Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Oh now I feel badly for not checking in yesterday - so sorry, running from mother to baby to baby then having them all at our house starting late afternoon and EATING delicious prime rib!!! And we have leftovers all of us will enjoy. DH will deliver some to each kiddo. The babies got the bulk of the presents, so their parents enjoyed opening the bath toys and crinkly-paged books, etc. Next year will be fun.

I don't have a trace of that stuff. Man, Carolyn, to have it linger for a week is rough. I doubt you are contagious, but understand a lack of wanting to get out there yet.
Feel better soon.

MK thank you - I've seen that earth balance spread so now I'll be able to have that available for DDIL. And I'll check on that cheese. We have a Whole Foods, so I imagine they have lots of options, but I'd prefer to know what you already know.

Cindy and Sandy thanks for the help on which flavors to choose of Fiber Gourmet. I'll be so nice to have that option for myself. Hope I won't abuse them as I certainly would wheat crackers. Will definitely try the pasta. I have some Dreamfields here but for some reason I can't make myself fix it. It's probably all the goings-on with my mom.

She is reluctantly seeing she does not need us to spend the night with her anymore. I stayed there Christmas Eve, DH came over Christmas morning for fellowship, then when SS and her whole family came over, we went to see babies.

It would be very nice to be able to sleep in my own bed every night again.

We went to our dear friends' home Christmas Eve after church (and before going to my mother's, obviously) and at the last minute I microwaved on parchment cheese crackers and took them as an offering. They were eaten up in 30 seconds! HA HA! And both the parents in that house have had Sandy & Carolyn's stomach bug. All recovered but come to think of it they did say it was several days.

Buffy I love love love looking at lights. I will ask DH to drive my mother and me around here soon, before NYEve. With hot Hood chocolate milk!

Loved hearing about your Christmases. MK keeping all of you close in my prayers.
Sharon, you too.

Last edited by JMCM1; 12-26-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
We haven't looked at the lights yet..Might not make it until next week.. So glad you are healthy, Judy...

Judy, does your mom have an alert button system? Betty had one and we felt better..She had to check in each a.m., which is a good thing. She had to wear it to bed, which was uncomfortable, she thought..

Cheese crackers? What do you do specifically? For future reference..

Dh is heading to the farm for the afternoon..so, I'm going to watch some Charles Dickens or Jane Austen Netflix movie..Whopee..
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh such good post-Christmas choices, Carolyn! Dickens or Austen (or both!).

The cheese crackers - you've probably done it so much you've forgotten it!
I buy shredded cheese and place about 1Tbsp. (very loosely measured) in mounds on parchment paper (has to be parchment not waxed) and microwave for a little over a minute until it's browning on the edges.

After you take it out, it crisps up into perfect crackers of crunchy cheese.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #214

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Carolyn, I have a ? for you. I know you watch a lot of Netflix too so.....do you have a problem ever where the movie will just stop and try to load and then a message comes on and says it's not available at this time? I get that more than I like. Sometimes I just shut everything down, then turn everything back on and it'll work. Other times I just give up, and be mad, lol. It's very frustrating. Of course, Netflix likes to blame cable and cable likes to blame Netflix. Anyway, just wondered if you, or anybody here, has similar problems.

Judy, so glad you've avoided "The Thing" so far. I hope you're able to avoid it all season!!

I'm making bone broth from the prime rib bones!! Yum!!!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 12-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Where's that "fingers crossed" little emoticon??
Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #216

Sandy, I used to have this happen a lot. I think I unplugged everything including the Wii and started it up again. Unplugging is better than shutting it down for some reason.
Then again I might have reloaded Netflix onto the Wii.
HTH.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Thank you Judy for the well wishes. We don't observe Christmas so felt the need to lay low until it passed. I'm really looking forward to our festivals coming up next year.

I had the same problems with Netflex but not so much now. It just seemed to work itself out.

Having an alert button is a very good idea, Judy.

Carolyn you have me watching Bleak House now. I like Charles Dickens stories. I'm only on episode 3 so I have a way to go yet. Like it so far.

I've been having fun with my Vitamix. I finally broke down and got one. Dh and I have really enjoyed our green smoothies each day. He comes in an asks just what I put in it to make it green. Laughing. Gee, should I tell him? So far he loves them like I do.

It still feels like summer here. Boy do we need rain. The temps have been in the 80's for so long now I'm feeling like replanting our little garden. I suppose if I did then we would get frost and kill it all. Ha!

Judy your grand babies are just adorable. They will grow so fast. I know you will be spoiling them proper.

Time to get back to Bleak House. Have a nice evening ladies.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon

Last edited by Shalbrihil; 12-26-2013 at 07:07 PM..
Old 12-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #218

I always wanted a Vitamix...There is a thread on the Recipe Help place about it..Charski loves hers..It does a great job on ice, I think.

Those characters are so interesting in Bleak House..Dickens was so good making evil peeps evil and good peeps good..Very intricate story lines...

I watched North and South all day yesterday..It was the BBC version taking place in the UK.

Anyone watch the Castle show last night? They have our summer home on there, ladies...Downton Abbey..It was a great fun show. However, too much upkeep those big old castles..

Getting ready for the KC kiddies. Dh and I are going to the grocery store..I'm not secure yet driving, etc..I need my "butler" with me..LOL.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #219
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Today was day 1 of Chemo - 8 hours worth.
I scheduled a bunch of people to visit with him and he survived.
I just hope the next few days go well!
it's always day 2 . . . .
Old 12-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #220

Mary Kay, that is great that your dh had some friends to visit with him. Praying he has minimal or no side effects. Bless you both.

KC kids are here and Tjoes chocolate croissants are in the oven. Latkes to follow. BAD carny day but back on track tomorrow.

Hugs all around.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #221

Hi everyone..

Fun brunch, way too many carbs, but there is tomorrow..I got a Watkins Christmas Pudding for a "fun dessert"..Think gooey fruitcake..A little tiny bit goes a long way..

KC kids left..Ds went to meet his college friend in Topeka and another college roomie
will be staying with us tonight. Glad ds is meeting up with his old buddies.

We are going to a friend's house who has a tv room with a giant screen to watch the KSU game tonight. Akkk...I "made" some of the cookies that are in squares and you
pull apart and bake..So, taking them tonight.

Hope Phil is still feeling okay today..
Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #222
Princess Proofreader

Phil is doing really well today!
Yay!
He says he feels like he has a constant headache - but he probably needs more caffeine!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MK thank you so much for letting us know about Phil.
I hope he continues to feel okay.

Carolyn sounds like you got a good touch and go with your precious kiddos.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
PTL MaryKay. for healing.

Kiddo's left this morning. Spent the day doing laundry & catching up... now to catch up on sleep!

Hugs all.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #225

Hi..

Phil might need some excedrin.. I just discovered this for headaches..Where have I been?

Today is back on track day..Yesterday was a carb disaster..including last night's
sugar fest at our friends' house to watch the KSU game..(great game).

Debby: Sleep is a good thing..Hope you catch up.

Ds has one more trip to OKC on Tuesday..400 miles roundtrip for his last check up for his eyes. I'm staying home and regrouping.

Okay ladies..What do we want for a challenge name for January 2014? Put on your
thinking caps..

Have a good one..One more week until Downton Abbey..Who is watching???
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am watching Downton Abbey.

I will put on my thinking cap for the January name, but nothing's hopping up and waving its hand yet, sorry.

I did not get to cheat nearly the amount I wanted at Christmas. I even served low carb to my guests.

So on my list to cheat for New Year's Eve:
POPCORN!!
And croissants. I might eat only croissants and popcorn all day LOL
I bought corn for popping, not microwave popcorn. What oil should I use?
Do you think light olive oil is OK? Or should it be peanut oil? Or something else?

Then back on track 1/1/14.

My mother is reluctantly sleeping in her home alone now. She's done it for 2 nights.
She is visibly profoundly depressed by this. I guess she thinks we won't be there anymore ever, at all.

SS went back to work weeks and weeks ago and I must go back to work in the new year.

SS and I think we should still go see our mom every single evening - maybe have dinner with her (which we'll continue to supply) and visit a little, then go to our homes.
We'll trade off as we were when spending the night.

This is very unlike her previous to that surgery. I think I've heard of others going through something this traumatic and it taking them months to get back to their old selves. Depression is not uncommon, I've heard.

She has no will or motivation to "do" anything that used to hold her interest. HOWEVER (hold on to your hats) she will drive herself to Sunday School/church this morning. We've ridden around with her while she drives, and she lacks nothing as long as she only drives in safe times (Sunday morning) or neighborhood roads and I've even asked her not to turn left on a busy street, please. Just turn right and drive a little longer/further.

We see my mom's primary care doc on Monday and I think I'll ask him to increase the strength of her anti-depressant. It has definitely helped her sleep at night. But her depression and lack of motivation has actually increased.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Good morning

Judy I use olive oil. Have also used coconut oil, but not sure there's much point to it, as its definitely getting too hot, but tastes good I think.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Debby!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

About popcorn? When I was having popcorn I always used an air popper. When it was done I misted olive oil on the cooked kernels and added a little salt. Yummy!
Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I admit an addiction to carbs + fat.
I'm not proud of it!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #231

I would use coconut oil or palm oil for the popcorn. That's what all the theaters used to use before the big "bad fat scare" made them all quit. It's a cheat right? Enjoy it!!!

Busy busy weekend!!

MK, glad to hear Phil is doing ok so far. I know this has to be so hard. Especially 8 hours at a time of chemo!!! Sounds like you have some great friends and that's wonderful.

I have nothing when it comes to ideas for January names. I'm sure I'm going to excuse myself from the weigh in this time b/c I can't even imagine how much damage there is going to be to report. Bad, bad, month!!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #232

Oh...popcorn is my drug of choice. I would use peanut/coconut or palm oil because olive oil breaks down in that high heat. Be sure to add lots of butter.

I was doing really well until we had Chinese for lunch. But, only a little cheat..egg roll..
This is my no dinner night..

I got myself a new frying pan. It was rated No. 1 from Cook's Illustrated and only about
$30..T-Fal Professional pan..

Okay..I'll put on my thinking cap, if I can find it..I think we are having carb brain..LOL..

Judy: Yes, I'm sure your mom will get better, but it does take time to be her old self..Is she taking her Vitamin B's??? Good she is driving and getting out is so wonderful for her..No left turns is a good idea..No icy roads, either..
Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I forgot coconut oil was the oil they used in theaters! Thank you - and I sure have lots of that around.
And yes, I am definitely going to butter it up.
Might eat it several times during the day.

Because when it's over, I need it to be over and not a nibble here and a nibble there.

For our company tonight (we are having DS and his in-laws) I have done as little as possible, sorry to say. DH made too much prime rib (bless him), so who cares after that?
DS's SIL is sometimes vegetarian. She says it's too hard in Oklahoma, but nevertheless I'm offering a giant huge salad with homemade dressing and she can have that and hummus and store-bought wheat rolls. They look delicious but they don't appeal to me. I have also made a big pan of brownies.

I took every shortcut possible except the green beans will actually be steamed by me. And liberally dressed with bacon grease. Have failed to pick up the butter MK recommended for dairy-free.

Mother is not taking Vitamin B. Good point.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #234
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Today was day 1 of Chemo - 8 hours worth.
I scheduled a bunch of people to visit with him and he survived.
I just hope the next few days go well!
it's always day 2 . . . .
When is his next chemo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Oh...popcorn is my drug of choice. I would use peanut/coconut or palm oil because olive oil breaks down in that high heat. Be sure to add lots of butter.

I was doing really well until we had Chinese for lunch. But, only a little cheat..egg roll..
This is my no dinner night..

I got myself a new frying pan. It was rated No. 1 from Cook's Illustrated and only about
$30..T-Fal Professional pan..

Okay..I'll put on my thinking cap, if I can find it..I think we are having carb brain..LOL..

Judy: Yes, I'm sure your mom will get better, but it does take time to be her old self..Is she taking her Vitamin B's??? Good she is driving and getting out is so wonderful for her..No left turns is a good idea..No icy roads, either..
I love Cooks Illustrated! I have their Baking Illustrated and use it a lot.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #235
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Hi gang! Wow, time flies, just got on here and realized I had not posted since Christmas Eve.
Had a very nice Christmas. Felt fine that day but could hardly move the next few days, no energy. Slept plenty so guess body just needed to catch up on rest.
MK, thoughts sure are with you and Phil, wow, 8 hours of chemo.
Now I am ready to get back to normal, as we all are after the holidays. Have the desire to clean out and organize but know that my energy level won't get me far.
Enjoyed all the Christmas details.
BBL
Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #236

How 'bout "Jumping back on the wagon in January". Or you can leave out "back" for all those who never fell off, lol. Just an idea that popped in my head.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooooh I like that!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #238
Princess Proofreader

Hi!

I'm sure whatever name you come up with will be great!!
We could all Jump on the Wagon in January!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
When is his next chemo?

He'll have 4 hours this coming Friday and then a shot on either Saturday or Sunday to boost his white cell count. Then 13 days off before they start the 2nd session.

It works out well - we can take DS21 back to school during his off days and get him settled in Chicago.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #239

Hi gang.

Jump on the Wagon is a great name.. I feel the need to start jumping bigtime.

Good that Phil will have some days off in between the sessions..and it works well with
your DS21..

Hi Buffy: Glad your Christmas was a good one..The toffee elf needed some sleep for sure. Now you know how Santa feels..

Judy: Company! Brownies and green beans can be a meal in themselves. and hummus is soooo good..

Well, I put Alex back on insulin today. He was fine until he had surgery, then it has been 200 for the last two times I checked. So...I am hoping that he just needed a little bump to get his pancreas up to snuff again. His incision is looking very good, so most of the healing has taken place. Wish me luck, girls. My insulin was old, so I got some new at the vets. Should have gone to WMart, but I am hoping he won't need much.

Lunch out with Scarlet and I am taking her clothes shopping for her Christmas present.
When you are thin and cute and young, it is fun to buy clothes!!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes Carolyn. Join the wagon of success! I like Jump on the Wagon.
Closed Thread