Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
JennyO

Gallery: JennyO
Any suggestions for exercises while bedbound???

Well, not exactly bedbound but at least chairbound. I have a broken foot and am either in bed or in a wheelchair for another 3+ weeks ( ). I have been using handweights and a bar for upper arm curls and arm extensions but I swear I can feel my back getting weaker and weaker. Does anyone know of any sort of upper and lower back strengthening exercises I can do from a seated or laying position on the bed?

Also, any abdominal suggestions would be much appreciated. So far I've just been able to do breath control abdominals (sort of like crunching without the crunch part if that makes sense) and some leg lifts with my good leg but that's it.

Any help / suggestions / links would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Last edited by JennyO; 08-07-2003 at 08:25 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2003, 08:55 AM   #2
JennyO

Gallery: JennyO
Thanks Dare, I went and checked out the website. It looks promising...the only problem is that I don't have a VCR - only a DVD player and it doesn't look like it's available on DVD.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #3

Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
Make sure you stay as active as possible. My husband got a blood clot in a lung and nearly died as a result of inactivity.

It is so important you might even want to ask the doctor to check your "clotting factors" and make sure you don't need to start asprin therapy.

Blood clots are one of the leading killers of all age groups.
Houston Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rondede
Stats: 185/?/140
You might want to check out some pilates tapes. Joeseph Pilate created "Pilates" for bedbound soldiers to keep their muscles toned.
Rondede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: amadeus4313
Stats: 244/221/144 77 more to go
WOE: One Day At A Time
You don't need a vcr to do the Bodyflex breathing. The video is only if you're going to do the poses. the breathing itself will be good for you.
amadeus4313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DTaverne
Try an Exercises called "Diagnals".

I realize some time has gone bye since you posted this info request, but if I stumbled across it today, others might also. That's why I'm going to tell you about diagnals.

I learned this at a physical therapy clinic where i was a PT-tech. It is progressive flexion of extremities in multiples of seven. They said 7 is the number required to access certain parts of the brain... what-ever... All I know is the patients who did these, got stronger and some even lost weight!

Here is the url to a video I made showing these exercises along with some others. Living with Hypoproteinemia (Low Protein): VIDEO - 3 Hospital Bed Exercises for Hospitalized and Bed-Bound Patients - VIDEO My blog is called "Living with hypoproteinemia". I hope your foot is all healed up. Best wishes... Dan, in Louisiana
DTaverne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: A chicken wing and a prayer.
It's marketed for seniors, but there is a show on PBS here called, "Sit and be Fit." There are DVD's of her show for sale on Amazon. I also saw a DVD called "Chair Aerobics for Everyone."

Good luck and hope you get better soon!
cowboyshootergirl is offline   Reply With Quote