Those exercises where you get on all fours are the worst, but also the best.
Hi TRN,

Nice job putting all the exercises together. Sounds like you are trying real hard and putting a nice program together. Extra weight is a good idea but maybe go even slower and it might make the difference.

I hop the others will post back to you in a more timely manner so you can get an answer to your questions. REPS SETS. I like to do 3-5 sets of 6-20 reps but that is just me.

Keep up the great efforts!

Cheers

Jim
Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Right now I am mostly doing my water exercises in the pool. Been down some with my hips but am on the mend. So I am just doing what I can in the form of exercises.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mary,

And M Fan hope all is well. I changed my walk to be a slow run. Meaning I am in a running stance(if that is a correct way to say I am looking like I am running) and I go slow. I'm callling it a slow run. Lots of fun looks like I'm running fast but I am ging slow.

Best wishes to all trying the slow burn way of life. Keep it going!

Cheers,

Jim