Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #361
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Judy, Yuck on those ticks! We had such a problem with mosquitoes and West Nile disease here last year, it really worries me for the kids and all of us. Bobby and Ava are like me and the mosquitoes are drawn to us.

Was hoping I would be up to making the 4 hour drive this weekend to Austin to see my little Oliver but after yesterday, I realize I can't handle that drive yet. Used to be able to fly there from Dallas for about $60 but those days are gone.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #362
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

I think Alex is getting into a rhythm..me, too..The method is called TR (tight regulation), as opposed to the willy nilly method. Just like a person diabetic, you test the blood before you give the shot (and give according to the blood sugar level). I have noticed that he is perkier and his fur looks a lot better. Yes, Buffy, I think they "know" when they need their shot..Cats are pretty smart..

Oh, Debby..Glad you have doctors who are trying to help you balance everything and you, too, Buffy...Even in the dark, they can use pencil and paper..

Sandy, you are right about finding something for dinner...We are having eggplant parmesan with some Italian sausage tonight. I suppose I should find a veggie..LOL.

I hate ticks..Oh, Judy..Sorry for you. My mother in law would make me take a bleach bath ( 1 cup of bleach) after any tick exposure..They itch like crazy, too..Not good.

Okay..I am sure KU will do great tonight.

Hugs all around...

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #363
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Oh, yeah, Carolyn! So glad you are on a role with Alex!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi there!

I went to the Dr. my tests came back normal today, so he says keep doing what I'm doing. Which means I have to alternate my dose every other day... 2 or 2.25 tabs & to just go by how I feel, he says. Sounds good to me. I'm amazed that one day made it come up to normal levels. Good thing he listened to me on the symptoms or I'd be going around in circles again! So close, maybe this will be it...

We started the day out with snow, then it was beautiful & sunny out (and is right now). On the way home I went through a snow-fall... funny.

Well, gotta do my hair, laundry, finish vacuuming & exercise the dog & myself! Oh my!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning
Carolyn, not sure but think Alex's care is as involved as Grants. Our neighbor has a diabetic cat that gets shots and then gets to eat a food he really likes afterwards so the cat will come and jump up on the stool for his shots. Sounds like you are doing a great job.

Visit to endocrinologist was interesting. The power went out right after I arrived but they kept seeing patients, just in the offices with windows, not the exam rooms, and, having to make notes on paper, instead of the laptops they all use now. Went well, will get blood tests back next week but told him my "story" of woe. He singled out 2 of the newer meds I am on as possible problems with my lethargy, etc etc so today I am going back to neurologist and will get in to see cardio dr. Next week to make changes. I was hoping I would adjust to the side effects since the BP med is working so well but his thoughts convinced me it was time to try some other med. he was about a 20 minute drive and by the time I went there, stopped at a store I was worn out. I did rest a while and met my dinner club friends but was home by 8:30 and by then, completely worn out.
I AM SO GLAD your doc is at least suggesting you look into different bp medications. This has been such a huge reversal of energy for you and it's not NEARLY as much fun for me! I do hope there is different effective bp medication without the side effects you are having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi ladies..

I think Alex is getting into a rhythm..me, too..The method is called TR (tight regulation), as opposed to the willy nilly method. Just like a person diabetic, you test the blood before you give the shot (and give according to the blood sugar level). I have noticed that he is perkier and his fur looks a lot better. Yes, Buffy, I think they "know" when they need their shot..Cats are pretty smart..

Oh, Debby..Glad you have doctors who are trying to help you balance everything and you, too, Buffy...Even in the dark, they can use pencil and paper..

Sandy, you are right about finding something for dinner...We are having eggplant parmesan with some Italian sausage tonight. I suppose I should find a veggie..LOL.

I hate ticks..Oh, Judy..Sorry for you. My mother in law would make me take a bleach bath ( 1 cup of bleach) after any tick exposure..They itch like crazy, too..Not good.

Okay..I am sure KU will do great tonight.

