Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #121
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Carolyn, we have Mutual of Omaha, I am pretty sure Gary's mother had that, which is why we looked into it, you were very happy with hers.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Thanks..We couldn't remember..I knew her bills were all paid for...

Oh, that picture of the windmill you liked on FB was taken by Chris (my sister in law's brother in law) if that makes sense..He has his own site. This weekend they are going to the farm to take some pictures. Should be interesting..
Old 06-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I think the rest of that cake will wait just fine until tomorrow evening.

My sister and I spent until 2AM at the ER with my mom last night. Although she swore the pain was different, turns out she has pancreatitis again. She's got a room now, but the hospital was very full. Wish we'd gone to the arm of their hospital further south. Next time we will.

We are so blessed - even if we weren't there, she'd charm anyone and get great care. I feel so sorry for people whose parents have any kind of dementia or long-term disability that hampers their "be kind to the care-givers gene" and have lost the ability to be that sunny, nice patient. I'm sure the care-givers are aware, but that's a lot to have to manage...

Hope you all have good days. I might even have a nap today after a little hospital time!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #124

Good morning...

Grumble, grumble..Up a bit, so hitting it hard today and the rest of the week to get this
fat off..I will blame the cherry pie I had on Saturday. Maybe I did have too many slices
of that nommie bread yesterday. I think I had 8 slices..all day at 100 calories a slice..LOL. Oink, oink...

Off to exercise in a little bit. Good thing there are leftovers for lunch. dh is a good scrounger..My mom always said, "I don't do lunch"..LOL..

Poor KState lost last night. Oh well...Three of the players are going to the major leagues so that is good.

Check in later..

Oh, Judy will be praying for your mom..I hate the ER..but glad she got a room.

Last edited by CarolynF; 06-11-2013 at 05:26 AM..
Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #125

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Judy, so sorry to hear your mom's not well. But good to hear she's in good spirits. That's a giant plus, especially when she's feeling poorly. I hope it's short lived.

Carolyn, have you had the bread plain or toasted? Or both? And how hard did you find it to make? I know some peeps have had problems with that recipe, so just wondering what you think?

I have to take my dad to the Dr this morning for a routine re-check. He's still doing great and I think is about fully recuperated from his surgery last winter. And his hemoglobin is up where it should be, so that's good. He'll be 83 next month!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hugs Judy, Hope your Mom recovers quickly!
We're heading out of this desert heat this morning... going North!
Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh thanks all of you!

Carolyn that's why the little bump in pounds is temporary - you're aware and acting on it and that's that. Just a matter of a few days.

Sandy I hope your dad's appointment is uneventful!

Debby I'm glad you're going North! The heat is a stressor, I think.
Hope you're having fun as well!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #128

Sandy: It is pretty easy..Although I found out that NOW psyllium powder is not as good as other brands. If you use the 3 cup recipe and put it in a 8.5 x 4.5 pan you have to bake it longer than the recipe says. Honestly, I baked mine at 60 minutes and I think it could have gone longer. The inside was slightly moist, but done..

Duh...psyllium powder is Metamucil..LOL..so it has a goodly amount of fiber in it..

We go "North" in the summer..Hope you can cool off Debby..
Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #129

Good morning..

144 this morning..Still within the window, but near the top..I need to drink more water in the summer..So, that is my goal today.

Dh will gone to the farm with a plumber fixing the pipes that Grandpa Bill hitched up years back..LOL..There were some leaks..

Had dinner out with Gary's friend/secretary from work. She is our age and very sweet..
We had coconut shrimp..No wonder I am 144 this a.m..

Another hot day...Summer is here..How is the weather where you are?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn as a kidney stone person I very much appreciate any reminder to drink more water. I will join you in that effort.

Off the hospital. My mom finally got pain relief yesterday evening, but in opinion it was too much medicine. So I want to be there when the doc gets there to let him know she was uncomfortably over-medicated.

This day may be the turning point where they check her lipase and it's back down to normal and she's not in pain, etc. then they see how she tolerates food/water.

Thinking of all of you today!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi all!
Having a good "hot time"... heading toward California... looking for "coolness"
for your Mom - Judy.
Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #132

Hi..

Just made those Garbanzo Bean chocolate chip cookies..They are good..3 carbs each per 24 cookies..

So glad that your mom is pain free..It is hard to see our parents sick..

Debby: Hope you find coolness, girl..
Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #133
Big Yapper!!!!

Hello dear friends!
Judy, hope to hear continued good news about your mom!

