Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #31
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Morning!

Judy - interesting that your kids are lactose intolerant, but you're not!
There are a lot of good substitutes for dairy free home cooking - it's just in the real world that I run into problems!

Sharon - I love the term "sloppy spoon measure"!!! That's how I cook too!

I'm in cleaning mode - good thing, since somehow the house has fallen apart in the last couple of weeks! Kitchen today - and possibly the guest room . . .

Last edited by TuscanGirl; 06-04-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #32
Princess Proofreader

Carolyn - I think you posted on the May thread . . . .
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Some folks who are lactose intolerant have found that they can tolerate raw milk. The logic is that the culprit in lactose intolerance has to do with what is destroyed by high heat pasteurization. I know this is a controversial issue, just throwing it into the mixer here. Some states allow sale of raw milk. My state doesn't under any circumstance, but there are plenty of raw milk advocates lobbying for changes in state law (wth safety protocols in effect, inspection, and so forth).
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Princess Proofreader

Bella - interesting! My cousin can eat ice cream and use cream in her coffee but can't drink milk. Something about the higher fat content. I don't have that luxury. I can eat yogurt though!

Does the high heat pasteurization affect the sugar (lactose)?

My mom has been intolerant since she was a child (1930's) and had to drink goat's milk. Did they use the same processes back then?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning.

You all have been busy little lately. I finally ave a full day home after my trip to Austin so will get unpacked and get the laundry caught up. Still having great weather, hope it can last another couple of weeks before the bad heat sets in. Dd#1 is coming to visit soon.

MK, our precious Judy became a mother by finding her kids along side of the road! well, maybe that isn't the exact story but I will let her explain. Lucky day for her kids to have her

Coffee

Last edited by Buffy45; 06-04-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
HA HA! Pretty much, Buffy!!

My kids are half native American from their bio-mom who is not much with us.
My husband is as light as me, so we just smile really big when we introduce our children who are noticeably darker. Well, nature loves diversity!
Anyway, we claim each other, so I find that a huge blessing and my favorite surprise in my life since I forgot to marry and have children at the appropriate time.

The kids seem to be able to tolerate cheeses (in moderation) and yogurt and cottage cheese quite well. I'm not sure about cream cheese. And these days I use a lot of cream cheese.

Part of my family has a dairy farm and lots of children. They drink raw milk. If they lived closer I might, too.

After I got back some of my blood work, my homocysteine level is high (a marker of inflammation). My CRP is fine, but not homocysteine. And (thankfully) there are no drugs marketed for high homocysteine levels.

Recommendations I saw on the web were:

Reduce drastically the amount of red meat eaten (ugh, but I've done it)
Reduce drastically the amount of alcohol (done, but cheated on vacation)
Reduce drastically the amount of dairy consumed (Um...working on it...)
Increase exercise (see dairy)
Reduce drastically the amount of coffee consumed (tea seems to be fine but see dairy)

And there is some discussion of needing specific B vitamins, so I ordered some voodoo B vitamins from some random doctor who needed more money from me on the internet. It's not prescription, but did seem to contain all the stuff other websites mentioned as possibly helping the high homocysteine level.

What I am wondering is whether it matters.

For instance, Jimmy Moore talks about his high cholesterol numbers (meaningless imo) and his high ldl. He talks about his lower trigs and the size and nature of the cholesterol - large and fluffy rather than small and hard artery-clogging.

What I'm wondering is whether the high homocysteine level matters much since I'm eating a well-formulated low carb diet. I didn't see anything like that on his website nor on this one.

My SS (skinny sister) is on a statin because her CRP level was high and rising.
All my other numbers are awesomely good - trigs 55, good hdl good ldl, good total (not that it matters, but it would matter to a doc).

So were we talking about my kids?
See how I turned that back around to me???

Running our Sea Doo back up to the lake today.
We've gotten 1/2" of rain overnight - exactly when my mother ordered it, as in Camelot.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Which lake do you go to Judy? My sister and her family have a place at Ft Gibson and go most weekends.

I'm not sure I've ever had my homocysteine levels checked. I remember asking my Dr about it ages ago, when I first heard about it, and he'd never even heard of it. Since then I've not mentioned it again, but maybe I should. Or I'll look back over my blood test results and see if it was ever checked.

Off to have lunch with friends.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'd really like to know if it's even important.
But my homocysteine level was 3x higher than the highest 'normal range'...
And I also wonder whether just having a painful kidney stone could alter that number?
How much do they know about that number?

Grand Lake O'The Cherokees! The gem of Northeastern Oklahoma and Southeastern Kansas!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #39
Princess Proofreader

Hi!

Judy - how did i miss that important bit of info - about the kids, we'll get to the other later

So, now i want details - if you don't mind - adopted or fostered? How many?
Boys? Girls? And Native Americans do have a higher incidence of intolerance, as do those from the Mediterranean - and since my grandparents came from Italy, i guess they brought that along too!

Now on to the next order of business: Homocysteine levels!
Mine was high, once upon a time, and then they recommended B vitamins! Go figure!
I started taking Folic Acid Xtra - which you can buy at most drug stores, though sometimes behind the counter. It has Vit C, B-2, B-6, Folic Acid and B-12. It also keeps my moods pretty level ~ basically my happy pill.

When the doc discovered recently that I was still taking it, he said they really didn't prescribe that anymore, but it makes me feel so good, I'm not stopping. It has even helped DD26 who tends to have big mood swings depending on the time of the month . . .

Now, is that more than you ever wanted to know?

Have a nice lunch Sandy!

Buffy - I'd love some coffee! Thanks! But do you have coconut creamer?

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 06-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #40

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Carolyn - I think you posted on the May thread . . . .

Duh!!!

Anyway, had a great luncheon with the girls..We do have a nice salad bar
at Big Cheese if you want avoid the breadsticks..

Dh hadn't told dd that he was retiring, so I thought I would do that..She called and we had a nice chat..

I need a nap before VBS, let me tell you..Those last songs are an aerobic workout, which is a good thing..

Weigh-in tomorrow..I will be up, I'm sure..Watching the sodium tonight..Maybe I'll just have some scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese.

Vitamin B is fabulous..Dr. says it is good for inflammation and weight loss.

Hugs all around..Going to post Alex's Off the Juice Testimony on the Diabetic Cat Care Place..

Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Hi!

Judy - how did i miss that important bit of info - about the kids, we'll get to the other later

So, now i want details - if you don't mind - adopted or fostered? How many?
Boys? Girls? And Native Americans do have a higher incidence of intolerance, as do those from the Mediterranean - and since my grandparents came from Italy, i guess they brought that along too!

Now on to the next order of business: Homocysteine levels!
Mine was high, once upon a time, and then they recommended B vitamins! Go figure!
I started taking Folic Acid Xtra - which you can buy at most drug stores, though sometimes behind the counter. It has Vit C, B-2, B-6, Folic Acid and B-12. It also keeps my moods pretty level ~ basically my happy pill.

When the doc discovered recently that I was still taking it, he said they really didn't prescribe that anymore, but it makes me feel so good, I'm not stopping. It has even helped DD26 who tends to have big mood swings depending on the time of the month . . .

Now, is that more than you ever wanted to know?

Have a nice lunch Sandy!

Buffy - I'd love some coffee! Thanks! But do you have coconut creamer?
They are my husband's kids.
Their mother is living but is an active alcoholic (sorry to put it out in the world in the open, but it's not really a secret )
They came to live with us as soon as we got married.
We still laugh about how I was going to straighten them out.
They were very gracious about the whole thing and have forgiven me completely. HA HA!
We are our own little family, and honestly I could not be more grateful.

I AM COMPLETELY INTERESTED IN YOUR VITAMIN B STORY!!!!
I am taking some voodoo Vitamin B supplements called "Homocysteine Care" and I believe I have noticed a lightening of my mood. I keep wondering why I'm taking hormones when I feel quite dark a lot of the time. Wouldn't it be nice if this were a pick-me-up?

I will search for the B vits you are taking. I was taking a regular old B-50 complex, and now this bottle says
Vitamin B6 25mg
Folate 800mcg
Vitamin B12 60 mcg
And then it has a bunch of other things so he can charge more.
I take vitamin C on my own.

Carolyn I love that you are worn out from VBS! You must be doing it right.
Glad you chimed in on the B vitamins.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Hi all!

Quick hello...

Wow, we had another marathon day. We are in Naturita, Colorado now. It was well over 100 today, too hot for me! Had to get rid of extra layers & resort to getting T-shirt wet in the end. Used lots of sunscreen on my nose & cheeks. Beautiful scenic drive though!

Here's a new page I'm working on... pics & map both... haven't filled in details yet though.
Spot Adventures: View A SPOT Adventure

Enjoyed beef taco's tonight. Loving having internet after a night of very poor internet.

G'nite

Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #43

Nice pictures Debby. How far are you going? Or are you just taking each day as it comes? Sounds like a fun time.

More rain today. Ugh. I'm getting a bit tired of it but I know we need it and it helps keep me from having to water all my new plants quite so much.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Good morning,
We're heading for Chandler AZ. Where dh's sister lives.
Have a good day! Hope we can stay cool enough to enjoy all the beauty.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #45

Hi

I take the same vitamins called Bcomplex with frolic acid and C. Dr recommended for everyone.

Judy: Too much testosterone will make me grumpy, so watch that amount if you can.

See you later.. Hugs around.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #46

Carolyn, you take the same vitamins as MK or ? Which brand? I already add folic acid but think I need to add some B's, especially B12 since I just recently quit getting a B12 injection.

My testosterone levels are pretty high and I feel great! I think Cindy said hers are high too. But high might be relative to each individual too.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Debby what a way to see the country! Hope you are having a good time.

Yes Carolyn are your B vitamins the same as MK's?

I will need to re-check my hormone levels, Sandy. I know when I started HRT I remember only that "they" (now I suppose I need to know WHICH) were "low".

My cute smart 84-yr-old mother has been very tired since we returned from Colorado. She thinks she has a cold. Although she is completely capable of doing it herself, I went to the doc with her. She saw a very capable nurse practitioner (I do think this is a wise use of money) who asked my mom the pertinent questions, then gave her a breathing treatment and ordered a chest x-ray and a little blood work and a urinalysis.

The good news is I was still able to make my hair appointment and she was still able to make her lunch date. HA!

She's home now and says she feels very tired, so I wonder if they'll come up with pneumonia or bronchitis or... I don't know.
Just glad we went in before she was too far into this.
She and I don't normally go running to doctors and must be pushed.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

*********************UPDATE***********************

Sit down.

My cute, smart mother has been diagnosed.

She has a cold.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #49

Well at least now she knows! Sometimes it's just good to find out. Especially after being on a trip. I was thinking maybe allergies. I get really tired when my allergies kick in. I hope it doesn't last too long for her.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #50
Princess Proofreader

Hi!
Long day with lots of errands, lots of exercise, lots of weed pulling, and cleaning up the yard and, of course, lots of dog walks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
*********************UPDATE***********************

Sit down.

My cute, smart mother has been diagnosed.

She has a cold.

Judy - I can look at % if you'd like on the B's, but all I know is that I feel better!

Debby - you're covering a lot of ground!! And such pretty country too!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jim.b.mack
WOE: HF LP LC
Hi all stable weight everything else crazy! Packing the house planning on putting stuff in storage! Hope to find a new place this coming weekend!

So where did May go?

Ciao ladies........Jim
Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #52

Hi gals and Jim,

Busy day..

Glad your mom only has a cold, but they can be exhausting..

Visited Rebecca's new little baby girl..She is a church friend/Brett's ex-highschool gf..They named her Zoe Anna..and I got to hold her.. Judy will be doing that soon.
Rebecca's labor was starting and the dr. was going to induce her this morning..Rebecca went to an excellent massage therapist and 30 minutes later she was in full blown labor..There is some spot on the feet that will help labor along, if the baby is ready.

And...my LC doctor recommended to me and others over 40 to have 25-30 grams of protein in the a.m. to start the metabolism for the day. She said she tried it and she lost 2 pounds recently. So, that is my new game plan..You kind of have to plan out
your breakfast..She also said you could spread the 30 grams out for the 2 hours after you wake up. I got some protein shakes, so we will see how it works for the week.
I was two pounds up, but still well within my window.

Maybe something else is making me feel grumpy sometimes..Maybe I will take 2 of the B vitamins..LOL..

Jim: I hope you find a new place this weekend..

Hi everyone.....First day of retirement..No one died...yet..LOL.. Dh has to go back to the SS office and file for Part B..It is very confusing this whole Medicare thing..No kidding...
Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #53

Congrats on Gary's retirement!! I can't wait until DH retires. I'm just afraid he never will. He loves his work but I keep telling him if he doesn't then I'm traveling without him! Lol. I might change my tune after if he ever actually does retire. But I don't think I will. His job through all our married years has been weather dependent so he was off work a lot in our younger years when it rained, snowed or was too cold. And I still liked him, lol. I know a lot of people have trouble adjusting though. But I'm sure you guys will be just fine.

What brand of the B vitamins are you taking Carolyn? Are they mixed with the folic acid too? Judy and I are trying to research what you and MK are taking.

Interesting about the 30g of protein. How much does she suggest for a whole day? I can still overeat protein so easily and usually do.