Hugs all around...
Well OSU just lost *sigh*.

I think we managed to avoid getting a tick - don't know how! I really wonder if they were already dead - it's been so cold here and is going to be cold all weekend... Yes, ticks are darned itchy.
Maybe these aren't ticks?? It's very very very odd, but I HAVE been known to make mistakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Hi there!

I went to the Dr. my tests came back normal today, so he says keep doing what I'm doing. Which means I have to alternate my dose every other day... 2 or 2.25 tabs & to just go by how I feel, he says. Sounds good to me. I'm amazed that one day made it come up to normal levels. Good thing he listened to me on the symptoms or I'd be going around in circles again! So close, maybe this will be it...

We started the day out with snow, then it was beautiful & sunny out (and is right now). On the way home I went through a snow-fall... funny.

Well, gotta do my hair, laundry, finish vacuuming & exercise the dog & myself! Oh my!
Is that even possible - that one day could make everything appear normal? Another thing I don't know....

That snowy walk sounds beautiful...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #366
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: charliesangel08
Hello ladies! Been lurking here and am thinking of trying EFGT, I am a former Lean 4 Lifer, and i gotta say, I was HUNGRY all the time! ANd the thought of taking appetite suppressants did not appeal to me. I have insulin resistance and know that LC is the way to go. Trying to get used to the notion of eating fat and lowering my protein, does anyone have any sample menus? Tips and tricks for the "sweet" cravings or going out to eat? Any help would be appreciated!
charliesangel08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesangel08 View Post
Hello ladies! Been lurking here and am thinking of trying EFGT, I am a former Lean 4 Lifer, and i gotta say, I was HUNGRY all the time! ANd the thought of taking appetite suppressants did not appeal to me. I have insulin resistance and know that LC is the way to go. Trying to get used to the notion of eating fat and lowering my protein, does anyone have any sample menus? Tips and tricks for the "sweet" cravings or going out to eat? Any help would be appreciated!
Charliesangel, You'll love the gals here, very helpful & chatty!
Yep, I'm with you, don't like hunger! Low carb is definitely my friend against hunger, blood sugar issues always made me hungry all the time too.
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #368

Good morning!!

It's 5:12 and I've been up checking Alex's blood. It is going well I think.

Charlie: I was on Lean 4 Life, too for a while. I did lose weight but I missed my fat from Atkins so I went back on years back. Are you on metformin? I am on 1500, two in the am and one at night and it really made a difference in weight loss. I go to a LC dr. And she thinks that all menopausal women should be on it.. I think L4L has more limited protein than EFGT. You should aim for 70-80 grams a day. Fats are easy to add in the form of salad oils , butter on veggies, etc. It's best to do some sort of online program to keep track of your food. Calories do count but we don't totally focus on them.

Big basketball day for KS.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #369
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Charliesangel,

Yes to all that has been said so far - using an online tracking program will help you figure things out quickly, if you aren't already using one.

If you can eat dairy, you will also be able to add lots of fat that way. I usually have a couple of eggs in the morning. If we have that big thick bacon, I might have a slice of that, too.

I eat breakfast late these days, so I'm not that hungry for lunch. I have frequently had chicken broth with an ounce or two of cream cheese and some slices of avocado. It sounds weird but it tastes delicious - feels like cheating.

Dinners seem very "normal". We have some type of meat with a couple of different non-starchy vegetables.

I like and can tolerate a variety of different artificial sweeteners, so I have enjoyed baking with almond flour, coconut flour, etc. There's a giant thread, but you can get the recipe in the first post - A Fantastic Flour Mix - that is turning out some wonderful formerly high-carb desserts, breads, breading, pie crust, cake.... amazing.
Let me know if you need a link or two.

