Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Right! We are walking on our driveway (live on 120 acre farm). But she is trained to the leash also. She sure loves the tall grass leaping & bounding through the tall stuff.
Good day today... accomplished lots at work (cob-webs are clearing) & also at home.
DH is home now, working around here. Its been fun to have him along for our walks.

Sorry about your IBS Mary Kay... hope you find a cure.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Good morning..

We had a little rain last night..Good thing.

MK: Do you eat wheat? The Wheat Belly guy says that many intestinal problems are caused by wheat, including IBS..Have you read his book? You probably can get it at the library..Hoping you are feeling better..

Think I'll go to exercise, then get coffee/breakfast supplies for tomorrow, and come home and clean a bit more..You can never clean enough..Dust finds you out.

Have a great day..Check in later.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
[QUOTE=TuscanGirl;16507408]Hi!

So - busy day after an interesting doc appt yesterday!
Apparently I have IBS.
I've battled diarrhea on and off for years, never quite knowing when it would hit and ALWAYS having lots of Imodium around.

After a long doc discussion, I'm watching my diet and going on Librax.
I'm really hoping this works because it would be nice to lead a normal life!

Today went well - I went to the shooting range, a doggie play-date for Merlin and a 2.5 mile walk in 94 heat and no symptoms.
Fingers crossed that tomorrow is good too and the 14 hour drive to Florida is easy!

The bad part is - I have to rethink my eating. White rice, potatoes and bread now need to be a staple.
It's going to be interesting!

You won't kick me out of the group will you?

Oh our dearest little MK, you can eat whatever diet your body needs, you can even sweep your driveway, of course we would Never Ever kick you out. The group has put up with me for how many years of my on again, off again LC eating. If they kicked me out, I refused to acknowledge or see that post anyway!

Sorry about the IBS, one of my sisters has had trouble with that, not fun at all.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Visit with Mr. Very Handsome cardiologist went well yesterday. He is not only handsome but so friendly, funny, and kind.

They had just installed a new system on their computers yesterday and he, the nurse and the receptionist were all having a hard time with it. But, here's the lowdown. Since seeing him, starting in January, he had switched around with meds and dosages to get me on a good BP balance. Yesterday it was good again. My concerns. Out of the 3 I was taking, 1 was giving me minor hot flashes. I could live with them but would rather not. Second one was not generic, could live with that but would rather not. Third one. After explaining my year and all that has happened, I told him my depression, which I take a med for, was harder to control and that I had been eating carbs for comfort food. So, he did a whole revamp of my meds. Has prescribed 2 different ones to replace the 3. That will be nice if all works well. One of them has a known side effect of causing a dry cough in about 20% of the people who take it, but if not, it works well. The other works well on most people but of course I looked up the side effects as soon as I got home. Among many, and don't all drugs list many???, I noticed one that I liked a lot. Could cause decrease of appetite! Then, a little further down the list, could cause rapid weight gain . Let's hope I get the appetite reduction side effect. Anyway am just to try them each for a month and check back to see how I am doing. Both generic so will save me a lot of moolah! Dr. Very Handsome was even so kind to call the pharmacy himself, right there with me, to see why the version of diovan I was on was not a generic, he really thought it was. Turns out the other version of it is. I have never had a dr. do that himself, so impressed with Dr. Very Handsome.

Finally bought groceries yesterday, what used to be a weekly or more chore is now about every 3 weeks.

Judy, your poor niece, that is the worst sick I think I have ever been! Are you working as much as you were or less?

Can't quit thinking about that picture of Molly in your driveway, makes me want a dog so bad!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
You know, I sure hate to let Mary Kay get all the sympathy!
I really think I had at least some form of IBS (kind of a big umbrella...) before I started eating wheat-free, grain-free (mostly). I never knew when I'd have diarrhea, either. And I never (well, rarely) have it now.

I'm not promoting the way I'm eating, just realized the absence of "those events."

Dr. Very Handsome is my new favorite doctor. No - I have never had a doc make a call during a visit and check on a medication. This guy is problem-solving and really listening!! And he's VERY HANDSOME!! Tra la la la la la la!!

I am working as much as before.
Well, I will as soon as I get back to it and off these boards...

Carolyn I'd just about swear that my dusting calls out to any other dust particles in my home to come repopulate any flat surface!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #126
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Thyroid girls, just got my thyroid tests back. My FT3 is 4.6 (the upper limit is 4.4) and mt FT4 is in the middle. Leave it (on 4 grains) or try to tweak the FT3 into range? The up side is I'm eating about 2100 calories a day and maintaining (!) the only downside I see is it seems to have super charged my BHRT and my skin is a little more prone to break outs. Clearasil pads anyone?? haha
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SO wish I could advise you... sorry.
Your smarter friends will give you the right advice!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #128
Always on, slightly off

MK, I bet there are a lot here that have IBS and LC.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Hang on to your seats gals! I'm now down 9 pounds! Oh...I'm so relieved to see this show back on the road. I have been taking 5HTP and think that has been a big help. Still eating whole fat and not over doing any thing. Don't feel the need to eat every 10 mins anymore.

DIL is just fine. Dr. check saw she had a valve not closing completely during beats. He told her there are many people with this problem and no need to worry about it. So she is back at work.

Dh took our dead wisteria out this morning and the roof off of our gazebo on our deck. I like it so much better now. We are thinking of putting up lattice for a nice roof covering. The potted plants will love the filtered shade.

I love the Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles. They are to die for!

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations Sharon!!

I remember that "not feeling the need to eat every 10 minutes" was my key, too.
It felt like I'd spent my whole life trying not to eat.

Those strawberry cheesecake popsicles are SO good - I agree.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #131
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

Good day so far!
I went to the gym in the morning monsoon (I was actually drying my shoes and socks with the blow dryers in the locker room!!)
Then to Target, TJ Maxx, Kroger and my mom's and I didn't have any problems.

Fingers crossed that this med works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi..

Oh, MaryKay..Have you ever tried Slippery Elm Bark? It is supposed to be very helpful for IBS. Look it up on the net, but of course, your meds, too..So sorry you have that. If you have to eat those carby things, you need to pretend you are on WWers and avoid the fat with them or don't overdo it. That is the bad combo...carbs plus fat. We lubs you and would never kick you off..(I had a Braum's soft serve yogurt tonight..)
I haven't tried anything except the new med.

And yes, it's going to require an entirely new mindset! Fat has become bad and I was heading more toward Paleo and that's out too ~ fresh fruit and veggies aren't my friend right now either.

I'm not sure I remember how to do WW . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Oh no MK!! Sorry to hear about your IBS. And of course, you know you're always welcome here, no matter what you're eating. I hope it works for you and quickly!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Oh for heaven's sake!
I've been in the wrong group all this time!

I thought this was the group that talked about awesome food and how to find it or make it!

*snort*

Seriously though, MK, your strategy was not low carb anyway, was it?
Or was it?
It seems like there are several here who eat completely whatever works for them and it works for them AND YOU WEIGH A LOT LESS THAN ME.
Oh, was I yelling?
Sorry.

AND YOU'RE A LOT TALLER THAN ME ......

I was eating more Paleo - see above!

Anyhoozle - ya gotta do what you gotta do.

My cute cute cute cute 27-yr-old niece had food poisoning and I was telling her the kindest thing for her gut would be rice and potatoes. Glad your doc agrees with me!
He does agree with you!! See how smart you are!
So sorry about your niece!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Right! We are walking on our driveway (live on 120 acre farm). But she is trained to the leash also. She sure loves the tall grass leaping & bounding through the tall stuff.
Good day today... accomplished lots at work (cob-webs are clearing) & also at home.
DH is home now, working around here. Its been fun to have him along for our walks.

Sorry about your IBS Mary Kay... hope you find a cure.
I'm still afraid if I let him run free he's just keep running. "Coming" is not his best trick!
And there's really not a cure for IBS - you just get it under control.

[quote=Buffy45;16508428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Oh our dearest little MK, you can eat whatever diet your body needs, you can even sweep your driveway, of course we would Never Ever kick you out. The group has put up with me for how many years of my on again, off again LC eating. If they kicked me out, I refused to acknowledge or see that post anyway!

Sorry about the IBS, one of my sisters has had trouble with that, not fun at all.
Phew! I'm sure the driveway was a much bigger issue, right?!

Quote:
You know, I sure hate to let Mary Kay get all the sympathy!
I really think I had at least some form of IBS (kind of a big umbrella...) before I started eating wheat-free, grain-free (mostly). I never knew when I'd have diarrhea, either. And I never (well, rarely) have it now.

I'm not promoting the way I'm eating, just realized the absence of "those events."
I do try to stay gluten-free as much as possible. I'm hoping all of it will just magically work.

Sorry you had the same symptoms too AND you've conquered it!

Sympathy by the hundreds for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Clearasil pads anyone?? haha
Acne and gray hair isn't fair at all!!
Though I totally envy the 2100 calories!! I think that's a 2 day total for me!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 07-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #132
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
MK, I bet there are a lot here that have IBS and LC.
I was looking through the forums and I couldn't find anything.
If you do, let me know!!
Pleaseandthankyou!!

Sharon - congratulations!!! You've worked really hard!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #133
Big Yapper!!!!

WTG Sharon, great feeling!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hormone pals, do I need to do a saliva test to check my hormone status?
I am nearly positive I need more, after talking to friends.

Or on my blood test form my doc ordered, I could check all kinds of things, DHEA S, Estradiol, Estriol, FSH, Progestone, etc....

Any help would be great.
And I also understand if I need to find another doctor, I might travel to my friend's doc in OKC.

I'm still having some warm flashes every morning when it wakes me up at 5AM or 5:30 AM. Not much ever after. Moods still not great - more swings than I'd like.
HOWEVER I am happier now than I was say, 3 months ago...
Old 07-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #135
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Hormone pals, do I need to do a saliva test to check my hormone status?
I am nearly positive I need more, after talking to friends.

Or on my blood test form my doc ordered, I could check all kinds of things, DHEA S, Estradiol, Estriol, FSH, Progestone, etc....

Any help would be great.
And I also understand if I need to find another doctor, I might travel to my friend's doc in OKC.

I'm still having some warm flashes every morning when it wakes me up at 5AM or 5:30 AM. Not much ever after. Moods still not great - more swings than I'd like.
HOWEVER I am happier now than I was say, 3 months ago...
Blood tests are best for the sex hormones. You sound like you just need better control. Glad it is better though. Is your doc a hormone doc?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes she is, but she's never checked any levels to see if the bhrt is sufficient.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #137
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Yes she is, but she's never checked any levels to see if the bhrt is sufficient.
Bad doc! But seriously, I was getting levels every 6-12 weeks in the beginning especially since you are still symptomatic.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blood? Or saliva?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
I'm still afraid if I let him run free he's just keep running. "Coming" is not his best trick!
And there's really not a cure for IBS - you just get it under control.
Yeah, depending on the breed, for whether they want to stick with you on a walk.
My ds thought she had IBS for years, but it turned out to be celiac. Gluten free is making all the difference for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbrihil View Post
Hang on to your seats gals! I'm now down 9 pounds! Oh...I'm so relieved to see this show back on the road. I have been taking 5HTP and think that has been a big help. Still eating whole fat and not over doing any thing. Don't feel the need to eat every 10 mins anymore.
So happy for you!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #140

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Sharon, that's fantastic! And I'm glad you're feeling more satisfied too. It's hard to be hungry all the time!

Judy, my dr checked my hormones with blood tests. (same doc as Cindy) And they re-check until you're balanced and feel good. Plus he checks occasionally just to make sure everything is still good. I've heard of the saliva tests but have never talked to anybody who's had them. I really think I'd change Drs if I were you. Amazing that you were given bhrt without even knowing what was needed?

Great news Buffy. I wish your Dr Very Handsome did house calls. To Kansas City!! Lol. I hope the new meds do the trick for you.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I spoke to a college friend today (my "little sister" from my sorority house) and she was the one who was urging me (based on my pitiful presentation to her ) to get more hormones.

I didn't know what to expect, but I am constantly wondering why I'm paying for/applying these hormones when I can barely tell any difference.

Thanks Sandy.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #142

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I believe I'd fight somebody if they tried to take my hormones away, lol. That's how much better they make me feel! Don't give up.

With Cindy's guidance I found the sublingual B12 today at Costco. I was thinking it would be drops but they're actually little dissolving tablets that you pop under your tongue. I'm hopeful they'll give me a little more energy in the late afternoons when I seem to hit a slump.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting. I didn't know they could test hormones with a blood test. I had mine checked with a saliva test. (what a pain)! That's how the naturopath discovered how to treat the adrenal fatigue. Hope you get some answers Judy.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #144

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi

Busy with my company, but fun.

Blood tests for hormones for sure, Judy. I went back to a troche from my creams because my sleeping vastly improves with a troche.

Cindy, can you cut it back to 3.5 grains? It is a bit high on the T3, and not great for your heart I don't think. You might not be able to eat as much though.

Lots of great discussion. Will join in later.

Methinks Dr. Handsome likes our Buffy. as a friend of course.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #145
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Blood? Or saliva?
Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Interesting. I didn't know they could test hormones with a blood test. I had mine checked with a saliva test. (what a pain)! That's how the naturopath discovered how to treat the adrenal fatigue. Hope you get some answers Judy.
I think saliva is a good way to test the adrenals but blood is fine for the others.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi

Busy with my company, but fun.

Blood tests for hormones for sure, Judy. I went back to a troche from my creams because my sleeping vastly improves with a troche.

Cindy, can you cut it back to 3.5 grains? It is a bit high on the T3, and not great for your heart I don't think. You might not be able to eat as much though.

Lots of great discussion. Will join in later.

Methinks Dr. Handsome likes our Buffy. as a friend of course.

, maybe as a Mom, he's much too young
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Blood

I think saliva is a good way to test the adrenals but blood is fine for the others.
Thanks to all who answered!

I think I could stay with my current doc by telling her I want a blood test to see the effectiveness of the current dose of BHRT, also telling her I still have symptoms.

If she balks or whatever, I'll go somewhere else.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #148
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, have heard there is a very good Dr. in Houston, you know, that city that you get through by going through Dallas????
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #149
Big Yapper!!!!

Nobody has home security like DD#2, little Bobby has taken over her home office and set it up as his security center. DD can only enter and ask to use her office IF she puts on a security badge.

He has so little time and so many characters to play.....
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Nobody has home security like DD#2, little Bobby has taken over her home office and set it up as his security center. DD can only enter and ask to use her office IF she puts on a security badge.

He has so little time and so many characters to play.....
OH MY GOODNESS that is the cutest thing!!

I am pretty sure if I needed to travel to Houston I would scrap that and stop in Dallas, requesting a guest room at Villa Buffy. Of course I'll need some security. Hopefully Bobby and Ava will be available. Together with any other cute grandchildren!!
Closed Thread