Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Alex was such a good little boy to hold still while Carolyn checked his blood sugar and gave him his insulin. Carolyn is a wonderful private duty nurse! Alex looks alot like my Suki (the girl kitty we adopted from a friend a little over a year ago). My sweet little boy kitty that I adopted in Nov from my SIL is recovering at the vet from a minor surgery procedure. I hope Suki becomes sweet to him when he comes home tomorrow morning!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 04:54 AM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Good morning,

Yes, hopefully Suki will have catpassionate on her brother when he comes home!!! Monday is a great day to start.

Akkk. Dh has to go back to OKC so that they can defilm his other eye. Will it ever end???

My accountability group is coming this morning at my house. It is through the church. We have a good time of encouragement. You all are my weight loss accountability group!! I need it!!

Yes, Sandy, how funny that your friends are like that!!! Sometimes a group needs a few quiet ones that can listen.

Dh had dinner with ds last night. Ds went to a 20s church group on Tuesday night and met some friends who invited over for a movie. Then they invited him to their SS class before church. I am truly thankful for these young peeps. He did need to make some friends there.

I think I lost one of those pounds I gained.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Oh I am glad to hear DS is finding a group of young people. That will be a prayer answered!

Why is this filming happening??? I am so sorry DH has to make that trip AGAIN.
However DH and I will be there this weekend as DBIL & DSIL are going to an out of town wedding and we're not yet sure we want DMIL to be alone for much time.

YAY on the last pound, Carolyn!

"catpassion"
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #214

Sometimes when you have cataracts, a film will form on the back of the lens. One eye at a time!!! When I have mine done I will go to Cavanaugh in KCity. Is that a relative Cindy??

How is DMIL doing?? Is she better mentally???
Old 03-21-2014, 11:39 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Biff is his usual self, home from vet today, Suki didn't growl at him untilthis evening. I was happy she was out from under the bed and interested n her db!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #216

Hi gals,

Glad Biff is back to normal. I'm sure they will be bonding soon!!

Dh and I had breakfast out. Then a WM run for him to carry the 38 pound litter box of Fresh Step. It breaks down to two 19 pound packages and is soooo much cheaper than buying them separately.

Might go see The Muppet Movie with Scarlet. We will see.

I have a week to lose another pound.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DMIL seems mostly better in her good old home.
She has moments where she has to check 3 or 4 times if she needs another coat, or a 3rd handbag ( ) but mostly seems more lucid.
She is sure enjoying our visit and so am I. I always feel like I'm on vacation at her house. Even though it also feels like it is 5 miles from the sun no matter how chilly outside.

DD is here with baby Maddox (almost 6 months) and they will spend the night tonight. He is a beaming ray of sun, that one - nearly never stops smiling.

OH CAROLYN!! We talked about how very sensitive my DGD appeared to be. They FINALLY started adding solid foods and that is a brand spanking new baby. I was so worried because she seemed to dislike any noise or touch that was not her mother's or father's, but they came over yesterday before we left and she sat in my lap and was playing really hard with one of our baby toys, but every so often kept looking up to see who had her (me) and them BEAMING a gorgeous smile.
I think she was starving!
So much fun...

Had gravy on my eggs this morning... and some hash browns...
I had trouble sleeping last night (hot hot hot) and started listening to a couple of Jimmy Moore's podcasts hoping to fall asleep. I happened to listen to a couple of scientists or doctors or whatever talking about how it might be ok to add some carbs back in sometime... I might pay later, but I didn't go completely nuts.
Oh, I wish I had some nuts. HA HA!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #218

Hi,

So happy that your dgd is enjoying her solid food and her grandma. Have fun with Maddox. Smiling babies are the best. Picture???

Judy, do you have a Chillow?? I need a new one as last year's got funky smelling. My friend loves hers.

Popcorn for lunch at the movies with Scarlet. I called at home and her mom answered. I couldn't understand her and she doesn't know any English. So I took the phone to Gary and she understood his Spanish. he went to the Berlitz school for 3 days years back.

Oh. Poor KSU. We will go to early church tomorrow so we can catch the KU game and WSU game. Anyone watching?? Illinois is in the mix, right??
Old 03-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #219
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Judy - I understand about living close to the sun - it's where my mom lives too!

