Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
OUR WEIGHT IS FALLING OFF SEPT. CHALLENGE

Here it is. See you in the am.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Thanks Carolyn
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Did pretty well today....except for a handful of almonds....that is what I get for waiting til almost 8:30pm to eat dinner!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah!! Yep, easy to grab for almonds when you get over-hungry!
Congrats on getting on track today!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #5

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I'm up this month, 1.8. Too much vacationing and celebrating this month. I plan on getting that 1.8 and more off this month as I get back to a normal routine and start working out regularly.

Thanks Carolyn for starting us up for Sept.

Deb, we have a hectic rest of the weekend ahead of us, so please mention the idea about meeting up Sat afternoon again later in the week, after this weekend is over, and maybe we can make arrangements. Is that when you're going to be at JCCC?

It's starting to sprinkle here, grrrr. Now I don't know whether to chance going down to the outdoor Irish mass or just go to church here and go down to the fest later. Ugh! I love that Irish mass!!! But I sure don't want to get soaked first thing.

Have a great day!!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Sandy, it must be the water here! I'm up too! Want to lose 9 pounds by Sept 28 as I am scuba diving in Cozumel and it is an all-inclusive.

Deb, I work in a level 2 trauma center with a busy OB department. I am in KC. How about you? We have a bowl of almonds on the counter too that I have to stay out of!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning
Thanks Carolyn for starting our sept thread
My weight is on downward trend again!
When I am doing LC I eat nuts but the way I cured myself from eating them at parties, bars, work, etc is to just think of all the people who have dipped their hand into that bowl of nuts! Very unsanitary. Doesn't help at home though.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Good morning everyone.

Scale said 278 this morning. I'm still going down! Woo Hoo!

Fit I get my Swerve from there site. It;s the only place I've found it so far. I'll need to check on the states.

Still hot here. Ice tea all made and in the fridge for drinking with ice today. Have a good one.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fit that OMM is 3.5 carbs. As Carolyn says, I is very filling with my hard boiled egg on the side. Hope you like it.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #10

Hi ladies..

Well, keeping it honest, I was 145 this morning, so a one pound gain but still working on my vacation weight..

Yes, I don't like waiting for dinner..I tend to snack, too..Then I am not hungry, but eat anyway.

Sprinkles here, too...

Yeah to our losers..MKay, Sharon, and Buffy..and anyone else that I missed..

I am going to hit it hard this month to get nearer my 140 bottom level..We are going away toward the end of Sept to our friends in St. Louis, so that can be a "goal date" for me..

Hugs all around..

Old 09-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Hi friends!

I have no idea what I weigh and hope to not know for several days.
After more than a year, I will admit I've had more than 1 hand-full of whatever kettle potato chips DD due Oct. 1 brought...

I already forgive myself! LOL

Yay for all you losers and I will commiserate in advance with the people who
"up" a couple of pounds.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Since today was day TWO for me I didn't weigh. Guess I should have. I hate what it will show. I'm embarrassed to write it, and MAD! But, I have been doing pretty well today and will weigh tomorrow.

Sandy - Yes, if it works out for you I could meet you somewhere. I think our conference is over at noon. I'm pretty good with directions and mapquest, but I do not know how to use my phone GPS. Youngest DD is talking about doing "First Friday's." The evening before...I'm looking forward to that!

Cindy - I worked in ED for over 25 years; 12 1/2 in nearby Level I Trauma Center. Also strong background in cardiac. Only OB I did was ED related, in back in the distant past had a few surprises helping someone in the car when they drove up to ED! You know!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Sharon - Thank you for the carb count on OMM. Sounds so good! I might want to wait to start making those....for me I think I need to be lower fat initially to lose. MWL has ketosis as part of their plan, high protein/good fats/low carb. Does anyone else check ketones?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

Deb -
Quote:
.but we all agreed that Mizzou had best set up/opportunity for broadcast journalism
Definitely one of the best schools for that! I have several friends who used to be or are still news anchors that came out of that program!!

Same weight this morning, so start me out at 118.6.
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Labor Day! Hope y'all are having fun with your families!
I get another day off at home LOVE those!
DH is trying to get a project finished, so he's working today. We're taking a quick trip down south at the end of the week, so he's got to get it done.

I'll probably work on getting ready for that & a few other projects... like my hair color
Be blessed!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have a lovely Labor Day! I can smell the bar-bq's start up for the good eating fun.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #17

Hi everyone.

Debbie: I started where you started and you can do it.. In fact, the weight comes off faster at first if you stay on plan..(experience talking here).

And...we need a Sandy/Debbie picture if there is a meetup.. How fun for you both. My dd loves First Fridays, too..KCity is a fun place to live for young folks..

Well, I tried to make carrot chips like the Amish do..I baked..nope, I fried, nope..Not crispy..at all..I guess I will just have to order them or maybe one of the cooks can give some advice.

Ds is coming for steak tonight. I will roast some brussels sprouts..He loves those and I got 2 "good" steaks from WalMart..

I was 144 this morning..Yesterday I had a big lunch after church and only nibbled for dinner..
Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Morning!
Happy Labor Day!

The thread title is really working!
117.2 this morning!
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Has anyone seen MK lately? She is getting so tiny we keep losing her

Debbie, I did NK last fall and from the first of Sept to the first of January I lost 30 lbs. I did get a monitor and test for ketones. Really zaps your appetite once you get and stay in ketosis. I at moderate protein, carbs below 30, usually more around 20 and really high fat. The fat really fills you up. Memory isn't so good and too lazy to go back to check but I think I lost more than 10 lbs the first month, the 2nd month had me worried, not much movement on the scale and then it kicked in and it seemed like I lost effortlessly. On the down side, it gets very boring, it seemed like I just ate meat, fat and a few veggies and some treats I got from this board. Like the OMM. Everything is pretty good with Kerrygold butter on it.

What happened you are wondering? I got very sick in January, ended up in emergency 2 times, nothing to do with the diet, my numbers were all doing great. 3 medical problems seemed to collide at once and my BP went CRAZY. I felt very ill and was really feeling low that after all my hard work, here I was in the hospital. I am type 2 diabetic and during first hospital stay I stuck to my guns. On the 2nd visit, I was really feeling bad and when they brought my "diabetic" meal to me it had a BEAUTIFUL white yeast roll sitting there, begging me to eat it. Mashed potatoes and gravy, some kind of meat and veggie and Orange sherbet for dessert! I fell face first into that tray and never looked back. Bread was the one thing I had really missed and could never find a replacement for on LC. I got out of the hospital and for the next 5 months I ate all the carbs I wanted which included lots of very good bread. By July I had gained all of the 30 lbs back. I made several attempts to get back on the wagon but fell off, then finally a couple of weeks ago I tried again and so far so good. I am finding I can't go super LC right now b/c of all the medications I am taking and the diabetes, I have to have some carbs each day but it is working and helping. I think I have lost 7 lbs these 2 weeks, a lot of it from water retention, when I eat carbs I puff up like a puff fish.
Still dealing with some of the medical problems so not sure where this fall will take me but in answer to your question, have any of us done ketosis, YES! It works.

Lazy day here for us. Got an inch of very welcome rain. The worst of summer in TX will soon be over.

Someone was wanting movie recs, The Butler was very good, Jobs was quite good and I just saw one that came out earlier this year, Now you see me, now you don't, that was really good. that one at the bargain movies.

This girl can talk
Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, I have a favor since you are much more organized than I am. I haven't found my folder of LC recipes yet that I used last fall and I can't remember what all we put in that little chocolate cake that we were making all the time. I NEED it!
I made fat bombs for the girls and I the other day and had about 1 cup left over after filling the molds. My recipe calls for butter, CO, almond butter, cocoa and stevia/splenda. I came back after finding room in my freezer, on a flat area, to put all 3 molds and I noticed the mixture left in the bowl was thickening a little. So, I poured it into a little Ziploc bowl and when I checked it later, it is like frosting! So, I need a little cake to put a little frosting on
DD#3 sent me a text last night thanking me for the fat bombs, said they literally "saved" her last night
Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Anything for you Buffy!
However I can't recall having an actual recipe for a little chocolate cake. HA HA

I use a heaping 1/4 cup of the BTF mix, add 1 Tbsp. melted butter (can be omitted) anything between 1 & 2 Tbsp. special dark cocoa, sweetener to taste (I think I use at least 2 envelopes of the generic Truvia), a capful or two of DaVinci vanilla SF syrup, maybe a glug of HWC if you have the calories to spare.... I think that's all. Mine cooks only for 1 minute but I remember others microwaving longer.
Your "icing" sounds delicious!!

Debby enjoy your extra time at home!

Carolyn you are definitely in a sweet spot with your weight. I am still at the lake regretting eating nearly an entire can of cashews. And a few kettle chips.
I'll get right back on the wagon tomorrow. Beautiful day today.

