Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Judy, question for you. Are you trying to up your calories and if so, what do you think so far?

Sandy, question for you. Wasn't it your DH that was taking certain supplements and was it for high cholesterol? I remember you saying how well they worked but not sure what they were and for what. I really need to get cholesterol down before next Dr. visit as he wrote a prescription for lipitor and I am not taking it. DO NOT want to take that stuff. I have upped my liquid fish oil but worried with change in WOE that won't be enough.
Yes they work great!! He takes HeartSavior which we order online and he takes ProFibe which is available locally but usually cheaper online. He just got his latest blood tests back and they were still FANTASTIC!! If you have trouble finding either one, let me know on Facebook and I'll help you.

Quote:
The fudge cake is out of the oven and taste tested. OMG, it is really really good. Can't believe the texture of it, not light and airy but just a good dense chocolate cake. Would make great brownies, oh my. What a winner. I did get and use, for the first time, the honeyv almond flour, blanched. Really a nice consistency. Can't wait for DD's to try this. I made half a recipe, I am learning, LOL. Frosted part of it with a cream fudge recipe from past days, which I made with Swerve. Pretty good too, but it really doesn't even need icing.
That sounds like Chocolate Torte! Which we LOVE! A local restaurant used to have sf chocolate torte on their menu. We would go eat there just for the dessert!! I need to get your recipe. Or point me in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi gals..

Buffy: That cake is wonderful and so is the bread..I do need to bake after my nommie
pumpkin muffins are gone.. Too many sweets around the house is not a good thing
for me..I do use Honeyville all the time, too.

My dd called me today. She hasn't got her cable yet and was out exploring SLCity, which is a very interesting place, she says..

Not only does Sandy have a great metabolism..she really understands the new technology.

Tomorrow will be my first week on 500 Metformin ER. So, I will see how the weight goes. I am truly hoping that I needed help in that area and weight loss will be quicker.
That is, combined with a 20 carb day, of course..
Thanks Carolyn, but this technology keeps getting harder and harder. One of these days I'm afraid I'll be left in the dust!
I can't wait to hear your results from the metformin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I think this could fit in our way of eating just fine. I am constantly perusing the pizza crusts. Ginny Larsen posted this on her page. She has been fiddling with a bread that actually and really tastes yeasty. I tried it and agree - it was fantastic.

However I find that if I eat a "bread", they typically contain so much protein I've nothing to put in there and little for dinner! So it's one of those things I like having and like knowing how good it is, but I'm not going to make it a lot.

HAVING SAID THAT...
she's still fiddling and came up with this "Cheesy Bread Pizza Crust".
Two odd things:
1. psyllium seed husk powder. I got mine from netrition, I think. It's basically unflavored metamucil that has been ground fine. It adds a nice structure.

The other thing is
2. nutritional yeast flakes. I had never heard of that. I found it in bulk at Whole Foods, (they look like fish food flakes!) then found it in a can at Reasor's in Tulsa in the health food area. These really smell yeasty.
The nutritional numbers shown are hers, and now that I see it, I am sure I'd eat 2 pieces - but that seems fine depending upon the toppings.

Anyhoozle, here's the recipe.

CHEESY BREAD PIZZA CRUST (Ginny Larsen)

3 large eggs
3 tablespoons buttermilk -- (or dry red wine)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (I used the canned)
3 tablespoons almond flour
1 tablespoon psyllium seed husk powder
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 drops liquid sucralose -- (OR sweetener equal to 1 tbsp.)--optional but I think it adds to the flavor

Preheat oven to 350F. Place parchment paper onto 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheet.

In small bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk OR wine, olive oil, Parmesan Cheese, almond flour, psyllium powder, nutritional flakes, baking powder, and liquid sucralose. With electric mixer, beat until smooth. Let sit a minute to thicken slightly.

Pour out onto pizza pan OR baking sheet, and spread evenly with spatula until it reaches the edges of the pan. Bake about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and top with your favorite sauce and pizza toppings and bake longer until cheese is melted.

Cut into 8 slices.

Yield:
"1 pizza"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8 Slices/Each slice: 85 Calories; 6g Fat (62.2% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber
What a coincidence! I just this weekend went and bought the yeast flakes and p. husk powder to make that bread recipe!!! I too found the yeast flakes at Whole Foods. I only bought a teeny amount until I see how it is. But I had to buy a $10 bottle of the powder. So I'm really hoping it's good. I like the onion/rye but it's a little strong tasting for toast with eggs, IMHO.

