Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
No, Sandy...just cook it longer..and use your toothpick..LOL..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #152
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Judy, I just put the black bean cake in the oven. It was very runny batter, not thick at all. I didn't have to smooth the top down at all. I sure hope I didn't ruin this! Because the batter tasted really pretty good.
I always think that but it cooks up great. I have been thinking about making one her lately. How did you make your yogurt?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #153

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
The cake turned out great, except I cooked it in one of those crinkle-edged tart pans, (I thought it would be cute, lol) and it stuck to every crinkle! I salvaged enough to drizzle with ganache icing and still serve I think.

Yogurt:
I use about 26 oz heavy cream, 1/4-1/2 c. powdered milk and 2 T plain yogurt starter. And sweetener. Heat the cream, sweetener and powdered milk mixture to 190*, cool down to 120-125, add starter, mix well, pour into yogurt maker jars, turn on yogurt maker and let sit for 12-16 hours. I heat it in the microwave and cool it down by setting it into an ice water bath and stirring. It's very easy and ohhhh, so creamy and delicious!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #154
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

It's been one of those days!

I went to the gym, library, health food store, farm & fleet, bank, newspaper ( to turn in DS20's Dean's List letter!!! He had straight A's at Loyola last semester!!! ), CVS, and Kroger!

Came home, walked the dog, put away everything, ate lunch, unloaded the DW, fed the dog, walked the dog again, walked with my neighbor, came home and fixed dinner (yummy asparagus and steaks!), cleaned up after dinner and started the DW, and now, here I am.

This is pretty much what I do every MWF. I'm tired!
Though part of me wants to walk again tonight . . . . my neighbor is just starting out again, she only walks with me in the summer, and she keeps stopping to look at flowers or talk to people. Either she's REALLY interested or she's trying to catch her breath!

Guess it was steak week for everyone!!

I called DS29's BF (he used to be a chef for Wolfgang Puck) on what to do with the asparagus - and it was fabulous!!
I need to start eating cleaner - last night's dinner of onion rings and Maker's Mark isn't on anyone's WOE!!

A FOID card means Firearm Owner ID card. Now I can actually rent a gun at the range (instead of using one of the instructors) and and I buy ammo and my own gun if I want!
Though if I use a range gun, I have to use their ammo.

Judy - I read that a lot of women our age are having gallbladder problems because of all the low fat diets we were on . . . then you introduce fat back into your diet and the gallbladder can't handle it and it makes stones, etc.

i guess just another reason for EFGT!

Sandy -I want to make the cake too!!

Carolyn - the cheesecake sounds yummy!

Buffy - so sad when you lose a pet!!! And all this year would be tragic!!!

Merlin has been busy destroying every toy he owns!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-05-29 15.10.30.jpg (32.2 KB, 11 views)

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I think mine was runny.

I made the simple cocoa brownies for dessert because I was out of time - everybody loved them and we topped them with whipped cream (from a can, sorry to say).

I can't wait to make that cake again - it was absolutely fantastic.
And I think without the frosting or with only a little of the frosting my mom could have it too! The cake itself is not extremely high fat. Hope yours is good!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH Merlin!!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #157

Hi ladies and Jim,

143 today..Whoppee..but today is a wedding..

Last night, Judy, at our small group, they were talking about one of our members having his gall bladder out then he has pancreatitis! Not fun and he hurt like crazy. The two
nurses there said that the old treatment was no food at all..and you had to be in the hospital for days. Gentle foods for your mom, maybe..Light soups, no sugar, shakes, maybe..Easily digestible things so her pancreas can rest. Just some thoughts..

MK: Yeah, for Ds20..Smart kid!!!!

Jennifer asked me to put a recipe or two in the 4th Volume of her cookbook..Now, I have to think of an original one. I "might" do that brisket recipe cuz it is soooo darned good..

Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn - as far as I can tell the "old" treatment for pancreatitis is still the current treatment. If you have food or liquid on your stomach, your pancreas wants to churn out enzymes (and, I suppose, insulin) to digest that food/liquid.

Both times (this year) my mother has had it, that was the treatment - no food, no liquid (nothing by mouth) plus pain relief as needed.

So that member had his gall bladder removed THEN found out he had pancreatitis on top of it? Or that was the original problem? My mom's gall bladder is pronounced 'healthy' from ultrasounds. I keep wishing she had gallstones and that could be the problem, which could be removed.

I also keep thinking about how my SS and I have certainly increased her fat intake over the last year - or she has because we've been eating differently. And how she must go back to something like a South Beach mentality. Lower carb, lower fat overall.

And I think so about gentle foods for my mom for awhile. She's actually just not very hungry or interested in much food. She says she feels MUCH better today.

She's tired of cooking, too. She made 3 meals a day for all of us for 20 years, then fed herself and still does. She's just tired of cooking. I am going to make some 'gentle' foods for her (I wish she liked soups better....) and even some little cakes sometimes from Ouizoid's BTF mixture. They are also low fat.

