Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I made this new recipe last night and it was delicious so I thought I'd share. It's from low carb diner blog so some of you might have already seen it. I used leftover taco meat adding some leftover pico de gallo and some salsa for the tomatoes in the meat and didn't use the green pepper. The topping I used as written and it really was yummy.

Mexican Cornbread...Sans Corn, of course
Mexican Cornbread was a staple in my mom's kitchen. It was one of my sister's favorites. Similar to a tamale pie, but not pasty. The cornbread was fluffy on top. Wow. So is this. I can't believe I never tried this as a low carb casserole. I've missed so much!

This recipe does not have several of the things my mom's version has. No creamed corn. Not necessary. No salsa, but diced tomatoes instead to keep it a little drier. No packaged taco seasoning filled with MSG. No cornbread mix either. It does have spiced ground beef, tomatoes and pepper, and cheese! Any recipe with cheese is a winner in my book.

The "cornbread" is a cheesy quickbread made with coarsely ground almond meal and golden flax. It works!!! I was inspired by my cheese bread topped chili in a jar from the February newsletter. This recipe is a little different, and oh so delicious.

Mexican Cornbread sans Corn...and Carbs

Base:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp minced dried onions
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp coconut oil
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

Cornbread topping:
1/2 cup coarsely ground almond meal
1/2 cup golden flax meal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 tbsp olive oil

Brown ground beef, breaking it into small crumbles. Drain fat and place in a medium bowl. Stir in chili powder, cumin, onions, garlic salt and garlic powder. Drain the liquid from the canned tomatoes and stir them into the beef. Place the beef into an 8 inch square baking dish.

Slice the bell pepper into bite sized chunks. Saute in coconut oil 5-7 minutes until soft. Layer the peppers over the beef in the dish. Top with 1/2 cup cheese.

To prepare the bread, combine almond meal, flax meal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, cheese and olive oil. Stir until no large lumps remain. Spread the batter over the meat and topping in the casserole dish. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula or large spoon until it covers the meat completely and touches the sides. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden and the center is set. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

537 calories 4 g net carbs 33 g fat 43 g protein

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Yum Sandy...that DOES sound tasty! Is it really 537 calories per serving? Yikes! On MWL that could be an entire day's worth of protein calories! I need to spend time next week (Spring Break!!!!! ) figuring out how I'm going to adjust to get on a weight loss regime again.

I got my EFGT book in the mail yesterday. Ordered it from Amazon for about $1.99 + $3.99 I think for S&H. Copyright is from 1999. That is what you are all using? It is kind of scarey thinking of eating FAT.

Carolyn, I would love to make an appt with Dr Cobb again. My weightloss listed below is from the time I saw her in the clinic here. I keep it posted to remind MYSELF that I lost and can again!! She is such an encourager. It might just be worth a several hour drive to stop over to see her again. She is in your town?

I had asked my PCP about garcinia cambogia and he didn't really know anything about it but didn't have a problem with me trying it. I'm glad to hear Dr Cobb doesn't disapprove. I haven't bought it yet. Plan to get it at Whole F.

Judy - It is concerning to me that a doc would STOP your MIL of her antibiotics for UTI rather than just treat the yeast (which is so common a side effect of taking antibiotics). But, you still gotta kill the UTI! I always recommend folks eat yogurt when they are on antibiotics to help avoid yeast (what happens is the antibiotics are killing the body's GOOD bacteria also so the body's bit of yeast has an opportunity to grow unchecked. UTI can very easily cause sepsis in older folks. They just don't have the ability and health to fight infections as easily. Sometimes the first signal is a behavior change. If she wears pads for slight incontinence that puts her at risk (or depends!). And if she is diabetic all the more risk as her blood sugar could be higher due to fighting an infection and it just makes her urine in her bladder a sweeter environment for bacteria. They can even develop organ damage as a result.
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

It is so beautiful today!! I work with my students in the afternoon/evening on Tues and Wed so I am at home with the screen door between by two kitties and my outdoor deck birds. I LOVE Spring!! Drove around yesterday late afternoon after work with the windows down!!