Carolyn - I want to see The Muppet Movie too!

Debbie - Yay for Biff!
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do not have a chillow - I've been wanting to know how you like it.
I'll put it on my list!

We have a wedding here August 23 - we'll have to get a hotel because it will be too hot at DMIL's...

Good for Biff!

to all!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
T'was a good day. Got lots of book-work done.
We went out for Mexican dinner last night. I had a toastada & salad, along with a few tortilla chips. This morning, had a down-swing on the scale, probably because of sleeping in, but happy it wasn't up from the salt. Wt. down 2.5 lbs of the 3.5 lbs. (from the ibuprofen).

Tomorrow our son & grand-kiddo's are coming over after church for the afternoon. Apparently they've been banned from the house DIL must be having a 'ladies luncheon' or something.

That's great Judy, how your dgs let you hold him now!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #222

I remember visiting my in laws farm, and nearly passing out because of the heat!!! I totally understand that.

Chillows are great. It is important to read the instructions carefully. Lol

Great that your weight is down, Debby!! Have fun with the kids!!

The Muppet movie was very cute!!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Rooting for our last KS team in the tournament (Shockers). 4 minutes left! DD left about 2pm to head back to KC. My voice is still squeaky and hoarse...at least throat doesnt feel like razor blades like it has the last few days! Biff is great....acts like nothing ever happened...sweet and walking around just fine. Such a nice relief!! Sent photos to my SIL to show her and I think that helped her to be relieved too

So happy your MIL is doing better, Judy. Maybe she was getting confused/upset due to SIL change of routine in getting ready for her trip? Familiarity is helping, it seems. Aww...I want a dgd or dgs!! My dd that is married says "not yet...".

Carolyn - I know what you mean by those big heavy purchases...they stay in the car til my dh can get them out!

Good job on your weight Carolyn and Debby! I am thinking shakes for breakfast this coming week.

Last edited by Fit2010; 03-23-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #224
Princess Proofreader

hi!

Carolyn - I liked The Muppet Movie too!

Debbie - I still don't have anyone married - and my oldest is 30!

Debby - glad they can 'hide' at your house!

Judy - I used to turn down the thermostat at my IL's house! Or open a window!
What is a chillow?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #225
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Hey gang!
I need a chillow but really like my perfect sleeper pillow.

I have also had the pleasure of meeting Carolyn, great visit we had.

Spent the night with Bobby and Ava Friday night, fun, came home very tired, they stay very busy!

Will be leaving Tuesday for oldest DDs house in NE to visit, back home Friday night.

Thanks for Shake recipes Carolyn, sent them on to my DDs.

Hoping for rain this week, we seriously need it.

Later gals
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Hi MaryKay - So I am not alone?! My KC dd will be 27 next month! Other dd will be 30 in Sept...that is crazy to me! I can so remember being their ages!!

Last edited by Fit2010; 03-23-2014 at 09:13 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #227

Hi gals!!

Have fun in Nebraska. Are you driving through Wichita to get there??? We do need another meetup sometime, Buffy.

Glad you liked the Muppet Movie, MK. Will Kermit ever marry Miss Piggy???

No grandkids in our family tree yet.

A Chillow is a pillow thing that you fill with water and put it in your pillowcase on top of or underneath your pillow to keep your pillow cool at night. It helps keep your body from overheating while sleeping. They are available at Walmart or Walgreens.

Off to the shower. Check in later.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi friends,

Home again home again...
Workity work!

Brat pug is glad to be home. Everywhere she looks there is a baby stealing her thunder!

We went to the outlet malls on the west side of OKC and got DGS his next outfit for his 6-month pictures. I am sure in a few years he'll not be pleased with the way we dress him (doesn't that happen a lot?) but he's going to be super cute at 6 months!
And hey, if Ralph Lauren needs a baby model, I think DGS may fill that ticket!
I picked out a darling outfit for DGD there, too. Her mother will like it, I'm pretty sure!

Thanks for the shopping directions for the chillow. I think that would help IMMENSELY.
Staying at a hotel when we visit DMIL would be convenient for us comfort-wise, but might defeat the purpose of our visit. The last painter at their circa 1910 house painted the windows closed so we couldn't even do that. Maybe it would be worth it to have someone just fix THAT.

