Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #151
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I got a mani last Friday. We must all be on the same maintenance schedule, lolol. I got a gelish manicure and I love it. I got one before my trip and it lasted 5 weeks!!!! The last few days it was looking a tad unruly from growing out but no chips, no breaks. I got French so it didn't show too much. So I got another one this time and hope it lasts as long.
I want to do that for my toe nails. Do they do toes too in the gel stuff?

My pics are at Costco. I'll post a few with a bit of Narrative. Sharks....we had sharks on every freaking dive! Everyone else was excited. Me, not so much!

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 11-07-2012 at 06:22 AM..
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Cindy - well that sounds thrilling. For the others....
I'm with you because...sharks!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #153
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning!

Wow, Cindy, you are more daring than I. Sounds like an amazing trip though.

Emel, welcome. Your menu sounded good but not sure what plan you are following. On breakfast, some folks say it is a must to get your metabolism going. I drink coffee with coconut oil in it and a couple drops of liquid splenda and don't eat until I get hungry, which is usually late morning. I am losing but very slowly. I think it is a YMMV type of thing.

MK, you were missed, we love hearing about what you are doing and all about your kids and family. And, we have kind of become a little family in here, you are one of the sistahs!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

I have been getting the gel manicures since July and love the way they hold up and look so nice. Finally was able to get rid of the fake nails because the gel gives my nails a little strength. But, I have been getting color and in 2 weeks, mine have to be redone or they look kind of bad. I have a standing appt. but it gets expensive. If it wasn't for the growth, mine would last longer too. Might get the french soon and see if I can's skip an appt.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Hi all. I stink at personals, but I wish you all good luck in your plan.

I think I'm getting the hang of this, but I have two questions:
1) I think I saw something about minimum requirements for breakfast. I don't like eating a big breakfast. Can I get away with something like this or should I make myself eat more at breakfast?
2) I'm only guessing at my LBM but I think my protein requirement is 50 to 70. Should I freak out if I go a little higher, like up to 75 or so?
Thanks.

1400 cal for the day

B- 1 1/2 oz cooked fatty steak, 1/2 oz cheddar, 1/2 small apple later.
10 fat, 10 carb, 16 protein.

I mix up daily salad of 3 cups lettuce, half cup cuke/pepper/celery mix and a couple cherry tomatoes, oz walnuts. 2 T ranch dressing and 1 T olive oil. I split this salad between L and D.

L-salad w/ walnuts and dressing, 1 1/2 oz fatty beef

D- 3.5 oz cooked dark chicken w/skin, the rest of the salad and walnuts, and 4 asparagus spears.

Dessert, an hour or so later.. fat bomb.

1,405 cal
113.2 fat 70%
36.1 carb (not net) 10% (taking away only the fiber, the net carbs are 22.5.)
70.1 pro 20%
I wouldn't freak out if you go higher on protein here and there. We're in it for the long haul.

Buffy's right on the breakfast - do what your body seems to want. Kristn (who started the NK thread and made it to goal) eats breakfast every morning at 6AM and says she doesn't fast or do intermittent fasting, but her lunch is typically chicken broth with cream cheese, so she can have a full dinner with her family.

Lots of us aren't that hungry for breakfast and use coconut oil to start our day. I work from home so I can eat whenever I want.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #156
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
A good morning hug to you all..

Off to exercise...I'm not that fit..but better than I was last year, thanks to my new bfriend Fred Hahn..LOL..

Anyone sick of politics?????????????? Besides me..I'm sure it will all be rehashed for a few weeks more.

You guys are lucky to have nails to manicure..LOL..I do my own during an exciting tv show..and just clear polish because mine are short..

Hmmm..I think I was 151 this a.m. Hopefully, the metformin is helping me not be so
insulin resistant. If this was my problem all along..I would be a very happy camper.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #157
Big Yapper!!!!

Carolyn, I am so sick of politics and yes, you are right, now the rehashing will go on and on and on. Guess it keeps some people employed, I don't know who listens to all that.

I keep my nails short too, otherwise they are too weak.

That is great on the 151. I will be surprised if the met doesn't help, but it will be very interesting to see how it shakes out for you.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #158

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Thanks Buffy and Judy.

Buffy, I'm attempting to follow the plan as outlined in BG's EFGT, relying on the EFGT e-book and the diabetes diet webpage. I don't have diabetes, nor any other major health concern other than post-menopause.

Judy, I am trying to train myself to go with less lunch and more breakfast. I don't feel well all day when I do that. But I'm trying.

I need to go back and read what I can find in the EFGT book about how much breakfast I absolutely have to eat. I'm not a daytime snacker, either. I'd much rather do the least breakfast possible, then a decent lunch and dinner, and then an evening fatbomb snack. I don't sleep if I don't eat an evening snack, and I stay hungry on the remaining food allotment for the day if I eat a big breakfast.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like you know yourself. If you can keep your protein moderate and carbs low, you'll do well.

How much weight do you want to lose?

Others on the NK thread have wonderful body fat percentages they'd like to achieve. I am 54, nearly 55, going through menopause and some thyroid tweaks, and am OK if my bodyfat is 30%. Everybody gets to decide their own goal, of course.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Sounds like you know yourself. If you can keep your protein moderate and carbs low, you'll do well.

How much weight do you want to lose?

Others on the NK thread have wonderful body fat percentages they'd like to achieve. I am 54, nearly 55, going through menopause and some thyroid tweaks, and am OK if my bodyfat is 30%. Everybody gets to decide their own goal, of course.
I'm almost 52. I'm 5'3". 138 is a set point I could live with. I'm 167 now, the highest I've ever been.

I had crept up over 140 while following the higher protein, moderate fat, lower carb style I've followed for years. The more I restricted, the more I gained. And then one of my best friends died and I gained 25 lbs rapidly from stress-eating--junky carbs.

Before that I kept in the 130's pretty easily, although I did have to knock off 15 pounds with hhcg a couple years ago (stress again, when my mother died). Tried hhcg again last month, but I stopped because I felt awful.

I never had a weight problem until 2003, when I gained up to 153 from a long course of steroids. I lost down to 126 on Atkins Induction/OWL. But I think that's too low for me now.

Thanks for your interest and for your help.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The only other thing I might say is that your protein might be a little high. I say that with hesitation because there are lots of different (valid) points of view on this issue. If you go to another high fat moderate protein thread, you might be told to eat 20 grams more of protein than you are currently eating.

I am interested in the people who dropped their protein to an acceptably low level, kept eating very low carb, then ate to satiety with fat - and reached goal after years of being stalled. If you need to adjust your fat downward to lose, so be it. One successful person was Rebecca Latham, who advocated "eating to your goal."

She said it wasn't important to set your protein requirements on what you weigh today, but what you wish to weigh. Makes sense.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #162

Thanks, Judy.

60 g protein =240 cal =20%
30 to 45 g carb=10 to 15%
80 to 93 g fat= 60-70%
1200 cal

or 960 cal
60 g protein = 25% 240 cal
36 g carb = 15% 144 cal
53 g fat =60% 477 cal

Either way, I'm back to 1.5 or 2 oz meat serving per meal. quite unhappy with that.

Last edited by emel; 11-07-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm sure you shouldn't go below 1200 calories and surely you could lose even at higher calories?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #164

Quote:
I'm sure you shouldn't go below 1200 calories and surely you could lose even at higher calories?
I can't both lower protein grams and stay at 1400.
If I lower protein to 60 grams and stay within the 20-25% protein ratio, that means I max out at 1200 calories.

60 grams protein = 240 cal. 240 cal is 20% of 1200 cal, or 25% of 960 cal.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You might consider removing yourself from percentages.
The people who met goal on the NK thread ate to a certain protein amount (say, 60g), kept carbs low (many kept them at 20 or lower) and simply ate fat to satiate.

You and I are not 18, for certain, but I imagine you could go to 1300 or so calories by throwing in some cream cheese or fat bombs or similar.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #166

From reading here and on BG's diabetes site, I thought the percentages were all-important. That's the part that's giving me trouble. I am so hungry and I feel really woozy trying to keep the protein at 20%.

I haven't read the US version book, just the EFGT e-book published in 1999. I figured after seeing so much stuff about percentages in this forum, it must have been a new requirement that came out in the newer book.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #167
Big Yapper!!!!

I agree with Judy on this. The percentages can give us a range to look at but the most important issue is to find your minimum amount of protein required so as to not lose LBM. Then pick a number of carbs you are going to start out at, and like Judy says, a lot of people seem to shoot for 20 or less, some end up finding they can eat more than that and lose. The, eat fat until you feel satisifed and full. Not stuffed, just satisfied. Try doing that for a few days and just kind of see where you calories fall. JMHO.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Oh Debby -
How long do you think this setback will last?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Debby - Yikes! I hope it gets better soon!!
Thanks for the Welcome!!!
Thanks Judy & Mary Kay,
I really have no idea But I'm taking extra antioxidants, isocort, mood stabilizers, tylenol... (felt pretty good with all that), should probably take more ginko too, but you know, when this stuff clouds your brain, its hard to remember "what" to take! Hoping the headache & water retention disappears. Its a bummer, being so "different."
I've been busy pre-cooking my meats & vege's for the week. It really helps a lot to do it all at once & free's up room in the fridge from all that "compost." I guess it wouldn't be such a big deal if my husband ate the same way I do, but he doesn't... cooking is not a favorite thing with me anymore, so its way better to only be cooking one meal for dinner & just reheating mine.
We have lots of winter wonderland outside today... aren't you glad we're not sending it south?!
Oh, my sympathies to y'all on the election.
Blessings,
Debby
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #169
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!
I love when everyone is so helpful!!