We went to get in the hot tub last night and it was only lukewarm. So I need to call the service guy today. I hope it's not the heater!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #54

Okay..I will get the list..I got them at Walgreens..Nature's Bounty High Potency Time Released B-Complex with Folic Acid plus Vitamin C. Ingredients:
Vit C 300mg
Thiamin 18 mg
Riboflavin 10 mg
Niacin 50 mg
Vit B-6 5 mg
Folic Acid 400 mcg
Vt. B-12 10 mcg
Biotin 50 mcg
Pantothenic Acid 10 mcg

I just realized that I am taking Biotin..Honestly, my hair is really getting thicker, too..Duh. My hairdresser remarked about it last week..

Sandy, on the protein for ladies over 40, she recommends closer to 90 for us..She said younger women can get away with less protein because they have better metabolisms.
Maybe you lose so nicely because you eat a good amount of protein...????

We are adjusting fine to the one day of retirement..He seems more relaxed, which is good and he is pretty self-reliant and not dependent on me for entertainment..

I do hope it is not the heater either..

Off to a meeting this a.m. Alex's blood sugar numbers are actually below 100 in the a.m. This is great news..And last night, he actually went downstairs himself when I carried his food down. He knew that it was bedtime..LOL.

Check in later..

I am making a hamburg/spaghetti sauce/Atkins pasta casserole tonight..Let you know how the pasta is..
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #55

I'm taking 1000 mcg of folic acid and 1000 mcg of time released b-12 and 500 mg of vit c daily along with a daily vitamin which also has a bit of each in that, so I guess I'm fine. I feel fine so I hope all is well. I take a few other random supplements as well as probiotics.
Good news on the higher protein for us older folks. I get hungry if I don't have my protein. Especially at dinner.
I really need to color my hair! I just can't seem to fit it in.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #56
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

Mine are Sundown Naturals Folic Acid Xtra Vitamins Caplets

Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 60 mg 100%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) 25 mg 1,471%
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 25 mg 1,250%
Folic Acid 800 mcg 200%
Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 250 mcg 4,167%
Choline (as Choline Bitartrate) 25 mg

So it looks like we're all getting different amounts of everything - but, if it works, don't mess with success!

Sandy - I hope it's something simple to fix!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post

Hi everyone.....First day of retirement..No one died...yet..LOL..
Good to know!!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You friends are a wealth of information.

I bought 3 bottles of these voodoo vitamin B supplements specifically for homocysteine care and I don't regret it, but I WAS sort of hoping I could find something less pricey and more at the counter than these bad boys. I just wanted to start taking something and doing something so I could have another test and see if it made any difference.

I understand some people have a specific gene that could make these levels high.

Thank you MK & Carolyn for letting us know the brand you use.

Sandy I have always wanted a hot tub and DH has always wanted to never have a hot tub. HA HA! So far, he is winning. Hope there's an easy fix for you all.

I just started taking biotin, too. My hair is so much thinner now than a couple of years ago. Hope it helps. My nails are growing faster, that's for sure.

Going to make buttoni's strawberry egg puffs she posted. They sure look simple. I might use my vanilla whey protein instead of the unflavored. She used her ebilskiver pan - I'll use my muffin top pan. Let me know if you want me to post the recipe - or wait for my unbiased review!

Carolyn I'm interested that we should start with 30g protein. It makes sense to me. And as with Sandy, I am sure I often over-eat protein, but I don't think it has made me gain, so maybe I need it too. I've read previously that people MUCH older than us in their 70s and 80s often under-eat protein and it does not serve them well.

Interested in which pasta you are using.

Happy retirement days. Congratulations on being young enough to enjoy it!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Good morning. You've got me all exited now about Vit B and Folic Acid. That is one thing I have not been taking. Going to look into it today when I head to my natural food market.
Going to watch my protein too. I'm thinking I need a bit more and happy to see 90 is the right amount for this oldie. I'm getting so bummed with not losing this ton of add pounds. There has to be way. Maybe all this great advice is going to help.

Carolyn's Dh, HAPPY RETIREMENT!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sharon I just like hearing from you!
I know - there's some way to unlock all this - unfortunately I bet it's slightly different for every person.
And everything seems to change and need MORE tweaking as we get older.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #60

Buttoni is popular around here today! I made her low carb wraps/tortillas. So far so good. They're beautiful and I tasted one with some butter and a smidge of peanut butter. Pretty good! We're having fajitas tonight so that will be the REAL test.

On the hot tub. My advice is, if your DH is against it, don't get one. My DH really never wanted one but then he was the one who finally suggested we get one, along with a new deck. And let me tell you, for him, the weather has to be absolutely perfect before he gets in it. It can't be too cold, too hot, too windy, etc. Which totally limits his involvement. And they're really not all that much fun sitting out there all alone. And they are quite a bit of work and take quite a bit of attention. He does help with all that part. But if I had it to do over, I wouldn't get one. Just my .02, for what it's worth.
Closed Thread