Buffy, I have two awesome biscuit/roll recipes I'll share if I haven't recently. Judy Baker Barnes or Judy Barnes Baker - sorry I can't remember which- she writes the Carb Wars Blog used Jen Eloff's Bake Mix mixed with 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt for delightful little biscuits. REALLY good. And then Jen Eloff used a variation of her bake mix with mozzarella cheese to make a dozen BIG yummy biscuits. I do not add the garlic and other spices and they are so darn good. I made them here at the lake and they were very popular.

As fall approaches, remember the coconut flour pancakes are delicious by themselves, but I brought some here with pumpkin and all the spices added - fantastic.

We can have nearly everything except delicious yeast bread. Maybe it's worth it to plan some kind of cheat for that if it's always calling your name. I've kind of lost interest.

I also made and brought those cheese rounds (made in a muffin top pan) as little personal pizzas. They were a big hit topped a little pizza sauce and with some Italian sausage & more cheeses.

DD33 due Oct. 1 enjoyed all the food this weekend and didn't feel like she overdid, either!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Mary Kay? I can hear you but can't see you!

Honestly I am happy for you - particularly if you feel well, friend!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #23

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I received some very sad news yesterday. One of my dear friends' daughter took her own life this weekend. She left behind 2 children. My heart is broken for my friend and her whole family. Please add them to your prayers.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Sandy,how sad. Those poor kids

Judy,would love the biscuit and pancake recipes or direct me to them. Those sound so good and I never tried them last fall.

My cheat meal each week has involved movies and popcorn
Old 09-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Judy It was good. I caught up ALL my books now... started packing & did lots of exercise...

Oh Sandy, that is the most tragic news.
Praying for your friend & her family. So, so hard. I pray the Lord be their comfort & strength.

Buffy its good to hear the recap of your journey again. I think its so good to go back & remember "where & why" things went the way they did. You are doing so well getting back on track again with all the health challenges you've had to overcome.

Deb that goes for you too! One step at a time & you're going to be so motivated!

My pup, Molly has another digestive upset... it coincides with the cows being back again... so I think its pretty clear, she over-does the cow-dung... Today's been tough because we're home & I have to keep her from indulging again... poor baby tied up outside the last hour... She wanted out so bad & can't be trusted... So anyway, I expect she'll start eating again tomorrow if not tonight.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Sandy, oh no! I am so sorry for your friend and her family...
So sorry and will absolutely pray for them.

Hugs to you as well. This is surely heavy on your heart.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Poor Molly! But you are right - she cannot be trusted!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy half this recipe if you want to shorten your time flipping cakes, and forgive me - I never remember how much spice I add. You are a good cook - adjust as you see fit!

Coconut Flour Pumpkin Pancakes
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 pinches salt
4 caps-full vanilla DaVinci SF vanilla syrup +/-
4 to 6 or so drops EZ Sweetz
about half a can of pumpkin (not pie filling)
4 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp. clove
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

mix and make delicious pumpkin pancakes!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

These are VERY good and super easy:

GLUTEN-FREE, LOW-CARB YOGURT BISCUITS

1˝ cups Jennifer's Gluten-Free Bake Mix™ (see below for bake mix recipe), plus a little extra for shaping the biscuits

2 tsp baking powder

Sugar substitute equal to 2 tsp sugar, such as liquid sucralose or stevia

1 tsp salt

1 cup plus 1 to 2 tbsp whole-milk Greek yogurt (I used Greek Gods Traditional Plain Yogurt.) (Judy used Fage Traditional Greek Yogurt - full fat)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly grease the paper.

Whisk the bake mix, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Add the yogurt, reserving a little until you see if it is needed. Add sweetener and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until a sticky dough forms. Add remaining yogurt if dough is too dry.
Sprinkle your work surface with a little more bake mix. Dip your fingers into the bake mix and divide the dough into 10 to 12 portions. Shape each into a ball and roll to lightly coat with bake mix. Flatten the balls to about 1-inch thick.

Place the biscuits close together on the prepared pan. Place on middle rack of preheated oven. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan. Serve hot with butter or use as a base for chicken-a-la-king, as a topping for pot pies or cobblers, with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, or to make ham or bacon and cheese sandwiches.

Makes 10 to 12 biscuits.
Per each of 12:
Cal: 120; Pro: 4.8g; Fat: 8.1g; Carb: 6.7g; Fiber: 2.3g; Net Carb: 4.4g*

*Nutrition data excludes some of the sugar in the yogurt which has been eaten by the live cultures.

TIP: If the bottoms of your biscuits brown before the tops, use convection mode if your oven has that option, or put an extra sheet pan on the bottom rack underneath them to shield them from bottom heat.

JENNIFER'S GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX™
Used with permission.

1 2/3 cups almond flour, (400 mL; 182 g)

3/4 cup certified GF oat flour (175 mL; 100 g)

2 tbsp sifted coconut flour (30mL) (Bob's Red Mill®, not Legacy Valley®)

3/4 tsp xanthan gum (3 mL)

In a large bowl, combine almond flour, oat flour, coconut flour, and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. When measuring oat flour (but not other ingredients) into measuring cup, tap the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct amount.) Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

Makes 2 1/2 cups (625 mL).
Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

I did not use the spices either of the times I made these and we just love them even days later. But right out of the oven - Katy bar the door! Very very good and nice and big!! She may have forgotten to add the gelatin, but I have added it both times I've made these.
~~~~~~~~~

MOZZARELLA CHEESE BISCUITS Jeniffer Eloff
These are super! You will feel like you’re cheating! My husband could not stop raving about these. Within 24 hours all the biscuits were eaten between the two of us! I also made Chicken A La King and served it on these biscuits as well as Sausage Gravy. I'll share those recipes shortly. I was very happy with these delicious biscuits. If you prefer a Red Lobster®-Style biscuit, then use Cheddar cheese. Even the savory biscuits are great with my Healthy Butter and sugarless jam.

Here is the surprise. I forgot to add the gelatin in the recipe considering I used the Gluten-Free Bake Mix without xanthan gum. There was no crumbly outcome (my guess is there are enough eggs in the recipe). I need to test a little more, but I'm beginning to think my bake mix needs neither xanthan gum nor gelatin in most recipes! Interesting concept which I will explore further!

2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2, (500 mL)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder (12 mL)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (2 mL)
1/4 tsp dried basil (1 mL)
1/4 tsp dried parsley (1 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella, OR (375 mL) cheddar cheese
3 eggs, fork beaten
1/2 cup whipping cream (125 mL)
2 tbsp olive oil (30 mL)

In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2, page___, baking powder, garlic powder, basil, parsley and salt. Stir in Mozzarella, OR Cheddar cheese. In small bowl, combine eggs, whipping cream and olive oil. Stir into dry ingredients until moistened and well combined.

Drop batter by approximately 3 tablespoonful (45 mL) mounds onto greased cookie sheet, spaced about 1 inches (2.5 cm) apart to allow for spreading. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and completely brown and crispy underneath. Serve warm with butter.
Variation: Plain Cheese Biscuits: Use 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar substitute and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract. Omit garlic powder, basil and dried parsley. These scone-like biscuits may be served with butter and sugarless jam. They make a great breakfast for a change of pace or I enjoy them at teatime. (2.9 g carbs)

Plain Cheese Scones: Use only 2 tbsp (30 mL) whipping cream. Yield: 11 scones. (4.8 g carbs)

Red Lobster® Biscuits: Use Cheddar cheese instead and be pleasantly surprised! Garlic Butter: In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder or granulated garlic (slightly more coarse). Brush over tops of baked, hot biscuits and serve immediately. (4.1 g carbs)

Yield: 12 biscuits
1 biscuit
96.3 calories
2.3 g protein
8.3 g fat
3.1 g net carbs

~~~~~~~
Splended Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2
YHield: 2-1/2 cups
1/4 cup per serving: 125 calories, 4.5 g protein, 8.9 g fat, 5.7 g net carbs

1 2/3 cups almond meal, OR almond flour (Jen uses almond meal - yield is greater with almong flour by up to 1/2 cup more, so then the carbs would be 4.8 g.)
3/4 cup certified GF oat flour
2 Tbsp. coconut flour

In a large bowl, combine almond meal OR almond flour, oat flour and coconut flour. In container with an airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. When measuring oat flour (not necessary with the other ingredients) into measuring cup, make sure to tape the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct yield for the bake mix. Keep bake mix at room temp for up to 1 month or freeze for much longer storage.
HOW TO ADD GELATINE TO THIS MIX
Add 1 tsp for every cup of bake mix. For example if you have 2-1/4 cups bake mix in your recipe, use 1 tsp. plus 1 tsp. plus 1/4 tsp = 2 1/4 tsp. gelatin. Simple!