Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I'm back!!!!!!

My hair is the same color from the end of each strand clear down to the root, that only lasts about 24 hours so will enjoy it while I can. Then it starts the regrowth, but, I have to say that DDIL is soooo good that with her finally doing my haircolor, the regrowth is less noticeable than it has ever been. She works for an Aveda salad and is their top colorist, teaches others and only does color. She did go through school and is trained to cut, etc., but prefers to only color. So, usually one of her co-workers cuts my hair but I got brave and skipped the cut this time, we are (DDIL, CICI (the cutter) and I) have decided to let it get a little longer. DDIL wasn't even scheduled to work yesterday so her DS came over to watch Ollie long enough to allow Emily and I to run into the shop long enough for her to do my hair.

Debby, I grew up with 2 sisters and we cut each others hair for most of our growing up years. Even as adults, we gave each other home permanents clear up to when I moved away from Iowa. We did start getting cuts at the salon, we wern't very good at cutting. I still cut my own bangs, I like them messy looking, not straight, so it works out ok, just ok but I can't stand them when they get too long. I always tell Emily and Cici that I know they look better longer but they get to bugging me, so I whack em off. Got them a little too short this time, but, like Emily said, in 2 weeks they will be perfect

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Sandy, sure thinking of your little ones, you and your dad. Hoping you all get much, much better soon. Ended up little Ava who turns 3 tomorrow, had the flu, that was why she ran a fever for 3 days. She didn't feel too bad with it but yesterday I talked to a friend my age, she and her DH had the flu over Christmas and she said she can't remember being as sick as they were with this, was actully kind of worried on whether they were going to get over it. People "our" age kind of have to be very careful of these things. And, dummy me, I keep forgetting to get my flu shot!
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

MK, it took me a long time to get your family straight but I think I have them figured out now and then of course they all decided to leave home, so are scattered and now you have a Emily as well. Can see why Judy got confused, or............ is it because she is BLONDE?????
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #64
Big Yapper!!!!

Debbie and Cindy, I take biotin and have for several years. My hair was thinning and so I started taking biotin and sometimes other supplements if they say for hair, skin, nails and it seems that it has quit thinning. Didn't seem to get thicker again but I do think they can help. It has to come from the inside, KWIM, I don't usually believe claims from things that you apply topically. Can't say as it helped my nails. DDIL says I have a lot of hair, it is just soooo baby fine that to me it seems like I don't have thick hair.

I got home yesterday evening but was so tired I didn't get anything done. Today will get things put away, do a little laundry and I have a nail appt. and another appt. with the chiro, which I hope helps even more. The headaches still come and go almost every day. So, I think he helped me but am anxious to get another 2-3 treatments.

Ava turns 3 tomorrow, she is DD#2's little girl and her birthday party is at 4:00, after her nap. I ordered her a cinderella doll from Kohl's and it hasn't come yet , might be a late present but she will get several others tomorrow so it might even be better to give it to her later after the dust has settled. As usual this time of year, everyone is talking of the excess of kids today, how they have so many toys that they are just overwhelmed. Our family has tried to cut back and it still is excess. Good point, Ollie spent almost all of the day on Wed. when I babysat, playing with a plastic tub (the picture on FB). He first had to dump out all those dumb toys that were in it but he played and played with it. I told DS and DDIL that next year Santa should just spend the $5 and put a plastic tub under the tree

Before her party, I am picking up DD#3's MIL, who is visiting her from Canada and taking her to lunch and to the party with me. She has gotten on DD and DSIL's last nerve each so it is time for me to step up to the plate and get her out of the house . She is a nice enough person but way way way too nosy and gets into their business way more than she should and doesn't seem to ever get the hint. I have avoided her so far but do try to take her to lunch each time she comes to visit. And, to her, a visit must be at least 10 days or longer which drives DD batty. I used to try to take her shopping, she loves to shop and loves to shop here, but let me tell you, you haven't met a shopper until you have met this woman. She can spend hours in each store and the final straw with me was the time she spent over an hour trying to decide whether to get the white capris or the black capris? WT? Get em both, get a gray pair, whoooooo cares????? Just buy something and let's get out of here.....
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, sorry for all the reading material today, just skip past but since I didn't get to post much, I have a lot to say, hahaha.

