Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SugarQueen
Advice for Newbie- To Eat or Not to Eat

Hi, I'm on day 5 of induction. I'm trying really hard, and have a couple of questions about whether or not it's ok to eat the following things:

Sugar free gum

All natural peanut butter

Berries (I've read a couple of places where some people will eat berries as long as they combine them with a fat...what is your experience?)

Energy drinks that are low carb- does the caffeine mess up ketosis?

Splenda

Thank you for any advice.
SugarQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Well, I don't think peanut butter is included on induction. It is a carby legume and it should be watched. Berries are another thing that should be consumed in moderation as they are carby, too..

Dr. Atkins always suggested that caffeine might be a problem for some people. Energy
drinks are not food, so shouldn't be ingested very much.

Splenda is okay (with me) in moderation

Have you checked in on the Induction Thread? Lots of advice there, too.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Yes to the Gum, not sure about peanut butter - think I agree with CarolynF on that one.
Berries shouldn't be eaten on induction and I'd steer clear of energy drinks because they have all sorts of stuff in them that's gonna mess up your system.
Splenda is fine in small amounts. I used to have one sugar in tea and found that half a spoon of splenda was more than enough and actually found it really easy to wean myself off it completely so no i can say 'no sugar'! lol

Good luck... keep us updated how you get on x
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarQueen View Post
Hi, I'm on day 5 of induction. I'm trying really hard, and have a couple of questions about whether or not it's ok to eat the following things:

Sugar free gum

All natural peanut butter

Berries (I've read a couple of places where some people will eat berries as long as they combine them with a fat...what is your experience?)

Energy drinks that are low carb- does the caffeine mess up ketosis?

Splenda

Thank you for any advice.
Well, the gum I have has 2 carbs per piece I believe. One tablespoon natural peanut butter has 3 carbs. The issue is more which you respond worse too. I can manage peanut butter and it does not start cravings. So I can have one spoonful for breakfast with no probs. The gum does however start a binge fest. But, pre menopause I couldn't manage the peanut butter. My weak areas/tastes have changed. The intense sweetness of gum is a trigger for me. Berries don't seem to do much either way. I drink coffee and it doesn't affect me that I can tell. I wouldn't do energy drinks just because I hate the thought of them. Just a personal hang up. Splenda=off plan for me in short order.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/294/250
WOE: CKD/VLC weekdays
Start Date: 3.13.13
All of these things I've heard people get stalled by. Don't see changes in gum for me, but have seen that stalls people and they wonder whats going on. Pretty sure you aren't supposed to have any nuts or berries in induction whatsoever. I only added almonds after like 2 months, as I still eat about 98% induction foods. I still need to drop another 10-15 lbs though before I get off it.

Make sure you eat plenty of veggies and I got out of a month stall by adding a 1/2 avacado per day.

Last edited by cb83; 06-15-2013 at 05:20 PM..
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote