Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I just made Maria's psyllium bread and put the little balls in a muffin top pan and squished them down..Easy recipe.. I made egg salad, so we will see how it tastes tonight..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Oh Sandy! How tragic! So sad. for them.

Yes Judy, I'm looking forward to getting to the California mountains!

Hey you girls... what store could I find oat bran? The stores we've checked don't have any! I don't know what I'm gonna eat after tomorrow!

Losing wt. as per usual for traveling for me... enjoying that! Have been enjoying my bathing suit too. Love it!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #93

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I think I bought oat bran at Whole Foods in the bulk bins. Good luck Debby.

Carolyn, I set a reminder to watch that ball game. How cool!! Thanks for sharing.

We're going to get the heat this week for sure. I am kind of looking forward to it. But give me a day or two and I'll be whining about it just like I whine about the rain, snow, wind and cold, lol.

I made some sugar free sweet Thai chili sauce to use in my bang-bang shrimp recipe and wow, it's delicious!! Now if I could figure out a perfect sub for cornstarch that recipe would be perfect.

I've had a pretty good day, food-wise too. Only bad thing was the cornstarch dusting on the shrimp.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 06-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #94
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post

Cindy I have a little picture for you. To the right of the big words it says, "or yard work."
Great picture!!!
And the shakes are really yummy! Easy with the Magic Bullet too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Then Cheryl made a homemade cherry pie. It was great. .
I cherry pie!! And Blueberry too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
It's ONLY 116!

Only?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post

My allergies feel like they're trying to kick into high gear too. Ugh! I could do without them, thank you very much.
Zyrtec? Claritin?

And so sorry!! No one should die that young!!

Quote:
Hey, the KSU baseball team is one game away from playing in the College World Series.
Who watches college baseball? We will tonight..

Watching the Tony's tonight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post

Hey you girls... what store could I find oat bran? The stores we've checked don't have any! I don't know what I'm gonna eat after tomorrow!
Does Red Mill package it? It would be in anyone's health food section.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Oh.

My.

Stars.

That cake is incredible.
Gave our neighbors the tiniest slices - and told them before-hand it was made of beans, low-carb, gluten-free. A few years ago they started eating low carb, both lost lots of weight, then started back on chips and ice cream.

When I offered the tiny slices of cake, they agreed so I ran home to get the slices - came back with the tiny slivers of slices, they told me what they'd been doing while we were in Colorado. The wife had hamburgers, french fries and a malt for TWO meals in a row and had what they thought were gallstones.

They did remove her gall bladder, but during that operation saw a mass on her liver. Don't know yet if there is lymph node involvement, but they took away parts of her liver until it was "clean".

She starts chemo and radiation end of this month. I think they are a tish over age 60 - their kids are our kids' ages, I think. Maybe ours are a bit older, but not much. She has a good attitude and they'll do a pet scan later. Told her she was lucky - they said most people don't discover that kind of cancer until it's too late.

And she can't tolerate any artificial sweeteners.
And I did not preach to her. So... that's what's going on here.

And I got nearly ALL my begonias planted and DH grilled burgers with onions in the middle and I'm eating it in a lupin bun. Sliver of chocolate cake for dessert.

Carolyn way to reign it in and set the tone for the meal. You are a wonderful example.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think we were all posting at the same time!

The oat bran I have in my freezer is Bob's Red Mill. Agree with MK - check the health food section and I suppose you've already checked near the oatmeal. Or even check the gluten free area if one exists.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #97

Walmart has oat bran, I believe.

Your poor neighbor Judy. But thankfully they found that mass and took it out. Scary.

I just ordered a Chillow. It is a cooling insert you out in your pillow to keep you violate night. Anyone have one???

Glad you liked the bean cake, Judy.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the oat bran suggestions. I checked the cereal isle. That's where we have it in Canada. We'll go to walmart tomorrow..
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #99

Good morning everyone..

Sunny day and hot today..Welcome to Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas!!

I do think dh is enjoying his retirement..No stress, which is always great for our guys..

Off to exercise in a little while..and hoping to get those weekend pounds off soon. Cheating = weight gain for me..Carb cheating, especially..

Poor KState didn't do so well last night.. One more opportunity to make the World Series.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #100
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Morning!

Meeting at 10:00, dog walk, feed dog, walk dog again, meeting at 4:00, dinner out with friends at 7:00.

Somewhere in there I have 3 bathrooms and a family room to clean.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #101

Judy, so sad about your neighbor but good that they found it now. I'm sure they appreciate having you as a neighbor; you are such an encourager which is such a wonderful gift.

Carolyn, is Gary sleeping in? Any "honey-do" lists yet? JK, I'm sure you'll both enjoy every minute of his retirement.

Deb, good luck finding your oat bran. And continued safe travels to you.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MK - that's a great day you've got going there. Bathrooms are very good at being cleaned quickly around here. Unless company is coming. Then it's a whoooooole "project."

Sandy that diagnosis for my neighbor was startling. They are interesting people. Very cerebral and mostly keep to themselves. She comes from a large family in St. Louis area and I think they're all going to visit one at a time.

One thing about them keeping to themselves - I h*a*t*e planting plants. I love flowers and the results, but I hate the work to get them there. And I don't want anyone else to do it, but I hate doing it alone. My mother will often come over and keep me company, maybe throw a few plants in the ground, but neighbor would come over and sit and talk for quite a long while, which I loved. It seemed uncharacteristic of her/them, so I really appreciated it.

Cancer people so often are advised to eat no meat; agave syrup seems to be ok with their docs; all grains are welcomed, etc., but when I find out how she wants to eat, maybe I can provide a dish or two.

When she was telling me about her "adventure" (gallstones to mass on liver), it was all out-go. I could tell, she was "telling" me, not asking me anything. She was lucky, she was fine, and it is all going to be fine. She was taking control of this by steering the tone. I completely respect that and I bet there is a lot of unwanted advice after a diagnosis like that. So I uncharacteristically shut up and listened.

Debby hope you found that oat bran. Don't waste away to nothing (said nobody to me, ever, at all!! ) !
Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #103
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Yesterday was a food disaster. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Yesterday was a food disaster for me too. .
Yesterday was a food disaster for me too!! It does not help that they have a Belgium waffle maker at work but I am going to bring some Maple Groves Farms waffle mix instead of what they provide.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Quote:
I just made Maria's psyllium bread and put the little balls in a muffin top pan and squished them down..Easy recipe.. I made egg salad, so we will see how it tastes tonight..
I'm wondering how your bread turned out Carolyn. Did you see her Vimeo video on FB page? I think it called for 3 cups almond flour for that loaf size.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #105

I'm curious about the bread too Carolyn? I'm getting pretty discouraged trying to find a bread that tastes enough like real bread to bother making it. I only miss a piece of toast with a soft egg and the occasional bun but with BLT season coming up, it would be so nice to have a bread sub that was really good once in awhile.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks,
I did a search & there's no oat bran in Chandler! That's crazy... Going to make it tough for the next while of travel. I guess my diet will consist of large quantities of magnesium citrate until I can find some.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #107

Did you look at health food stores? And in the Bob's Red Mill sections of the groceries? That is crazy!!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #108

Hi everyone..

Gary is up to his eyeballs in insurance information..LOL..Not fun..and quite confusing..

Okay...I am going to try to make the "loaf" this afternoon with the 3 cups of almond flour...Stay tuned..LOL..
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #109
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Checking in!
Carolyn, I have been eyeing that bread for a while now and also watched the video. Looks easy but like Sandy, I am tired of the LC breads that "look" like bread but never taste like it. Even it if has to be toasted, I am ok with that but I want it to taste similar to bread.