Carolyn and Judy, thanks for testing out the ATkins products. The pot pie sounds like what I will try first. Judy, like you, I do NOT like any of the products that taste like protein powder. Would rather eat 1 small square of real chocolate that a big bar like that.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
MK, it took me a long time to get your family straight but I think I have them figured out now and then of course they all decided to leave home, so are scattered and now you have a Emily as well. Can see why Judy got confused, or............ is it because she is BLONDE?????

I knew would come back and make us laugh!!

Emily is going to help me straighten out MK's family.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
She has gotten on DD and DSIL's last nerve each so it is time for me to step up to the plate and get her out of the house . She is a nice enough person but way way way too nosy and gets into their business way more than she should and doesn't seem to ever get the hint. I have avoided her so far but do try to take her to lunch each time she comes to visit. And, to her, a visit must be at least 10 days or longer which drives DD batty. I used to try to take her shopping, she loves to shop and loves to shop here, but let me tell you, you haven't met a shopper until you have met this woman. She can spend hours in each store and the final straw with me was the time she spent over an hour trying to decide whether to get the white capris or the black capris? WT? Get em both, get a gray pair, whoooooo cares????? Just buy something and let's get out of here.....
My DH and I like our DD32's in-laws for the most part, but they have become quite forceful in our presence for their family's Christmas & Thanksgiving and all... we are already pretty stretched out...but I don't want to make anything bad for our DD, so we're negotiating those things delicately. We'll eventually bow out as long as there's no huge blow-up.

I would talk more but Buffy took up all the space.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post

Hey, I resemble that remark I have lost over 15 lbs since Sept. and about 60 lbs since May 2008, don't you DARE say I took up all the space!!!! Or wait, I am blonde too, did you mean "that" kind of space .

Sigh, back to that hated saying, "but, but, you are just a big girl" Next it will be "but you have such a pretty face" and then "even with all those wrinkles you now have" Bahahahahaa

you Judy!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hey, I resemble that remark I have lost over 15 lbs since Sept. and about 60 lbs since May 2008, don't you DARE say I took up all the space!!!! Or wait, I am blonde too, did you mean "that" kind of space .

Sigh, back to that hated saying, "but, but, you are just a big girl" Next it will be "but you have such a pretty face" and then "even with all those wrinkles you now have" Bahahahahaa

you Judy!!!
Buffy!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

When I weighed this morning and saw 183, I was thankful that I was just up a smidgen from my 182. something that I had weighed last. Then looked at my siggy and realized that 182.something had never happened and that 183 was a new low for me.

Choir singing.......
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
When I weighed this morning and saw 183, I was thankful that I was just up a smidgen from my 182. something that I had weighed last. Then looked at my siggy and realized that 182.something had never happened and that 183 was a new low for me.

Choir singing.......

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
That is really amazing with traveling and being away from home...
So good, Buffy!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Potato Free Potato Salad
(some people call this egg salad )

Hard boiled eggs, cut up
Chopped onion
Mayo
Regular mustard
White vinegar
Liquid splenda
Ground pepper, pinch of salt

This is how I used to make potato salad and everyone loved my potato salad. I did used to use sugar though instead of splenda in the dressing. I could never get my egg salad to taste as good as I wanted it too using just mayo and salt and pepper, finally figured out to use my old potato salad dressing and voila, it is so yummy. I also use a lot of dressing in mine, so it is almost soupy.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Potato Free Potato Salad

Hard boiled eggs, cut up
Chopped onion
Mayo
Regular mustard
White vinegar
Liquid splenda

This is how I used to make potato salad and everyone loved my potato salad. I did used to use sugar though instead of splenda in the dressing. I could never get my egg salad to taste as good as I wanted it too using just mayo and salt and pepper, finally figured out to use my old potato salad dressing and voila, it is so yummy. I also use a lot of dressing in mine, so it is almost soupy.
We are BIG egg salad fans here - and this is nearly my recipe, too. I haven't added splenda or sweetener before. I might try a touch on one bite to see if I'd like it. I am lazy and have often used onion powder instead of onions. The older I've gotten the less I like raw onions.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm afraid I love the raw onions in them and then I am so afraid that I smell like a big ole onion. I sometimes am lazy and use the flakes but I really like the chopped onion.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm afraid I love the raw onions in them and then I am so afraid that I smell like a big ole onion. I sometimes am lazy and use the flakes but I really like the chopped onion.
<--- LAZY AWARD goes to Judy.
NOT even the flakes - the POWDER!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #76
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh wow, you are right, it takes a lot more energy to shake those flakes out of the container than the powder, you are a lazy one.

Guess Judy is right about me taking up all the space, where is everyone today?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
I'm here!

It takes all my energy to read all your posts today. It's hard to catch up.

Just sent Dh to Costco to pick up a few things. He goes strictly by the list and I can't seem to stay as strict. Love that place and browse everything.

My Dr. has moved to another place in town so we are going to check out just where she's at now. That will come a little later after a walk with the fur kids.

That's about all for my boring life. Such as it be. Having fun reading your banter.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

Sharon, love your new profile picture, you look very cute in that picture, like you are ready for Easter!!!
I just tried the Kirkland broccoli cheese soup I got at Costco, very good. I think it is like 3 carbs per cup so pretty LC.

I promise that when I grow up, I won't be as silly as I am now.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sharon - cute profile update!

Question: Do you all take melatonin?
How much?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #80
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Have some water weight today...1.8 pounds..I had to have some Tostitos cuz of the Tostito Bowl....too bad KSU lost.. Not a bad game, though

I'm boiling the turkey carcass for soup tonight..It was taking up lots of freezer room.

Oh..I need to try that No Potato Salad with eggs, Buffy..Dh loves mustard. Sometimes I like to use the green onions for a milder flavor..Or I have also grated some onion for a bit of juice..

I do take melatonin from time to time..I think it is 5 mg..I think it does help.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #81
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
*whew*
DS's trip/school is already wearing me out!
Are any of us going to talk about how cute Father Mittens' name is?
How many days is DS in Belize?

Debby that's a great picture!! Nice cut!
I still have my 8th grade haircut and I am scared to death to cut my own hair.

I love Fr Mittens name!!

He'll be there for 10 days.

And 8th grade must have been a good year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I take biotin. 5000 mg a day. I'm pretty sure it helps a lot.
How do you know how much to take??
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
(Re: Biotin - Cindy takes 5000mg/day)

How do you know how much to take??
I'd like to know that, too. I would like to add it to my list.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I do take melatonin from time to time..I think it is 5 mg..I think it does help.
Carolyn - DEFINITELY water weight and it'll disappear quickly!

Thank you - my skinny sister says she takes Melatonin every night and thinks it helps a lot.

I tried it about 20 years ago with no success. Maybe 25 years ago after they banned L-tryptophan which I loved. I think it's possible to get tryptophan again - I'll have to check. But if melatonin is a good thing I'd like to try it.
Thanks, and I'm open for any other amount.

---
Edited to add - I see netrition carries L-tryptophan and shopping around quickly I think they have the best price, so I'll add that to my next order.

----
Editing again: Cindy is that 5000 mcg biotin?

Last edited by JMCM1; 01-04-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #84

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I woke up late today feeling much better. So I tried to get caught up on a few things that I've needed to do. One of them was to go get Dad's laundry and wash and dry it. I'll take it back to him tomorrow. He's doing great! Should be released Monday afternoon or Tuesday sometime. Home health will come in for a while. I don't really think he needs it but he enjoys their company, lol.

I love egg salad but I have never added sugar/sweetener either. I'll have to try it next time.

I bought a new scale at Aldi today. It's supposed to measure your weight, water, fat, muscle and bone! Now I have to figure out how to use it, lol. It was only $15 so I decided to splurge, haha.

I was back down to 141.8 this a.m. so that made me feel good.

I checked out the Atkins meals at Walmart. They only had 3 kinds left! $3.48 each, so not too bad. For those of you who've tried them, are the servings a generous size? I didn't buy any b/c the ones they had didn't really entice me. I'd like to try the pot pie one, Yum!!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #85
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Can see why Judy got confused, or............ is it because she is BLONDE?????

Quote:
DDIL says I have a lot of hair, it is just soooo baby fine that to me it seems like I don't have thick hair.
Maybe you have fine hair, but a lot of it!!

