Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #601
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Sharon: I started going to a LCarb weight loss doctor and she put me on it. I have always tested my glucose for fun and it was always around 100 before I ate..Should be in the 90's or below. So, she thought I might be insulin resistant, and she gives most of her patients this prescription..A lot of post meno women need this. The "name" she puts down is dysmetabolic syndrome so you aren't labelled "diabetic" on your insurance. You can't buy it over the counter, but it is a very harmless drug with lots of good side benefits. If you have a cooperative doctor, they might prescribe this for you. I started with 500 ER at night and had her increase it to 1000 ER at night..

Look at that little baby Shelby..She is a doll..Glad she is feeling her oats..

So, I called the 800 number for our insurance company and filed the claim. The adjuster should call me Monday or Tues to set up an appointment..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #602

Judy: Big question of the day...How was the dressing/stuffing???
Old 11-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #603
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Thank you for the info Carolyn. My reading on fasting bs is below 90 so I'm good on that. I'll still keep being careful on the fat/protein ratio and see what happens. So glad to see you getting good results now.

Oh my, Deb, Shelby is a real cutie. Have fun in the snow with your new boots.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #604
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Judy: Big question of the day...How was the dressing/stuffing???
OH I can't believe I failed to tell you!!
Everybody LOVED it. PLUS I announced it was low carb, gluten-free bread. They said it tasted as good as always. I'm always surprised when people eat my mother's dressing/stuffing - the only thing I do differently is to make it toasty on top instead of a big bunch of wet mushy bread.

Using Maria's sub recipe I cooked it in my muffin top pan, so had 6 discs.
I diced it into a small dice. Whatever you do that this point, it will retain this shape, so a small dice is good.

It did not dry out overnight, so I put the diced bread into a 200 degree oven for about 20 minutes. It was very dry and firm them (still not at all objectionable to us, but possibly not what others way).

I continued with the regular dressing recipe - sweated diced onion and diced celery in about 3T butter. Put a beaten egg in a bowl, added the "bread", about 2tsp. of poultry seasoning, a shake or two of sage, some pieces of turkey from the day before, slowly added the cooked vegetables, then added chicken broth, trying to get it to hold together like it used to. Another eggs might have gotten me there, but my whole family likes it toasty rather than sticky, so that's how I left it.

I have NO leftovers, darnit. But I thought it was very good and will keep that recipe for the next time.

Thanks for asking!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #605
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, as they were leaving my DDIL asked me what in the world I was eating to have lost so much weight. She's lost weight, too, recently - they lost a 2-1/2-month pregnancy several months ago.... , but is still working at it. She's running and doing pilates. I think she did NutriSystem for a few months.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #606
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I made a pumpkin pie recipe from the William Sonoma site and it was the best EVER!! I don't care for pumpkin pie but the BF wanted so I thought, perfect, no temptation, right?
This recipe was insane!! It calls for heavy whipping cream instead of condensed milk, cinnamon, fresh nutmeg, ginger and cloves and the thing that really made it, 1 1/4 cups of DARK brown sugar, which gave it a molasses tang. I can't stay out of it!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #607
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I made a pumpkin pie recipe from the William Sonoma site and it was the best EVER!! I don't care for pumpkin pie but the BF wanted so I thought, perfect, no temptation, right?
This recipe was insane!! It calls for heavy whipping cream instead of condensed milk, cinnamon, fresh nutmeg, ginger and cloves and the thing that really made it, 1 1/4 cups of DARK brown sugar, which gave it a molasses tang. I can't stay out of it!
Tell you what: When I grow 3" taller and am 30 pounds less, I will allow myself to wade right into that pie, too!

Good for you for making something wonderful. Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #608
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Carolyn, thanks for the cereal recipe and congrats on the 150. Looks like the met is helping, I hoped it would.

Shelby is sooo pretty! So glad she is better.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #609
Big Yapper!!!!

DH and I ventured out about 10 to look at tv's. Finally ended up getting the best deal, we think, at Costco, so had to renew our membership. Got it home and poor DSIL is trying to hook it up and having problems. DH not good at all these days about things like this.

I have not eaten anything but my coffee and CO yet today, have to eat soon but hate to eat while DSIL is working away.

Oh, Judy, that dressing sounds just like what I would love. Might have to make it to go with my leftover turkey.

And, the pumpkin pie sounds devine. My sisters recipe calls for part brown sugar and cream, it is a very good pie.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #610
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy congrats on DDIL mentioning your weight loss. The inches really seem to show up on this WOE.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #611

Judy: Thank you for experimenting with the dressing..I might have to make this before I defrost one of our 2 new turkeys..I love dressing with pork and chicken, too.

Buffy: I do think that the Met does help curb your appetite, too..Did you find that?

Oh...and I made those Simple Brownies from Lauren. I used all almond flour (1/2 cup total) and they were perfect..I was missing some chocolate in my life.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #612
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, the met helps at first with appetite, it does wear off but helps for quite a while. BTW gals, I was using Xanthan gum in my gravy, not glucomman powder like I wrote earlier, sorry.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #613
Big Yapper!!!!