Doc's office called me yesterday and said the blood tests show I have iron deficiency anemia. Had a hyst over 25 years ago so that is not the source of lower hemoglobin. Have to see GI doc again for consult. It will all work out. Guess my Mom had to have Iron infusions and B12 infusions IV in her 70's. Genetics....fun, fun.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Yes her DH waited on her and now her 5 kids wait on her. She's the oldest of 3 girls and they cater to her.

I think anyone of us who's had a UTI usually knows the yeast infection follows. Eating yogurt never worked for me, however I haven't had a UTI in forever (thank goodness!). I was just glad when monistat was eventually sold over-the-counter.

I can't understand why the doc told her to stop the antibiotics except my SIL intimated the diagnosis for UTI was wrong (and she DOES wear Depends now) and the diagnosis should have been for yeast. Doesn't make sense, and I kind of don't want to push SIL too hard as she's leaving and that's all she's thinking about.

We'll certainly have to checked head to toe when we get back to OKC.

SIL gave me the rest of the anbiotics they were told to stop for treating the UTI. Any value in finishing them? Or I thought you need the complete dose? I'm sure it's been more than a week since she stopped taking them.

Friend Sandy you are cooking good things!! That sounds completely awesome. I would save up my protein for that fantastic dinner and I know I'll try it when I get home.

There is a Trader Joe's here - what should I get?

DMIL and I will take a nice walk this morning then Trader Joe's is right across the street from where we walk.
For some reason there's good seafood here, too.

Carolyn I think any little kids who have you with them are lucky little kids!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #155

Judy, I'm not much help on what to get at Trader Joe's. I buy more wine there than anything, lol. But it's sure fun to look at everything there.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I mostly looked!
But I did get some vanilla beans and some ghee and some heavy cream.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #157
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

Yes, we're going to get hit again.
72 today and 27 tomorrow with 1-3" of snow!
I'm ready for Summer.

Judy - Just enjoy your MIL!! My mom used to start packing everything and telling people she was moving. She'd pack the hangers in the trashcan . . . .

Sandy - sweet babies are the reason we don't kill our teenagers!
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #158

You've got that right, MK. I hope that nasty storm misses you. You've had enough!!

Judy, good scores!!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #159

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals

Sorry about your weather, MKay.

We had 4 little boys and 2 babies. So cute!! When we told them to pick up the toys, they just stared at us. Lobloll

Yes, Dr. Cobb is in my town. She works 3 days one week and 2 days the following week. She would love to see you!! And I would, too!!!

Oh, Sandy, that recipe looks great!!!

I need more vodka for my vanilla beans!!!
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Hi!

Yes, we're going to get hit again.
72 today and 27 tomorrow with 1-3" of snow!
I'm ready for Summer.

Judy - Just enjoy your MIL!! My mom used to start packing everything and telling people she was moving. She'd pack the hangers in the trashcan . . . .
Oh... my dear friend's mother is in a very fine rest home. She's ALWAYS packing! And her mother before her packed and packed. She is packing and her DH (who is departed) is going to come soon to pick her up from the lake. When we visit her, we are evidently visiting her at the lake. Which is fine with us. I can think of worse places to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
You've got that right, MK. I hope that nasty storm misses you. You've had enough!!

Judy, good scores!!
And I agree - sorry you're getting more snow, MK.
And OH GOOD I'm glad you agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi gals

Sorry about your weather, MKay.

We had 4 little boys and 2 babies. So cute!! When we told them to pick up the toys, they just stared at us. Lobloll

Yes, Dr. Cobb is in my town. She works 3 days one week and 2 days the following week. She would love to see you!! And I would, too!!!

Oh, Sandy, that recipe looks great!!!

