Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
MK I am so sorry for that news, but I am hopeful in my prayers for you and your family.
Thank you for letting us know.

Carolyn I hope Gary is pain-free today, but "a log in his eye" sounds like something I'd want medicated! Hope he's much better today.

Love to all of you - hopes and prayers for strength and perseverance, and joy in opportunities we hadn't thought.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
MK - I am thankful that your DH has the support of you and his family. Praying for cherished intimate moments as you go through this time, and strength for the recovery if that is the direction this can go!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #153
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Dad's colonoscopy was great!!
No cancer and everything looked great from his surgery last year. He won't need another one for 3 years!!!
Thanks for the prayers everybody.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
So sorry to hear your news MK, and sending you all the support possible to deal with all that is in your future. Are all 4 kids home? That was not the results we were hoping to hear.
Sandy, glad things went well for DD. Carolyn, that feeling Gary had was not something I experienced nor did DH, I assume you let the dr know?
Had our dinner club Christmas outing last night, so good to be with these dear friends, we have been together for a long time. Only one was absent, she works for post office and is putting in long, long hours. One of the gals is pretty certain she will be laid off soon and another member and her DH were both let go last month, they worked together. Unsettled times for many. The gal who is getting laid off soon told me she couldn't afford to come so I paid for her meal as any of us would have but she didn't want anyone else to know. I insisted she come, told her she really needed to be with her friends, it was so worth it to have her there.
I am beginning to count the days until I won't be making toffee, packaging toffee, delivering and or getting more supplies for toffee. It has been the best year yet with people ordering several pounds at a time and or coming back for more. I have to admit I am getting tired. Just have to hang on for a few more days.
Hope all of you who aren't dealing with illness are enjoying the Christmas season!
Hugs
Old 12-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #155

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Oh, Mary Kay..Phil is on the top of my prayer list for sure. God is good..and the doctors can also do miracles with His help..We love you both..

Just got home..Dh had the stomach flu all night, so we skipped the checkup this morning and headed for home with gingerale, Pedialyte (which is better than Gatorade for dehydration), crackers, etc..paper towels..I drove my secret way (220 miles) and we made it home. Alex was fine, too..We are supposed to go to Wichita for the KSU game.
Dd and I might go by ourselves and leave dh home..

Yeah for Dad's colonoscopy...

Buffy: You need an elf to help you next year..No kidding... Some day I will feel secure enough to order your toffee and break it up into tiny bags for my friends.. and a tiny bag for me, of course.

Lots going on everywhere..Hope we can all focus on what is important this season and not let other things get in our way..

No presents wrapped yet.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn I'm glad you're home, but my gosh - poor Gary!
Have the symptoms slowed down? And I hope you don't get it...

Buffy I hope I'm secure enough to order your toffee one day, too.
I had no trouble reigning myself in last year at this time, but this year has been quite difficult for me. I keep having a bite or two of something - usually in the chip department. But toffee is an all-time favorite of mine.

Having DD & her DH and his parents over for dinner tonight. I decided to make it easy on myself and buy a Sadler's brisket. It is SOOOO good and smoky and tender. I'll just heat it up and listen to the compliments. Caesar salad with my homemade dressing, baked potatoes (not for me - don't miss that for some reason) freshly-steamed green beans seasoned with butter and bacon drippings, Judy Baker's Yogurt Biscuits using Jen Eloff's Splendid Gluten-Free bake mix, and a half-recipe of the Chicken Lady's Carrot Cake. And a baby! Which we promise not to eat.

No presents wrapped here, either. I would be more interested in wrapping if I could have a little bite of toffee in-between presents....
Old 12-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
No cancer and everything looked great from his surgery last year. He won't need another one for 3 years!!!
PTL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I am beginning to count the days until I won't be making toffee, packaging toffee, delivering and or getting more supplies for toffee. It has been the best year yet with people ordering several pounds at a time and or coming back for more. I have to admit I am getting tired. Just have to hang on for a few more days.
Hope all of you who aren't dealing with illness are enjoying the Christmas season! Hugs
Hope you get a rest from all that candy-making!
I just got back from shopping... putting together a family basket for DS. Popcorn popper, gift certificate to the DVD store & a nice basket. Need ideas for small gifts for the kiddo's... any ideas?
Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #158

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Judy, that is my excuse..NO toffee to give us the energy to wrap presents.. Oh my your dinner sounds delicious..I have to think of what we are having for Christmas dinner..I might get a small prime rib as it will be only 3 of us..Then the KC kids are coming on the weekend..Dd said she is planning our dinner then.. Happy face.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #159

I hope Gary gets over that tummy flu quickly. No fun at all! And I hope you don't catch it. Is Gary's eye feeling better? That is worrisome. Did the Dr say that he might have those symptoms?

I'm struggling with my eating habits this Christmas season too. I don't know why or what's different this year than any other, but I am struggling. I told DH I'll either lose weight or gain weight when he starts his new project. I sure hope it's losing!! And we have our vacation coming up too. So I better be super vigilant all of January, since I have a beach in my near future!

I love toffee too and I know if I ever ordered it that I'd eat the whole order myself! My favorite candy bar is a Heath bar! We made a new candy this year at our annual candy making day. It's pretzels, caramel made from brown sugar and butter and chocolate chips over the top with coarse salt to top it off. Let me tell you, it is EVIL candy!!! And so easy to make!! I love it!!!!

I made 3 different kinds of low carb peanut butter fudge today for DH. It's his very favorite candy so we'll see which one he likes best. I'll let you know.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 12-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #160
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Old 12-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #161
Princess Proofreader

He'll go to chemo class on Tuesday.
Get the PICC in on Thursday.
Start chemo on Friday - 8 hours worth.

Then only 1 hour the following Friday.

Then 13 days off and start the series again.

They'd like him to do it 3 times - maybe 4 if he can handle it.

They'll do scans during the weeks to keep an eye on his progress.

If all goes well, they'll schedule surgery about 4 weeks after the last chemo.

They'll remove the bladder, prostate and lymph nodes.
Then make him a neo-bladder.

Then ........
Old 12-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #162

Oh, MK, my heart hurts hearing all of this. What a road ahead you both have to travel. You both will be in my prayers continually. I know Phil is the patient but as his wife and partner you are right there with him every step of the way. Have they said if this is in any way connected to his other bout with cancer? I wish I was close enough to give you a giant hug and also to do something for you besides pray.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #163
Big Yapper!!!!

MK, wow, Phil has a tough road ahead, will be hard on you both.

I am having the opposite problem right now, nothing sounds good and I don't have much appetite. Of course the weight doesn't budge. I have made the toffee for so many years that I have no desire for it at all. I will warn those of you that love toffee, this is really good. Many people tell me it is the best they have ever had, don't mean to brag, just telling you what people say.

Are any of you getting ice and snow? My cousin in SE Iowa is.

Judy, your meal sounds really nice and yes, don't be nibbling on that sweet baby.

Finally got my labs back from last visit, all looked good, yay.

Debby, I like the basket idea.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, lots of snow... and moose visitors!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #165

Cool pic Debby!!

Snow headed our way today; 3-6 inches, if they're right. And cold!!

The great-grandbabies are going to be here for a couple of hours this morning while their parents go pick up a few last Christmas things. I can't wait to see them!

Have a wonderful day everybody!!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Holy moly MK. I will pray for you and your husband and your kids through this journey.
You are so strong and have such a wonderful viewpoint - I am sure you will be a great help, and it seems you have many friends right there who will help your family through this.

= = = = = = =
Buffy that is IT. Ive GOT to at least taste this.
Expect to hear from me in a different manner... (wow that sounds ominous - like 3 ghosts at Christmas visiting Scrooge).

Sandy how old are the great grandbabies? And again, how in the world can you possibly have GREAT grands?? You are so young! Nice to be young enough to enjoy them, though.

Debby when we were working in Wyoming & Colorado you always knew when a moose or two had made its way down near a road. EVERY car would stop and people piled out, pointing, taking pictures... it's always a big deal.

Dinner last night was great. Although it didn't just hop up and prepare itself, darnit.
I make a super-simple mock Caesar dressing that we much prefer to the real thing or to bottled glop. And I actually chopped up the Romaine so it was easy to eat, and poured a little bit of light olive oil over all the lettuce - which kept it fine for more than an hour before serving. Then I salted & peppered the lettuce and dressed it right before serving. Really good.

Those yogurt biscuits are REALLY good. The carrot cake was indiscernable from high carb carrot cake. I bought ready-to-eat & cook (didn't have to snap or remove strings) green beans from Wal-Mart in a big family-sized package, steamed for 5 or 6 minutes, then tossed them with bacon grease and butter. HA HA low fat people who ate them like they were a duck on a June bug! They had baked potatoes and I didn't, but I confess I ate DH's potato skin after everyone left.

We're having an ice storm - freezing rain that I hope will remain inconsequential. NO POWER OUTAGES please! Trees and power lines are covered in ice.

DGD is being baptized tomorrow. We got her a little bracelet at James Avery with a cross pendant - she'll be able to wear it when she's older and maybe on her wedding day. Not that I'm projecting too far in the future!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #167

Judy, the babies are very close in age. The oldest is 2 and will turn 3 in March. The baby just turned 1 in September. We had LC blueberry pannycakes for breakfast and the oldest got to help. He's a great helper. But then he hardly ate anything. The youngest scarfed them down, enjoying every bite, with Papa's help. After breakfast the oldest then went on an "I want" spree and ended up eating a hard boiled egg, LC peanut butter truffles and grape tomatoes, lol. Two hours later, their parents came to pick them up and we were whipped and in a daze, lol. Amazing what happens to a house in 2 hours with 2 little ones but we loved every minute.
Oh, a baptism. I love those. And I think that's a wonderful sentiment about the bracelet; I hope it happens.
Your dinner sounds wonderful!! Yummy!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy, you're right... something about moose... they're so amazingly different then anything else. Fascinating to watch. Head seems way too big & they look like they should be clumsy- but they're not. Our visitors were back again this morning for DH to watch. Molly only 'growled' at them, which is what I hoped to teach her yesterday when she barked... don't want her chasing them or barking incessantly.

Got my shopping done. Need to clean/decorate house... wrap...

DD & family arrive tomorrow night - Lord willing

Be safe y'all! I see you've got some bad storms.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debby how many kids does your DD have? Sounds fun!

I am typing this hoping we don't lose power - might through the night. We have 1/2" of ice on trees and power lines. *sigh* Streets are only wet.

Sandy I LOVE how your menu is all LC for your great grandbabies! I'm going to do that, too! (um..... low carb peanut butter truffles??? one of us has been holding out... )
Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #170
Princess Proofreader

Thanks Judy!!

I hope everything with DH goes smoothly!

Keep all the bad weather away until DD27 gets home from Aspen!!!

Sandy - sounds like a great time!!!

Debby - Moose are so cool!!

Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #171

Sorry Judy, here you go, I used half & half and the cocoa and sweetener coating mix:

Instant Peanut Butter Fudge Truffles
One night I was mixing things up like a mad scientist, and similar to that famous chance meeting of peanut butter and chocolate I hit upon the secret to Instant Fudge!!! I was trying to make a quick late night snack that would duplicate the taste of a peanut butter cheesecake. What happened next was a complete surprise as the mixture instantly thickened up like fudge!

Recipe by: George Stella
Category: desserts
Serves: 4

Prep time: 5 mins
Total time: 5 mins

Ingredients

4 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon ricotta cheese (may use sour cream, heavy cream, half and half or unsweetened soy milk)
5 packets Splenda brand sugar substitute
1 teaspoon no sugar vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (for coating)
1 packet Splenda sugar substitute (for coating)
1 tablespoon almond flour (for coating)
1 packet Splenda sugar substitute (for coating)

Instructions

Add the peanut butter, ricotta and sugar substitute and vanilla to a bowl and mix vigorously with a fork for only a minute or so until the mixture thickens considerably and looks like dough.
Using 2 small bowls, mix together the cocoa powder and sugar substitute in one and the almond flour and sugar substitute in the other.
Next use your hands to roll out marble size pieces of the mixture and then toss them in the coating of your choice and serve!

Helpful Tip
Optional Classic Fudge Presentation: Flatten the mixture onto a dish until it is a ˝ inch thick layer and cut with a sharp knife into small squares. (Note: Slight chilling will make this instant fudge even more solid, but we can never wait!)

Nutrition Information
Calories: 120 Fat: 9 Net Carbs: 4 Fiber: 1 Protein: 4
Old 12-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! Thanks Sandy!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #173
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi gang!
Loved the moose picture, don't see that out my window

Sandy, yes, 2 hours wipes both us and our house out with 2 little ones.

Judy, your dinner sounded like a great hit.

MK, why did
I think DD moved from Aspen? Hmmm, will they all 4 be home? Sure hope so.

Judy, I will send you the special calorie free, carb free, fat free toffee, ie an empty box, haha

Stole away a couple of hours today to see movie. The Hustler. Good and good to take a break.

Stay safe everyone in your wintry weather!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi girls,
Glad you all enjoy the moose picture. They are so cool.
I made Jambalaya for the first time tonight. DH wanted to order it at the restaurant, but I was sure it would be too hot for him. So I made it for him. Pricey dish! He enjoyed it.
Have a blessed Sunday!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #175
Princess Proofreader

Hi!

One of those days - I'm really not in the Christmas spirit at all - gee wonder why!

I'm worried about DD27 driving across CO and KS by herself.

Stress is a great weight loss plan.
107 this morning.

If only I was TRYING to do this!

DD29 was supposed to be helping a lot this year - is she? Not that much.
So, I'll go to the store tomorrow, and buy all the stuff and do it myself.

Sigh.

Anyone have a good turkey breast recipe?

Buffy - DD27 IS moving - from Aspen to Chicago!
But she'll hang out here for a while first! Yay!

Sandy - I could make that dairy free - that might be worth trying! Thanks!!

Debby - Yum!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #176
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning DFs
MK, think you have your hands full and more right now, this is the year you certainly are entitled to pare down your lists of do's, try to pick out the must do's, should do if I have time and the "just isn't going to get done" list. Nobody but you will care or notice? Try to just enjoy Phil and your family!

I think I have plenty of toffee made to finish filling my orders, whew!

Had lunch with a friend yesterday, we relaxed over spicy bloody Mary's and had a really nice time. Good to slow Down.

Remember everyone, Breathe in, breath out!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #177

Great advice Buffy. For all of us. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #178
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
MK, I am so, so sorry you and your family are going thru this! You both are in my thoughts and my prayers.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #179
Big Yapper!!!!

Hello, the countdown is ticking!

Cleaned my kitchen today, afraid it had suffered a little with the non stop cooking!

DH and I are looking forward to going out for a drink and dinner, then seeing the lights Christmas Eve.

Did you all breathe in? How about out? Did you remember to do that?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WHAT?
I've been breathing in all this time and finally read the second part about breathing OUT!

Crunch time.

Wrapping, admitted to SS I had zero gifts for her adult kids.
The gifts I ordered for my kids have thoughtfully decided to arrive 12/28.

So wrapping the gifts I DO have, and will actually wrap pictures of the gifts that will arrive later.

Then planning a Christmas day dinner with both kids & babies.
DDIL says she is not taking in any dairy. Says the breastfed baby gets too gassy and uncomfortable when she does. She is a good mom. Wouldn't be surprised if the babies are lactose intolerant - they are, after all, part Native American.

I can't resist - here are our babies, Piper and Maddox from Thanksgiving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piper_maddox-1.jpg (72.8 KB, 12 views)
Closed Thread