Love those brownies, might add more almond and less oat flour next time, to drop the carbs but they were perfect.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #614
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I'm glad you made those brownies, too. It's next on my list.

Don't know where I was when I copied this recipe but it sure made my house smell good and now that they're dry they taste very good. Not super sweet at all (next time I'm going to add more sweetener) but plenty sweet enough. VERY festive and happy to have this recipe.

Carolyn my mother made your pumpkin torte (we're having it tonight) and had 3 egg whites leftover, so I used them in this:

SWEET AND SALTY PECANS (Rachael Connelly)

4 cups roasted and salted pecans
3 egg whites-beaten
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup Splenda (Judy used Swerve + a little DaVinci vanilla - might put in a couple of
drops of EZ Sweetz next time)
1 tsp salt (at least - I like salty & sweet)
1 stick of butter-melted

Pour the melted butter on a pan(one with a lip).
Mix all the ingredients together and then add the pecans.
Stir and pour over top of the butter lathered pan.

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 min. Stir a couple of times during the baking.
Then let them cool and break them up.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #615

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Hi all!
Our Thanksgiving was wonderful. Great time with family and friends and of course good food. The pecan pie I made (Kevinpa's recipe) was absolutely fantastic!!!!! SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOD!! A definite keeper for sure! Even the crust! It tasted like regular pie crust! And your pumpkin torte was great too Carolyn. It's so nice to know we can have these in our holiday recipes to count on. That dressing sounds good Judy. Do you have any problems making that sub bread? I know a lot of people seem to and it's kind of scared me away. We did have turkey sandwiches today with the cheesy bread that I had made again. I had made them in my whoopie pie pan, so each round slice equals one slice of bread. It was fantastic too!! Oh, and I weighed this a.m. and then looked at the day after Thanksgiving from last year and I weighed exactly the same down to the tenth of a pound! Weird, huh?

Shelby is so pretty!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #616

Yeah for Kevin's pecan pie...I'll have to look that up again..

Glad everyone enjoyed the Pumpkin Torte..I need to make it again..

Those pecans sound great...Did you use salted or unsalted butter???
Old 11-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #617

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Oh, sorry, I forgot to congratulate you Carolyn and Buffy!! WTG on losing over a feast day! That's wonderful. I'm so glad the met is helping you Carolyn. Did Beth love her scarf and cowl? So sorry to hear about the deer and your car too. I'm glad you were ok though. That's very scary!

That pie tastes just like I remember those little Bama Pecan Pies tasting. You know, the kind you get at convenience stores? The isomalt is causing a little bit of flatulence but that makes it a good deterrent to over eating it, right? I WILL be making it again.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #618
Big Yapper!!!!

EZ Sweets on sale half price, use code THKS2012, just ordered some
Old 11-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #619

Yesterday I saw a Bama pie at the Jump Start..LOL..I was tempted for 2 seconds..On the flatulence subject..My LC doctor says it is a good thing for your body..The "gas" seems to be good for your intestines..LOL.

Beth liked her scarf..and cowl..Thanks..She will need it up in the mountains.

We were thankful we didn't have to call a tow truck an hour from home and that we could drive it home safely...
Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #620
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Good morning girls,
Hope you're all well.
I had such an active day yesterday, so strange. Did major house-cleaning (mopping) & preparing for guests in the morning. Then we did our big "trek" through 10 inches of snow on a hilly hike, with the neighbor. Actually still had the energy to put together dinner & enjoy fellowship with our guests. Its just amazing to me! I still lasted longer through the day then dh, who went to bed while I checked my email & boards... I just have to wrap my head around all this energy!

My balancing act with the thyroid/adrenals continues. Temps have dropped below 98 again, so I'm upping thyroid again. Still haven't tested TSH, as I'm still working on it. Not that TSH has much importance...

Shelby's doing great. We seem to have passed through that trial! Thanks again for all the prayers & comments.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #621

Good morning..

One pound found me, but still at my new low for more than one day, 151..Salty brat last night, maybe?

Going to meet my Wichita brother/sister in law for a quick lunch. She always looks marvelous all the time..No kids and a good hairdresser is her secret..LOL.

Poor KSU lost to Michigan (ranked 4th) in basketball. I wasn't surprised, but at least they did pretty well.

Had a brownie and coffee for breakfast..My favorite breakfast is dessert and coffee..LC, of course.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Debby: How far north are you up there??? I do think in the winter people might have to take more thyroid meds, I've read..I'll be tested this month..

