Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Everal
Callanetics vs. T-Tapp

Can anyone compare these for me? Anyone out there who has used them both? Do you have preference?

Would they work together in any way?

Thanks.
Everal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nola baxter
Hi Everal
I have done t-tapp for 2.5 yrs ; and now callanetics for 4 months. I get better results with Callanetics. T-tapp is complicated to learn ; callanetics easier. I think you would find it hard to properly do/learn both at the same time. T-tapp really requires you to move your body in very particular ways that take quite a while to get the hang of - and require a lot of focus and body retraining.
Callanetics does the same thing - but in a simpler less complicated fashion.
You could do the try-before you buy exerciese on t-tapp site ; that would give you a good idea whether you would want to continue up this path

cheers
nola
nola baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nefercat
Stats: 170/168.5/150
WOE: Reasonable
Start Date: April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everal View Post
Can anyone compare these for me? Anyone out there who has used them both? Do you have preference?

Would they work together in any way?

Thanks.
Hi, I have used both. I started T-Tapp last summer. I now incorporate some useful bits of it in my routine, but overall, I respond much better to Callanetics.

T-Tapp positives for me: I learned how to protect my upper body and work it safely (in any exercise program). I keep the two walking workouts in my rotation because they help me keep good walking form (I use them along with Leslie Sansone).

The most obvious difference between the two workouts, in my opinion, is that with T-Tapp, there is an emphasis on keeping everything tight and tucked throughout.

Whereas in Callanetics, we are instructed to relax every part that is not involved in the movement.

So there is a very different "feel" between the two.

I think both techniques are useful, but people may respond better to one or the other, whether physiologically, mentally, emotionally, etc. We are all different.

Many people have had wonderful results with T-Tapp, but for me, well my heart belongs to Callanetics!
nefercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola baxter View Post
Hi Everal
I have done t-tapp for 2.5 yrs ; and now callanetics for 4 months. I get better results with Callanetics. T-tapp is complicated to learn ; callanetics easier. I think you would find it hard to properly do/learn both at the same time. T-tapp really requires you to move your body in very particular ways that take quite a while to get the hang of - and require a lot of focus and body retraining.
Callanetics does the same thing - but in a simpler less complicated fashion.
You could do the try-before you buy exerciese on t-tapp site ; that would give you a good idea whether you would want to continue up this path

cheers
nola
Nola,
Thank you for responding.

I actually am currently doing T-Tapp, so I wouldn't have a learning curve there.

I have read enough here about Callanetics to be interested, but it's difficult to switch programs. I want to give T-Tapp a very good chance to see what it can do. I also don't want to jump around from one thing to another to another and never stick with anything.

What do you find better about your results with Callanetics? What are you trying to accomplish?

I have nine children and I am trying to get my core muscles strengthened up.

Any more comments? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefercat View Post
Hi, I have used both. I started T-Tapp last summer. I now incorporate some useful bits of it in my routine, but overall, I respond much better to Callanetics.

T-Tapp positives for me: I learned how to protect my upper body and work it safely (in any exercise program). I keep the two walking workouts in my rotation because they help me keep good walking form (I use them along with Leslie Sansone).

The most obvious difference between the two workouts, in my opinion, is that with T-Tapp, there is an emphasis on keeping everything tight and tucked throughout.

Whereas in Callanetics, we are instructed to relax every part that is not involved in the movement.

So there is a very different "feel" between the two.

I think both techniques are useful, but people may respond better to one or the other, whether physiologically, mentally, emotionally, etc. We are all different.

Many people have had wonderful results with T-Tapp, but for me, well my heart belongs to Callanetics!

nefercat, Thank you also for your reply. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to type out their thoughts. I know that it takes time.

In T-Tapp (which I am currently doing), the idea that you keep everything tucked and tight has been very useful to me in the rest of my day. I have poor posture, but I am more and more aware of holding that stomach in, which in turn, causes better posture. Do you think that Callanetics will also improve my posture and core strength? I have nine children and I am trying hard to strengthen those core muscles.

How do you think that you respond better to Callanetics?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Also, another question for both of you and/or anyone else who wants to respond.

Does Callanetics take an hour a day? How many days a week for optimal results?

