Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Wowee Sharon!
Good check-in!!

I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of nights ago and saw the last two episodes of season 2 Downton Abbey. They said they'd re-run all of season 3 in December then..... January is season 4!!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Ok, first cereal review and it's for this recipe that Carolyn shared. I don't know who original recipe is from? DH really liked this one. Hopefully he'll try the hot one soon. Here's the recipe:

Microwave Dry Cereal - Cereal Lovers?
MICROWAVE DRY CEREAL
Here is an idea for those who were used to eating cereal every morning for breakfast in their higher carb days of yester year.

2 tbsp sliced almonds
2 tbsp ground almonds
2 tbsp organic golden flax meal
1 tbsp vanilla whey protein
Pinch No Salt
Pepper sprinkle
2 tbsp water

In small cereal bowl, combine sliced almonds, ground almonds, flax meal, vanilla whey protein, salt and pepper. Stir in water. Spray dinner plate with nonstick cooking spray. Spread mixture out in large circle on plate. Microwave 3 minutes on high (maybe this could go longer for a crispier result? I have not tested it more than twice – both times at 3 min.). Break into irregular, small pieces. Serve with low carb milk (See Carolyn’s low-carb milk on LCF’s) or alternative and Splenda Granular to taste. Add a few frozen blueberries, if desired, or chopped pecans or whatever. It’s an easy recipe to play with.

Note: This recipe will probably be a bit “weird” for many people’s tastes and I was a bit reticent to post it for that reason. However, for those who don’t mind weird, this has good fiber and is a healthy brekkie for a change of pace. My low-carb granola recipes would probably be nicer, but this is so quick and convenient. One doesn’t always have granola on hand. Golden flax meal has a better flavor than the other kind in my opinion.

Yield: 1 serving, 214.o calories; 12.0 g protein; 16.6 g fat, 2.1 g carbs

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Howdy ladies!
Just spent last two hours trying to reset password after putting it in wrong too many times, senior moments!
I can't believe the holidays are upon us. I was in TJMAXX max the other day, lots of pretty things. Fun to look at but not tempted to buy.
Last night was dinner club but I ended up coming home early, got sick on something I ate. Timmy's get sensitive as we get older.

Had our first freeze Tuesday night but warming back up quickly. I know some are already getting snow.

Another week flies by...
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #124

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies

That cereal is Jennifer's recipe. Sometimes I make a big batch in the oven. It is like granola.

Nice to see everyone. Buffy, I have my password in a file in my hotmail. it is easy to forget.

Another LC dr in town. She put my friend Gloria on our plan.

Hugs to everyone!!!!
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #125

Carolyn, how do you store your cereal? Mine was crispy when it was done but after storing I think it got soft. I'd prefer it to stay crispy.

Wow, I'm so jealous!! Two LC doctors in your town???? That's wonderful; now I wish they'd recruit many more and spread them around. Slowly but surely the word is getting out but it really is slow.

Buffy, sorry you got sick when you were supposed to be having fun. But I agree, our tummys aren't as tough as they used to be, lol.
I have an app that manages all my passwords so all I have to remember is one! And I can print out the list and store it safely in case I need them for another device. I've used it for a couple of years now and really like it. It's called KeePass if you want to check it out.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #126

I tried the hot cereal recipe from Sharon this morning. I LOVE it!!!! I only made 1/2 a serving to eat and I think that's plenty for me, but I definitely keep this one around, especially for the winter!
Here's the recipe again for anybody who would like it:

Instant Cinnamon Oatmeal

1/2+2 Tbs chia seeds
1/2+2 Tbs golden flax meal
1/2+2 Tbs finely shredded coconut
1Tbs+1/4 teas. ground cinnamon

Keep this mixture in your refrigerator.

For one serving:
1/2 cup hot water
2 Tbs unsweetened coconut milk
sweetener to taste.

Scoop out 1/2 cup of mixture and pour hot water over. Let sit 3 -5 minutes. Add swerve and 2 Tbs of cream. Stir to combine. Top with fresh blueberries or toasted coconut.

This is very versatile. I just do equal parts of each ingredient and keep in my fridge in a ziplock bag. When I want some I place a half cup of the mixture and add the hot water. Then when it's thick enough I pour a small amount of cream and sometimes add dried cranberries. This has been my favorite breakfast so far.

Thanks Sharon!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
You're sure welcome Sandy. I got that from Low Carb One Day At A Time on my Facebook page. She has a lot of great recipes.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #128

Guess what I have? All those ingredients for the hot cereal.. I think I will back off on the
coconut a bit, but it should be fine.

Nice day today..

Made some cauliflower cheesy soup for tonight..

Hugs all around.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love the cereal experiments!

Buffy so sorry you got sick on something. I assume you're fine now?

DD and I cleared out her office today.
My niece came to stay with my mom, so 6-week-old baby boy, DD and I had the outing.
He slept through the whole thing, then slept through lunch.
When he finally woke up, we gave him a bottle, changed his diaper, and he cooed and smiled at us for awhile.