Last edited by CarolynF; 11-24-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #622
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning Carolyn,
Yes, pretty far north. Half-way up the province of BC. I hadn't heard that about taking more in the winter. Interesting. Since I've been gradually increasing, I figured my body is slowly getting adjusted. But it is colder, so you could be on to something. Thanks!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #623

Wow...My dh and ds have been to Burn's Lake..It's beautiful way up north.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #624
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Wow...My dh and ds have been to Burn's Lake..It's beautiful way up north.
That's pretty close. We like to think Smithers is the "prettiest" but Burn's Lake area is pretty too. We're an 2 hours further north, but they're "colder" then us, just a bit. What were your fellows up here for?
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #625

Their company sells industrial dryers, so they had one there..Dh does go to BC a lot..
We went to Vancouver for vacation once..Very nice..and Vancouver Island, too..
Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #626
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Sounds very cold where you are Debby but I imagine it is a beautiful place to live, and judging by the pictures you posted, I know it is.

I hit another new low this morning, only b/c I slept late, otherwise I think my weight would have been the same as yesterday, but 192.4 this AM so I am proudly claiming it. We have a wedding to go to tonight and I have to get in the closet and see what I am going to wear. I wasn't going to buy something new b/c it wouldn't be something I would wear often and hoping that it wouldn't fit by the next wedding. So, it will be something I have and probably plenty big on me but I will wear it proudly .

Your brownie and coffee b/fast sounds perfect to me Carolyn. I will eat something before I go tonight, so I am not tempted by good things I should not eat.

Debby, can't believe your energy level and I am so happy for you and all the work you have done to heal yourself.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #627
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning!
Sounds very cold where you are Debby but I imagine it is a beautiful place to live, and judging by the pictures you posted, I know it is.

I hit another new low this morning, only b/c I slept late, otherwise I think my weight would have been the same as yesterday, but 192.4 this AM so I am proudly claiming it. We have a wedding to go to tonight and I have to get in the closet and see what I am going to wear. I wasn't going to buy something new b/c it wouldn't be something I would wear often and hoping that it wouldn't fit by the next wedding. So, it will be something I have and probably plenty big on me but I will wear it proudly .

Your brownie and coffee b/fast sounds perfect to me Carolyn. I will eat something before I go tonight, so I am not tempted by good things I should not eat.

Debby, can't believe your energy level and I am so happy for you and all the work you have done to heal yourself.
Hi friends,
It must be like a new life for you having energy where you had none. Congratulations on all the attention you have paid to get yourself so much better.

Buffy this is just amazing. How much fun for you. Indeed, wear those baggy clothes proudly.

Carolyn I love a sweet for breakfast - or I always have. Cereal used to be that "sweet" for me. I guess I go through phases and I am kind of skipping breakfast now - well - 1 Tbsp. coconut oil is typically what I have now. If not, it's eggs.

I'm not measuring and weighing foods again until after Christmas (unless my weight goes up). I think I've gotten used to what I can eat in the right portions. If I go "over" it's in protein only. I am absolutely amazed at the good food we can eat that I would not have had a few years ago calling it a "diet".
Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #628
Big Yapper!!!!

I am in that same mood right now Judy, not going to weigh, measure or log, just eat LC of the foods I know I can eat. My problem is worrying about not getting enough protein b/c like yesterday, I got so busy I only ate 1 real meal. I do drink about 3 big mugs with say 4 T of CO for breakfast/all morning now, so that is lot of calories, takes the place of a meal. I need to add in a J Robb shake on the days I only eat one meal with meat. I noticed since I quit logging that my BF % is inching back up on my tanita scale, instead of inching downward. Not good.

I want to try the cereal Carolyn posted too, that sounds so good.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #629
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HOW DOES THAT SCALE KNOW???

Well obviously you're right about adding some protein to preserve LBM.

Did you ever in your born days think you would have to tell yourself to eat something?
I never ever ever thought that, but I'm in your position.
I'm not at my goal weight, but am in a position to have to remind myself to eat the proper foods. SHEESH!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #630
Big Yapper!!!!

Right, I have never ever had this much control over eating. And, not craving carby foods. I do still want treats, but, I am perfectly satisfied with the LC treats that I have found and make, no desire to cheat at all. I feel mine if a combination of my diabetic meds that help control my BG and keep it low, eating LC and consistently staying on it, no cheating, and my age, your appetite does decrease with age, I had begin to wonder if that was really true but it does seem to be. So, while I hate it, I watch my DD's still struggle with sticking to this WOE and it seems so easy for me. In fact, like you say Judy, sometimes I have to remind myself to eat, or I have this slight feeling of hunger but nothing that is easy to fix sounds good and I am too lazy to go make a full blown meal. I do love it when I get several things made up and have a nice selection to pick from when I go to the kitchen, but then have to be careful or I end up throwing some of that away. DH acts like what I fix is forbidden food, won't hardly touch it b/c his is so afraid of my "diet" food.

Pulled on my favorite pair of jeans yesterday to go shopping for tv, hmmm, they were plenty big. I think that is the smallest pair of just regular blue jeans I have. A few more lbs and I will hit the resale shops or super sales. I don't want to get much and we do have 2 very nice resale shops right nearby. Most of my clothes aren't that fitted so will allow for more than one size but things are getting baggy. Will be nice to get have to finally get rid of things I have hung onto and hung on to because now there will be no reason, they will just plain be too big. Maybe I will finally get back to a reasonable amount of clothing instead of wayyyy too much.