I need more vodka for my vanilla beans!!!
I need more vodka too!
Oh... wait... you mean for your vanilla beans.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
I'm lost... what do you need vodka for vanilla beans for???
I was happy to purchase some sugar-free vanilla syrup today. Put some in my greek yogurt Probably has some bad stuff in it...
Went to the dentist again today. Happy the freezing is thawing now!
Does sugar predispose you to UIT's? I'm thinking that's why my DD gets them... my DGD12 gets them too, but the Dr says she needs to drink more water. I don't get them. Judy maybe you don't get them anymore because of the low-carb diet?
Hope you have a great visit Judy!
Hugs to y'all!

DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn - Are you going to be in town the 20th in the AM? Cuz....I have an appt with Dr Cobb! Perhaps we could get together for a safe lunch option! I then have to drive back here for an eye appt at 2:30. Got all kinds of things I'm tring to do with my few days off!!

All of a sudden this got serious. When we're talking $$ for appts that means I gotta get serious!!

Last edited by Fit2010; 03-12-2014 at 12:22 AM..
Old 03-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #163

Yes I will be in town that day!!! What time is your appointment?? She takes forever sometimes. You can call me when you get out and it takes me about 10 minutes to get to her office then you can follow me to a safe place!!! Lol. I'll pm you my phone number.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Appt is 9am....I know she and I will have alot of catching up to do, and I need the appt to get back into the right mindset for "I can DO this again!" My biggest problem is breakfast. I have to be quick; and I do not like eggs to eat them more than once a week or so. First time I worked with her I did protein breakfast bars or Carbmaster's yogurt or a shake for breakfast. Now I'm not so interested in all those "franken foods!" Though they are convenient, I am now repulsed by soy protein...and it is in SO many foods!

What does Dr Cobb think of EFGT for weight loss? I am thinking of starting Sunday or Monday so that way I am in ketosis by the time I see her Thursday!

I am so excited to meet you, Carolyn! I am also so ready to be feeling more positive about my body and my health. The smiling "me" on the right avatar is after I'd done my second 5K in 2010....I felt amazing and was at goal. The left avatar is before I started the program, 53 lbs heavier. Unfortunately, that is where I am again. Joints ache, etc. Yuck!! I look forward to having an "in the flesh" accountability partner!

Last edited by Fit2010; 03-12-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #165

You can do it!!! Honestly, she doesn't push fat or being in ketosis. She doesn't even mention that. She will probably give you a calorie amount like she did me and that keeps us on the straight and narrow. She does love shakes and has lots of recipes for them.
Looking forward to next week. My dh thinks it would take an hour and 45 minutes. Use your GPS!

I make my own vanilla with the beans and vodka. Honestly, it is so much better than the store vanilla.

Off to type!! Had a haircut and a chiro appt. whoopee!!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #166
Princess Proofreader

Another meeting!! How cool!!

Don't forget to take pictures, ladies!!

And it rained, thundered, snowed, sleeted, snowed more.
Tomorrow it should melt!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Sad news for me, Carolyn. Frank called me and said that the receptionist misunderstood his message....I will need to have my first time appt there in May because the day and time I was scheduled Dr C. has an event she needs to be at. Phooey! What is your schedule? Would you be willing to meet at 0900 and help get me started in the LC mindset? I could then go to my first official meeting with several weeks of determined LC weightloss under my "belt!" I don't want to put any pressure on you. If this doesn't work out for you I completely understand! I could bring all my "stuff" from my previous lessons.

Would love to have a copy of some of those protein shakes recipes you mentioned!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #168

Sounds great to me. We could do breakfast somewhere or meet for coffee at our local barista place or you could come to my house. You pick. I can make copies of the stuff she gave me. I'll be happy to help...
Old 03-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! You are AMAZING!! Thank you, Carolyn. This little morning adventure will be my BIG excursion for Spring break! I need a getaway....even if just for a couple hours!! So, I could plan for meeting you at 9am if that is okay? I will give you a call as I get close for directions...or you could PM me!

