Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #331
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Run over to the Recipe Help and suggestions thread, new recipe for dumplngs!!!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Run over to the Recipe Help and suggestions thread, new recipe for dumplngs!!!
Cannot believe this - I was about to tell you all to go to Buttoni's website for her dumpling recipe. It looks SO good! I'll see if this is the same one.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Has anyone tried the flaxmeal waffles that Maria does with the golden flax seed? I have to say they are a keeper! We had them for lunch today and loved how they turned out. So good and satisfying. Didn't miss the flour at all.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #334
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Cannot believe this - I was about to tell you all to go to Buttoni's website for her dumpling recipe. It looks SO good! I'll see if this is the same one.
I think so, so said it was on her website, but, she also said she had another one on there where you had to bake the dumplings.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #335
Big Yapper!!!!

Sharon, can you post the recipe you used or direct us? I have tried several, with ok results.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here it is:

"HEALTHIFIED" WAFFLES:
1 cup fresh ground flax meal
4 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp baking powder
2 TBS SWERVE (or 1 tsp stevia glycerite)
1 tsp cinnamon
OPTIONAL: 3 TBS cream cheese (for a great flavor)

In a large bowl mix the flax meal and baking powder. In a small pan, melt butter (and cream cheese, if adding) over a low flame. In a small bowl, pour in mixer and whisk in eggs, and milk. Add the cinnamon and Stevia, whisking well. Add wet ingredients to the dry. Using a soup ladle, scoop about 2-3 T of the mixture into your waffle iron. Serve with Nature's Hollow Syrup, click HERE to find.

These turned out way better than expected! Nice and crispy. I made a batch of these and froze them to put in the toaster for easy breakfasts. Make sure your waffle iron is HOT HOT HOT and you will need to bake them for about 3 extra minutes for each waffle. Makes 8 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Waffles = 206 calories, 6.5g fat, 4g protein, 35 carbs, 1g fiber
"Healthified" Waffles = 155 calories, 14g fat, 6g protein, 4.4 carbs, 4.1g fiber! (0.3 effective carbs)

Sharon
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #337
Big Yapper!!!!

For some reason I thought you said muffins, I am going to get a small waffle iron, some of these waffle recipes look so good and I miss "crisp".
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Sharon!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
For some reason I thought you said muffins, I am going to get a small waffle iron, some of these waffle recipes look so good and I miss "crisp".
You and me both!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #340
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
All of the above posts made me chuckle. I love chuckling!!! This is such a fantastic group, I'm so thankful to be here among you all.
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
OH good news, good news!
Thank you for checking in. I hope this is a one-day or just a few-hour reaction to that shot and that you haven't already been exposed to the flu.
I do hope your DH is better or can let you know how he is.

It's SLEETING!
DH and I just got back from a quick trip at the store, where we saw nearly every other member of our community because cold weather is coming in so everybody go to the store at once!
Yes! I'm so grateful! I just finished my work-out. Was actually able to do it, although I can tell my system is somewhat disturbed. Guess I'm getting some "sympathy" for what DH is going through.

Its amazing, this cold-front. Hope it doesn't last too long. Brrr!!!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #342

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies.

It is always good to chuckle. LoL. My dds Sundance blog makes me chuckle,too. She envisions meeting all these famous peeps and took a picture of the back of some famous person's head in the van. I will find the name as I don't know any actors under 40.

Ohhhhh. Those dumplings looked mighty fine and so few calories. A netrition order is in my future.

Dh decided he wants to take his lunch to work. $123 later, I think we are ready for the first week. Of course that included a nice thermal carrier and some assorted containers. Lololo
I told he was in charge of packing his lunch. Aren't I mean???

Checked on FB It was Jordan Catalano from My So calledLife.

Last edited by CarolynF; 01-12-2013 at 06:01 PM..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #343
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
All of the above posts made me chuckle. I love chuckling!!! This is such a fantastic group, I'm so thankful to be here among you all.
You all are THE BEST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Yes! I'm so grateful! I just finished my work-out. Was actually able to do it, although I can tell my system is somewhat disturbed. Guess I'm getting some "sympathy" for what DH is going through.
I totally understand - but at least you are much better so can handle whatever you need to with DH. It's too hard when both of you are down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi ladies.

It is always good to chuckle. LoL. My dds Sundance blog makes me chuckle,too. She envisions meeting all these famous peeps and took a picture of the back of some famous person's head in the van. I will find the name as I don't know any actors under 40.

Ohhhhh. Those dumplings looked mighty fine and so few calories. A netrition order is in my future.

Dh decided he wants to take his lunch to work. $123 later, I think we are ready for the first week. Of course that included a nice thermal carrier and some assorted containers. Lololo
I told he was in charge of packing his lunch. Aren't I mean???

Checked on FB It was Jordan Catalano from My So calledLife.
DH is a grown person who surely knows better what he wants for lunch than you do! You have obviously been cooking delicious things he wants to eat again at lunch - it's really your fault! LOL

I don't know any actors under the age of 50, I'm sure. Your DD is seeing stars and I am too ignorant to be impressed! That must really be fun, though - I'm so glad for her having a fun job!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #344

My dad always packed his own lunch, so I can tell him that he needs to follow in his footsteps..

Dh's lunches will probably be pickles, olives, nuts, cheese, and meat. If we have some leftovers, I bought a little container that he can microwave..I give it two weeks..LOL
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #345
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SpoWa
Hi Debby

Earlier today you mentioned a cereal mix you make that lasts a week. Would you be kind enough to post your recipe? I am often challenged in the AM for something different to fix! Thanks!

Cindy
SpoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #346

Hi ladies.

Two days in a row I have been at 149. Can this be my new reality???

Brrrr. Poor Evan stepping back to the frigid north. MK, enjoy the day with him.

Anyone knitting??? I finished a hoodie for a little guy, but think he will have to grow into it. So I started a simple pullover.

Everyone enjoy DA tonight. I'm sick of Bates being in prison.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoWa View Post
Hi Debby

Earlier today you mentioned a cereal mix you make that lasts a week. Would you be kind enough to post your recipe? I am often challenged in the AM for something different to fix! Thanks!

Cindy
Hi Cindy!

I know Debby will answer. She might not be eating the same way you are - I think she eats more carbs and that is fine if that is how you are eating.

Here is something our friend Carolyn posted a few weeks ago that was very good - it was just a good hot cereal.

Carolyn’s hot cereal

Get some water boiling in a kettle...

In a cereal bowl mix 1/3 cup or less of golden flaxseed meal
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
cinnamon
2 Tbsp. pecan meal or almond meal
touch of salt

Then add your boiling water slowly and stir until it is the texture you want.
You can add the sweetener after it is all put together to get it right..
Add some chopped nuts if you like.

I poured a couple of Tbs. of heavy cream over it and there it was.
Quick and easy and different than eggs...

- - -

I'm going to make these waffles right now. The thread has RAVE reviews.
Forgive me for not having this exactly as it was originally shown. When I find a recipe I usually read through and read the critiques and note the changes on my recipe, but both the original and the change will be shown.

- - - - -
Even people who would gag if you TOLD them they were low carb think these are excellent waffles!

BettyR's Amazing Waffles

Preheat your waffle iron.

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed
3 eggs
2 pkt. Splenda (or vanilla DaVinci)
1 tsp. or pkt. Stevia Plus <-- (can probably use vanilla Davinci + 1 pkt or 2 of Truvia)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (since I don't use wheat, will use 1/4 cup coconut flour + 1/2 tsp. glucomannan)
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup cream (or use Hood’s CC)
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (or Colby/Jack)
1 tsp. vanilla (may omit if using later for sandwiches)

Put all ingredients into a food processor; process until smooth. Open processor and scrape down the sides with a spatula, then process another 60 seconds. The batter will be VERY thick - do NOT thin it down!

Place a heaping tablespoon (the kind you eat cereal with, not a measuring spoon) of batter into each waffle section of the iron and cook as you would regular waffles.

Makes 7 large waffles, approx. 3.6 carbs each

You can reduce the calories by using part-skim ricotta cheese in place of cream cheese and Hood's LC milk in place of the cream, if you like.

I don't bother to put the sweetener in because we use the leftovers like bread for sandwiches.

Last edited by JMCM1; 01-13-2013 at 06:47 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #348
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Judy, thanks for Betty's waffle recipe, after reading about it on the other thread, I was going to go look it up, of course will probably go look for that thread anyway, sounded like a good one.

Well, yesterday was the day that I was supposed to come off the really high dose of advil 3 times a day to 2 times a day and today, I am supposed to go to half dose, 400 twice a day and woke up and the headache is back. It was pretty good on 800 every 8 hours. I am disappointed to say the least but I am sure 800 3 times per day is too hard on my tummy, I will ask my Dr. about that on Monday. The advil for the headache is to help with the inflamation that this has caused in the back of my head so still hoping beyond hope that 2 weeks of advil helps this inflamtion heal. If not, then the steroid shot there. I asked the neurosurgeon why not just go with the shot to begin with and she said "less invasive". Now I am wishing they had just gone with the shot to begin with. BP 153/103 this morning. So, will be another at home, quiet day. I have some bills that must be paid, just hoping I haven't let some of them go past due but I have only ignored my desk for a little over a week now.

Carolyn, I wish I knitted. I used to crochet and have thought about starting that up again, maybe I could make Ava some little doll clothes, I am always at a loss at what to make but I used to love doing it. My grandmother who taught me used to make those fancy doilies that you starched up and they stood up in ripples, very pretty but not in fashion these days. I like the yarn better, goes faster haha.

Thanks for the reminder that it is DA night, made my morning to read that. Wish it were 2 hours again.

I could have set Gary up with everything but food for his lunches. When I worked for the FEMA call center, our building was a little away from things and we only had 30 minute lunch breaks, so we had to bring our lunches. During times when there was a new incident going on and we were working like crazy and usually overtime, the head of the agency would usually give a talk about how we needed to use our lunch times to get away, relax, etc. Of course he/or she never remembered that unlike themselves and the supervisors, we didn't have an hour or more to relax over lunch. We had to log out and back in with our phones to even go to the bathroom and you were reprimanded if you were a minute over your break period. We would just stand there and wonder why they were wasting our time giving us this pep talk
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #349
Big Yapper!!!!

MK is a happy Mommy today, can't wait to hear about the trip and what he thought of it all.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoWa View Post
Hi Debby
Cindy
Hi Cindy,
Judy was right, I am not following the same kind of diet, so it would be inappropriate to post my recipe here. I can send it to you in a message if you don't mind higher carbs. Let me know.
Quote:
Hi Cindy!
I know Debby will answer. She might not be eating the same way you are - I think she eats more carbs and that is fine if that is how you are eating.
Thanks Judy
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Hi Cindy,
Judy was right, I am not following the same kind of diet, so it would be inappropriate to post my recipe here. I can send it to you in a message if you don't mind higher carbs. Let me know.
Thanks Judy
Oh Debby (someone correct me if I am wrong) I think it's fine to post what you're doing! It may not be our exact way of eating, but I know Cindy doesn't necessary eat low carb either. Even so, some people can simply tolerate more carbs than others.

I'm interested in what EVERYbody is eating!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Betty R's famous waffles - the texture of these is SPOT ON.
Next time I'll add some spices and/or more vanilla. Gracious me these are very good as they are, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waffles - Betty R Famous 1-13-13.jpg (101.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by JMCM1; 01-13-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #353
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Oh Debby (someone correct me if I am wrong) I think it's fine to post what you're doing! It may not be our exact way of eating, but I know Cindy doesn't necessary eat low carb either. Even so, some people can simply tolerate more carbs than others.

Absolutely, we are friends first, WOE comes in 2nd, 3rd, oh heck, somewhere in there
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #354
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Betty R's famous waffles - the texture of these is SPOT ON.
Next time I'll add some spices and/or more vanilla. Gracious me these are very good as they are, though.
Are those your pics Judy? I trust your judgement on recipes. I have to go to Kohls tomorrow so for the sake of convenience, was just going to buy a waffle iron there, well, looked at their site and most of them are online only. Guess good ole Wally World will probably be my best bet.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy I see a steroid shot in your future. They need to get that pain knocked down so everything else can settle down.

Now if I had only gone to medical school I'd have a lot more opinions, but this will have to do for now. Honestly, I don't like thinking of you dealing with that pain & hbp.

Question for you all, my skinny sister (weight 110, height about 5'3") is the one who was diagnosed pre-diabetic several months ago. She started following Dr. Gundry's way of eating. I don't really know what that entails, but it is definitely low carb.

My SS was hypoglycemic nearly all her life and I had read she might actually be more likely to have diabetes. Our dad was type II.

My cute smart 84-yr-old mother had us over yesterday morning for a breakfast brunch for my darling niece, now age 27. She made Carolyn's creamy breakfast casserole, I made the biscuits I might have told you about from another thread - OH it's ouizoid's fabulous basic flour recipe, and everything else was high carb pecan rolls, sausage rolls, bready items.

My SS indulged in the high carb items and has finally gotten a blood glucose meter. After only 1 hour her bs was 135. I'm trying to remember what is acceptable for non-diabetics. I know most people recommend testing after 2 hours, but I have seen several authorities insist 1-1/2 hours is the time, blah blah blah.

Anyhoozle, we had to leave and I don't think she tested at a later time UNTIL she started getting low. She texted me "bs 64". 30 minutes later "bs 54."

So she ate a bunch of candy and then followed up with a bunch of nuts.

I asked her to please let me know her bg this morning. She was good and went to church and choir and I stayed home to make waffles and finish up my files so eventually I'll be truly "off work." So I don't know her fbg.

Does 135 1 hour after a carby meal make anyone's eyebrows raise?

I know sometimes you can do everything right and still need medication and it still pays to try to do everything right... just wondering.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Are those your pics Judy? I trust your judgement on recipes. I have to go to Kohls tomorrow so for the sake of convenience, was just going to buy a waffle iron there, well, looked at their site and most of them are online only. Guess good ole Wally World will probably be my best bet.
Yes, that's my picture.
Be aware they brown up VERY quickly.
My DH ate 3 of them, quite out of the norm for him.
He's usually such a dainty eater!