Debby, you are in a hot part of the country but even Denver is breaking records. Crazy weather, keep moving.

Sandy, good news on your dad!

I am busy, busy. Was expecting DD#1 and DSIL Friday night, when we were talking last night she mentioned that they were driving down Thurs!!!!! So, I have a day less to get done all the things I would like to get done. But, can't wait to see them.

Better get back to being busy!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #134

I've planted 3 knock-out roses, 1 lilac, 3 drift roses, 1 spirea, 4 azaleas, 4 coneflowers and 3 sedum this year. I'd forgotten how much time it takes to water so much stuff. And of course it's in 4 different places.

I did sneak in 2 hours at the pool today. My tan was really fading so I needed an update, lol. The water felt pretty good too. I should've watered before I went!

I know I wouldn't have good portion control with those cookies Carolyn, but they sure sound good! How's the bread now that it's a couple of days old? Have you eaten it untoasted like for a sandwich yet? Will you make it again?

Buffy, try to relax and don't wear yourself out before your company comes. You need your energy to enjoy your time and activities with them when they're there. And I'm sure they'll never know if you don't get it all done.

Judy, I hope your mom is doing better today???

Debby, I hope you're bypassing Nevada. Dust storms there!

Sharon, hi! I hope you're keeping cool in CA. We'll be in SoCal in 2 months for a week and can't wait!

MK, how's Merlin's walking coming along?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #135
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

Judy - glad mom is doing better! I hope she's eating!

Carolyn - you're mailing us all cookies so we can try them, right?

Sandy - my friend's dog knocked him around a little bit and he's been much better since then - go figure! Thanks for asking!
AND I finally got my FOID card!!!

Buffy - I agree with Sandy - it doesn't have to be perfect - they just want to see YOU!

Debby - Are you cooler yet? It's 90 here today! And all the Midwest storms missed us!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You all are so much nicer than me!
My mom turned a corner today - is SO much better. Pain level really low and she got to have broth and sugar-free jello. I advised against any juices and she was fine with that.

Enjoyed the wonderful company of an old friend this evening, knowing my mom was so much better today. He used to be our attorney (quit looking at me that way! You know - wills, trusts that's all! Really! Stop looking at me! ) and moved to Chicago. He and his family were Tulsa fixtures - a wonderful old Tulsa family. DH made some obscenely huge ribeyes, grilled asparagus, my chopped salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper, scallions, celery, red wine vinegar and olive oil.
For dessert the last of the incredibly good chocolate bean cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Tra la la la la la la!

Back to the hospital in the morning - she might get to go home tomorrow if her lipase numbers are low!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #137

Judy, your dinner sounds delicious!! Maybe I'll make that cake for Father's Day. I'm so happy to hear your mom's doing better. I hope she gets to go home today.

We went to Peachwave the other night and tried their sugar free selection. I think it's not really sugar free as DH's blood sugar was pretty high the next morning. Too bad b/c it was really tasty.

MK, congrats on your FOID card!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #138

Good morning..

I had to look up FOID card...I am impressed MK..Glad Merlin's walking is better..

Judy..how fun and how yummy...and did you tell them that the cake was made of beans?

Cookies are in the freezer..Still at 144..I think too many calories in the past couple of days..Calories count..What a sad story that is..

Oh..and dh and the plumber found a rattlesnake in the crawl space under the farmhouse. Luckily Gary and brought a hoe and a shovel with him, so they chopped it up and Gary took it around to the farmers to get their take on it..Yup, it is a rattler..a teenager. So he did some research on how to get rid of them..Fumigate or use sticky tape (like for mice only bigger)..LOL.

Off to my Christian Women's Club meeting today..Dh is in charge of Alex's lunch.

Sandy, grumble, grumble on the Peachwave stuff..It is like the SF Braums ice cream..It says "No Added Sugar", which means there is still sugar in there from the milk..
Is your dh still on 500 Met?

Have a great day..Keep cool..
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had to look up a FOID card - congrats MK!!

You could knock me over with a feather if some restaurant's sugar-free really meant low carb. I just assume it doesn't. But am happy to shown if I am wrong. I remember Sandy you once mentioned Cheesecake's Factory SF cheesecake was really good and I think I'll try that some day.

My mom texts that she feels very well this morning - even restless - so maybe she gets to go home today. Will let you all know.

I tell anyone who will listen that cake is made with black beans and no flour, but am also pretty clear about the artificial sweeteners. I have 2 people who hear erythritol and say no thank you. But those who will taste it cannot tell it's artificially sweetened or that it's made with beans.

