Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: charlieboo
Stats: 275/145/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: october 2012
what happens if?.....

Newbie here....been lurking for a while and ive learned so much from this group/forum but my question is this...may sound stupid or can probably tell im a newbie but what happens if I have trouble or a rough time getting my body to convert to using fat as its main source of energy. Ive seen from reading around the bulleti n here that some people have more trouble than others so what if this happens....what happens to all this fat im eating if my body refuses to convert? This fat is going to get stored on my body as additional unwanted fat right?

Last edited by charlieboo; 11-10-2012 at 01:50 PM..
charlieboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
No..as long as your carbs are low/low and you aren't eating tons of calories, you should be fine.

It can take as much as 2 weeks to be a fat burner..2 weeks of clean eating.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aliciamorgan
You can eat more and lose weight. The key is to eat mini-meals every 2.5 to 3 hours, keeping your body fueled and your metabolism humming.
aliciamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lidia
Hi!
The idea of this whole zero or low carb eating is getting your body into a state of "ketosis". Basically what happens is the following: Your body uses carbs as fuel. When your body seeks carbs for fuel and finds that the body has none or little amount of carbs, it will use the fat as fuel. Your body is then, in a state of ketosis . You can tell if your body is in ketosis (in other words, using the fat) by using "Ketone Test Strips". They are sold at most drugstores (athough, where I live I had to order them at Walmart's online site). They should cost no more than $10 for a box of about 50 test strips. These test strips should be passed through your urine (I do it first thing in the morning) and depending at what level of ketosis you're at, the strip will change colors indicating if you are in ketosis or not. The colors range from pale beige (meaning, no ketones in your urine ), to peach (meaning traces of ketones in your urine ), to pink and all the way to dark purple (meaning srtong ketosis ). Once you have ketones in your urine, you are definately burning up your fat for fuel. I use this as an emotional motivator. Sometimes, even though your on the low carb diet and haven't cheated, the scale will sometimes not show weight loss or even show a pound or two more. This is due to body fluctuations in water weight. When this would happen to me, I would really feel frustrated. Now, by using ketone test strips, I prove to myself that my body is shrinking in size and not gaining weight, as the scale might portray One word of advise: Pay more attention to how your clothes are feeling on you and not what the scales says. You will definately lose weight if you keep with low carb, regardless of what your scale is telling you. Sometimes you might plateau and it can last from 1 week to maybe even 6 weeks (happened to me). But you must persist and weight loss will begin again . Again, ketone strips helped me a lot through that frustrating time. I hope this helped! Good luck!!
Lidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
This is a good article to explain it.

Yes, a Low-Carb Diet Greatly Lowers Your Insulin | DietDoctor.com
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosie Posie
Stats: 254/231/155
WOE: Low Carb, Gluten Free Mix (moving towards Paleo)
Start Date: April 2012
I like the ketone strips as well, but I have read that after awhile when your body adjusts you may not show ketones in your urine (meaning no colour change on the sticks) but you're still in ketosis. You're just using all of your ketones for fuel so none are left for urine. So don't get too upset if the keto stix aren't changing colour after awhile.
Rosie Posie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lidia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Posie View Post
I like the ketone strips as well, but I have read that after awhile when your body adjusts you may not show ketones in your urine (meaning no colour change on the sticks) but you're still in ketosis. You're just using all of your ketones for fuel so none are left for urine. So don't get too upset if the keto stix aren't changing colour after awhile.
Oh! I didn't know that! God to know!!
Lidia is offline   Reply With Quote