Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jacki
Stats: 227/197/127
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2013
Hi everyone! I'm late to this post- but what I've been reading is SO encouraging. Is there a book for this WOE?
Jacki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #122
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Trains!!! Poor kid. Good thing he is young and resilient. I forget. Is he a Jr..?.
Yes, a junior!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
Hi everyone! I'm late to this post- but what I've been reading is SO encouraging. Is there a book for this WOE?
There is - but I think it's out of print . . . anyone?

Check out the stickies - they have lots of info.
And
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Right..It was mostly from The Bible and then added more scenes, too, is what I heard.
I found the Bible is on History channel right now. Same man playing Jesus. Thanks for the heads up in the theatre.
Shalbrihil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #124
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
And a jumbo margarita and Mexican food did not help my situation!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #125
Princess Proofreader

Cindy - but it sounds so good!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Hi Jacki - There actually is a book by Barry Groves called Eat Fat Get Thin.
He really identified the thing that's now more popularly called Keto-adapted dieting.
It's a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. The fat is very satisfying and hunger-squashing.

That said, this group is accepting of whatever your eating plan happens to be - even if it's no plan!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
How do u all eat only 30g carbs TOTAL, even count ur lettuce leaves??
Even with high fat, 65-70%, i cant imagine not eating veggies.
The fat absolutely KILLS my hunger, esp the dairy fat--cream, but i do eat make myself eat protein and then i would like some flavor -- like veggies: celery, lettuce, radishes, onions, mushrms, spag, yellow & green summer squash, asparagus, even occasional 1/2c raspberries, 1/2 apple etc
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #128
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi Jacki. Barry Groves had an updated version of the original called Natural Health and Weight Loss.

Helene, we subtract the fiber from the carbs and that let's you have more veggies..

Poor KSU. They will be crying in the Big Apple and also in Lawrence but the Wichita peeps probably will be smiling all night.

Cindy: you shouldn't have even mentioned Mexican food. Lol

I guess it is time to put my snowmen away.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #129
Princess Proofreader

Carolyn - please put your snowmen away!!! They might be the reason Spring hasn't arrived!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #130

Hi everyone.

MK I was thinking about that!!! They will go in their little box this afternoon.

Did everyone get up in time???

Dh is teaching our SS class today. Hope it goes okay. He over prepares. Really.

Need to get back on track. Gained a few pounds this week. Someone made monkey bread for our meeting on Thursday and I had 2 pieces !!! Back to basics!!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

here is a monkey bread recipe for u -- from Maria's Way site

highfat with the cream cheese, but very lowcarb with almond flour and psyllium husk powder (I would use ground flaxseed but she think flax is bad).
I made some high fat almond flour and ground flax blueberries muffins last nite-->OMG good. and FILLING as im not used to eating grain anymore and they're very grain-y, not like most alternative baked goods that are just gritty and not right lol
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #132
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Hi everyone.

MK I was thinking about that!!! They will go in their little box this afternoon.

Did everyone get up in time???

Dh is teaching our SS class today. Hope it goes okay. He over prepares. Really.

Need to get back on track. Gained a few pounds this week. Someone made monkey bread for our meeting on Thursday and I had 2 pieces !!! Back to basics!!!!
I love my clock as it updates time automatically. And yes, it said 9:00 when I got up this morning! Our weather has greatly improved this week and looks mildly spring-y next week. Fox hunting ends at the end of the month so I am trying to go Wed and Sat until the 29th.

I am trying to eradicate sugar from my diet. Not all of it, mind you, and margaritas are exempt. But they are so caloric that I drink one every couple of months unless it is the sugar free mix I have at home, then, in the summer, it could be more often! And trying to eat more whole foods. I have limited my bread to 2 slices in the morning (I found a wonderful seedy-y whole grain bread at Whole Paycheck).

I am going to try roasting cauliflower. I have never tried that but I love roasted Brussels and butternut squash so I bet it will be good.

Now that the weather is warming, Costco has a greens mix that may make a good addition to protein shakes. I can't do my frozen shakes in the winter unless I am sitting in a hot tub of water.....and I have done that!

Welcome Newbies! I don't follow EFGT so don't listen to me talking about food. I just love all of the people here and call this home!

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

so the link didnt go thru for the recipe to the monkey bread. heres the recipe itself but google Maria Emmerich and check out her website...fascinating!
NOTE: SOME psyllium powder will turn your baked good a “rye bread” color. She has found that Jay Robb psyllium husks (ground into a powder) doesn’t cause this to happen. You can see the difference in the photos. If you are having an issue with a gummy wet texture, try weighing your ingredients as listed below.
DOUGH:
3 cup blanched almond flour (10 oz) (or 1 cup/5oz coconut flour)
10 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes) (90 grams)
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 cup Swerve (or erythritol and 1 tsp stevia glycerite)
8 egg whites (16 whites if using coconut flour) (make ice cream w/the yolks!)
5 TBS apple cider vinegar (2 oz)
2 cup BOILING water (14 oz)
FILLING:
8 oz cream cheese
TOPPING:
8 TBS butter (or coconut oil)
1 TBS cinnamon
1/2 cup Swerve (or erythritol)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won’t work), baking powder, salt and sweetener. Mix until combined (she uses a handmixer). Add in the eggs and vinegar and combine until a thick dough. Add boiling water into the bowl. Mix until well combined. When you add the water the dough will be very sticky but after mixing for a couple minutes it will firm up.
Separate dough into 20 equal sized disks. You can spray some more spray on top of the dough to help keep it from sticking to your fingers. Cut cream cheese into 20 squares. Place on square on top of each dough disk and form the disk around the sides of the cream cheese.
Place 10 of the squares in the bottom of a greased bundt pan with the cream cheese facing up. Sprinkle cinnamon and Swerve on top. Then put the remaining 10 squares inverted on top of the first 10 (making the cream cheese touch). Bake for 55 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the topping. Place all ingredients into a medium sized bowl and combine until smooth. After it has baked for 55 minutes, remove and quickly spread topping over the monkey bread. Return to oven and bake for 15 minute. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before turning over and removing from bundt pan. Makes 14 servings.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Recipe = 308 calories, 21.1g fat, 2.9g protein, 28.9 carbs, trace fiber (28.9g effective carbs)
“Healthified” Almond Flour Monkey Bread = 261 calories, 21.8g fat, 7.6g protein, 9.8g carbs, 6.5g fiber (3.3g effective carbs)
“Healthified” Coconut Flour Monkey Bread = 196 calories, 13.4g fat, 7.1g protein, 10.2g carbs, 7.2g fiber (3g effective carbs)
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #134

Hi gals,

Let me know how you like your roasted cauliflower..It was supposed to take the place of popcorn..I do love roasted veggies, but sometimes they can be too roasted..I have to watch them carefully.

We all our food vices, Cindy..My LC doctor "gets" that but says to me get back and do a protein shake/bar day to get it off..

Thanks for that recipe, Helene..Looks great!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #135
Princess Proofreader

Looking forward to Spring here too! fingers crossed!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi friends!
Now that my mothe is well, DH's mother, who winters in Tucson, has had a radical slip into dementia. His sister lives in Tucson full time and she leaving for India Wednesday and feels their DM cannot be left alone.

DH started driving yesterday with brat pug and I hopped a plane today and am now with my DMIL. I can see what they're talking about - just fairly confused.
I have little power with this group but must ask whether they've checked for UTI. So far the answer is "I don't know," Anyhoozle, we'll take her back to her "real" home in OKC after we visit here a few days. She's perfectly happy, just can't remember from one minute to the next. ALL of a sudden.

Cindy you are lovable even though quite thin and a carb eater.
Hmmm... MK fits that description, too... maybe I need to eat carbs!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Quote:
Hi guys..

Debbie: My LC doctor (Dr. Cobb) used to work at MediLoss..LOL..Then she went to Duke
and got educated on LC and has been doing this ever since.
Carolyn!!!!! Dr Cobb was MY MediWeightLoss doc!!! She helped me SO very much! I just love her and I miss her alot! I learned alot from her and I was under so much stress at the time with 2 jobs (working about 48 hours a week) and in grad school full-time online at the time. Then got sick with sinus infections over and over as I got close to reaching goal, that persisted for the next 2 years. She will remember me. She and I have a history! But, to go back to the clinic now I'd have to pay all over again and I keep thinking I can do it on my own with my LCF accountability. Ask her what she thinks about Garcinia Cambogia (I think that is what it is called....it was on Dr Oz).
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Hi friends!
Now that my mothe is well, DH's mother, who winters in Tucson.....

DH started driving yesterday with brat pug and I hopped a plane today and am now with my DMIL. I can see what they're talking about - just fairly confused.
I have little power with this group but must ask whether they've checked for UTI. So far the answer is "I don't know,"
Hi Judy, You have a VERY good point about asking regarding UTI. Are you going to have her checked? Sooner rather than later? Especially since this was such a rapid change. Has she had that issue in the past? Will be praying for you and your DH at this time...
Old 03-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi ladies,

Metformin has helped me immensely to lose weight. My LC doctor gives it to all women over 50 because she believes that our bodies need help. You can certainly give it a whirl, Sandy.
Walmart has very cheap Met ER.
Dr Cobb started me on Metformin about 4 1/2 - 5 years ago after I first started seeing her....she did blood testing of glucose, liver function, measured my waist, and diagnosed me with insulin resistance. You have to have a prescription to get Metformin, it is not OTC. Insulin resistance makes it so much harder to lose weight.

So, my doc checked my Free T4, and TSH and says I am not hypothyroid. But that I have some anemia going on. Not too bad but checking B12 and other things. Interesting that MWL has you take B12 sublingual and I still tend to take some at least once a week even when I am not low carbing. All those B's are good for you.

Last edited by Fit2010; 03-09-2014 at 11:33 PM..
Old 03-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #140

Hi!,

How great that Dr. Cobb was your dr. We all love her down here. She spends an hour with each patient every time! I will ask her about you. I have mentioned the garcinia and she thinks it is fine to use. No great miracles but feels that it might help some!!!