The cafeteria at St. Francis has a guy flipping omelettes and he's going to flip one for me and one for my mom this morning. She might like a bite or two or three. Says she's not really hungry this morning and she's normally not a fan of just eggs, but will occasionally like an omelette. They also have a really nice salad bar. No meat, but lots of chopped up eggs so that works for me.

Carolyn I hope Alex doesn't tell Gary any fibs about how much he should be fed. Our brat pug lies to us about whether she's eaten a meal - if the other has fed her and failed to say it out loud.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #140

Our spoiled brat Eskie does the same thing Judy. DH tells her she's trying to double dip, lol.

Carolyn, how scary about that rattle snake!!!!! Yikes!!!!! I'm sure glad they found it before it found them.
DH has moved up with his met dosage. I think to 1000 2x daily. I'm not sure he always takes that much as he's still adjusting to the tummy issues. But he has lost a couple of pounds so maybe it's working.....finally!

I told him yesterday that I wish he'd go ahead and retire early. His pension wouldn't be as much and neither would SS but I worry about him a lot. He has a pretty high stress job plus he's a workaholic. He's getting ready to start a job that's about 1.5 hours away. Each way! And that will just increase my worries with all that extra road time plus long hours. After all these years though, I know I can't make his decisions for him. But I can certainly encourage along the way.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning everyone!

I will have to look up the FOID card as well.

DS, Ollies daddy had to put his cat from premarriage days, Ernie down the other night. A urinary thing that was going to cost hundreds and hundreds and would be reoccurring. I told him that he did the right thing but he felt so horrid about it. Wasn't long ago that some bigger dogs got their poodle and they had to put him down and then they had a cat that went missing last summer. So, down to no pets. It has been a rough year for them for both the pets and Ollie going to pre-school, he has caught every bug going around in Austin this year.

You are all so nice to try to save me from myself and wanting to have everything done before DD comes. I do have a little problem with wanting to do that, although I am much better than in the past. Most of this was wanting to get things done so that I didn't have to do much of anything while they were here. Office work, pay the bills, have laundry done, try to get a reasonable amount of cat hair brushed, rolled, or swept away. Get groceries and plan what to have when the other kids all come out to eat Friday night. You know the drill.....

Rattlesnakes, yikes!!! And where there is one, you know others will be near by. Gary better wear jeans, boots and keep a close eye on the ground. Hate snakes!

Judy, so glad your DM is doing better and hopefully will be home soon. And, your dinner last night sounds delish! We shared a rib eye steak last night, our Kroger sells Nolan Ryan grass fed beef, it is soooo good. The rib eyes were on sale last week and I had picked up some for the freezer, kept one out. I don't know if Nolan Ryan sells outside of TX or not, and Kroger is our only local store I think that sells it. They have strips this week on sale, will probably pick up several of those for the freezer. They don't go on sale very often. Oh, and they now make hot dogs, the best hot dogs I have ever bought at the grocery store.

Yes, MK, how is our little Merlin?

Sandy I hope your DH pays attention and retires before his job wears him clear out. High stress jobs are so hard on people. I worry about DD#3, her job is so high stress and she makes most of the income for their family so doesn't feel she has a choice of quitting.

Ok, back to being busy, and trust me, it won't be perfect, I have one bedroom that I have turned into a "toss it in there until later, and shut the door" kind of room! DD and DSIL will probably get here sometime in the night, I told her that if they open a door to one of the guest bedrooms and the bed is full of "stuff", then that is the wrong room

May not be around much the next week so you all behave yourselves, I will check in when I can.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #142

Hi ladies..

The only good snake is a dead snake, I think..

Ollie is pet-less? Poor kid..Sorry about Ernie, that is sad..Pets don't live forever, unfortunately..

Sandy, my dh was 66 last November, so he could retire with full stuff..I think you should retire when you can still enjoy life, but it is totally the retiree's timing..

Alex was still alive when I came home..So, that is a good thing..We have a wedding to go to on Saturday, so I will put his food in the timed feeder. Might pre-freeze it so it will stay fresher..

Check in later..I am making a SF cheesecake for our small group tomorrow night..I like the one with the sour cream on top..
Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My mother got to go home after dinner last night.
This round really took it out of her - she's very tired from dealing with the pain and the hospital and the medicines. She's completely off pain meds and nausea meds, so that's good. She's just tired.

Evidently the typical diet for her condition is a "heart healthy low fat diet."
I wish I knew whether fat actually aggravated pancreatitis. They say her gall bladder looks healthy in the ultrasounds. They say she has no gallstones. I almost wish she did have gallstones or an unhealthy gallbladder so it could be removed and she could stop having pancreatitis.

We have a good friend who had pancreatitis so often he developed type I diabetes.

Which makes me wonder whether "healthy whole grains" are necessary for her diet - if it makes the pancreas work more to produce insulin... but it seems this pancreatitis is where the pancreas is inflamed and churning out digestive enzymes and sort of eating itself because it's inflamed. Not sure....

I wonder if supplementing digestive enzymes would help? I wish I trusted dietitions and nutritionists. I don't think they are obliged to share their research with me regarding their recommendations.

That said, Um Carolyn which cheesecake are you making?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy I love your check-in but not all your news. Sorry for Ollie and your DS.

I must say I was particularly glad to hear of your "toss it in there" bedroom, as we have one of those too.... I need to get tougher with myself and tackle it - along with my office (where I need a wall of cabinets installed - just takes time, attention and money! ) and then go on with life.

Sandy does your DH derive a great deal of joy from his work? And/or it is his identity? I always worry about new retirees who were completely immersed in their work shifting to finding purpose outside of it. From my perspective you two are young and can travel and enjoy it, but your DH has not called me to ask my point of view.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #145

Judy, I don't know about humans, but fat aggravates pancreatitis in dogs. My DD's dog got into a bucket of BBQ drippings and really had a bout of it. STill now if she eats too much fat she gets sick. I'm sure there's tons of research info online and I'm sure you'll dig until you find it. I don't trust the SAD for much of anything either but maybe in some cases it's necessary. PLease share what you find out with us.

And yes, DH does identify with his work. I see that as the biggest obstacle and I'm sure he does too. He'll have to find something to keep himself busy no matter when he retires. I just don't think he's ready to quite yet but he was so tired last night that if I'd had the papers here for him to sign up for it I do believe he would've signed them, lol. He's had a very hard week so maybe after a relaxing weekend he'll feel much better and I can quit worrying so much.

CArolyn, asked him last night, and he is taking 1000 mg met, 2x daily. HIs weight is finally starting to go downwards a bit and his BS seem more stable, even after eating a few carbs. TOo many and they of course go up a bit.

I made 2 batches of full fat, cream yogurt this week. I'd forgotten how rich and yummy that stuff is! IT's nice and thick like Greek yogurt! I also used one of those tortilla/wraps that I made last week as a small pizza for lunch yesterday. ADded sauce, cheese and pepperoni and threw it in the toaster oven. PRetty tasty so maybe I will end up using them up after all.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #146

Here is the cheesecake I made last night..It is my favorite recipe..

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ke-recipe.html

Sandy, so glad your dh's blood sugar is going down with the Met..It is important to get
the right amount of it. I do 1000 in the a.m. and 500 in the p.m.

Waiting for a call from BC/BS..and wondering what my monthly premium will be..I thought I applied for one around $350, but we will see if it goes through..

Hey, I lost a pound..LOL..143..Of course, I have a wedding tomorrow..of course..
Old 06-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats on the pound loss! Maybe they'll have not interesting food at the wedding. HA!

And many thanks for the link to the cheesecake recipe. Your taste is impeccable!

Sandy I bet you're right about the fat - and we all know how to do low fat. I just want to help her. She's sort of tired of cooking. I bet she could still drink her fat-free milk and not overly carb it up elsewhere. She's had a lifetime of artificial sweeteners and is fine with them. We'll figure it out, but I agree - I think I'll research a little more, too.
Also - anyone else with experience in this I'm all ears.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #148

Judy, you should go on the Medical thread on this site..They might have some knowledge about plans..

For my topping on the cheesecake..I got the Great Value Splenda sweetened canned cherry pie filling..Then I got some tart cherries in a can and drained half the can and added it to the pie filling to make more cherries..There are 3 diabetics in this group, so I am happy to make something they can eat, legally...

Dh should get his information next week on his plans..Me, on Tuesday to see what the amount will be..Scary..
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That cheesecake sounds absolutely fantastic.

I wish I'd had more time before we have DS, DD & their spouses over for dinner tonight. That would be something the pregnant people would love... and their husbands... and us....

I was thinking I should see if anyone else is talking about pancreatitis on here - or anywhere.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #150

Judy, I just put the black bean cake in the oven. It was very runny batter, not thick at all. I didn't have to smooth the top down at all. I sure hope I didn't ruin this! Because the batter tasted really pretty good.
Closed Thread