Debby was it fun hosting the outcasts? I have been outcast before, but there were usually some kind of wonderful leftovers I could return to.

MK I finally remembered the thermostat for the upstairs bedrooms (and all the bedrooms are upstairs) is unwisely housed in the very chilly dining room downstairs.
So when I turned the thermostat to 68 it was still pumping heat. I finally remembered I needed to turn it down to like 58 for it to stop heating the hot hot upstairs. Yesterday when we were leaving I saw the lights on in the dining room and DMIL had turned that thermostat to 80! But I bet she slept well last night.

Buffy have a great trip!

Debbie let us know how/which shakes you like, please.

Sandy I hope you are having fun with your delightful dad.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #229
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Hi MaryKay - So I am not alone?! My KC dd will be 27 next month! Other dd will be 30 in Sept...that is crazy to me! I can so remember being their ages!!
I had 2 kids by 30 and another almost on the way. I think I spent 25-35 pregnant ~ so they're probably enjoying themselves more than I did!

Carolyn - thanks for the chillow info! I'm not quite there yet ~ I still put the heated mattress pad on!

Judy - 80!?! Wow! Yes, she was happy to see you leave! A little anyway!
And that's why we slept at the IL's even though it was hot ~ just to hang out with them.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 AM   #230

Hi ladies

Posh, I'm sure those outfits will be darling. I love baby clothes!!!

MK: that is true!! Those 20's and early 30's can be fun times, too. Hope all our kid less kids are having fun!!!

Glad you didn't melt away, Judy. The good thing at the farm was that there was no heat upstairs until lately!! So there was no Chillow needed. But then we would enter the Mohave desert coming down for breakfast.

Off to exercise. I haven't been in over a week.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #231

Made some easy chili from Carb Wars' Judy Barnes:

1 lb ground beef, cooked in saucepan until done
Add: 1 can of beef broth
1 can of diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
1 can of enchilada sauce (I got mild)
Chili powder to taste

Combine and cook for 30 minutes or so.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I saw that - I guess you liked it?
I've always liked enchilada sauce...
Old 03-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #233

Judy, it was quite good. I added another can of tomatoes and a bit more beef and used the Chili Con Carne spice from Penzeys. They have the best spices ever!!!

Off to exercise. Gotta get this extra weight off. It comes on so easily. So, trying to be really good. I think I will change my weigh-in day at Dr. Cobb's. I need another week!!!

Still chilly here.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now I wish I had that spice, Carolyn! LOL
And there was a Penzeys on the corner by my DMIL in Tucson...

Spent a great deal of time yesterday with my dear cousin. She has stage 4 lung cancer (environmentally caused, according to all the diagnoses - EFGR or something?) and has managed it well these last 3 years with a drug called Tarceva.

Unfortunately that drug does not work for all people forever, and she's got another cancer in her pelvic bone. Apparently when Tarceva quits or declines in effectiveness, the number one place for a new cancer is the pelvic bone.

My cousin (who lives in Florida but is visiting Tulsa just now) was talking to my mom. My mom offered to loan my cousin her Medical Team.

My SS is with my cousin right now as I work. I joined them yesterday at the Cancer Treatment Center and then for dinner.

Here is my question - sort of directed at Mary Kay, but I would sure appreciate any other ideas.

Because of the recent rounds of radiation my cousin (Lisa) received for the cancer in her pelvis, they went through her gut and her gut is inflamed.

When she got her first diagnosis of lung cancer, the nutritionist at MD Anderson told her she should not eat meat. She may eat eggs and she may eat fish. At that time I don't believe they restricted dairy.

But here's the problem now - because of the gut inflammation due to the radiation (it's getting better but may take a few months to really heal) she cannot eat dairy right now.
Having said that, they told her she could eat Greek yogurt (good source of protein).

I sat down with her and asked her what she's eating. She's 5'8" and weighs 148. My SS and I were quite amazed she weighs that much because she looks very very thin.
She's never had a weight problem.
She is down 5 pounds from last month, mostly skittish about what she eats because she still has bloody diarrhea, or at least blood if not diarrhea. It's the diarrhea that is clearing up.