Tell Gary it really takes a while to get through all that insurance paper mess. I don't see how people who are even "older" than me, understand it at all. My cousin was satisfied to just go to an insurance agent and let them figure it all out when they went on medicare, etc. and retired. I wanted to do it myself so that I could truly understand it all. Guess what, we ended up with practically the exact same thing, she doesn't understand, I do, but what was the difference, she saved herself tons of time and aggravation.

Debby, are you in Chandler, Arizona, the suburb of Phoenix? I can't believe they don't have oat bran at a grocers or HFS there? Wow

Judy, I "kind" of like the planting process but I really don't want to do different potting soil mixtures for various plants, just want to pull it out of one bag, or did up a certain area and throw them in. And, I wish they all took the same amount of sun/shade, etc.

Yes, hot has arrived in TX this week as well. Afraid our evenings of enjoying the patio may be over for a while and I will have to work to see which of my plants can take this punishment they are in for over the next 3 months.

Watching over DD's cats and mail and house this week. They finally got off Sat. night for their week long vacation to TN and Dollywood that DGS Grant (13) has been planning for the past year. Seemed everything was against them getting to go, car problems, one of DSIL's employees quit on Thursday, etc. etc. but we got them gone and I hope they have a wonderful time. Since DSIL is from Canada, almost all vacation time is spent visiting family, which is nice and they do live in a beautiful area, but DGS wanted and deserved a vacation where he could pick some of the things they got to do. He gets straight A's, works hard to help out, I so wanted them to take this trip he planned for them.

DD#1 and DSIL are due to arrive Friday night, he has to leave again on Sunday but I get to keep her until next Thursday. So, getting ready for them to arrive this week, sheets are washed, need to make a grocery list, etc. Will be great to have them here.

Judy, what bean cake recipe did you use? I can't remember if I tried that back when it first went around or not.

Better get some real work done!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy this one. If you made it for Grant's return and it was waiting in their refrigerator you would be the best grandmother/house-sitter EVER.
It is SO good. Quite easy, too. I included the frosting and followed every instruction to a "t". I happened to have some nunaturals pure stevia extract I was always wondering if I'd ever use.... Anywhere it said erythritol I used Swerve.

I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but I think it could be attributed to jacksmixedtape.
Maybe someone else knows?

Healthy Flourless Chocolate Cake
Adapted from a recipe at LowCarbFriends Makes a 9″ one layer cake

Ingredients:
1-15 ounce can of unseasoned black beans
OR 1 1/2 cup cooked beans, any color
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter OR coconut oil
3/4 cup erythritol + 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract
OR 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons honey + 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract
OR 1 1/4 cup Splenda (using Splenda is not recommended)
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon water (omit if using honey)

Mint Chocolate variation:
2 teaspoons mint extract (in place of 2 teaspoons vanilla)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9″ cake pan with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray, or just grease it with a thin layer of butter. Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute. Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan, then spray the parchment lightly.

Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander.
Shake off excess water.
Place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, stevia (if using) and salt into blender.
Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. No lumps!
Whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat butter with sweetener (erythritol or honey) until light and fluffy.
Add remaining two eggs, beating for a minute after each addition.
Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix.
Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water (if using), and beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth.
Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top.
Grip pan firmly by the edges and rap it on the counter a few times to pop any air bubbles.

Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cake is done with the top is rounded and firm to the touch. After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to a cooling rack.
Let cool until cake reaches room temperature, then cover in plastic wrap or with cake dome (I use an overturned plastic chip bowl).