Quote:
She can spend hours in each store and the final straw with me was the time she spent over an hour trying to decide whether to get the white capris or the black capris? WT? Get em both, get a gray pair, whoooooo cares????? Just buy something and let's get out of here.....
Oh Jeez - that would make me crazy!!

Quote:

I know - what's with that??

Quote:

you Judy!!!
Yeah, me too!

Quote:

Choir singing.......

Quote:
Potato Free Potato Salad

Hard boiled eggs, cut up
Chopped onion
Mayo
Regular mustard
White vinegar
Liquid splenda

Love that - I make egg salad a lot ~ can't wait to make it now!

Quote:

Guess Judy is right about me taking up all the space, where is everyone today?
trying . . . to . . .get . . a . . word . . . in . . . *struggle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbrihil View Post

That's about all for my boring life. Such as it be. Having fun reading your banter.
Not boring at.all!

Quote:

I promise that when I grow up, I won't be as silly as I am now.

Quote:
Sharon - cute profile update!

Question: Do you all take melatonin?
How much?
I've never taken it - I sleep like a rock most of the time!

Sandy - so glad you're better!

I've lost 2 lbs since Tuesday!!
Now if I can just be good tonight - We're going to a friend's for "wine and conversation" but since I'm not drinking, I found a fizzy lemony drink to take for me, and DH doesn't like wine, so he'll have beer . . .

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #86
Princess Proofreader

Day 3, Friday January 4, 2013

Community Baboon Sanctuary, Traditional Creole Lunch
 Breakfast at Monkey Bay
 Transfer to Community Baboon Sanctuary (CBS) for day tour of museum
and guided hike through sanctuary for medicinal plants ID and wildlife
viewing. Suggested reading material in preparation for CBS entitled, “A
Belizean Rainforest” by Dr. Rob Horwich and Jon Lyon (Gays Mill, WI.) A
ecture from Dr. Colin Young is scheduled in the morning at 10:30am in
the education center at CBS, as Bermudian Landing Village where CBS is
located is his hometown. He will touch on protected areas and
conservation in Belize, his work in that area, and a brief history of CBS,
with his father
 Mid-day meal with Ms. Edna Baptist, Creole style prepared over the fire
hearth and served at her backyard café.
 Natural History museum tour, presentation on history of CBS
 Guided tour of sanctuary forest edges to view Black howler monkeys in
the wild with onsite lectures
 Return to Monkey Bay for dinner and over night
 Evening Lecture Pine savannahs and discussion of days activities

Accommodations: Monkey Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

Would love to be on that trip with DS. Why didn't he take all of his EFGT mothers???

I take melatonin and biotin, will try to remember to check the amounts and post them. I also sometimes take Valerian, various things to help me fall asleep. I switch things around so that my body doesn't get used to them and ignore them.

Sandy, glad your Dad is doing great. Aldi's sells things like scales? We just got an Aldi's, it is a small grocery store, do they have bigger ones that sell more things? That sounds like a neat scale.

Love the Mittens name too, anything to do with cats, I love it. Hmm, what am I thinking, that has nothing to do with cats , but, it rhymes with kittens!

Sandy, good job on the weight and Carolyn, I swear, chips see you coming and automatically add lbs to your body.

Bought some parsnips today, have never fixed them before, so off to figure out how and hope I can make them taste something like a potato.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #88
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, guess I should have done my homework before shopping. I thought I had read about parsnips being low in carbs, now I find out that they are high in carbs , wonder where I saw something to make me think they were a LC veggie. Glad I only got 2 small ones.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #89

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Buffy, you're remembering that Little Golden Book, "The Three Little Kittens They Lost Their Mittens". My DD loved that book!!! I'm sure I read it a ba-zillion times, lol. No, our Aldi is the same size. They just have limited things shipped in for weekly sales. Like the scales....when they're gone, they're gone. Probably until this time next year when they'll sell them again. Kind of seasonal type things. And they sell out very quickly of most of those items. And the sales start on Wed. I think.

MK, what is your DS majoring in? I think his trip sounds very interesting too.

I take melatonin sometimes. It tends to make me dream weird stuff though. And I'm a weird dreamer anyway, so sometimes it's just too much.
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #90
Princess Proofreader

I think it's turnips that are lower in carbs . . . .