Oh Judy. Definitely the UTI checkup. It is so common and so sudden in older peeps. One older gal was put in the hospital to monitor her. Keep us posted on your nursing skills!!
Praying for an accurate diagnosis, too.

Nice day today. . Off to Bible Study. Two do our gals have that terrible bronchitis that lasts for weeks. Not good.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #141

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Wow, I never would've thought that a UTI could bring on dementia symptoms? Amazing what you learn here! And that is so cool that you guys know the same Dr! Cindy and I go to the same Dr but we live in the same area, so that's not so amazing, since he's a very popular doc around here. He started offering Medi Weight Loss a few years ago too, but I've never done it. A friend of mine did and lost a ton of weight!! Then she moved and I have no idea if she kept it off or not.

It was a beautiful day here yesterday and is supposed to be even better today. And nice all week! I'll take it!!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi there,

Hoping to get my SIL alone to see if they've checked for UTI. DH will arrive in a little bit.
Tucson does not "do" daylight saving time. I am jealous.

MK, please avert your eyes.

(*whisper* high 70s all week long here)

Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #143

Yes in older peeps for some strange reason that is always the first thing they should check for. I hope it is a simple fix. It might get to the 60's today.

Making chicken paprika tonight. Gotta find a good LC recipe.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

My recipe is low carb if u eat it over shredded sautéed or raw cabbage instead of noodles. Its just the chicken, fibrous veggies and spices in tomatoes with cream i think.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #145
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Hi friends!
Now that my mothe is well, DH's mother, who winters in Tucson, has had a radical slip into dementia. His sister lives in Tucson full time and she leaving for India Wednesday and feels their DM cannot be left alone.

I have little power with this group but must ask whether they've checked for UTI. So far the answer is "I don't know," Anyhoozle, we'll take her back to her "real" home in OKC after we visit here a few days. She's perfectly happy, just can't remember from one minute to the next. ALL of a sudden.

Cindy you are lovable even though quite thin and a carb eater.
Hmmm... MK fits that description, too... maybe I need to eat carbs!
I agree with a UTI. Very common in this age group.

To me, and there certainly are exceptions here, people who do the best on LC are the insulin resistant folks. But we have a lot (Sugar Free Shelia comes to mind) who do great on LC and are not insulin resistant.

Quote:
Hi there,

Hoping to get my SIL alone to see if they've checked for UTI. DH will arrive in a little bit.

Imploring the sticking-out-of-the-tongue emoticon!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #146
Princess Proofreader

Quote:

I saw that!!!
And it was 63 here today and gorgeous - so you're forgiven!

And yes, that happened to my mom a couple of times and it was a UTI! I'm surprised the doc hasn't mentioned it! Very common in older women!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I agree with a UTI. Very common in this age group.

To me, and there certainly are exceptions here, people who do the best on LC are the insulin resistant folks. But we have a lot (Sugar Free Shelia comes to mind) who do great on LC and are not insulin resistant.

Imploring the sticking-out-of-the-tongue emoticon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
I saw that!!!
And it was 63 here today and gorgeous - so you're forgiven!
*WHEW* So glad!
80 tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
And yes, that happened to my mom a couple of times and it was a UTI! I'm surprised the doc hasn't mentioned it! Very common in older women!
She was checked for a UTI was WAS being treated for a UTI!!
Halfway through, a different doc told DSIL it was actually a yeast infection and to stop the antibiotics for the UTI!! WHAT??

She doesn't seem that wacky to me.
She has always been happily forgetful and lazy about any responsibility.
That sounds awful, but she's just glad to be waited-on. And has always been accommodated. If you think any bad thoughts about this description, just ascribe them to me. She's a happy soul.

HOWEVER her daughter came by with a home social worker type person and later DMIL reported "two ladies came by..." not knowing one of the ladies was her own daughter. That's a radical shift.

I don't know. We'll take her home and insist she have another test for a UTI along with any other assessment she'll have done at home.
In the meantime, we're having a lovely time and so is she. What more can I ask?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
That's so great Judy, that you two can help your mom's out when they're sick... you MIL sounds like a 'delightful lady'... Hope the new Dr can sort things out for her treatment. I think those things are tricky...
Our weather is warming up too... getting close to 50 ... snow melting, running down the roads...
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #149

Good morning.

Judy, it will be nice to have her checked out when you and your dh can find out the true story. Does she live by herself in OKC??? Glad she is happy. Did her dh wait on her??

Gosh, those poor people east of us are getting walloped by snow again.
Looks like you might miss this one, MK? Or not.

Babysitting with my favorite 2-3 year olds at the church for their Mom's meetup. But first I have got to go exercise. akkkk...

Chat with you later!! Honestly it was 70 yesterday!!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #150

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I think it was 78 here officially yesterday. And warm again today until the cold front makes it here this afternoon. But then supposed to warm back up and be nice for several days.
My oldest great-grandson turns 3 years old today! It just doesn't seem possible that 3 years have flown by so quickly. His party is Saturday and I'll be so happy to see the babies.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote