Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
Even now that Ive been eating fruit again this week, I dont need a ton. I am very happy with the portions, feel like im a king. I dont need a ton of steelcut oats either. But of course I eat both with cream YUM
my wgt loss is like a job to me, i work it allll day long. I exercise and i eat always thinking of it. and it frustrates the heck out of me to see nothing much change. SIGH
so sick of MY dimensions being that of an orange!
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
LOVE your picture! Thanks for sharing
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Hi! Back from AZ, had a wonderful visit with family.

Welcome newbies!

Got to go back and catch up ��
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hélène View Post
Even now that Ive been eating fruit again this week, I dont need a ton. I am very happy with the portions, feel like im a king. I dont need a ton of steelcut oats either. But of course I eat both with cream YUM
my wgt loss is like a job to me, i work it allll day long. I exercise and i eat always thinking of it. and it frustrates the heck out of me to see nothing much change. SIGH
so sick of MY dimensions being that of an orange!
I think that's what changed for me with this high fat, moderate protein way of eating - I stopped thinking about food all the darn time. That was very very new for me.

How much protein do you eat each day?
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

Welcome newbies!

Got to go back and catch up ��
Welcome back! Welcome back!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I love your picture, girls!! You both look great! Carolyn, you're wearing your hair shorter, aren't you? It looks so cute! And Judy, your lovely, long locks are beautiful. Now I'm really jealous that I couldn't be there too. And the conference sounds great too!

We missed the big storm here in the little apple. We got an inch at the most but it's bitter cold. My DD said they didn't get very much either but they got more sleet and ice than we did. I sure hope spring springs soon!

Welcome Newbies! We're always glad to have newcomers, no matter what your plan is. We're all very supportive of everybody. Even the ones who've fallen off the wagon for awhile, (insert guilty looking emoticon here). Lol.

Buffy, I hope your trip was wonderful! And Debby I hope Molly is much better. Did the dr say to limit her activity? When I had Bailey spayed the Dr said to let her do whatever she wanted. He said she would limit herself? I remember when I brought her home she went flying down the deck stairs and it scared me to death! But she was fine and bounced back very fast.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

im guessing about 3 or 4oz 3x a day but i eat 3pc cheese a day too and 1/2c beans, some nuts too
soooo i'd have to add that up lol
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

well i dont think about oh what am i gonna eat next or i wanna eat i wanna eat...its more like, damn it's 5 hrs again --> i gotta go get a carb dam...and eat it with some protein & fat. so i have to make sure i have things ready or easily cooked. or at least IN the house lol if im hungry i always go for fat---those fruit shakes someone talked about---omg like ICE CREAM with the splenda and stevia...so good and SATIATING
Generally tho, if i didnt have to feed my kids i wudnt eat very much at all besides my carb dams (15g every 5 hrs). they fill me quite well...now that im allowd to have them on the plan im on. i love high fat for killing my appetite....except on days it doesnt work lol---i have leptin/ghrelin imbalance also and some days i am ravenous for real food even, its just hormonal but nothing to do with my cycle. when i low carb like this, my cycles have no effect on me. completely kills any PMS issues, including needing chocolate, etc. awesome.

Last edited by Hélène; 03-02-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
im guessing about 3 or 4oz 3x a day but i eat 3pc cheese a day too and 1/2c beans, some nuts too
soooo i'd have to add that up lol
Well, I wonder how many calories you are eating, too?
I wish it didn't matter, but it matters.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
well i dont think about oh what am i gonna eat next or i wanna eat i wanna eat...its more like, damn it's 5 hrs again --> i gotta go get a carb dam...and eat it with some protein & fat. so i have to make sure i have things ready or easily cooked. or at least IN the house lol if im hungry i always go for fat---those fruit shakes someone talked about---omg like ICE CREAM with the splenda and stevia...so good and SATIATING
Generally tho, if i didnt have to feed my kids i wudnt eat very much at all besides my carb dams (15g every 5 hrs). they fill me quite well...now that im allowd to have them on the plan im on. i love high fat for killing my appetite....except on days it doesnt work lol---i have leptin/ghrelin imbalance also and some days i am ravenous for real food even, its just hormonal but nothing to do with my cycle. when i low carb like this, my cycles have no effect on me. completely kills any PMS issues, including needing chocolate, etc. awesome.
I'm ignorant - carb dams?

Debby, or Carolyn or Sandy or Cindy (LOL - anybody but me!!) will the adrenal insufficiency make it super hard to lose no matter how perfect we eat? Or can we lose even with adrenal insufficiency?

Can't remember if she is also hypothyroid?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
We're all very supportive of everybody. Even the ones who've fallen off the wagon for awhile, (insert guilty looking emoticon here). Lol.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

i am technically not hypothyroid. we tried T3 but it did nothing even making me warm (im very cold and temp is 96.5-97.7) i hate taking pharmas so i quit after a yr. my T3 was very low at one point so that's why the dr and I were trying it. i dont convert T4 to T3 i am sure. she doesnt rly know much about thyroids so its all my research and she listens to me (yes she rocks!) she was calling me subclinical hypothyroidism.
SOMEDAY wen i win the lottery i am going to do Wilson's Syndrome protocol. no insurance covers that tho i will be warm and HOT ~giggle~
the adrenals I am not diagnosed about, its my own guesses. i try to only exercise gently to not stress my system. i have tons of stress in my life---single, poor mom with no help yadayadayada its unavoidable. i have bad insomnia sometime, often for months at a time. at present not too bad. but used to have that morning fatigue and stay up all nite thing. i was pregnant once with insomnia...u wanna talk about hell---pregnant, dead-dog tired and cant SLEEP??? anywho thats me
Old 03-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL! I should have asked YOU!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

yep i am just full of info---and FAT also -- still.
tonite i am just disgusted with my oldness and fatness
2mrw i will be cheerful again
Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
welcome home Buffy! Missed you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
And Debby I hope Molly is much better. Did the dr say to limit her activity? When I had Bailey spayed the Dr said to let her do whatever she wanted. He said she would limit herself? I remember when I brought her home she went flying down the deck stairs and it scared me to death! But she was fine and bounced back very fast.
Thanks Sandy, Yep... Molly thinks she's recuperated already... we have been letting her do more than the vet says is ok... & she's fine... just not going to let her run with the van yet. Its amazing really, if it was a human... way longer!
Have to tell a story here.... We had another shrew in the house... been trying to catch him for 3 days... I told Molly "Its your job to get that shrew" & she has been doing her best to comply... Well, tonight we went to visit friends for a few hours & left her in the 'kitty-room' (AKA hot-tub room)... When we got back, there it was, on her bed - dead! Super-Molly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Debby, or Carolyn or Sandy or Cindy (LOL - anybody but me!!) will the adrenal insufficiency make it super hard to lose no matter how perfect we eat? Or can we lose even with adrenal insufficiency? Can't remember if she is also hypothyroid?
Can't do anything if you've got adrenal fatigue... wrecks havok with your body & emotions... I went to a naturopath, got tested & found the hormone that was insufficient for me...(cortisol). Got treatment & WOW! I'm a different person... The thyroid issue makes it hard to lose wt. they say you burn approximately 200 calories less a day than someone with no thyroid issues... but I have to say, its just a slow process. HAVE to exercise. HAVE to stay on program.
OH... I have to tell you... my sister in Oregon said she's got 'buds' on her flowering bush!! Spring is coming!!! It really is!!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Carolyn and Judy - you both look so great! And happy!! Thanks for the photo!

Judy -Thanks for going into some detail about EFGT. I have wondered if any of you have had gallbladder issuesfrom eating high fat? I haven't had any problemwith that but it makes sense to me that it could be an issue. Also, are your cholestrol levels okay?
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debby - thank you. Oh my stars I hope I don't ever have anything where I HAVE to stay on program!! I am always low carb, NEARLY always low carb and always high fat!
Maybe I would if I had to... I don't know...

Personally (personally - you get to have your own educated opinion!) I don't think total cholesterol means much. I think the best indication of a heart event or a stroke event is triglycerides and particle size of LDL. My triglycerides last check were 35? ish?
I have never had the test to see my particle size.

I think eating low carb will help you attain the fluffy particle size we want and the low triglycerides. Everything I read backs that up - do you see something different Debbie?
Would love to know.

I think the low fat movement has made our gall bladders think they can't handle fat.
Hopefully we can regain the proper function...
Old 03-03-2014, 03:36 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
Can't wait to see if EFGT works for me

OK....what I am seeing is that Helene is not doing EFGT, but instead, is doing the Metabolism Miracle Plan. OK. I was a little confused for a minute with the talk about the carbs every 5 hours. After such a lot of research, I have concluded that, IF IT WORKS, this EFGT program is the best for me.
Helene, I hear you about the fruit....but the amount that I want to eat is very minor. I'm talking about maybe 1/2 cup of fresh raspberries and strawberries over some cottage cheese for lunch....just for a little variety! So, that part works fine for me. I think I can do just fine hovering around 30-35 carbs a day. It was just the 20 that I just couldn't seem to handle!! I don't think my eating is going to change that much from Atkins....it's just that I am not restricting myself to the 20 carbs a day. As far as the protein is concerned, I don't think I was overeating Protein....but I will be checking every meal to see what my actual protein count is. Regarding the fat...well, I think I was doing a pretty good job of that between the butter and the cream and the mayo, etc. so I don't think I will have to increase too much in that department. I am truly very happy not eating all the sugar and bread and pasta and potatoes. 6 weeks away from all that and I not only don't miss it that much, but I've noticed that I never have heartburn anymore!! Haven't touched a Zantac in weeks and weeks!!! But here's the other thing.....I WANT to be able to have some substitute carbs when I want them. I want to be able to have an Atkins Endulge Chocolate Coconut bar every once in a while if I have the urge for chocolate. I want to be able to make some of the nice recipes without stressing over the artificial sweetener issue OR, even worse, not having ENOUGH carbs out of the 20/day. I'm not asking for much. I just want to settle into a W.O.E. that won't be torture and yet will get the scale moving down. All of my blood work is good. As far as I know, I don't have any major medical reason why I am not losing. But I am OLD and that doesn't help!! Screwed up my metabolism from years of yoyo dieting and now I'm just wanting this weight off so badly!!
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

oh yes, mayo---i eat mayo too lol ppl go nuts seeing me eat so much fat, i knew there was other fatty things i eat, besides fatty meats also. i havent quite gotten to the buttering my eggs or (rare) steak tho lol
i thot about my protein more, and i eat 2eggs for brkfst with 1.5oz cheese, so that meal is 3.5oz protein. then lunch is 3-4oz and dinner is 3-4oz, with another 1.5pc cheese for snack (getting my calcium in thru the cheese so its daily) --and some nuts maybe even couple times a day, but i dont do nuts daily, cud cut those out and just use them on days i'm hormonally whacked and RAVENOUS (its so defeating-feeling to get like this, its like sugar cravings, but i dont want sugary stuff, just FOOOOOOD)
so that would be (high end) 13oz daily without nuts, which is 117g, not much more than the 90-100g i should get based on wgt. i cud just do 3oz a meal, often i have liverwurst for lunch anyway which isnt much protein, but high fat more than anything. and my burgers are prob 3oz after cooking (but ive been known to eat 2 of them cuz i cant have much else). sometimes i eat alot of chicken tho, wud have to portion that and ground beef with veggies. even when i make tuna/salmon or chicken/turkey or ham salad i put onions, celery, grn olives with it so it goes farther (with less protein then too) yes, I even came up with a steak salad once--wow it was sooo good, but we rarely have steak so leftover steak is a miracle lol
or i am wrong on my protein needs? i dont have my book with me to look up the formula.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Alot of "counting" ?

Oh no.... I'm getting nervous with all this talk about grams and %'s....I thought this was going to be just cutting carbs back to around 30-35/day and eating a little higher fat and watching protein consumption. I don't like all the COUNTING
Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

its gotta be alot of fat consumption, like 60-70%. and u have to count ur protein as thats a certain percentage too
see mulberry, now MM is not so complicated huh lol
unfortunately i dont think MM works for me rite now...
Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I personally don't work that hard at adding fat. When I first started losing I did use fat bombs, but I used them as dessert.

I personally don't have a problem with artificial sweeteners. I love them all and I think they'll help me stay on track for the rest of my life. I find them far less frightening than sugar.

When I was losing, I nearly always had a dessert, meaning I also had all the alternate flours (well, almond flour & coconut flour) and I found recipes that had rave reviews. I started stalking this group because most of them cook and are inventive and quick to talk about the latest changes or updates to a dish that made it nearly indiscernable from high carb.

Mulberry I think a lot of people don't count and that's how they ended up with Atkins or similar. I had to count everything because I needed to educate myself and keep myself honest. Everyone's different.
And sorry if you are older as most of us here are, and have jerked our metabolisms around, it's just harder to lose weight, particularly if you are eating a lot of calories.

For higher fat, you would be naturally tending toward avocados, eggs cooked in butter or bacon fat, well... BACON... naturally choosing a fattier piece of meat rather than cutting off the fat, full fat cream cheese, nature-made oils rather than factory-made oils.

I've read lots of articles where there are so many good vitamins in the fat. I stopped taking antacids, too, after eating this way. I do think it's a healthful way to eat, but I don't think you have to go looking to add a lot of fat. Just shake off the low fat way of eating if you are restricting carbs.

Carolyn does Dr. Bernstein (the bible of low carb for diabetics) suggest that eating more than 5g of carbs at one time will trigger an insulin response? Or was that Dr. Atkins?

Does Barry Groves say to limit to 20g carbs/day?

Helene that doesn't really sound like way too much protein, but I would not add to that. And I would definitely see how many calories I was eating in a day. If you don't mind my asking- how old are you? If you mind, ignore me.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn I finally (FINALLY!! ) made your Italian sausage soup and we both LOVED it. Thank you for that recipe!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

i am almost HALF a CENTURY...was 49 in Jan
holla!
rofl
(have 5 kids--have had 2 of the babies in my 40s, that didnt help my PCOS one little bit i am sure)
its nice u had to ask me that, looking at my pic, which is 3 yrs old to be truthful, i just dont have one at this size current. all my pics are b4 i gained 30lbs last yr. so i was trying to be truthful in my looks lol

Last edited by Hélène; 03-03-2014 at 08:32 AM..
Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #56

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals..

Checking in after going to town with dh and buying stuff for Taco Soup, which I will post
shortly...

Atkins was the man with the 5 carb a week limit. What he said was very true for me.
Each person has to find their CCL (Critical Carb Limit)..This is where you lose and above it you will either maintain or gain. My CCL is probably at 30..not very high because
when I ate that lousy bread on Saturday, I gained 2 pounds.. Working it off..LOL.

Mulberry: I posted on your thread...You can always go crazy counting, but just make
sure that you don't overdo the protein cuz that acts like carbs.. Sad story.. Fat
is your BFF..

I need to post that funky bread that I make Gary..It does taste good, but it looks like
something from the 60's..Tree barkish..It does have some carbs because of the oatmeal, but not that bad..and there is tons of fiber..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #57

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Here is that recipe..Ignore this if you are just starting out..

The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Ingredients:
1 cup / 135g sunflower seeds (I used sliced almonds in a bag)
½ cup / 90g flax seeds (I used flax seed meal)
½ cup / 65g hazelnuts or almonds
1 ½ cups / 145g rolled oats
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
4 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
1 tsp. fine grain sea salt (add ½ tsp. if using coarse salt)
1 Tbsp. maple syrup (for sugar-free diets, use a pinch of stevia)
3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil or ghee
1 ½ cups / 350ml water

Directions:
1. In a flexible, silicon loaf pan combine all dry ingredients, stirring well. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable). Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it it.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
3. Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing (difficult, but important).
4. Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick an
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #58
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi ladies!!!

Love the picture Judy and Carolyn!!!
You're both gorgeous!!

Buffy so glad you're back!!

New ladies - I can't do EFGT any more, I just hang out here - so I'm no help at all!
I've actually lost 20 lbs eating carbs and limiting calories.
Don't follow my example!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

yes mary kay there are still some ppl with metabs that calories in=calories out so they can lose by simply limiting cals as everyone thinks, is taught and is the general train of thot in our culture. good for you .
Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

counting calories just not for me

Right Helene! That's so true. I mean look at all the WW success stories. It's just that I get much too hungry on diets that allow me to eat whatever I want (carbs included) and restrict calories to 1200/day. That's why I like the basic Atkins/EFGT plan----it definitely suppresses my appetite and that's a good thing for someone like me who can easily eat 3 bagels with butter in the course of a morning I would run out of "points" by noon