One of the things that I like about T-Tapp is that the Basic Workout is only 15 minutes. Even on a busy day, I can talk myself into 15 minutes. I have no excuse for not doing it. I also do the Hit the Floor, which is longer, but always in the back of my mind is that 15-minute workout.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
.......I have poor posture, but I am more and more aware of holding that stomach in, which in turn, causes better posture. Do you think that Callanetics will also improve my posture and core strength? I have nine children and I am trying hard to strengthen those core muscles.....Thanks.
Everal

I have not done T-Tapp, so I can't speak to a comparison whatsoever.

What I can attest to is the improved posture and core strength. It is AMAZING how THIS workout, as deceiving as it may seem, can target these areas to the extent that it does.

It is a very unique workout, unlike any other, and one I have decided to commit to for life.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mevluvmark
Stats: Bodyfat- 35.9, goal 23%
WOE: GodMade 2 days, ManMade 1 day
Start Date: Feb. 4th 2008, Oct. 24th 2010
Quote:
Also, another question for both of you and/or anyone else who wants to respond.

Does Callanetics take an hour a day? How many days a week for optimal results?

One of the things that I like about T-Tapp is that the Basic Workout is only 15 minutes. Even on a busy day, I can talk myself into 15 minutes. I have no excuse for not doing it. I also do the Hit the Floor, which is longer, but always in the back of my mind is that 15-minute workout.

Thanks.
Hey Everal, I know how it is to be torn between the two.......last year i started doing callanetics, after a month or so i was introduce to t-tapp. I was torn between the two, mind you that i was getting results with callanetics , but thought maybe i could get better results, so i stop doing callanetics and started t-tapp. I didn't want to do both, because in t-tapp they tell you to do only t-tapp at first then incorporate a difference exercise later on.

I done t-tapp for 7 months, i have not lose any inches. I stuck with it because i thought i was doing my forms wrong, so i tried to really concentrate on my form, but still there wasn't any inch lost. Then i thought it was my hormones (which i believe was some of my problems) so i tried ladybug move (it's for hormonal problems) it's a real good move, it help me to balance my hormones i still do it now, but still not alot of inch lost. After trying improve form, difference t-tapp workouts without no inch lost i decided to give callanetics another try. So i started with callanetic in feb, after 3 hrs my dh told me he can tell a difference already. He ask me "why did you stop doing callanetics in the first place you was getting results" i guess i thought t-tapp would be better for me.

T-tapp is good, but difference exercises work better for some folks. I still do PBS before any workout, LB move, OIP and hoedown after my meals. As for a complete workout i think i'll stick with callanetics. I really like it.

T-tapp might be good for you, callanetics might be better, who knows just try one for a while if you not getting the results you want, than try the other one.

If you decide to try callanetics, it's an hour long. I do callanetics 3 times a week and cardio three time but on the off days. Hope i help you.

Mev
mevluvmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

If I want to see what Callanetics is like, how can I do so?

And if I have to buy a dvd, what dvd would you start with? Are there seveal different workouts?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I am concerned about the hour long deal. I am pretty sure that I will never fit in an hour workout. Will I get results doing part of the workout?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
nefercat, Thank you also for your reply. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to type out their thoughts. I know that it takes time.

In T-Tapp (which I am currently doing), the idea that you keep everything tucked and tight has been very useful to me in the rest of my day. I have poor posture, but I am more and more aware of holding that stomach in, which in turn, causes better posture. Do you think that Callanetics will also improve my posture and core strength? I have nine children and I am trying hard to strengthen those core muscles.

How do you think that you respond better to Callanetics?

Thanks.
Hi Everal,
You are right about T-Tapp and posture, but for me the emphasis on tightening the lats and shoulders back is what has helped me with posture!

With Callanetics, after every workout, I *feel* very tall, graceful, tight, coordinated, etc. Callanetics definitely works the core! It gives me a real incentive to do the workouts. I actually look forward to them (some days, not all!).

Whereas, I struggle a lot to maintain form with T-Tapp. Some moves I know will never be easy for me. At the end I feel like a pudgy, overworked, sweaty piggy who will never get the moves right and has no chance of ever managing to concentrate on all the things I need to remember to do. It is not much a motivator *for me*. Again, I want to stress that this is how *I* react. For others, it is a challenge that they will be motivated to accept. Mind you, I think it makes for a tough workout which is obviously effective for many people.

We are all very different from each other and what works for one, might not work for another.

Also, and this probably will sound just silly, :blush:, but Callan just seems so nice at the end of a hard day . I get up at 5:00 to do aerobics before work, go off to work until 5:00, come home brain-fried and exhausted, and there is Callan telling me to relaaaax, let everything go except whatever muscles I am working on at that moment, let myself melt into the ground (all while acquiring a butt I could crack an egg on), I only have to think about one thing at a time... Callan knows I'm tired... I like the PM portion of the AM/PM workout. It's the exercise equivalent of someone putting your feet up on a footstool while handing you a glass of wine and giving you a neck rub, but so much better for you.

I think both workouts are very good for posture as there is so much emphasis on the core. For me the most useful parts of T-Tapp are upper-back strengthening and safety, and the walking techniques, both very valuable. I am now able to do modest free-weight shoulder and arms workouts that were previously not doable (rotator cuff and shoulder problems).

For a regular overall toning/strength/core/flexibility workout that I will stay with, Callanetics is what works for me.

And, congratulations on those nine kidlets! I am second of eight, and mom of three (baby is 22).
Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
If I want to see what Callanetics is like, how can I do so?

And if I have to buy a dvd, what dvd would you start with? Are there seveal different workouts?
There are several workouts:

Original Callanetics with Callan Pinckney:
"Callanetics" -- This is the "original" workout and the one are people are talking about who refer to "10 in 10" ("Ten Years Younger in Ten Hours"; the book with the original Callanetics workout). In my opinion, probably the best starter workout of the original Callanetics.
"Super Callanetics" -- the advanced workout;the movements are described in the 10 in 10 book. I am awestruck by people who can do this one. I have it, but am not ready for it yet!
AM/PM Callanetics -- This is based on the original workout, but is broken into two sections about 20-25 minutes each. Nicely arranged in my opinion. Quite a few people have had success starting with this one.
The "Quick Callanetics" series -- Three separate workouts, each about 20 minutes, based on the original workout, one for abs, one for hips/behind, one for legs/thighs. Probably not the best starter workouts.
"Beginning Callanetics" -- may want to consider this if you have physical limitations or issues.

The new Callanetics (endorsed by Callan):
"Callanetics Evolution": modernized, some modifications/improvements on the original exercises, with some new exercises. Three people showing three different levels, plus the instructor. Very true to the original style of soothing, calming workouts. This is a good starter workout also.
CardioCallanetics: A nice workout which has a 1/2 hour cardio workout and a 30-40 minute toning workout based on the Callanetics Evolution, but with some modest differences. The cardio workout can be done barefoot, but what a thigh killer!

Hope this helps!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nola baxter
re t-tapp/callan

Hi Everal
I am trying to eliminate saddlebags - this is my prime goal. Now I have not got the results I want from Callan in this area yet ;but still hanging in there!

However I did notice my waist/hips/stomach really came in with Callan , in a way they did not with T-tapp.
Now I did 2.5 yrs of t-tapp and worked it very hard, perfecting form as much as possible etc etc ; however did not results in the way I do with Callan. I can also say that t-tapp did nothing for my saddlebags that i can see either.

I think Callan works the posture actually better than t-tapp but in a gentler manner. I can pull a harder butt tuck with callan and shoulders also come back very well.
The simple focused moves of Callan enable you to really focus on/zero in , on the muscle, and along with the tight isometric contractions, can work the muscles in a way t-tapp doesnt.

my 2 cents!

nola
nola baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: catzrule
Stats: 153.8/139.6/128 (5'3")
WOE: Simeon's protocol - HCG
Start Date: November 20, 2002
Hi NeferCat, I started with Callan back in April 06 and moved to t-tapp in July 06 and haven't gone back to Callan. I love the stretches that you get with Callan and definitely quiver with alot of the exercises. From my pics, you can see I had great progress.

T-Tapp for me offers more bang for the move, so to speak. You work 5 muscle groups at a time in a single exercise and I've really gained strength without bulk. I really like the variety I get with all the t-tapp movements and feel it builds my core really well.

152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128
catzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ajay
Everal,
If you've been doing T-Tapp for a while have you seen any results? I'm getting back into exercing and am trying to figure out which to do. I've done T-Tapp in the past but I only saw small changes in my shoulders, and I have to admit it's given me a dread of working out. I'm thinking I should try callanetics and see if that works better.
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:10 AM   #16

Gallery: Dreamchaser
I am so glad to see this topic discussed! I bought and tried the t-tapp total workout. I couldn't get the hang of it so I bought the t-tapp MORE dvd hoping I would be able to understand the form better. Still couldn't get it. I am so frustrated and upset about it because I think t-tapp is an AWESOME workout. But unfortunately it doesn't work if you can't get the technique. There is so much to think about and remember with each move and the learning curve is just killing me.

EDITED TO ADD: If I could attend a t-tapp class I would do it in a heartbeat! Unfortunately I am not located close to any of them.

I am now thinking of trying callanetics instead and really hoping it is easier to understand!

Last edited by Dreamchaser; 03-15-2008 at 02:12 AM..
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #17

Everal - What did you decide to do. Are you planning on trying callanetics?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Everal - What did you decide to do. Are you planning on trying callanetics?
Dreamchaser, I am still in the middle.

I am currently doing T-Tapp and do not intend to stop. However, I have ordered Quick Callanetics for the abs and hips/bottom. I am going to try those without stopping my BWO of T-Tapp. However, I will stop the T-Tapp HTF (ab workout) for a while. If I see GREAT results from the Callanetics, like they all say , then I might drop T-Tapp. Then again, I might not. The T-Tapp is SO good for my knees, which I have problems with. And there is still something about that 15 minute workout that I just don't want to give up. On a day when I do have much time, I WILL try to fit in 15 minutes.

So... that's where I am. If you think of it, come back to this thread in a month or so, and I'll let you know where I am.

My Callanetics dvds have not arrived yet, by the way. I expect them tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #19

OK Everal. I'll be interested to see what you think about the callanetics. I am still contemplating trying the callanetics but now I'm also looking for a good video for beginners for working out with weights. I'll check back with you later
Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mevluvmark
Stats: Bodyfat- 35.9, goal 23%
WOE: GodMade 2 days, ManMade 1 day
Start Date: Feb. 4th 2008, Oct. 24th 2010
Hey, stop by to see how's everything going? I have been doing callanetics and its the BOMB!!!!! The march thread in callan is sizzling hot, can't keep up with it. So glad i stop t-tapp and started callanetics, but there are a few move i still do such as PBS, OIP, LB MOVE AND HD. Far as a complete workout it's callanetics all the way.

If anyone want to see some real good result check out Freeingmyself, she just post some pics in March thread on page 20, also check out lildragonfly in March page 1. These ladies are getting some real good results and freeingmyself has been doing callan for only one month, lildragonfly maybe a little over a month.

I take my measurements the first part of april, can't wait. My dh is so glad i started callan again, he told me after i did t-tapp for over 7 months that he couldnt see no improvement, i should have stay with callan.

Callanetics is my new love

Mev
mevluvmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

I'll check in here with a brief update after my first week. Some not to organized thoughts:

1. The Callanetics is not as satisfying to do as T-Tapp. I almost don't feel as if I've done too much. However, this is NOT a comment on the results. I am still hoping for the super results that everyone else has seen. This is just a comment on how I feel after doing it.

2. That being said, I must also add that the 20 minutes passes so quickly. It's just amazing to me, because it's the same length of time that I spend on T-Tapp. With Callanetics, it seems like I just get started and then I'm done. That's a plus.

3. I am still doing T-Tapp BWO (Actually, I do the TWO, but stop after the lunges). I am not willing to give it up at this time. It is very good for my knees, and I believe it is doing great things for my posture. The two workouts seem to fit very nicely together in my week. I don't feel any conflict between the two workouts. I think I could conitnue with the two in the long run.

4. The Callanetics is both easy and hard to do. It's not complicated, so in that way it is easy. The repetitions do not seem to be too difficult for me at this time. However, on a couple of the exercises, I just simply CANNOT do them the way they are intended. I do not have the strength. Also, my neck gets fatigued/sore easily with all of that rounded up back/neck stuff.

That's about all for now. I hope this is helpful to someone. I am sorry that it's disjointed, but it's the best I can do at this time.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #22

It's helpful to me Everal. Thanks so much for posting that. I appreciate it!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
I am now in this boat... wondering if I should take up Callanetics again or try something new with T-Tapp (I've really fallen off the exercise bandwagon!!). Can anyone comment on which has given the best results (I think the last post here was in 2008!! Hopefully there are some folks still around who might be able to give some new feedback). Thank you in advance!
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote