Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Eat Fat, Get Thin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/)
-   -   THANKFULLY THIN FOR THANKSGIVING CHALLENGE (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/816309-thankfully-thin-thanksgiving-challenge.html)

CarolynF 10-31-2013 04:48 PM

THANKFULLY THIN FOR THANKSGIVING CHALLENGE

Starting us off for November!!!

sjl330 10-31-2013 04:56 PM

Thanks for starting us up Carolyn! Happy thanksgiving!!

CindyCRNA 10-31-2013 07:05 PM

I'm here! I'm going with my weight Wed morning before that night of dinner and drinks!! And Halloween candy!!

sjl330 10-31-2013 07:16 PM

Down 1.4 for the month so still up a tad more than I'd like. I tried on a pair of jeans yesterday that were really tight last time I tried them on and now they fit great, so I guess my body is shifting and changing with the workouts so I'm not sweating it too much.
Not one piece of Halloween candy today!! Don't ask about the wine though, lol. It was red, so that's healthy right????

DebbyL 10-31-2013 07:50 PM

Thanks for the new thread. Thankfulness is a wonderful thing to concentrate on for the month. ;)
Primal going well, still a balancing act for my system with losing the oat-bran. But wt. is continuing to gradually drop. :)

Fit2010 10-31-2013 08:05 PM

I'm so thankful I have you girls!! The commitment to a new month of LC accountability is renewing!

TuscanGirl 10-31-2013 08:08 PM

Hi!
Thanks for the new thread, Carolyn!
Great job Sandy!
Debby - I'm thankful for you all!
Debbie - don't add too much stress to your life!

Down another 1/2 lb - 114.8.
A new low.

Fit2010 10-31-2013 08:25 PM

Thanks MK, decided to edit my post that you had read. I know there are times to say NO, but in initial interview this past summer this is something I brought up I was hoping someday could happen. Praying about it and waiting to see how things are with Mom.

JMCM1 10-31-2013 08:45 PM

Thank you Carolyn!

I am grateful for each and every one of you. :heart:

I am 147 and pretty happy about it considering ...

CarolynF 11-01-2013 05:39 AM

Good morning..

Yes, I am thankful for all of you, too..Great encouragement and love always shines through this group.

I lost .5..:) So, I'm at 144..which is okay with me.

Yeah for jeans that fit better, Sandy..And our MKay is slipping away...Cindy did well for all her travels and Halloween candy..Judy is doing great despite being a part time nurse for her sweet Mom..Debby, we are all in your corner..:) Debbie is always amazing how she sticks to the plan perfectly..and she has Molly to keep her active..Sharon is hanging in there..Yeah,you!!

Where is our Buffy?

I made some Brownie Bark from Carolyn Ketchum's blog...Very good..

Shalbrihil 11-01-2013 08:59 AM

Good morning everyone. I'm sorry to report that i'm up 2 pounds from last month. 284 this morning. I haven't been able to get my walks in with the fur kids because of back, hips and knee pain. Sigh! This happens now that I've put on so much extra weight gain.

Time to kick it up a notch and get focused again. I'm so thankful for this challenge. You are all wonderful gals and I feel are my best friends. Take care and enjoy the first day of November. :)

JMCM1 11-01-2013 09:37 AM

I think it's so hard to focus much when I'm in pain.
Thinking of you, Sharon.

And Debbie - the emotional toll of your mom is huge, too.

Yes, Debby and Molly stick to plan! Sandy does too and I think Cindy does but those two & MK seem able to "afford" the odd off-plan things. :)

Carolyn you are in a sweet spot, it seems! :)

Buffy?

Oh Buuuuuuffffffyyyyy??? :)

And if I left anyone out, I'm sorry!

CarolynF 11-01-2013 01:07 PM

:) Hi ladies..

Sharon, my personal opinion is that you have done so well, weight-wise, you might
have to adjust your food..You have lost a 5th grader, so try cut back on "his" portions and see where that takes you. Pain is a bummer..:) Hope you feel less pain shortly..

Judy..yes, I think this is my sweet spot..I am about 10 pounds down from this time last year when I started going to my LC doctor..I do think the metformin made a huge difference..

:) Hugs..

TuscanGirl 11-01-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 16666437)
And our MKay is slipping away..

More than you'd think - weigh-in this morning was 112.4!
So 2 lbs less than yesterday!
This is so weird!

I did some blood work this morning, so didn't get breakfast until almost 9:30 that I ate bread in the car on the way to exercise (that I was 1/2 an hour late for), then errands, then walked Merlin 4 miles, then ate a sandwich for lunch, then more errands, crackers and soy cheese for snack and soup and bread for dinner.

That sounds like enough food, right?

Sharon - be gentle with your pain. Maybe you need different exercises, like yoga or tai chi!

Debbie - sometimes No is the best answer!

Carolyn - your food always sounds so good!!

Judy - :heart:

DebbyL 11-01-2013 09:26 PM

Hi girls,
I'm agreeing with y'all...:hugs:
Be blessed!

My MIL has taken a turn for the worse & Dr. says she's only got a month left to live. She's basically refusing medical intervention, they've got her on hospice, at home. So we're on stand-by to go down to help out.

My intention was to get ready to go today, but felt so drained that I wasn't able to accomplish much... although I did get some done. Have had to force myself to work-out the last few days... hope this passes soon, as I'll need energy. :newbie:
Hope Judy's & Debbie's Moms are improving! :hugs:

sjl330 11-02-2013 05:42 AM

So sorry to hear the news about your MIL Debby. The mental anguish of hearing about her may be what has sapped your energy right now. And it might not be a bad idea to take a day or two break from your workouts to allow your body to digest everything.

I guess we're all at that age that our parents are getting very frail or we've already lost them. I lost my mom 5 1/2 years ago and almost lost Dad last December. He's back to feeling great now but he is 83 years old.

I was on baby duty yesterday for the oldest one. He was sick and couldn't go to daycare. During the afternoon his fever spiked and he started throwing up! I called his momma and by the time she got there the daycare had called to come pick up the little one because he was sick too. Poor little guys.

CarolynF 11-02-2013 06:00 AM

Hi

Mary Kay is on the Bread diet..Who loses weight eating bread? I am guessing that your
calories are low..With the 4 mile walk, you probably were in a deficit..You might want to
calculate the calories and see where you are..1200 is always a good number to shoot
for, the doctors say..

Oh, Debby, it is hard when our "parents" are dying..So sad for you both..Praying for a sweet time in these last days.

Oh..sick babies are no fun, especially for them. Hopefully, they can recover over the weekend, Sandy.

KSU beat Pitt State..(thank the good Lord)..but didn't play "great"..

Hugs all around..Gotta feed Mr. Alex.

Jody1958 11-02-2013 07:18 AM

Intro and goal

Hi, I posted an intro in the low carb main lobby, but I will introduce myself again here. I have done low carb with good results in the past before, also had a gastric by- pass in 2005. I had crept up over the past year and re-started low carb on oct 1, weighed 172. Today my average for this past week is 164. I have been reading EFGT and gradually switching to high fat. I really think that has helped, plus I am enjoying avocado and coconut milk ( made a coconut milk pudding with stevia last night). I also bought some almond breeze coconut, and I find these high fat foods very sustaining and I am enjoying that I don't have to choke down meat at each meal. So far I'm not counting grams or calories, but I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks, meat once or twice per day, (with a little sugar free spaghetti sauce sometimes)eat veggies, dill dip (mayo, sour cream, a and dill weed), vinigarette (olive oil and balsamic vinegar), tahini, pork rinds, unsweetened coconut, coconut milk, avocado, almonds, pecans, cheese, cream. cheese muffins, Atkins drinks. I try not to munch outside my 3 meals, 2 snacks and not eat after 8 PM. So far, that is working, I will probably need to get more precise as I get closer to goal. So my goal for the end of November is 157. - Jody, 55 year old wife and mother of 4 beautiful kids ages 18-28

CindyCRNA 11-02-2013 09:15 AM

Welcome Jody!!