I forgot to congratulate MK's DS20's extraordinary intelligence. Add my kudos to Carolyn's MK!! And obviously his smart diligent parents!

And Carolyn congratulations for continuing to be involved in LC cookbooks - I confess you are my favorite cook!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #159

MK, that's wonderful news on your DS!! I'm sure you all are bursting with pride. Congrats to him and to his parents!

Carolyn, I love your brisket recipe!!!
Question about my bean cake. If I thin the icing down will it be like a ganache? Or do I need to do something totally different. I really need it to cover up the edges where the tart pan ripped it up. It's just for family, so not a big deal if they see it, but I'd like it to look half way presentable.

Judy, wow, you and your mom are sure going to have some challenging days ahead with her diet. I feel for her and you and wish you good luck and great success.

We're taking oldest DGD out to Fogo de Chao tonight to celebrate her great grades this past year in nursing school. And to catch up with her. We don't see her nearly as much as we'd like or as much as we used to. Which I know is normal, but we still miss the old days when the grandkids were always around. How time flies.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #160
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Drive by hello, DD and DSIL went to a graduation but I need to lay down and rest before we have to go to a retirement party tonight. Did some shopping and then had all the kids for tacos last night, I am tired but the pace for me lets up after tonight, Visiting DD will spend time with both her sisters while here but the part she and I both love that fits my energy level these days is out sitting out on the patio for at least 2 hours in the morning with our coffee! then I just kind of tag along.

MK, congrats on DS's grades.

Enjoyed catching up with everyone!

Hugs
Old 06-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy that's my favorite part of visiting, too - chatting over coffee for long periods of time. My SS LOVES to go and do every little thing and then do 2 or 3 projects while she is visiting. I love the chatting.

Sandy I believe you that you have grandchildren old enough to be adults - it's just difficult to believe from your picture... Not kidding.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #162

You are very kind Judy. Thank you very much.

Buffy, glad you stopped by to say hello. And glad you're having a wonderful time and thrilled that you're taking time out to rest!! Good girl!!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #163
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jim.b.mack
WOE: HF LP LC
Hey everyone happy Saturday just finished loading the Uhaul with Kate. The house is almost empty and is echoing kinda weird! Haven't found a new place near the airplane factory yet so everything going to storage.

Scale creeping up cause easy is sneeking in ouch! MK I just wanna roll on the floor with Merlin what a cute pup and congrats on DS20 making deans list wow!

Ill be back soon, I need to buckle down and get more weight off!

Ciao for now take good care all........jimmy mack
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #164
Princess Proofreader

Hi!
And
Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #165

Hi everyone...

Jim, once you get settled somewhere, you can focus on your eating..It is hard to do both..We all know you can do it.. Hope you find a house.

Judy, from what I gather, his gallbladder was removed and then they discovered the pancreas was inflamed and that was part of his pain..Nothing doesn't sound like a good diet, but I can see where that might help..Just IV's..
Mike (the man) does need to lose some weight, so hopefully that will happen.
He is in his late 50's..

Wedding was great...We saw church people who had moved away and it was really fun. One friend is a psychiatric nurse at Shawnee Mission Hospital. He is a riot..His wife teaches at a Christian school near there.

Yes, I think I will put the brisket recipe in there and maybe one more that I can find..
Old 06-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #166

The chocolate bean cake was a giant hit and very delicious!! A definite keeper!

We had a great steak dinner over at DD's house with the family after church. I hope everybody had a great day.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #167

Hi everyone..

Dh had a nice day..Books from his kids and call from dd..Beth is heading to LA to visit her roomie from Sundance in a few weeks for a long weekend..We will visit the kids in July for a weekend..Now to get a Cat Nanny..

We had Mexican..Need I say anymore???

Glad you liked the bean cake? Was this your first one???
Old 06-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Father's Day to all the dads and the dads no longer with us.

I envy the Mexican food, Carolyn. We went to Jason's Deli after church, mother, SS and me. It was nice and very very legal.

Mother is still feeling OK - a little stronger. Well, strong enough to go play bridge this stormy evening!

Sandy I'm so glad you liked that cake - it's going in my permanent "go to" file.
Did you make the frosting, too?
Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #169

Carolyn, I made one a long time ago and must've over cooked it b/c it was very dry.

Judy, yes I made the frosting also. Both were very good! But I do wish the frosting was the type that sets up a little bit, IYKWIM. This stayed very soft and wet but was delicious! Everybody, even the non-low carbers liked it.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes - my frosting stayed soft also. And I don't think anybody could possibly tell it was low carb.

I left a note for my DH last week: "Please save the rest of the chocolate cake for ...."
We had a friend from out of town last week and I kept the frosted cake in the refrigerator. The icing was more firm from being refrigerated - in fact my husband said I should have left it out longer!

Our non low-carb guest gobbled it up!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #171
Princess Proofreader

Happy Father's Day to all of our dads!!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Hi friends! Miss you!
We're in Bend Oregon tonight. Think we'll be here for another night too.
Much better climate for me here... not over-heating!
Hope you're all doing well. Such limited time for the net right now...
Thinking 'bout you all
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #173

Hi gals and Jim,

Still 143..Dentist today, thyroid/hormone doctor tomorrow..Whopee..

You are making me want to make a bean cake, ladies.. The cheesecake is gone..

Sandy: I'm making reservations for the Buddy Holly story at the New Theater on July 13..I'm the only one who has been there..I think the kids/dh will like it..

I am starting to feed Alex the Nolan way..3 ounces in the a.m. 1.5 ounces at lunch and
3 ounces at dinnertime. Before, I was afraid that too much food at one time would make his sugar levels go up. But, I think he can nibble away and I won't have to "serve" him every 4-5 hours..I was a "slave"..to my cat. LOLOL..So what else is new?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #174

Oh...I forgot..Does anyone do Bountiful Baskets? It is twice month fruit/veggie basket that
you pick up at an appointed spot in your town in a 20 minute window..Today is the order day for next Saturday..It costs $15 and you get lots of great veggies..I'm anxious to try it.

It is a nationwide program, so you sign up on line..
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #175

The closest Bountiful Basket pick up location to me is Topeka. I'd love to do that! We tried a CSA membership with our local grocery but it was $25 a week and we got way too much to be able to use so we ended up canceling it. I'm sure you'll love it!

I'm sure refrigeration would've helped the frosting to be a bit firmer but I was out of fridge space.

I need to make the cheesecake next.

My DD is bringing cream over for me to make her a batch of my full fat yogurt. Everybody loves that stuff!!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #176
Princess Proofreader

Morning!
Hot, sunny and humid day ~ finally summer in the Midwest!
Exercise and errands today - though I'm already feeling it from last night's run.
No, I don't run, but Merlin discovered fireflies last night and the only way to get him home was to focus on something else . . . so we ran!

Does this mean I get to skip the gym today?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Debby!
Nice you could check in - you are missed, but we know you are enjoying your trip and your visits - it sounds wonderful (now that it's cooler).

Carolyn:

Bean CAKE
Bean CAKE
BEAN CAKE!
BEAN CAKE!
BEAN CAKE!
BEAN CAKE!

I need to figure out that nutrition info for that so I can feel good about it.
I think I might even get away with half the amount of frosting and it would still be great. Will figure it out one of these days. I have a mountain of paper work and laundry waiting for me since my mom is better.

DH and I (he started the charcoals and I cooked) made various low-fat meat products for my mom last night. Lots of chicken breast tenderloins she can eat on top of salads or by themselves, 4 filet mignon steaks (Sam's has really good steaks here) 2 pounds of smallish, thin 92% fat-free Laura's Lean Beef hamburger patties, 1 lb. of that same hamburger browned with an onion and garlic. I got her a package of bread rounds - she said she'd never tried those (and they are good!) and some small potatoes. She likes a baked potato for a meal.

So none of those things except the potatoes are very "soft" but they will be ready for her when she is ready for them. We have an appt. with her primary care doc this Thursday where she will ask about further testing for her gall bladder. No stones were seen in either of these flare-ups, but she does have some info of other friends who've had pancreatitis and "sludge" was found in their gall bladders.

In other words, she's campaigning for gall bladder investigation hoping to never go through pancreatitis again.

Alex, the luckiest kitty in 100 miles, I hope you can continue to nibble your way to health...

Sandy - I'm with you on the cheesecake being next. Will you make a crust? Carolyn yours was without a crust? I'm KINDA thinking of making mine into cupcakes... easy to give away/freeze, etc... Carolyn do you think I could freeze your cheesecake with that sour cream topping?

I don't do Bountiful Baskets. I have a couple of neighbors who have done that in the past and it's a lot of food. I will say I've been the recipient of some of the overage.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Does this mean I get to skip the gym today?
Um, no.

What will I feel guilty about if you skip the gym??
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #179
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Hope everyone enjoyed Father's Day. We grilled steaks and DD roasted some delish veggies.
Short shower this morning, yard and plants loved the drink.

Judy, sounds like you are taking great care of Mom.

Visiting DD is out shopping right now, then this evening we are all going to dinner for DD 3's birthday which is thurs.

Buddy Holly story should be very good.

So wonderful having DD#1 here for a few days.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #180

Okay girls.....I'll make it so I can have my cake for breakfast..

Hmm..You do "cook" the sour cream, and it seems to blend right into the cream cheese layer, so I think it would be fine to freeze after you refrigerate it for 10 hours..That is the cheesecake..

No cavities..
Closed Thread