Debby, WTG on all the activity and the shopping! SNOW???? I'm not ready for that stuff here yet.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #92

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Buffy, they both worked pretty fast too! We were shocked!!
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #93
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
thanks Sandy, will point you to the cake tomorrow
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #94
Big Yapper!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post12769318
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #95
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning everyone!
Spent a lazy Sunday yesterday, resting up from my little trip and feel good today. Time to get going on the laundry and whatever else needs to be done. I need to make a trip to a grocery store that has tilapia on sale for $3.99 a lb, get some extra and seal it up for the freezer. Think that will be on the menu for dinner tonight. Also want to pick up the stuff to make the cheese bread that the pizza crust evolved from. Toast and butter, in my future!! I know I would probably lose faster if I cut out all the experimenting that I do, but, not sure I want to give that up to lose faster, KWIM? I like to try these different things and I am losing slowly, so, right now, I will bake away.
DD just told me that on her way to bed last night, DGD 2 said "I had a GREAT day today", just warms my heart to see the little ones happy. One of there outings was to drive by the landfill and watch the trucks working, LOL, the kids were fascinated, haha. DGS 4 is so interested in recycling right now.
Beautiful sunny day here, Debby, can't hardly wrap my head around you talking about snow and boots and coats . Growing up in Iowa, I sure had many years of that. I have a brand new winter coat in the closet that I got at a terrific price at the end of the season last winter, not even sure it will get to come out to be worn, but, I have it in case . Sometimes I go to Colorado with the kids, so know it will come in handy then and it should fit great, I didn't get it any too big.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
I'm not doing too well today. After 3 days of weighing I'm at a new high in my weight. I have not gone off one bit but putting the pounds on. Not sure now what I'm going to do as I can't afford to gain anymore.

Thanks for the cake recipe Buffy. I'll try it out on DH and see if he likes it.
Shalbrihil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #97

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Brrr...

I'm sure all your grandkiddos have fun with all of you grandmas out there.. Lucky kids to have healthy grandmas to enjoy.

Our church is doing a community dinner, so I have 2 giant turkeys in my freezer to cook next week. Brett said he would cook one, but we will have to work that out with his schedule..I may cook both and have him come over and help me cut them up. So, I have last year's 12 pounder in my fridge waiting to thaw for this week. Maybe I'll do the cold water method of thawing so we can eat it sooner.

Buffy: You might be too skinny for that coat...

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbrihil View Post
I'm not doing too well today. After 3 days of weighing I'm at a new high in my weight. I have not gone off one bit but putting the pounds on. Not sure now what I'm going to do as I can't afford to gain anymore.

Thanks for the cake recipe Buffy. I'll try it out on DH and see if he likes it.
Sharon: How many calories are you eating???? 99 percent of the time that I gain weight is that I eat too many calories..I think 1300 is probably my limit, but I have to pay more attention this week.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
I'm not sure. I have trouble counting calories. I will try fit day to see what that says.
Shalbrihil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #100
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Buffy: You might be too skinny for that coat...

Would love to find that when I get it out, but very very doubtful. Great thought though!!!

Seeing turkeys in the stores now. Going to go find a link, brb
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16058747

Take a look at that beautiful bird!!! Love that it gets all the skin so nice, browned and crispy. That is probably my favorite part of the turkey anyway. And, I always roast mine upside down so that all the juice goes into the breast. But, might try this method this year, if I could get it but like that.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Quote:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16058747

Take a look at that beautiful bird!!! Love that it gets all the skin so nice, browned and crispy. That is probably my favorite part of the turkey anyway. And, I always roast mine upside down so that all the juice goes into the breast. But, might try this method this year, if I could get it but like that.
Yes, that is beautiful. It's Alton Brown's method of brining our turkey I've used the last several years. It never fails. My dh smokes it for a few hours and we are happy and so is everyone that gets leftovers!

Carolyn - I love that Buffy will probably be too skinny for her 'new' coat.
You're probably right!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #103
Big Yapper!!!!

If, that would ever happen, I would proudly wear my baggy coat, even on warm days,
Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I'm just back from my new doctor. My heart beating out of my chest is evidently menopause-y. The holter monitor showed no abnormalities with my heart rhythm.

My thyroid ultrasound showed my thyroid mildly enlarged, but no lesions or tumors.

My bone scan - forgot to ask.

My blood work. All the HDL, LDL stuff was within normal range. My total cholesterol (meaningless imo) 175; HDL 79; LDL 84; Triglycerides 62 (awesome). Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 2.22.

My fasting blood glucose was 83 (yay!). My HbA1c was 5.3 (OK I guess).

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody: 110.81 H Units (range 0.00 - 100.00) ?
Progesterone 0.24L (She said out of range for my age but they had the wrong range on my report for my age)
Testosterone 46L (top or just out of top of range for my age)
Vitamin D Total 65 (range 130-100) (have been taking Vit D for years)

She said my iron was low. I give blood a few times a year, and was turned away from giving a double portion a few months ago because my iron was too low.

