Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
I find that slow baking at 250 is great for eggplant too. I do a bunch up and use them like chips. So good with Guac. I only do the turkey bacon so that isn't need on slow bake. I sure like that way for other things such as brisket.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #212
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Bacon is another food i'm supposed to take off my list . . . just shoot me now!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #213
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Sharon, I'd like to know more about the eggplant?? How thin, how long, do you stack racks of them? Do they lose that veggie flavor when they're crisp like chips? Do you season them? Can you tell I'm interested, lol.

MK, sorry for the rainy day. Hopefully it won't last. Do you know if there is any science behind eating carbs for IBS? That would be so scary to upend your whole diet like that from the way you've become accustomed to eating. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #214
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

Sandy - everything I read says that carbs (sourdough bread, potatoes, etc) coat and calm your stomach ~ I guess that's why you crave them when you're sick.

I also can't eat large quantities of food at a time - 6 meals a day are better than 3 - and I've gone a whole vacation week without a sip of alcohol (life is definitely not fair!!)

But, I've been feeling better . . . so I'll weigh when I get back and see what damage I've done.

I weighed 121.2 I think (possibly 122.1) when I left so . . . .

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandy all I do is put a cookie cooling rack over the original rack and place lightly salted evoo sprayed rounds about a 1/4" think in one layer on the rack. They lightly brown on each side at once so there is no turning. Keep a close eye on them as they will brown fast if too thin. They look like they have been dehydrated when done. I check about every 15 mins. and take them out as soon as I see them browning.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #216

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi kiddos..

MKay:Can I suggest that you need to read Wheat Belly, if you haven't done that or listen to one of Dr. Davis' podcasts at Jimmy's site. Wheat problems start out small, then they get worse and worse as we continue to eat them until they get to arthritis/IBS, etc. which manifests itself in not very pleasant symptoms..It is a progressive thing. Dr. Davis said for arthritis patients it might take 2 years of wheat-freeing before you see the results..But some peeps see it right away. I don't know about for IBS people, though..We sometimes crave the things we shouldn't have..Diabetics crave sweets..LCers crave carbs..Best of luck to you on this journey of "foods"..

Sharon: Oh..that eggplant sounds great..

Brett has a college friend visiting this weekend..He is getting his PhD from VA..In fact, he is Rachel's (Brett's ex-gf's) cousin..They are yard saleing and then going to the farm to shoot cans..gosh, too bad Mary Kay is on vacation.

I've been fooling around with B-12 and the LC doctor sold me a brand from Puritan's Pride of fast acting B-12, 2500mg, with folic acid, b-6, and Biotin. Honestly, it immediately perks me up..

Nothing exciting here..Dh is helping the old people with their house stuff...Church stuff..

I am at 143..Thank the good Lord. And, I started using Cinnamon..500 at each meal.
Sandy, does your dh use that? My bs was 88 this morning, so I am hoping this is what is working for me.

Hugs all around..

Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #217
Princess Proofreader

Hi Carolyn!
Yep,I've read Wheat Belly and I totally agree with it - but unfortunately my body doesn't.
I don't crave carbs, I just get diarrhea when i don't eat them first. There's a whole website like LCF written by Heather somebody about IBS and trigger foods etc.

It makes no sense to my EFGT mind, but my gut seems to appreciate the effort, so I'm giving it a try.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Oh MK - what an interesting new journey.
I am sure with time you'll be able to sort it all out - but you're right - it's not fair on vacation!!

Sandy I have never cooked bacon low and slow, but I can see I'll have to try it now.
I'll have to leave the house though, because that smell.... is intoxicating....

Sharon now I'm going to need to try the eggplant chips! Thanks!

Carolyn - does a person's body become accustomed (can't think of the right word) to Metformin? Can Metformin lose its effectiveness?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #219

Oh, Mary Kay..So sorry..After my mom had her gallbladder out, she had the "dumping syndrome" (not good). It was when she had coffee at lunch. Our bodies are funny, but this is not very funny.

I think our bodies constantly change and meds have to be adjusted. Like thyroid meds..etc..I think the Met is working fine, but it might have needed some cinnamon to help it along..My LC doctor takes it, too..She recommended for me, but I didn't do it regularly until I read an article in one of those health mags..
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #220
Princess Proofreader

Carolyn - coffee is one of those "trigger" foods along with:
Red meat (ground beef, hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, roast beef, pastrami, salami, bologna, pepperoni, corned beef, ham, bacon, sausage, pork chops, and anything else that comes from cows, pigs, sheep, goats, deer, etc. )

Poultry dark meat and skin (skinless white meat is fine, as is seafood by the way – try to buy organic turkey and chicken)

Dairy products[1] (cheese, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, cream, half-and half, ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt, frozen yogurt). Dairy is an Irritable Bowel Syndrome trigger even if you're not lactose intolerant. It's simply not just the lactose. It's also not just the high fat content of most dairy products that can cause your IBS to flare. Even skim and lactose-free dairy can trigger IBS attacks. In addition to fat and lactose, dairy contains components such as the proteins whey and casein, which can cause severe digestion problems. Though yogurt is traditionally recommended as an "easily digestible" dairy product because fermentation has reduced the lactose levels, even non-fat versions contain whey and casein, and should be avoided.

Egg yolks (whites are fine, do try to buy organic)

French fries
Onion rings
Fried chicken
Corn dogs
Anything battered and deep-fried
Anything skillet-fried in fat of any kind
Shortening
Margarine
All oils, fats, spreads, etc.
Mayonnaise
Salad dressings
Tartar sauce
Cool Whip
Coconut milk
Shredded coconut
Solid chocolate (baking cocoa powder is fine)
Solid carob (carob powder is fine)
Olives
Nuts and nut butters
Croissants, pastries, biscuits, scones, and doughnuts
Pie crust
Potato chips (unless they're baked)
Corn chips and nachos (unless they're baked)
Store-bought dried bananas (they're almost always deep fried)
Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #221
Princess Proofreader

And then just in case you think you're safe, also add:

Warning! GI Irritants are also IBS Trigger Foods
These foods and beverages offer no IBS benefits but plenty of IBS risks. Avoid them.

Coffee ~ both regular AND decaf contain an enzyme that's an extremely powerful GI tract irritant. Go cold turkey today and drink herbal teas instead.

Caffeine is a GI stimulant and should be avoided, especially in higher doses.

Alcohol is a GI irritant and often triggers IBS attacks, especially on an empty stomach (though small amounts of alcohol used in cooking are fine).

Carbonation in soda pop and mineral water can cause bloating and cramps.

Artificial sweeteners, particularly sorbitol, can trigger IBS pain, cramps, gas, bloating, and diarrhea.

Artificial fats, namely Olestra, can cause abdominal cramping and diarrhea in people who don't even have IBS – imagine what it can do to you.

MSG has acquired lots of ugly anecdotal evidence against it regarding all sorts of digestive upsets. It can simply be avoided, so why take a chance?

Inulin and FOS are cheap manufacturing by-products used to add fiber to many processed foods. They ferment very rapidly in the gut and can cause extreme bloating and gas. Always check ingredients for these.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #222
Princess Proofreader

That being said - there's supposedly a lot I CAN eat, I just haven't figured out what that is yet . . . . It was a horrible time to go on vacation.
It's the last day, and i'm hiding in my room while they all eat pizza downstairs!

Judy - I want to go home and have a glass of wine and say to h*ll with it! But not until I endure two more days in the car . . .

*pity party*
Old 07-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #223
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
MK, I know what you mean about inulin. Gas galore!

Carolyn, yes I do like my B-12 also! Sandy, how do you like your Costco B-12?
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
So sorry Mary Kay! That is a really long list of "no-no's"
There's got to be a "go-ahead" list! Its so hard to figure out what to eat when things change. When I did that metabolism diet a couple months ago the stress from figuring out each day what to eat was harsh.

Sharon, those eggplant chips do sound good. Cook some for me?

The cows are back, grazing on our fields today. Molly had a "blast" trying to herd them away from us as we walked through them for our walk.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #225
Princess Proofreader

Since I'm boring y'all to death - here's a list of the "good" foods:

As a general rule, the grain and cereal foods at the top of this list make the safest, easiest, and most versatile soluble fiber foundations for your meals and snacks These are your IBS safe foods, and your IBS good foods.