Word of warning: I am noticing the stomach flu going around. I haven't had it for 20 years so knock on wood!!!

Nice fall weather going on here. The trees are peaked right now.

CarolynF 11-02-2013 11:22 AM

Hi everyone..

and a special welcome to Jody..:) You can do it....Watch the calories, too..but don't obsess with that. Many of us can't lose on 2,000 calories, even LC ones..but we do fine with 1500 or a bit less..Our metabolisms slow down after 40...EEKKK..

Have a great weekend, everyone!! Got my flu shot with 4 strains or something like that.

Jody1958 11-02-2013 12:53 PM

Counting calories

I don't think I have to do that yet, because I am losing with what I am doing. As long as I can lose 1 pound/week, I plan to stay with eating the foods I listed, up to 5X day, none between, and none after eight. I also try to eat a moderate amount at each eating occasion. If (when) I stop losing, I will pull out these tools in order, 1 counting calories, 2 counting/limiting protein, 3. Killing all artificial sweeteners except stevia, 4. Cutting out dairy, 5. Cutting out all artificial sweeteners, including stevia, 6. Maybe limiting nuts. --Jody

CindyCRNA 11-02-2013 02:19 PM

Buffy is posting on FB. I will re-direct her!

DebbyL 11-02-2013 02:26 PM

:welcome: Jody! This is a fun group, great cooks here that share recipes... and life. :)
Thanks for the warning Carolyn... this new flu... starts with stomach issues?:sick:
That will be fun to see Buffy! :hugs: Good luck!

I came to the realization that it is my adrenals messing with my muscles & energy, so upped my isocort & w hah-lah! I'm doing around better! ;)

JMCM1 11-02-2013 06:27 PM

Wow Debby - that was fast! Glad you feel better - so sorry to hear about your MIL.
Very sad. :hugs:

My mom is doing so much better - just no energy at all, but it will happen.
She feels quite well and will eat if we ask her to eat (so we do!) Still being fed by tube all night long, but not at all during the day.

Jody sounds like you've got a good start! Nice to lose weight again, I'm sure. Probably a good idea to make sure you're getting enough protein so you're not losing lean body mass? Pork rinds have protein!

Cindy I saw Buffy posting on FB - and then I printed the 1 hour yeast rolls recipe she posted hoping to bribe my non lc family at Thanksgiving! :laugh:

JMCM1 11-02-2013 06:29 PM

Do any of you have a favorite/good/easy peanut butter cookie recipe? I have the basics here at my mom's. I saw one of Ginaaaaa's but it has peanut flour, which I don't have anywhere.

Thanks if you do!

TuscanGirl 11-02-2013 08:49 PM

Hi!

Debby - so sorry!!! :hugs:

:welcome: Jody! You're doing great!

Carolyn - no one is supposed to lose on the bread diet! :stars:

Cindy - I go my flue shot at 9:00am Monday and by 3:00pm felt horrible - just like I had the flu - achy, crampy, etc. But I was fine the next morning, so i hope that was it for the next year!

Sandy - poor litle guys!! I hope you don't catch it!!

Judy -

Easy PB Cookies

(makes 1 dozen)

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup white sugar

1 egg

Directions

Preheat oven to 350

Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine the peanut butter, white sugar and egg. Mix until smooth.

Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for 6 to 8 minutes. Do not overbake!

These cookies are best when they are still soft and just barely brown on the bottoms.

JMCM1 11-02-2013 08:55 PM

Oh MK! Thank you!
Now if only I could eat sugar.... :annoyed:

sjl330 11-02-2013 09:04 PM

I like that PB cookie recipe too. I'd try it with splenda and see how it works. Or erythritol? They are very good!

TuscanGirl 11-02-2013 09:06 PM

Yep - what she said! Splenda would work for sure!

JMCM1 11-02-2013 09:06 PM

Oh if you think that would work I can't wait!! Thank you both!!