That kid is a spoiler - she'll have 5 more before we know it! HA HA!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #130

Hi everyone..

Sleeping babies are the best.. He must have read the manual on how babies should behave..LOL

Breakfast out with Scarlett this morning while dh volunteers at the church.

My kids came home from a week in NYC..Dd has to find a restaurant for Thanksgiving for all of us..

I'm cooking last year's turkey today for the college group at church tomorrow..I do think he is thawed out and it should make the house smell good while I am watching KSU football..

My dear older friend Gloria (75) started Low Carb via her doctor. She was befuddled what to order at lunch yesterday even though we have eaten lunch out together many, many times. So, when it is "you", it is an whole new thing. I think she will do great.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Do you Thanksgiving where DD & her DH live?
Or are you Thanksgiving-ing in NYC?

Love the smell of turkey cooking - I haven't had it in the house for years as DH smokes ours. I love that, too...

Your friend Gloria is so so so lucky to have you for a friend!! Was she able to take suggestions from you? Sometimes when I am still corn-fused, I have to try to sort out my own things, despite the answer being right in front of me.... I hope Gloria is smarter than me.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
I am so surprised November is more than half gone. What is happening!! I am missing enough "down time" with work and all. Crazy! Have made NO plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas, other than we are going to see family and then at Christmas our DDx2 (and SIL) will be here. Lots happening with end of semester teaching responsibilities, and I just agreed to also teach the critical care class starting in January; so needing to learn in the classroom and testing technologies. Lots of support and I like what I am teaching in the hospital and in class, but gotta find time to get this weight off too!!

My Mom called yesterday that she is scheduled for a heartcath in a couple weeks, I am so glad. She sounded upbeat, hopeful, thankful and is just ready to start feeling better. Thank you for your prayers and support! It has been such a long process and I don't understand why her doc took so long to come to do a nuclear cardiac scan and read that she has some ischemia....he didn't want to personally do much about it (he says because of her age, 80, that is really not too old) but agreed to share the info with her 2nd opinion doc who will do the heartcath procedure (bigger city, bigger hospital, more resources). Praying that her heart can be fixed with just stenting, but she is willing to go for coronary artery bypass if needed. I will just have to get back to work early the next week. Please continue to pray! Thank you so very much, my dear friends! So THANKFUL for you!!

Still cheering for our Mizzou team (DD#1 alma mater)! And, KSU (DD #2 alma mater)!

Last edited by Fit2010; 11-16-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #133

Good morning

Nice to see Debbie!!! Glad your mom is going to have that procedure!!

Kids are home from NYC so we will go to KCity for Tday. Maybe Lidias??

Sharon , loved the cereal. I just added a Tbs or so from each bag. Good and easy.

KSU was a nail biter. We are going up to the OU game
Next week. It will be in the 40's. I have my long down coat to take.

I think Gloria is going to keep it simple. Her dr even said that carbs and sugar cause cholesterol problems. Shocker.

Our MKay is home from Rome. I'm sure they had a great time.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #134

That's great news Debbie!! I bet your mom is so excited to hopefully, finally feel good again. And you're right, 80 is not the age it used to be. My dad is 83 and he's in great shape and survived a double operation last year in December for colon cancer. It was scary for a few days after b/c of bleeding, hence the 2nd surgery, but he's back to his old spry self now. And IMHO, if a patient chooses to accept a treatment and is told about the risks, then they should be able to make that decision for themselves. Anyway, I'm happy for her.

Carolyn, do you spend the night when you come up for T-giving? Do you go to the Plaza lighting? I'm sure you'll have a lovely dinner wherever you go. My DD is having 22 adults and 5 children this year!! Of course, I'll go help on Wed. and early Thursday morning too. It should be fun!! If we survive, lol.

I couldn't sleep last night! Grrr. I've been up since 3:30 and was awake a few times before that. I'll be dragging tonight and I really need to watch the Chiefs kick the Bronco's butts!! Please let that be true!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so glad to see you enjoying that quick and easy hot cereal Carolyn and Sandy. I made some almond bread yesterday and really like how that turned out. I did forget one ingredient (1/2 cup of coconut milk. Saw it too late when it was already in the oven. Ha. The taste is really nice and will be making it again with the coconut milk added…Ha.

If anyone wants to try it too just let me know.

Debbie I'm so glad your Mother is getting her needs met now. She will be so glad to feel like herself again after recovery from the procedures.

We're having Thanksgiving with Dh's side of the family this year. It's always fun with all their dogs and grown kids with there kids there. We have a turkey in the freezer that we just might smoke now that you mentioned it Judy. I'm going to have to get the pamphlet out and see what you need to do for that.