Rice
Pasta and noodles
Oatmeal
Barley
Fresh white breads such as French or sourdough (NOT whole wheat or whole grain)*
Rice cereals
Flour tortillas
Soy
Quinoa
Corn meal
Potatoes
Carrots
Yams
Sweet potatoes
Turnips
Rutabagas
Parsnips
Beets
Squash and pumpkins
Mushrooms
Chestnuts
Avocados (though they do have some fat)
Bananas
Applesauce
Mangoes
Papayas (also digestive aids that relieve gas and indigestion)

Why is soluble fiber so special? Because unlike any other food category, it soothes and regulates the digestive tract, stabilizes the intestinal contractions resulting from the gastrocolic reflex, and normalizes bowel function from either extreme. That's right – soluble fiber prevents and relieves BOTH diarrhea and constipation. Nothing else in the world will do this for you.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yikes! No protein!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Since I'm boring y'all to death
Never!!

Quote:
- here's a list of the "good" foods:

As a general rule, the grain and cereal foods at the top of this list make the safest, easiest, and most versatile soluble fiber foundations for your meals and snacks These are your IBS safe foods, and your IBS good foods.

Rice
Pasta and noodles
Oatmeal
Barley
Fresh white breads such as French or sourdough (NOT whole wheat or whole grain)*
Rice cereals
Flour tortillas
Soy
Quinoa
Corn meal
Potatoes
Carrots
Yams
Sweet potatoes
Turnips
Rutabagas
Parsnips
Beets
Squash and pumpkins
Mushrooms
Chestnuts
Avocados (though they do have some fat)
Bananas
Applesauce
Mangoes
Papayas (also digestive aids that relieve gas and indigestion)

Why is soluble fiber so special? Because unlike any other food category, it soothes and regulates the digestive tract, stabilizes the intestinal contractions resulting from the gastrocolic reflex, and normalizes bowel function from either extreme. That's right – soluble fiber prevents and relieves BOTH diarrhea and constipation. Nothing else in the world will do this for you.

Oh my stars...
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #228

Hi ladies and Jim,

No, you are not boring us to death, MKay..I think it is very interesting. I have a good friend whose son has this very seriously..very seriously. He will go for a while and be "fine", then it flares up..Stress, etc..or something he eats. So you can't eat fat..It seems as though the "things" you can eat are easily digestible. And, I imagine that each person has her own "trigger" foods..So, you might be able to eat a few no-no things while someone else can't eat those things. Just a thought here..Have you considered a second opinion? You are so near St. Louis/Chicago that you could get some real experts in the field..

Rain, thank the Lord..Who is getting it? It seemed to rain all night long. Dh is happy because we have "corn" planted on the farm and wanted to have a decent crop or at least a few kernels here and there. This will help.

Have a great day everyone..I have to help with the kindergarteners in SS today..Piece of cake, except for this one hyperactive little boy..There is always one.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #229

We went to the lake yesterday and got rained out. But we didn't have one drop in our rain gauge here at home! Grrrr. It's cloudy and supposed to rain today. I'm sure hoping it does.

Sharon, so you don't put the rack on a cookie sheet? You just lay the rack on the oven rack? Does the eggplant drip at all? And what temp? And about how long? Thank you.

Cindy, I like the B12 fine, WHEN I can remember to take it. I try to take it mid to late afternoon, as that's usually my least energetic time of day, lol.

Those tabata routines are killing me!!! In a good way, I guess. I read where if you do just air squats and pushups for the routine that it works every muscle in your body. I'm here to tell you, I can attest to at least every muscle in your lower body. I made the mistake of doing this Friday morning and yesterday I could hardly walk! And you should have seen me trying to climb up the boat ladder after getting in the lake. It's a tiny bit better today, but I doubt I'll be doing those moves tomorrow morning! I'll have to ease back into that, for sure.

MK, what a bummer that you're having to deal with this, especially on vacation!! And in a car trip too!! I hope you get it under control soon. And I agree with Carolyn, maybe a 2nd opinion for something that is such a drastic change to your normal life? But you know your body better than we do, so I'm sure you'll do what's right for you.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Rain, thank the Lord..Who is getting it? It seemed to rain all night long.
It's been raining here since midnight - what a blessing!
The forecast for this coming week looks fantastic, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
We went to the lake yesterday and got rained out. But we didn't have one drop in our rain gauge here at home! Grrrr. It's cloudy and supposed to rain today. I'm sure hoping it does.

Sharon, so you don't put the rack on a cookie sheet? You just lay the rack on the oven rack? Does the eggplant drip at all? And what temp? And about how long? Thank you.

Those tabata routines are killing me!!! In a good way, I guess. I read where if you do just air squats and pushups for the routine that it works every muscle in your body. I'm here to tell you, I can attest to at least every muscle in your lower body. I made the mistake of doing this Friday morning and yesterday I could hardly walk! And you should have seen me trying to climb up the boat ladder after getting in the lake. It's a tiny bit better today, but I doubt I'll be doing those moves tomorrow morning! I'll have to ease back into that, for sure.
I hope you get rain! Such a novel thing in the middle of July.

Thanks for asking about the eggplant chips - I'm right there in making those as soon as we get the specifics.

I'm working again, so automatically feeling slothful and guilty about time spent sitting. However that tabata routine sounds... extreme.

Planning on going to the lake next weekend with my SS who has requested we take the slow burn DVD to try it together. Rain is even in the forecast for next weekend too!

Carolyn I hope that kid was an angel today!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sandy the actual oven rack is too large of space so I put a cookie cooling rack that I had on top of the oven rack. There was no drip. I suppose if you wanted to make sure you could lay a pan on the second oven rack down to catch. It's all experimental. I had my oven on 250 degrees. I started checking them at 15 mins. It depends on the thickness of the slice but mine were done in an hour. It depends on your oven
too. If you take them out too soon they are good but chewy. Oh yes I left some skin on when I peel them then sliced.

Hope this helps you. I was experimenting with low heat cooking that day.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #232

Yes, Sharon, very helpful. I'm making these this week for sure!

Judy, it's amazing what only a 4 minute exercise routine can do!! And I use a free tabata timer online when I do it. That 4 minutes flies by! Sometimes I do 2-3 sets of 4 minutes, but Friday I only did the one set. Thank goodness! I might've had to be hospitalized!!! Hahaha.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Have you ever tried chia? I think Cindy might be an expert.

I have quite a bit of chia (had it before I started eating this way) and use it very little, but often think it would be good to learn to use it more.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #234

All this talk about exercise. I just ordered those hot pants for exercise from Zaggora and I know the fat will be melting off my body in minutes. Lol. I really did order them for exercise. Lol.

Over and out.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dear Hot Pants:

Way to go!!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Sharon, Would it be bad to leave all the skin on? I tend to leave skin on everything I cook.
Kiddo's are here, Grampa thinking up new adventures... I'm enjoying the relaxation inside. dil coming to visit soon.
Hot pants... ugh, I have a hard time with heat when I exercise. Hope you like 'em!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #237

Lol. I will let you know how they work. Lol.

Debby:enjoy the kiddos.

I love preschoolers. In Sunday school today this one little red haired girl was so funny. She decided that Jesus might have made kitties and puppies but he didn't make sharks. Then she was sitting there saying, What is that smell? The she said it must have been her cuz she fxxxted. Okay. the troublemaker was there, but he didn't scare me. He started crying and I told him that he shouldn't cry in front of girls. So he stopped. His poor mom.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That is so darn cute. All of it.

We had a drive-through visit from a second-cousin of my mom's. She's young and has 3 young boys, I think about 10 and 2 8-yr-old twins. They've taken a month (dad was with them part of the way but had to go back to work) and gone to lots of neat places - visited our farm relatives and came over to have dinner with us on their way to Arkansas for a visit, then eventually home to Raleigh, NC.

The mom was describing Sunday morning at church this morning with all the reasons her boys might not have been the most well-versed in church things. The communion plate went by one of the twins who held up his hand and said, "no thanks, I'm full."
Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Hey Sharon, Would it be bad to leave all the skin on? I tend to leave skin on everything I cook.
Kiddo's are here, Grampa thinking up new adventures... I'm enjoying the relaxation inside. dil coming to visit soon.
Hot pants... ugh, I have a hard time with heat when I exercise. Hope you like 'em!
Not at all Debby. They tend to be tough but I've had them both ways. The one I'm doing today will be with skin. When they are done they have a frilly look.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #240
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Hello everyone!

Love Hot Pants, LOL

MK, whoa, that is one restrictive and in turn, very high carb diet. Let us know how it is going.

Had a busy weekend, even with all my kids gone. Tired and resting up today.

Some of the kids are due back in TX today, will be good to have them back.

Hot here.
Closed Thread