Outside of that mix, there are lots of desserts in the recipe area - you can see if they fit in with your protein requirements. It made low carb so easy for me to be able to enjoy sweet things without the wheat and sugar.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #370
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Easy easy easy breakfast waffle:

1/4C. Almond meal or almond flour
1 egg
3/4 tsp baking powder
large pinch cinnamon (I usually omit this)
scant amount walnuts
2 capfuls Torani Vanilla, or any sweetener

- - -
COCONUT FLOUR PANCAKES (Kristn - Lowcarbfriends)

2 tbsp coconut flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder,
a pinch of salt
vanilla DaVinci syrup to thin the batter to the right consistency.

I fry them up in coconut oil and you can add more coconut oil to the batter to up the fat if you like.

My coconut flour has 1 gram of protein per tbs, so along with the eggs this is about 14 grams of protein per serving.
add butter and sugar free syrup
- - -
(I have never eaten the whole thing. Half of this is way plenty for me)
To the pancakes and even the waffle - I typically add an envelope or two of Truvia. I then still use the Torani or DaVinci vanilla sweetener, but might also add a little Hood Calorie Countodown milk. Or even a glug of cream - it takes a LONG time before you feel hungry again!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #371
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome Charliesangel, great to have you.

Glad our little Alex and Mommy are doing so well.

Saw Neurologist yesterday. Off anti seizure drug, told him I could deal with the mild headache left, no more drugs at this time. Had an MRI to check sinus cavities, came back normal so ruled out any blockage, rumors, etc.

Really think it is that one BP med, Bystolic, takes a long time to sort it all out but today I feel good that I am making progress. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Watched first season of TV series House of Cards, great series if you are looking for something to watch. They are filming season 2 now. Finished that and now watching Game of Thrones, it is ok, not usually my type of show but worth watching.

Going to see what new movies are out today.

Debbie, glad your results were good.

Judy, good rundown of how you eat daily and your resuts have been great!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #372
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!!
My doc put me on the lowest dose of Bystolic!!!!!!!
I have been taking it for only 2 weeks - just a day or two ago told my husband I could barely keep my eyes open (never happens for me. I am NEVER sleepy, darnit).

Is that the culprit?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #373

LOL..Buffy, we are all glad that you don't have any "rumors" in your head..Couldn't resist that one..But, we are very glad that you are off that med..

.....But, Judy is on one that makes her sleepy..Unless it is allergies..

Waiting for the Wildcats to play in a little while. Then Wichita is going to play Gonzaga (eeek) tomorrow..Yikes!!!

Making a deep dish pizza tonight.. I have some Italian sausage leftover and will add some pepperoni..Dh will be happy, especially if the Wildcats win this afternoon.

Brett had a girlfriend, Rebecca (love her) in high school..He broke it off, and she went to KU for 3 years came home and got married to Nathanael..They have one toddler and a baby on the way. Now, Nathanael is working at Brett's place as the IT guy..Brett likes him just fine, but it seems like God wants them to be friends..
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #374
Big Yapper!!!!

Bahahaha Carolyn, sure didn't catch that one, don't we always have rumors???

Yes, Brett and the GF's DH are destined to be friends I think.

Judy, what is your dosage of bystolic? I was on 40mg daily, see some people are on 2.5mg, so hoping yours is a low dose like that. My Dr. seemed to really like it so it must work well, yes, I guess it did. Are you taking it at bedtime? I read where someone suggested that. Good luck, maybe I can adjust to the smaller dosage if my BP stays down where it should.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #375
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SpoWa
Go Zags! Can't help it - they are from my hometown!

So we can agree that we want a great contest between 2 great teams, right?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/im...hands_2011.gif
SpoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought my doctor told me it was the lowest dose, but it wasn't.
I'm taking 5 mg.
And yes, I do take it at night. I have woken up for a couple of hours each night.

My BP is now normal, but my pulse is in the low 60s, according to my new bp cuff.
I was kind of hoping for some old medication instead of this $80 medication. I might ask for something different - to see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #377
Junior LCF Member

Thanks ladies for the info! Not currently on metformin (desperately trying to avoid it, henceforth losing weight and LC). I'm so STOKED about doing EFGT. I do keep track of my food , it's easy for me as its on my phone. I've been doing some variation of EFGT without realizing what it was called and went from 179 to this morning 168! Granted its taken my a few weeks (having a toddler I tend to nibble on those darn nuggets!) but I FEEL better. I know it's a lifelong change and that I'll have slip ups abd to not let that completely derail me.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #378
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesangel08 View Post
Thanks ladies for the info! Not currently on metformin (desperately trying to avoid it, henceforth losing weight and LC). I'm so STOKED about doing EFGT. I do keep track of my food , it's easy for me as its on my phone. I've been doing some variation of EFGT without realizing what it was called and went from 179 to this morning 168! Granted its taken my a few weeks (having a toddler I tend to nibble on those darn nuggets!) but I FEEL better. I know it's a lifelong change and that I'll have slip ups abd to not let that completely derail me.
Great start
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #379
Junior LCF Member

Question... I had issues with my gallbladder last year (inflammation but no stones) and so far on EFGT I haven't had any discomfort, however my question being is there anyone here who had issues with their gallbladder and doing/done EFGT with any issues? I'm hoping my gallbladder doesn't act up (seems to be only with fried foods)
Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #380
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have not any issues like that - no matter what.
So I'm no help there, sorry.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #381

Hi

Poor KSU. What a sad day. Next is KU. We will see.

I have no gallbladder. But before I had it out I did avoid the fat because it was hard to digest. But now there is no problem.

Yes, let's hope WSU/zags play well.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I feel your pain - as an OSU fan!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #383

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Poor KSU. Watching KU and hoping!!!
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #384

Hi gals

We always root for the Big 12. Gosh, OSU and KSU. both great teams.....Did OU lose? Well KU squeaked by and Iowa did well. Should be interesting.

Hope everyone, including Alex gets their meds regulated..Every time the UPS man comes, it is for Alex. Test strips, automatic feeder, special LC food, and his favorite toy. Da Bird. Good thing Dh is still working.

Made that deep dish pizza last night. It is one of my favorites.

Time to test the blood.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #385

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Squeaked by is right Carolyn. I thought I was going to die!!! Too nerve wracking for me, lol. I'm worried about Wichita State today but so far there's been so many upsets that who knows? I guess anything can happen.

You are a busy kitty doctor! And it sounds like it's working so that's good. And that's funny how taking care of Alex has affected your own routine/eating/planning too. I found that to always be true when I worked closely with my mom getting her to eat right. I had to practice what I was preaching, right?

We are dreading that big storm coming in tonight. Hopefully we'll miss it but I don't think that looks too promising. Although I haven't looked today.

You all have a great day. I doubt we watch too much B-ball today. Save up for tomorrow, lol.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #386

Hi

I found a wonderful site like this one for Diabetic cats. They only recommend wet cat food with <10 % carbs. Fancy Feast is a great choice and Alex loves it. So far no problem with my schedule, but I hope that he will be off the juice soon.

I think WSU will have its hands full.

I thought the storm was west of KCity. Stay safe.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #387
Always on, slightly off

My Tom is pleased with Iowa State!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Do you mean you'll be able to get him off insulin?
I think I've gotten it that Cindy was able to do that for one of hers, right?

That would be fantastic.

Making lupin flour lemon cookies (at long last)...
Very cold and dreary day - perfect cookie-making time!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #389
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Do you mean you'll be able to get him off insulin?
I think I've gotten it that Cindy was able to do that for one of hers, right?
Yes, but Noland was overweight. When I got weight off of him, I was able to get him off insulin.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #390

Yes, Judy..That is our goal to get him off insulin. 80 percent of diabetic cats can get off insulin by managing blood sugars closely and eating a LC plan..Where have we heard that?
Cats are people, too. Alex did lose 4 pounds, so he is a normal weight, so we don't have to worry about that.

So, we are ever hopeful. There is a wonderful board that has "coaches" to help you with the dosing, etc..They are amazing.

Anyone watching WSU tonight? I was glad ISU won, too..They are really good..Lots of 3 point shots that add up..LOL.