Have a nice rest of your weekend.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon

Last edited by Shalbrihil; 11-17-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sharon, I've got to try that cereal now that it's gotten such rave reviews!
I brine my bird for 24 hours prior to cooking. I use Alton Brown's recipe which I'll post if you want. It's definitely got some brown sugar in it, but for that amount I can't imagine it matters more than a whit. Brining makes the turkey so very moist and flavorful for us. I also don't follow Alton Brown's recipe to the T - I don't have allspice berries or something he uses and I confess I just sprinkle a little powder of whatever berry he uses. It's never failed me!

Oh Debbie - prayers will definitely continue! Such a hopeful step in the right direction!!

Another confession: I have never seen the Christmas lights at the Plaza.
Someday...
Carolyn keep warm at that game and good luck! (and please wish me the same when OSU plays OU!)

Sandy I must have been thinking of you when I was awake at the same time...
Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Debbie that's great that your Mom is going to get proper treatment. I'm so happy to hear you were able to get help for her!
We're here with DH's family & my MIL. She is quite full of grace & love. Ready to go home... sad but sweet. What a way to go... finishing well.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Debby - thinking about all of you and holding all of you in our prayers.

Wishing all of you peace and comfort.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #139

Hi gals..

Don't know yet if we are spending the night at dd's..Sometimes we go up and go back the same day..I have seen the lights twice..The best view was when Shawn's office was in the Black building..pretty..pretty..

Sandy: Too much caffeine during the day? Or do you get too hot and need a Chillow?
My friend got one like mine and loves it...loves it..

Dh liked the cereal this morning, too..

Yes, Debby, praying for a smooth passing for your sweet MIL..
Old 11-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #140

No, not too much caffeine. I think our room was hot because it was 65 degrees when I got up so it was almost 72 in the house and we usually sleep at about 66-67 degrees!! Didn't bother DH though and he even had his blankie turned on! I'm hot, he's cold! Story of my life. I sit around in shorts and tank tops most of the winter b/c he has the fire going so strong. The kids all laugh at us. We are the oldsters that they like to make fun of now. Great! Lol.

We'll have one smoked turkey and then our old stand-by 2 hour turkey. Love that!!

Debby, I'm glad you guys made it to your MIL's before the end. I'm sure that gives her a lot of peace. I know it would me. And I know my mom held on until my sister finally made it up before she finally gave in and left us. I'm so glad your MIL is ready. I think that makes it so much easier on her and the family. Prayers are with all of you and yours.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I think that makes it so much easier on her and the family. Prayers are with all of you and yours.
Wise words - glad you said them so I can remember them.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you ladies for the prayers and encouragement! So kind of you to keep us in mind, prayers.

We are about to watch the Chiefs game/while also watching The Walking Dead.

After Christmas DH and I are going to go to Plaza lights, we saw years ago too. DD lives in KS City, MO and will be here for Christmas, then we'll go up to have her show us around a little, again...FUN!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debbie: The Walking Dead, The Talking Dead... darnit I am hooked.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Me too, Judy! I watch the Walking Dead, the Talking Dead, and then the Walking Dead again to see what I missed the first time. So hooked in!! When DH started watching it in the beginning of the series I thought it was rediculous....but after second season I was hooked! (And had to watch the old episodes to get caught up!)
Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #145

Hi gals..

No Dead shows for me..Too scary..Loving The Paradise and another English detective show tonight on PBS..Will dvr it, I think.

I hate a hot room..My Chillow keeps me cool at night...They "say" the perfect temp for sleeping is 66..

Two-hour turkey????

Going to make my chia cereal now.. The best part is the cream you add after it is made..
Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #146

Yep, 2 hours!! I found this method here years ago and we've been using it ever since. Love it! Moist and beautiful bird with rave reviews from all who've tried it. Sounds unbelievable but it really works. If you use a larger bird you just add on a few minutes instead of hours. I remember my mom getting up at 3 or 4 in the a.m. to put the turkey in the oven and we wouldn't eat until 2 or 3. It was falling off the bone and it wasn't pretty and the white meat was always dry. With this method, even the white meat is moist and juicy!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...nyone-try.html
Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn is it your birthday today? If it is I'm wishing you the very best day ever.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #148

Happy birthday Carolyn!! I hope you have something fun planned today to celebrate.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #149
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Debbie: The Walking Dead, The Talking Dead... darnit I am hooked.
Oh we are big fans!! We haven't watched last nights episode but will tonight.

Just got back yesterday from a dive trip to Exuma, Bahamas. One day of rough seas and I thought I might get nauseated but strapped on a Scopalamine patch and all was well. We (6 of us) missed our connecting flight and had to overnight in Atlanta. Good to be home!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #150

Yes, this is number 64!! One more year until Medicare..LOL..

Oh, Cindy..I used the scopalamine cream..Glad you had fun, fun, fun.

My friend took me out to the local salad bar and dh and ds will take me out
to dinner tonight..I'll buy my own present..

Brett has a turkey in the freezer from last year..We will try that method for sure..Thanks...