Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #241
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
My LC doctor actually emailed me back in a matter of hours..This is what she said..Might help someone here with the water intake..

Dear Carolyn, Fine to increase metformin to 2 daily, if no nausea or diarrhea, some folks have that short term if they start with the higher dose first, but usually improves in 7 – 10 days. The dose range for dysmetabolic syndrome is 500 to 2000mg, so we have some wiggle room. I think AM and PM would be good. We can put in an updated dose at the pharmacy, since you will run out sooner. I will put that in the Mercy Pharmacy computer. Sometimes is a gradual improvement over 4-6 weeks. I would suggest keeping calories in the weight loss range of your test, 1200-1300 cal/day, with 20-25 gms of carbs most days and 75-100 gms of protein. Water, water! 80-push to 128 oz/day. Fiber is a weight loss tool as well. Shoot from 20-25 gm/day minimum, if necessary to get that add 2 doses of 2 rounded teas of benefiber or Metamucil daily, or sugar free fiber gummies. Have a great Thanksgiving and I will look forward to seeing you later in Nov. Feel free to e-mail or call with any questions. Blessings, Jeannine Cobb, M.D.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
My LC doctor actually emailed me back in a matter of hours..This is what she said..Might help someone here with the water intake..

Dear Carolyn, Fine to increase metformin to 2 daily, if no nausea or diarrhea, some folks have that short term if they start with the higher dose first, but usually improves in 7 – 10 days. The dose range for dysmetabolic syndrome is 500 to 2000mg, so we have some wiggle room. I think AM and PM would be good. We can put in an updated dose at the pharmacy, since you will run out sooner. I will put that in the Mercy Pharmacy computer. Sometimes is a gradual improvement over 4-6 weeks. I would suggest keeping calories in the weight loss range of your test, 1200-1300 cal/day, with 20-25 gms of carbs most days and 75-100 gms of protein. Water, water! 80-push to 128 oz/day. Fiber is a weight loss tool as well. Shoot from 20-25 gm/day minimum, if necessary to get that add 2 doses of 2 rounded teas of benefiber or Metamucil daily, or sugar free fiber gummies. Have a great Thanksgiving and I will look forward to seeing you later in Nov. Feel free to e-mail or call with any questions. Blessings, Jeannine Cobb, M.D.
WOW - she's a winner.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #243
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Carolyn, Beth is beautiful, great picture.

Wow, can't believe that doctor, you have hit the jackpot!!!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW Beth IS beautiful!! What a wonderful picture!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #245
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vicki786
I am so happy to find this thread.. As a new comer, please let me know how I can be on diet... Please explain in baby steps for me...

I can also lose weight if I am on 800 cal a day...

I appreiate your replies..
vicki786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #246

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Wow Carolyn! That's a great pic of Beth. Looks like she's really having a good time.
That's so cool about your Dr responding by email. You have found a good one I think. Are you going to do the fiber recs though? I would bloat up like a hot air balloon if I did that.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #247
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!

Hi Vicki. Best thing you can do is to read some of the LC books, Barry Grove is the author of EFGT and that is kind of how this group first formed, we were all following his plan. We now all do our own variations of it but have formed a great group of supportive, helpful friends here. There are many more LC ideas and books out there. The Atkins books are really good for a beginner. Then you need to decide which plan you think would work for you, and give it a try. Pick a program such as ****** to log your food so that you really know what you are eating, how much of it and the nutritional values of each food. You will be surprised when you log your food. The one thing in your post that jumped out at me right away was the 800 calorie statement. Most of us are of the mind that 800 is way too low of calories for healthy diet or even for weight loss. Some people can lose on LC eating up to 2000 calories a day, lots find that 1200-1400 work for them. But, it really is not calorie based, it is lowering your carbs, finding the right amount of protein for your age, height, weight, activity level and then eating good fats to make up the difference. Lots of good info on low carb friends as well, check out all the different groups and the main lobby as you get some books and start reading. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #248
Big Yapper!!!!

Enjoyed having dinner last night with DH, my stepdaughter and her DH. Ate just crab legs and boiled shrimp. Wow it was good. Wish I had some way of measuring how many oz I ate, but once or twice a month, I don't worry about it.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #249
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Enjoyed having dinner last night with DH, my stepdaughter and her DH. Ate just crab legs and boiled shrimp. Wow it was good. Wish I had some way of measuring how many oz I ate, but once or twice a month, I don't worry about it.
Ounces?? I measure that stuff in pounds!!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #250
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Ounces?? I measure that stuff in pounds!!
DH doesn't like fish and his look of disgust when he saw my plate piled with crab legs was almost funny!!! What would probably have surprised him was that mine probably has less calories, fat, etc. than his "acceptable" portion of food
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #251
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok cooks, I made the almond fudge cake and it was very good. Now, I see there is a chocolate mayo cake recipe that gets raves as well. Have any of you made both of these and which do you prefer? I have finished the half one I made and must make up another. Or, the Chicken Lady's carrot cake, that one gets rave reviews as well.

"LET THEM EAT CAKE"!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
OMG! I'm there! I've gotta' find this Chicken Lady! Lead the way Buffy...
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #253
Big Yapper!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post12732159

Here you go!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki786 View Post
I am so happy to find this thread.. As a new comer, please let me know how I can be on diet... Please explain in baby steps for me...

I can also lose weight if I am on 800 cal a day...

I appreiate your replies..
Welcome Vicki!
Good suggestions from Buffy. I'm not the expert on Eat Fat, Get Thin, but I added 2.5 TBS of Virgin Coconut Oil to my diet of 1200-1400 calories (which I was plateaued on) and was able to lose the last 10 lbs. Its widely agree'd on that eating only 800 calories a day is not enough. In fact, the body goes into starvation mode. I rotate my calories up & down throughout the week, and most times the weight is let go of after the highest calories. Its also important to be on "low-carbs" & actually no bad carbs... you can gain wt. on bad carbs, even if its a very low calorie total.
Do you exercise? That really helps as well.
Hope that helps.

Hi Gals!
I'm quite pleased this morning, my temperature has been a steady 98.2 !! That's got to be a record for me!
It was 5 degrees Fahrenheit this morning! Brr!! I think hubby & I are going to go shopping today...
Have a good one!

DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #255

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Thanks for the Beth kudos..She is quite the character, believe me. She is really enjoying all this work with great people and a very sweet roommate.

I do think that is alot of fiber, too..Unless you have an Atkins bar or some other LC bar with say 14 grams of fiber. Dr. Cobb is a strong believer in drinking lots of water to lose and I have been neglectful of that in my past..So, am back on track..She also
says that teas made with leaves can count as water.

Chicken Lady's recipes are wonderful...I'm sure I have made all of them...

I love crab legs/boiled shrimp...so much...

Chatted with my 60 year old single brother who is a health nut this morning..He lives in AZ and thinks Dr. Oz is next to God. He has been trying to lose weight..just 10 pounds.
I told him to ditch the bread and the banana and just try Low Carb for a week and see what happens.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #256
Big Yapper!!!!

Good advice to your brother Carolyn.

Debby, sounds like great progress to me, you are doing so good.

Carolyn, have you made the chocolate mayo cake, I know you have made many many of the recipes floating around on here.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #257
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003

Carolyn - Amazing pic of Beth!! She's so pretty!!

And good advice for your brother! Great doc too! You're having a good week!

Vicki - Yep - what Buffy said!!

Buffy - does The Chicken Lady have a list of recipes somewhere or do you have to search them all out?
I love crab legs and shrimp!! Yum!

Debby - I would be freezing!! We're having an amazing 70 today and possibly tomorrow and then back to the 30's- 40's!
DH and I are talking about heading to Florida for a week in February.
A friend has a house a couple of blocks from the beach in Daytona for only $700 a week!

Sandy - me too! That's a lot of fiber!!

Judy -

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #258
Big Yapper!!!!

MK, from what I can find out, Chicken Lady does not have a list, but says that if you click on her name, it will take you to most of her messages where she does include recipes.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #259
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
MK, from what I can find out, Chicken Lady does not have a list, but says that if you click on her name, it will take you to most of her messages where she does include recipes.
Thanks!!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Florida in Feb sounds good to me. Even living in TX
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #261
Princess Proofreader

We'd like to find some place to go for a few months in the winter after DH retires, so thought we'd start scoping out places.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post

Debby - I would be freezing!! We're having an amazing 70 today and possibly tomorrow and then back to the 30's- 40's!
DH and I are talking about heading to Florida for a week in February.
A friend has a house a couple of blocks from the beach in Daytona for only $700 a week!

Judy -
Congrats on your dh retiring! We're looking for somewhere to go also. I just sent a message to our director of missions in the latin-american countries... we'll see if that comes to anything. Would like to go somewhere tropical, but I think doing nothing sounds boring...

Yeah, its too cold for me too, that's why I'm madly shopping for winter stuff so I can walk Shelby. It will be warming up the rest of the week in the 30's & more snow. That's way better!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #263
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Congrats on your dh retiring! We're looking for somewhere to go also. I just sent a message to our director of missions in the latin-american countries... we'll see if that comes to anything. Would like to go somewhere tropical, but I think doing nothing sounds boring...

Yeah, its too cold for me too, that's why I'm madly shopping for winter stuff so I can walk Shelby. It will be warming up the rest of the week in the 30's & more snow. That's way better!
I love how you can say warming up and 30's in the same sentence!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

DH is quite a ways from retiring - he's only 58 - but we're kind of planning ahead . . . .
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
I love how you can say warming up and 30's in the same sentence!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

DH is quite a ways from retiring - he's only 58 - but we're kind of planning ahead . . . .
As my dear father used to say, "If you fail to plan you plan to fail!"

Additionally you will get to have some great trips while you are shopping for warm places!