Good day today ~ especially at TJ Maxx.
How do they know just what fun stuff I need?! :rolleyes;

emel - I agree with what Buffy and Judy said! Especially the part about knowing yourself! Don't eat in a way that makes you feel bad, dizzy, whatever!
Calories are calories whether you eat them at 6:00am or 6:00 pm, so eat when you're hungry and don't when you aren't!

I eat a decent breakfast most days (when I have time). Three days a week I lift weights in a body building class and just eat protein for breakfast before I go - eggs, bacon, sausage, leftovers from dinner, whatever.

The other days, I just eat when I'm ready - so don't stress, K?!

I'm also dairy and gluten free - so that limits my choices.

I'm 5'0" and am 54. I'd like to weigh 120 (or less, but that's probably not going to happen).
So I'm "fat" at 125, fine at 123 and great at 120!

Carolyn - I don't do manicures - I use my hands too much - so my nails are short too. Pedi's on the other hand . . . every month without fail! it's my treat!

Debby - that's so smart to pre-cook! I'd eat better if I did!!
Where do you live? You already have snow??

Buffy - I have a friend that can get almost 4 weeks out of a gel French manicure!!
I bet you could too - especially in the winter when everything grows more slowly!

Cindy - I think they do gel for toes.
What an amazing trip! No one was eaten by a shark, right?
I'd be terrified!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #170

Hi..

Oh, Cindy..If you dove with sharks floating around you, you are our heroine.. Sharks scare me a lot.

Emel: Everyone is different and requires different amounts of food..So if you are shaking, then you aren't eating enough..Not good..

Off to babysit with the one year olds at church..I don't need grandkids right now cuz I have a few little guys to hug and chat with..LOL
Old 11-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #171
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Sharks scare me too. My closest one was 4 feet away. They are very habituated to the divers and Palau doesn't have a problem with shark attacks so I tried to be cool. There is no feeding so they have nothing to get excited about. We saw 4 big (10'-14' wingspan) Manta rays feeding for about 30 minutes. Big animal diving up feeding on krill. Very neat.

No, my fingernails are short and never polished but I do like toe polish.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #172

...plus Cindy, you wouldn't be a very big meal.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #173

Thank you all so much. You've been very patient with me, and I appreciate the help.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
...plus Cindy, you wouldn't be a very big meal.
TRUE!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #175

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Cindy, yes, I'm sure they do toes too. I try to keep my toes clear of all polish except for special occasions. I'm afraid I'll get a fungus among us, lol. Somebody told me that you're at higher risk if you keep your toes covered in polish all the time. IDK if that's true but it does save me $$, lol.
Sharks??? Yikes! I was in Isle of Palms the first of Oct. and my friend showed me a map yesterday where a giant great white had been right off the coast right when we were there! No thank you!! And that shark came down from Cape Cod in just a couple of weeks! Scary. But I do bet it was cool to see all that in your dives. You really are brave.

Emel, I can see why you could be a little confused. EFGT is kind of based on %s but then we all kind of incorporated NK info into our eating so now it's sort of a mix between EFGT and NK. Both are pretty much the same with a bit different emphasis. I hope I haven't confused you even more, lol. Just hang in there, it'll all sort itself out in a short while hanging out on the boards.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #176

Oh, at my Dr visit today, I'd lost 5# since last year and my BP was 110/60!! I was proud. Then they had to stick me twice to get blood!! I was sad. Then I got a good report on my mammo. I was glad. Then I had a great visit with an old friend. So a good day all in all. I can't wait to get my blood test results back now. I was 141 at the Dr!!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh, at my Dr visit today, I'd lost 5# since last year and my BP was 110/60!! I was proud. Then they had to stick me twice to get blood!! I was sad. Then I got a good report on my mammo. I was glad. Then I had a great visit with an old friend. So a good day all in all. I can't wait to get my blood test results back now. I was 141 at the Dr!!
Sandy, I completely know I don't "know" you like your other friends here but you have no idea how long I silently stalked all of you!

So happy for you - so happy for your great report.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #178

Judy, you make me smile with all your talk of stalking, lol. I'm glad you came out of the shadows and joined us in the light, lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #179
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:

WTG Sandy!!

Quote:
Sandy, I completely know I don't "know" you like your other friends here but you have no idea how long I silently stalked all of you!

TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

See??? See??? You are funny girls.
That's why i stalked you.
That's why I pretend I am friends with you.