For BEST flavor, let cake sit over night. I promise this cake will not have a hint of beaniness after letting it sit for eight hours!
If you are stacking this cake, level the top with a long serrated knife, shaving off layers until it is flat and even. Frost immediately before serving
~58g net carbs for the whole cake using erythritol/stevia.
~6g net carbs per 1/10th
~126g net carbs for the whole cake using honey/stevia.
~13g net carbs per 1/10th

Healthy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough to thickly cover one layer, or fill and frost a halved stacked layer
Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted organic butter, softened, OR 7 tablespoons nonhydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon erythritol, powdered, OR 1/4 cup xylitol, powdered
5-6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons half and half OR coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
Good-tasting pure stevia extract, to taste
Optional addition for a glossy finish:
1 fresh organic egg yolk (Judy did not do this)

Preparation:
Cream the butter in a small bowl until fluffy.
Powder erythritol or xylitol in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet for a minute or two, until extremely fine in texture (reminiscent of powdered sugar). Let sweetener settle in grinder before opening the top.
Stir powdered sweetener into butter with a spatula, then beat until smooth. Slowly blend in the cocoa powder (unless you want to redecorate your kitchen), vanilla, and sea salt.
Beat in the half and half and egg yolk, if using.
Add stevia, starting with 1/16 teaspoon.
You’ll probably use less than 1/4 teaspoon.
Just keep tasting and adjust sweetness to your liking.
~7g net carbs for the frosting, using erythritol
Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #111
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Brought in some fresh catnip from my patio/garden. Fluffy is practically rolling in it, Lion sniffed, very interested but not going to lower himself to act a fool like Fluffy. The other 2 haven't found it yet.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #112

Okay..I'll have to get some catnip out for Alex..I keep it in the freezer..

No, Gary doesn't sleep in much, which is good..He has a plumbing problem at the farm to figure out, which on top of the insurance plans, is enough to keep the Alzheimers away..

Buffy: I forgot which Medicare Supplement you went with...Remind me, please..We are looking at BC/BS at $149 a month for dh..??? It is Plan F and covers everything..

Going to make my bread now, ladies..Nobody do any jumping jacks for a while.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #113

My dad has Humana Gold Plus (I think that's the exact name) and it's been great. And he only pays $20 a month!! I keep telling DH that I sure hope we can get that when our time comes, lol. He has small co-pays and any hospital stay caps at $575. That's what my mom always had too and with all her years of illness we never had any complaints. It includes the prescription benefit too.

I tried that cake quite a while back. I remember it being good but it took us too long to eat it. I wonder if it freezes? I also remember that I might've baked it a bit too long. Mine was a bit dry. But I really do think that was my fault.

We have that young man's wake to attend tonight. So very sad.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #114

Sandy, wow. That is pretty cheap!! Have to look it up.

Bread is done. I'm going to take a picture with my phone. BRB
Old 06-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #115

I sent you a picture of the bread. I will post a picture here when I get on the outer.
It is quite tasty and rather bready in texture but not very tall. I might need to get some new baking powder as I was at the bottom if the can.

It will indeed be a sad event tonight.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #116

Did you send me a pic of the bread? I didn't get it, if you did. I can't wait to hear how it tastes.

Oops, never mind, it just came through. Thx. It looks good!

Last edited by sjl330; 06-10-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn is this in a regular-sized loaf pan?
I'd be willing to use 3 cups of almond flour for a pretty good loaf of bread...

Sorry Sandy, about tonight.

My cake is so moist and everybody who eats it thinks it feels like real wheat flour.
I do have it in the fridge with a cake dome over it.
Now I have a note to DH saying, "may we please save the rest of this cake for our guest's dessert on Wednesday?"

Honestly I don't know if I can stay out of it. To us - it's fabulous.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #118

I used an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pan..I do think I will get an 8 x 4 so the bread is taller..Mine was about 2 1/4 inches tall..Not so tall, but great for tiny sandwiches and toast..

So glad you are enjoying the bean cake, Judy..You can certainly freeze it.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #119

So have you tasted it yet????
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #120

Yes, I have several slices..LOL..It is pretty good..Gary thought it tasted like rye bread..Probably the psyllium in it makes it taste that way. It has a nice flavor..Now, just to make it taller..LOL..
Closed Thread