Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #61
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi all!

DH's biopsy is tomorrow, DS24's plane is in the air - only an hour late.
I guess Milwaukee is having lots of snow.

We have freezing rain that I hope stops so we can get to the hospital by 6:00am.
Prayers please!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
God bless you both!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sigmun
I am switching to Atkins diet, I was really successful with it years ago. I am up 2 1/2 pounds.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Good morning

Oh praying that MK and her dh got to the hospital safely. Yikes on the freezing rain!!

Atkins is a great plan and that is what I do. EFGT is really Atkins with limited protein which is now all touted by the LC experts.

My dd's kitty Sylvia had acute kidney failure on Friday and the vet couldn't save her so they put her to sleep yesterday. They are very broken heartened today.

Have a brunch today. I am making that Breakfast Lasagne on the board.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #65

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Prayers for MK's DH and for MK as well.

Poor Beth and Shawn. So sad. Was the kitty quite old?

Happy birthday to Grant!!!

Judy, I make the gravy with 1/2 & 1/2 and thicken it with a few shakes of guar gum. Served over carbquik biscuits, yum!!! I think I'll go eat the leftovers right now!! I like guar gum as a thickener. I have it in a salt shaker and sprinkle and stir and have never had clumping problems with it using it like that.

The gingerbread sure sounds yummy!

Sigmun, glad you stopped by. This is a great group for encouragement so you're more than welcome to stick around. None of us are "very strict" EFGT-ers, but all mostly do low carb in some way. But we even love the ones who don't or can't anymore too. Best of success to you in whatever path you choose.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #66

It's snowing..

On sweet Syvia..She was probably 14ish..They got her in Lawrence when an elderly lady had to go in the nursing home and she couldn't take Sylvia..

Well, the gingerbread was good, but I like a spicier "gingerbread" so will do some more research to up the spices.

Many people loved my Creamy Breakfast Lasagne this morning..I made the meat part the night before and it was cold when I added the eggs this morning..One hour later it is not done, SO, I prayed and put in the microwave for 10 minutes and it came out perfect.
I had never done that before, but it worked out great. I wonder if I could cook the whole thing in the micro for 20 minutes...Hmmm..

On the gingerbread recipe..Cloves is in most gingerbread and a bunch of molasses..So, we certainly could add cloves and a touch of molasses..

Last edited by CarolynF; 12-09-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
So sorry about DD's Sylvia.

I like spicy gingerbread, too, and spicy pumpkin pie, and spicy Jody's pumpkin bake.
I nearly always almost double the spices in those things. LOVE clove...

I'm going to try Carolyn's (All Day I Dream About Food) gingerbread men she posted the other day. I don't know when I'm going to get a block of time to do that, but it's on my list!

Carolyn I'm going to go look for that breakfast lasagne. Eggs in the microwave actually turn out pretty puffy, right? It seems like my only challenge is not getting them rubbery.

Sandy - thanks for the gravy info. I think guar gum is pretty easy to find. I already have xanthan and gluclomannan, so why not get more thickening things?

Happy birthday, Grant!

MK were you all able to get the hospital on time? And in one piece?
Freezing rain is horrid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit: That Creamy breakfast lasagne was our Christmas egg casserole last year! We are requested to make it again by all who ate it - that is a delicious breakfast casserole and thank you for posting that.

Last edited by JMCM1; 12-09-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #68

I got a special delivery today!!!! Woohoooo!!! Now I get to look at corn bran and try to figure out what to do with it. Thank you so much Judy!! And your note was so sweet; it just made my day. Oh and thanks for the sticker with the nutritional info on it too. That was very thoughtful of you.

I double checked my thickener and it is guar gum. I also have xanthan gum and glucomannan, lol. So yes, you probably do need to add guar gum to your pantry. I think i bought mine 10 years ago and I still have probably 1/2 a jar so I guess it doesn't go bad.

MK, I hope all went well today.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It warmed up enough to go for my 1st x-country ski on my new skis & for this year... 19F; 35 minutes. Muscles really feel it!
Molly was afraid of the skis for the first 5 minutes... then enjoyed the jaunt through the snow... then decided to 'herd' the skis. No matter what we use for her walks/runs, she's gotta herd you away from the house when its time to go in! (or at least try, the first few times). I think she's going to love this... she travels 10 x as far as I do, through the bush, back & forth... checking out all the tracks & hunting for mice.
Hope you're all surviving the cold-front.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #70

That sounds like a very fun activity, for you and for Molly. I know my Bailey would love it! But she'll just have to enjoy it vicariously through Molly, lol.

I could NOT sleep well last night. I've been awake since 3:30 and finally just gave up and got up. Every once in awhile I have a night like that. Thankfully, they are few and far between now. Not like when my hormones first started going whacko 15-20 years ago. I look back now and wonder how I even functioned on the little sleep I got then.

My dad has to go in for a 1 year checkup colonoscopy next Friday. It's been a year since his colon cancer surgery. I pray, pray, pray that they find nothing. I hate that he has to go through that terrible prep day and night to prepare for it too. At 83 that has to be hard. Heck at 63 it's hard! Ugh. But I'm hopeful he'll get a good report.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #71

Hi..

I used to love to Cross Country ski when I was in NH..In fact, the end of our street had the best long beautiful trail through the woods..And it was flat.. Go, Molly, go.

Yikes on waking up, Sandy..Not fun. Praying that your dad has an easy time prepping and they find nothing..

Well, I haven't been to the gym in a while..Will they recognize me?? LOL..Gotta take my car in first..I will use dh's as he always has the red pickup..LOL..

Little bit of snow..Nothing bad. Tulsa doesn't have school..I guess those buses can't handle the hills..

Check in later..
Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

for your Dad Sandy.
LOL... yes, you'll have to tell your doggies about Molly's adventures. Do your dogs watch tv? Molly LOVES to see animals & birds on tv...
Carolyn hope your gym day goes well & fun! Your old ski trail sounds perfect! I love flat! The new skis I got are supposed to be better for balance & made for cutting trail through the bush... which I did yesterday & it did work well... couldn't try the driveway though, it is too hard, solid ice... that's why I ventured into the fresh snow.
Have a good day everyone! The arctic front is leaving here now... which means it should leave you soon too.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The neighborhood streets are ice rinks here.
And they factor in wait time/temperature for kiddos waiting on a bus.
I think it was 11 degrees this morning, so they canceled again.
DH and I have been driving around without a problem since the ice started last week.

Molly: entertaining us all from afar! Debby you are so devoted to fun exercise. If I were near you I'd get some skis and go with you! But as Sandy said, I'll admire your treks from my mother's computer chair.

Sandy, I will pray for an easy prep day(is there such a thing?? ) and good outcome for your dad.
I have many nights of few hours sleep, sorry to say. And it does affect everything else...
Old 12-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #74

Yes, I imagine waiting for a bus would be miserable in the cold weather...Yikes..

Dh and I did our good deed and vacuumed ds's apartment..Good thing I had my new Shark as it did a wonderful job....The rest of the place was fine..Washed the floors with my Swiffer, then we went to lunch. LOL..Poor dh...he ordered chili and it wasn't that great at our local restaurant. He got it at Garfields last week and it wasn't that great either..Is there a lesson here? Go to Braums for the best chili ever..No kidding.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #75
Princess Proofreader

After a great first surgery at 8:30am, blood clots developed and he ended up with a 2nd surgery at 9:00pm. It was a long day. I was there from 6:00am until 10:30pm.

He's better today but has to stay another day . . . . and the path reports will come back tomorrow and then we'll find out what comes next.

We do know he has bladder cancer, so it's more what the next step is . . . .

Sandy - Good luck for your dad!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh MK - what a day.

My dad had bladder cancer and it was a quick simple surgery.
My oncologist friend said, "He'll get it again."
But he didn't ever get it again.
Hoping this is easy and resolves quickly.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

God bless your DH Mary Kay.
My phone came! It synched really easily through Google... only thing missing is my contacts. I also was able to put my music on it (even though its not i-tunes).
So, I spent 2 hours in town, set up my phone, then took a 25 minute ski with Molly in the field. We worked on the herding thing (once we were heading home)... and she did quite well. Noticed tonight, that she has a scratch on her nose... guess she got closer to one of the kitties than they liked!
Feeling good... Hope y'all are doing well!
It would be fun to have a buddy go skiing with... but we are a LONG way away... so fun we can be friends anyway.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #78
Princess Proofreader

Thanks!!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #79

MK, I'm so sorry. I pray for strength for you both. It sure sounds like yesterday was a scary, long day. I pray that whatever the next step is will go smoothly and be successful.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #80

Judy, I tried a corn bread recipe last night. I didn't have vital wheat gluten but read where I could sub a little bit of ground ginger instead. So I did. It wasn't bad. Had a slight taste of corn. DH liked it. It was very crumbly. I don't know what to change to change that? I cooked it in micro, next time I might cook in oven. I also ordered some of the fresh corn flavoring yesterday. Yes, yet another "lc item" for my pantry, lol. I actually ordered a 5-pack of several flavors to try. Buttoni uses them and gives them and gives them high marks, so we'll see.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #81

Good morning,

Oh, dear, Mary Kay..Glad they are keeping him overnight. Blood clots are pretty common, so glad they took care of them and pray he doesn't get anymore. Praying for the perfect treatment for his bladder cancer.

Debby: Glad you got your phone..and good luck with Miss Molly..Yes, I wish I was there to cross country with you..Where I live, there is not enough snow..

Changed my weigh-in until the 2nd week in January..Why do I feel relieved??

Well, the $50 washer/dryer is still on. We will take it in the pickup down to Tulsa after
our friends leave. It's a real bargain..Hopefully, dh can hitch it up right with no leaks.

Hmmm..Corn flavoring sounds good. Buttoni is an amazing cook..

Best wishes for your dad's prep day..

Have a good day..It was good to get back to exercising yesterday.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well Sandy - yay for you for finding corn flavoring! buttoni had said she wasn't able to get the kind she liked anymore - they had possibly stopped making it. It is something I'd be happy to keep in my cabinet.

I made some famous lc person's corn bread (I kind of want to say Maria's. If I weren't so lazy I'd go back to November's thread and look. Anyway - not sure who it actually was) and I think it was nearly all coconut flour. I used bacon fat for the coconut oil the recipe called for. If I was making cornbread in real life I'd use bacon fat, too.

It tasted good, but for some reason after we initially ate a bite or two, it never got eaten. I thought I'd use it to crumble for lower-carb dressing, but it just didn't appeal after the initial taste - which we both liked. And it was very crumbly, as you might imagine.

I think I discarded my vital wheat gluten after all the wheat news. My sister can really tell she is gluten sensitive - not intolerant, but enough to tell. I think I am a little gluten sensitive but I could definitely not tell when I put a couple of tablespoons of flour with my butter to make chicken gravy for my mother a couple of nights ago. lol!

MK I hope you can check in today even for a little to let us know how today is for you and your DH. Caring for your DH can take ALL your time and attention so we won't be too demanding for news.
Just a little demanding.
And prayerful.

Debby I love the way you ended your post - that you live a long way away but "so fun we can be friends anyway."
It is!

Carolyn, smart move for the weigh-in. You'll be great, I am sure.
Would be nice if we'd have slightly warmer temperatures this weekend. Aldi's in Bville - cans of pumpkin always 89 cents!
When you exercise is it mostly the slow burn type? Not that I'm ready to crack open that DVD mind you...

to all.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #83

Yes, Judy, buttoni had been unable to find it, but I 'think' that's where I found the link to this place to order it, so maybe she found a new source? IDK, but I did order some and I hope it's good. I too had a brand new box of VWG and part of another box that I threw away!! when all the wheat stuff came out.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #84
Princess Proofreader

Hi!

DH is home, but his catheter had to come with him - he's not happy about that.
He'll have it until next Thursday - the first available appointment to take it out!

The path report is in but the doc hasn't called yet to set up an appointment to talk about it.

So I took a huge popcorn tin to his nurses - they went above and beyond over the last few days. I hope they enjoy it!

I'm tired.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #85

Now the waiting.....the hardest part sometimes.

That was very thoughtful of you MK. I'm sure the nurses appreciated that very much. It's so comforting to find healthcare workers who still do care, isn't it?

I'm sure your DH is not happy with the catheter. Maybe his doc will have a cancellation before next Thursday???
Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #86

Hi,

Oh, MK..no one likes a catheter.. Maybe the bladder needs to heal after the biopsy..
Hope it is not too terrible. Let's hope the doctor calls quickly so you can get in and find out what treatment they are going to use. I'm sure the nurses loved the popcorn..Sometimes they don't get to eat lunch, but snacks are great.

Off to Christian Women's Club today..I will be the Chair for another year. It is kind of fun cuz I don't mind speaking in public, like so many ladies do. Our speaker is coming from Bella Vista, Arkansas..

Time for coffee..
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #87
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
My ex had to have a catheter for a week once. It is uncomfortable for sure. I'm so sorry you and your DH are going thru this.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #88

Akk..back on plan.. I was okay at lunch, but need to be very good before the next trip to OKCity (next Wednesday)..Very good..

Scarlet and I are going to Frozen this weekend. It is right after lunch, so no popcorn for me..
Old 12-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sure hope / pray that health issues clear up for Sandy's DD & MK's DH.
Had a good day. Worked extra long so I could have tomorrow off.
Our new furniture will arrive tomorrow. Finally replacing our living-room set that we bought 23 yrs ago.
Guess its time to start thinking about buying gifts...
Old 12-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #90
Princess Proofreader

Thanks for the support!!

He has an appointment to have the catheter removed and immediately following he'll meet with the oncologist - all next Thursday.

I guess we can wait a week!
Closed Thread