Again- they were a little neutral, but nice. If you like spices (I do) add what you might normally add to your waffles. Or definitely add more vanilla. EDITING TO ADD I took the picture, posted it and NOW am eating them. I had tasted them fresh out of the waffle iron and thought they were good, or OK. THESE ARE REALLY REALLY GOOD.

REALLY GOOD.

Buffy I found that waffle thread because I was stalking you! (again!)
You all know where the best food is.
I might enjoy weighing 10 pounds less than I do right now, but I really like enjoying my food and weighing 20 pounds less than I did in June of 2012!

My waffle iron is a 20-yr-old Williams Sonoma Belgian waffler.
I actually prefer the old-fashioned flat wafflers that make crisp waffles.
I have a giant old waffler that I can only use in my garage because it smokes so much! LOL - but it makes the old-fashioned crisp kind.
Too cold for that today, but I can see it in the future.

Buffy did you post here how someone is using a much simpler recipe (almond flour and a couple of other things) to make waffles for sandwich bread? Brilliant!

I wish JessBunny was still posting. She had lots of allergies, but I do not think coconut flour was among them, and these waffles should do the trick. I remember she was wishing for some waffles and couldn't quite get the right recipe.

Honestly - I adore all of you!

Last edited by JMCM1; 01-13-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Absolutely, we are friends first, WOE comes in 2nd, 3rd, oh heck, somewhere in there

TRUE!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #358
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks!
I just think it would be "confusing" for someone "lurking" to see the wrong combo listed as a recipe here.
Quote:
Thanks Buffy
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #359
Big Yapper!!!!

Hmmm, on SS. Ok, I was having a lot of hypo symptoms before I was diagnosed as being type 2 and I guess that is very common. Did they put her on anything or is she just trying to do LC? If she does LC correctly, she can probably stay off meds for quite some time, maybe so, maybe not. 135 after a carby meal doesn't concern me as much as 54, that is very low to the point she probably wasn't feeling well at all. If she ate the candy and then nuts afterwards, that probably brought her back up to normal or a little high again.

Sounds like she is trying Judy but eating the carby things, then going too low and eating candy is not exactly doing everything right, but you know that. If she is going to control it with diet, it isn't very un-forgiving in allowing you to jump on and off the wagon. How do I know this??? Uh, 4 years of doing exactly that . Although sometimes I followed LC and got good control, I could not have enough will power to stick with it and finally just took the easy route and got on the meds, although part of that was my doctor convincing me that the meds would help my body from progressing on the diabetes and having damage from it. And, even though he would ask if I was watching my carbs, he was happy enough with my A1C that he didn't lecture me.

One of my DD's was asking me the other day what I thought made the major difference of me being able to stick to it this time. You know what it was? Not being aware of the damage I was causing my body/organs by letting my BS go up and down and allowing the meds to keep it in somewhat of a decent state, oh no, I guess I am not smart enough to have that be enough motivation. It was the constant state of getting one urinary tract infection after another, for almost a YEAR before I finally decided that I HAD to stick to this. So, when you have those silent warnings, you still can ignore them, but for me, constant discomfort was what it took and still now, whenever I think of cheating, I remember how uncomfortable those UTI symptoms are and having to call my Dr. over and over to tell him I had yet another UTI, especially knowing that I was partly causing it all.

We have all seen people with wake up calls who are divided into 2 camps. The ones who see the light, are very strong willed, make the changes and stick to them, and then the majority who try to make the changes but soon slip back into thier old habits and likely as not, end up in as bad or worse condition than they were.

BTW, just talked to one of my DSisters last night. Once again, he doctor told her she was getting higher and higher BS numbers and her BP was higher yet. She took the extra BP medicine and is supposed to lose weight, which her Dr. says will help lower the BS numbers but she is content in telling me she doesn't have diabetes. I KNOW just exactly where she is but I also know she isn't going to change until it actually happens. And, let me tell you, she is the smart one, just not ready to make that lifestyle change yet. They are much more social than DH and I and it would be a major lifestyle change for her.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried my first attempt at meatloaf yesterday and it came out pretty good without the bread crumbs. I added ground up mushrooms and onions to the mix instead. Added 2 eggs but think I could have had one and it would have been ok. I had a pound of meat. This was a little crumbly but the taste was there and I was happy with that. Will defiantly make that again.

I have a belgian waffle maker too but like it. You flip this one over each time. These waffles I made yesterday were a cake like texture because I made sure I had the flax mixed in well and it absorbed the liquid some. They were really good tasting!