I eat spinach quite frequently. She ordered another blood test, so I guess I'll adjust something if necessary.

HOWEVER I told her of the night sweats since starting the synthetic thyroid meds.
She changed my prescription to a natural medicine - she said it was not as "stinky" as Armour, but it still be made by the compounding pharmacy.

We talked about it, and I am going to start taking bio-identical hormone therapy!
I guess we're all experimenting with our own bodies, so here I go experimenting with mine!

OH and my blood pressure was NORMAL (it was elevated for 2 years previous to this WOE) and my pulse was 83.

Last edited by JMCM1; 11-05-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #105
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, Awesome report!!! You are doing great, taking charge of your health!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #106
Big Yapper!!!!

To the other LC bakers in our group, I just can't get over the difference in using the HV blanched almond flour versus the BRM brand. So much finer a texture in the finished product. Made another batch of the pumpkin muffins so I could see the difference in the, since the fudge cake came out so nice. Very nice. Will never use the "other" brand again!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

The Honeyville Grain is nicer. I buy the big bags and keep them in my freezer so I don't run out.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Yep, I bought the big bag, made a smaller bag for the fridge, the rest went in the freezer. I think I am about stocked now on my LC baking needs, wow, seems like I have spent a fortune getting things stocked up.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

You have spent a fortune.
But I am pretty sure you can float awhile.
My overall grocery bill has gone down since I started eating this way.

Of course I am low in iron.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #110
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, and irons can be expensive, plus I hate using them.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #111
Big Yapper!!!!

True, I haven't spent much at the grocery store, just on online ordering.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes, and irons can be expensive, plus I hate using them.
HA HA HA!!!
I never thought this would happen to me, but since I've been working from home for the last few years, my ironing is the biggest pile in my house. It's shameful. Every now and then in the evening, I find something I can stand to watch on TV and start ironing! It's quite low on my list of things I enjoy.

I did a heap of online ordering but then like you, decided I mostly liked Swerve and bought a lot of it. Same for Honeyville Grain. So I think I'm set for awhile.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbrihil View Post
I'm not sure. I have trouble counting calories. I will try fit day to see what that says.
Sharon:Great idea.. For me, it is very easy to overeat LC foods cuz they are nommie..

Judy: We are all experiments.. Your D did look low..Did she suggest you "up" the amount?

I don't mind ironing because I turn on a Netflix movie and have my coffee handy..
Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Note to self: Big pile of laundry driven up to Independence for ironing/coffee/movie night.

I was hoping you'd look over all that blood work jibber jabber .
My D was supposedly mid-range, but I'll look elsewhere to see what is prefereable.
I take 5,000 IU/day
Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #115

Oh..I think the range was off that you posted..If its in mid-range, that's great, Judy..5,000 is what Jimmy M. takes..Your blood sugar was great, great...Mine is usually 95-99, higher than I would like.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh..I think the range was off that you posted..If its in mid-range, that's great, Judy..5,000 is what Jimmy M. takes..Your blood sugar was great, great...Mine is usually 95-99, higher than I would like.
Oh you're right!
I did put the wrong range.
I should have shown the range to be 30-100.
Maybe I'll continue with the 5000 IU. I actually bought it by mistake. I had been taking 2000 or 3000/day.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetHeleMae
Stats: 166.5/165.5/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 09/09/2013
I survived the induction flu! Today I had my yearly physical. I was to have a mammogram following the dr visit. Just as she started the manual exam, the lights went out with a bang! We were told to all go to the front of the building. I quickly put on my jacket and just grabbed my other clothing. Then we were told to all go home. There was an apparent electrical fire. The DR called later and told me to come back, so I ended up getting everything done today in spite of the fire. I need to be fasting for the cholesterol blood test so will do that tomorrow. I am feeling great today, and loving this EFGT plan.
JanetHeleMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetHeleMae View Post
I survived the induction flu! Today I had my yearly physical. I was to have a mammogram following the dr visit. Just as she started the manual exam, the lights went out with a bang! We were told to all go to the front of the building. I quickly put on my jacket and just grabbed my other clothing. Then we were told to all go home. There was an apparent electrical fire. The DR called later and told me to come back, so I ended up getting everything done today in spite of the fire. I need to be fasting for the cholesterol blood test so will do that tomorrow. I am feeling great today, and loving this EFGT plan.
Hooray!
I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. It's SOOOO satisfying!!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #119
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Hi all! I'm back but jet lagged to the max! And I am NOT weighing anytime soon!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy! back!!