For any of you who are still reading..... (sorry!!!)
I told her that regardless of her restrictions, she simply must eat more protein.
I told her how to calculate it and decided the bare minimum for her was 70g - and that was bare minimum.

She tried some Jay Robb whey protein isolate last night and apparently had no problem with it. I think the "no dairy" is for the diarrhea only. And whey is certainly dairy...

Lisa's daughter just started eating Paleo - a switch from vegetarian thank goodness, and Lisa is interested in how my SS and I and her daughter are eating.
But right now we must live within her restrictions until her gut heals.

Lisa's been accepted to a clinical trial of people with her kind of lung cancer where Tarceva is beginning to fail, so she'll have another medication given. Possible side effects are high blood sugar, pancreatitis...

So here is what she says she can eat right now:
potatoes
rice
pasta - she doesn't eat it
white bread - doesn't eat it
applesauce
Greek yogurt
bananas
apples without skin
smooth peanut butter
Jell-O
olive oil
fish
oatmeal - rarely eats
Stevia

no: pastries, desserts, artificial sweeteners (from MD Anderson who also recommended Agave nectar was just fine! ), no berries, grapes

SS and my mom and I ate a pizza last night with the fat head crust (1-1/2 cups cheese, melted, mixed with a little cream cheese, 3/4 cup almond flour & 1 egg). Lisa ate a baked potato, some apple sauce and maybe cheated with a little bit of butter on her potato.

I asked Lisa if she might try some hormone-free, nothing-added chicken after her gut healed and she said she would.

Any ideas what my cousin can eat? I worry if she doesn't do the whey powder she'll not have the strength to continue treatments... I realize this is out of our normal realm, sorry.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #235
Princess Proofreader

I use a vegan protein powder called RAW and it's very good and comes in a variety of flavors. She could make great smoothies with the pb, almond milk or rice milk and the protein powder. Can she have bananas? Those are good in the smoothie or just with pb.

Why won't she eat the pasta and white bread?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #236
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Sometimes when you have cataracts, a film will form on the back of the lens. One eye at a time!!! When I have mine done I will go to Cavanaugh in KCity. Is that a relative Cindy??

How is DMIL doing?? Is she better mentally???
Nope, I don't have a "U" in my name.

Typical March here. Warm, cold, warm, snow, rain, cold.....it can't make up it's mind! Last fox hunt this Sat. Should be nice weather.

Pooter is well, very elderly but well. She will be 19 in June. Everything else is good. Gearing up for yard work but will wait till May to plant.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
I use a vegan protein powder called RAW and it's very good and comes in a variety of flavors. She could make great smoothies with the pb, almond milk or rice milk and the protein powder. Can she have bananas? Those are good in the smoothie or just with pb.

Why won't she eat the pasta and white bread?
Not much nutrition in the pasta & white bread.
Yes, she can have bananas and I think eats them every day.

Thanks MK - will look for that protein powder.
I recommended Jay Robb.
She likes the coconut milk, possibly made by Blue Diamond.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:27 AM   #238

Good morning

It is unfortunate that your cousin only can eat carby things, especially with her cancer. I do wonder if those carbs are making her inflammation worse??? Has she tried blending normal food? Or even eating baby food?? Hopefully, the Cancer center can help her.

I changed my weigh-in appt to two weeks from now. The weight is dropping slowly. I might be down to 144 by our weigh-in, April 1!!!

Where is our warm weather??? I hope Buffy is staying warm in Nebraska.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am thinking like you're thinking - make things soft like baby food.

Even after my mother's huge gut operation, she was able to eat soft meats within a month after the operation. He didn't want her eating vegetables that were not soft. He was OK with ground meats. Maybe my cousin will be, too.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #240
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Not much nutrition in the pasta & white bread.
Yes, she can have bananas and I think eats them every day.

Thanks MK - will look for that protein powder.
I recommended Jay Robb.
She likes the coconut milk, possibly made by Blue Diamond.
So Delicious has coconut milk too - also ice cream if she needs a treat!

No, not much nutrition in the white stuff, but if she'd eat a pb sandwich, or pb and bananas, root veggies (cooked really well), chicken noodle soup,....

Carolyn - glad the weight is falling off!!

Cindy - I'm so tired of winter/spring!