My DH and I worked in Wyoming for a year not too long ago. We had coats and jackets even sometimes in July (at night). If the temperature was in the 30s, the locals would break out the flip flops!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #265
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetHeleMae
Stats: 166.5/165.5/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 09/09/2013
I think that I have been eating way too many calories the past few days,. I have regained 3 pounds of the original 6 lost. Discouraging. I was thinking that calories didn't matter as long as the % were correct. Hummm. Guess I can't do this this and not pay attention to the total calorie count. I love Oopsie rolls with a cream cheese/whipped cream frosting. My husband loves the too so I have been over indulging. Must stop the upward advance of weight!!
JanetHeleMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #266
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
The only time I like cold blowing snow these days is when I am in a warm, cozy house with a fire going, it is pretty to watch. But, I spent half my life, or not quite, in the midwest and glad to be in a warmer climate now. I know, you all rememeber how I complained during July and August, but really, those are the only 2 bad months we have.

Janet, you do have to find that sweet spot on calories too, but, my weight can bounce up and down within about 3 lbs some times, even if I am doing everything right. Over time, you are just looking for that downward trend. Although I weigh every day, I just post it once a week. So far, not showing a loss for this week and posting day is tomorrow, so will have to hope for a loss next week.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I read Jimmy Moore's update to his NK experiment. He said he lost only 2.5 pounds for the entire month. He's nearing 250 pounds which is a psychological barrier for him, but as we've all said, we like the things we're able to eat and the way we feel on this way of eating - he's the same. He's happy for any weight loss, but not concerned it's a small amount for a month.

He's been working out a lot more and is fascinating himself with his lack of appetite. Something he said grabbed my eye - he said he noticed lots of people who were not in ketosis were eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. Then he said that wasn't much time between meals for the body to make its own ketones.

I had naturally not been hungry, but have lately only been mildly in ketosis (0.8 first thing in the morning - still valid) still feel well and still not hungry, but have allowed myself more baking items and a handfull of nuts here and there.

I think I could later fine-tune this thing, or at least a few days out of the week to allowing a lot more time to pass between meals. My stomach simply will not hold all the calories I need in two meals/day. I have to eat 3 meals or I'll be well under an acceptable amount of calories.

I think exercise helps with our bodies making ketones, too.

And I will be very interested in this natural thyroid taking over and the hot flashes stopping at night - that is not making me happy. Need......more.....hormones......
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #268
Big Yapper!!!!

Will go read Jimmy's update!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #269
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetHeleMae
Stats: 166.5/165.5/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 09/09/2013
Thanks for the reply, Buffy, and the words of wisdom. I lost original weight fast, so was expecting more of the same! Darn. I'll try to be more patient.
JanetHeleMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #270
Big Yapper!!!!

I normally eat 2 meals a day, might have a small snack in between. I really don't get hungry until about noon, love just my coffee/co in the AM, 2 big mugs.

Had a birthday party to go to last night. Knew there was going to be a tossed salad and pecan crusted chicken so knew I could eat that. No flour on the chicken. Well, about 5 pm I got hungry so just went ahead and ate at home. Got to the party, drank 3 small bottles of water, and hostess just insisted I try the chicken. I got it, took 2 little bites and just could not eat any more, it really didn't taste that good and I was so full. No problem resisting all the other food and a delish (from what I heard) birthday cake. Just love how this makes my control over food so complete.

One blooper yesterday. I had made some fudge. Made the first batch for the almond fudge cake and so would have just 1 piece of cake with a little of the fudge frosting per day and that didn't seem to bother. Well, got brave and made a small batch of the fudge, it made 13 oz, to which I added some nuts. I have been having one or two little tiny pieces of it per day. Yesterday, I kept going back and ended up having about 7 pieces of it! Good experiment I guess. No tummy issues from all that swerve. But, my weight was up about 1 lb this AM, can't be sure it was that but suspicious. My BK was lower than usual and BG a little higher than usual. So, not a good thing to keep around the house, should only make that for icing and not candy to be eaten like I ate it yesterday. I emailed the folks at Swerve to try to get a calorie count on say a cup measurement, but alas, no answer to that. They have always been prompt in answering questions in the past, so think I will try to give them a call this week. I was at the top of my calories without the candy yesterday so would like to know how many were in that. I can remember being so shocked when I found out the calorie content in granular splenda, since all the lables are for 1 teaspoon, tricksters!!!

The birthday party was for one of the gals in my dinner club. There are 9 of us and she was the 7th to turn 50, we always have a bigger party for the big 5 0. We have 2 more and then will all be over 50, hope the baby of the group gets to 50 before I hit 70, LOL. One of our gals has MS and I hadn't seen her for a while, although I knew she had suffered a recent attack. She did get to come for a short while last night and it is soo hard to see her like this, after a recent attack. She was walking unsteadily, with a cane, was in a lot of pain, but as always, put on a very very brave front. She is an amazing woman, really wish they could find the new drug that they are searching for that will help her. The latest one on the horizon is going to cost $5,000 per pill with a dose of 2 per day!!! This past year, her co-pay alone was $37,000 on her current meds. It has put such a terrible strain on their marriage but the good thing is that she has raised 2 amazing kids who have excelled and both gotten full rides to college for sports, thank heavens for that.

Wow, I am Miss Chatty Cathy today, hmmmm