I would be happy to pay you for copies!! And/or breakfast MY treat!

Last edited by Fit2010; 03-13-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #170

That is fine. We can meet at my local coffee shop first. Ane Maes is the name on the west side of Penn Ave, the first block south of Arby's.. Anyone else want to come??? You can get bacon and eggs there. Thursday, right??

Back on track. I had a Quest Bar for breakfast.

What's going on with everyone?? Alex is starting his new insulin Monday. It is Levemir and better for cats and can put them into remission easier than NPH. He was in remission with NPH in May, but this time it is only regulating him. My advisor said he might have become resistant to it. So we will try this.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone,

I've been reading and following along.

We think we'll be able to pack up DMIL this morning and start our two long days' journey.
She is confused as to why she's being taken back home about a month early. I finally just said "your kids thought it best." She rolls her eyes.

She does not remember she's been asked to NOT walk to the Walgreen's at the corner (3 or 4 blocks) because she fell th last time.

Don't know why my DSIL has asked her mother to stop using some of the glaucoma drops discontinued a year ago, rather than removing the drops. I removed the drops. She has a couple of newer drops she should be using, but that is a chore asking whether she's taken them or will take them... you all are all probably aware.

She's a happy person and does not stay at all stuck in any disappointments, so she'll probably enjoy our trip and the scenery.

Hugs to all!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Oh my, sounds challenging. I hope you have lots of laughs & fun as you drive home.
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #173

Yes, Judy..It is good that she realizes that she should have another month there..and that she rolls her eyes..Love it! Well, our weather is getting better for her. My mom couldn't remember if she took her pills..So, I would call her every day to remind her and she would do it right then. She will love looking at the scenery and prayerfully it will be a fun trip..(albeit long).
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #174
Princess Proofreader

Judy - I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip! It will be just what she needs!

Carolyn - share the shake recipes with the class please!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #175

Yes I will hunt up the recipes tomorrow. .

Thinking of Judy and her dh and her min law on the road.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #176

Hi everyone..

Great day! Going to see Mr. Peabody today with Scarlet..We are seeing it 3D as she
has never seen a movie that way..LOL.

Dying my hair..Dh and I went out for breakfast. Hopefully, there won't be much lunch
for me..
Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #177

Well, we came home for the b-day party but it was canceled as the b-day boy got a tummy bug. So we went to see him and gave him his gifts and had a great time with him. He was feeling great at that point but it hit him again in the middle of the night. I sure hope we don't get it. I assured DH that I never once caught anything from our kids or grandkids. I sure hope that applies to great-grandkids as well. Hopefully my parent mojo is still in tact, lol. They rescheduled the party for next Sat. but I think we're going to skip it. It's at a pizza place with a bunch of kids and I'm sure we won't be missed. And my dad is coming back out with us for a couple of weeks anyway and we hate to mess up his trip. He's hoping to be able to go fishing while he's there. Then we'll go back home for my b-day the following weekend and take him home. Busy, busy, busy!

Have a safe and hopefully fun trip back to OK with your MIL. It'll be interesting to see what her regular doc says when you take her in.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #178

Oh, Sandy. I hope you don't get that darned bug. It will be nice to have your dad with you for a couple of weeks. Safe travels.

Mr Peabody was cute!!! We shared a popcorn.

Well we are rooting for Iowa State tonight. We used to live there and know a lot of peeps who went there. Anyone???
Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #179

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! Better find something green quick!!

I wonder how Judy's trip went?? We are thinking of you!!!

Akkk I have to get these 2 pounds off. They are very stubborn for sure.

Alex started his Levemir this am. Lots of testing for a few days to get him to the right level.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #180
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10

Last Saturday fox hunting. It should be called coyote chasing really which is fine with me!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote