Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #511
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Oh, Debby..My friend adopted a lab and it had Parvo, but pulled through wonderfully..Praying for little Shelby and wisdom for the doctors.

Off to exercise..Then Dianne is taking me to lunch..(Caesar Salad/chicken/no croutons)..Plan ahead..LOL

Check in later.
Sounds like a great day.

Remember 10 or so years ago when everybody was doing Atkins again? Chicken Caesar was the easiest thing to order.
I STILL LOVE a good chicken Caesar salad. During all the lowfat baloney I would order it and try to eat half or very little... now I can just enjoy it.

I hope you enjoy your day, Carolyn!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #512
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
How adorable Buffy!

I felt totally back to normal today. Thank goodness, I think I missed that bullet.

Judy, lay down!!!!

Kcjudi, Thanks. I had finally called Bichelmeyers and found it. AND they make their OWN lard. All the lard I've found at stores in those nifty little buckets has "partially hydrogenated veg oil" in it! So much for pure lard, right? Anyway, it's good to know I can get it so close and we shop down there for meat pretty regularly anyway. Thanks for the tip though. I guess great minds think alike, lol.

We just ate the last of the chocolate peanut butter pie. I loved that pie! DH not so much. He doesn't even really like the real thing either so no surprise there. I guess I'll make another LC Pecan Pie to take for him for Thanksgiving day. And some of the LC dressing.
Sandy, that is the best lard if you can find it, I had no luck last time I looked/called around. First of all, it is hard to find someone who even knows what you are trying to find.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #513
Big Yapper!!!!

to Carolyn, you are still very young, haven't reached the medicare age yet!!! Sorry I am a day late to the party, but to a long time friend!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #514
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Good morning girls,
Thanks for your prayers! Shelby seems better this morning. She's vigorously eating "snow" and did drink her water during the night. Still not eating, but at least she's not dehydrated. I'll be taking her in to the vets this morning.

Those of you who know dogs that survived this... how long did it take to run its course? Did they just keep them hydrated?

I'm afraid my sensitive adrenals had a freak-out last night. Major anxiety & stress all night, didn't sleep much... will have to take much more isocort today.

Your lunch sounds yummy Carolyn. I like that you can plan ahead & enjoy that way. I try to see the menu before going out too, but around here it seems to not do me much good. Although, now that I'm adding salt, maybe it won't be quite as hard.

Have a good day! I'll update you as things progress on Shelby. Thank you for keeping her in prayer! Jesus is the best healer!
We are all pulling for little Shelby, let us know what the vet says!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #515
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Buffy, I think you need to add Protonix, a proton pump inhibitor, to your Nexium. Have you had an EGD? You may need a scope to look at what's going on. You can get into serious trouble with an ulcer or erosive esophagitus.
Thanks Cindy, I did have that done this past spring, that is the dr. who told me to just take nexium as long as needed, it wouldn't hurt me? I had went to him to see if I was a candidate for a surgery that fixes gerd but I have a hernia that is too large to allow that. He said everything looked fine though and suggested prisolec instead of nexium due to the cost of nexium. So, I got the prescription prisolec in generic form. That is what I am trying to slowly wean myself off of now and I expect it to take months if not longer, but hoping it will work with new WOE. He said I didn't appear to have any damage from it.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #516
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks Cindy, I did have that done this past spring, that is the dr. who told me to just take nexium as long as needed, it wouldn't hurt me? I had went to him to see if I was a candidate for a surgery that fixes gerd but I have a hernia that is too large to allow that. He said everything looked fine though and suggested prisolec instead of nexium due to the cost of nexium. So, I got the prescription prisolec in generic form. That is what I am trying to slowly wean myself off of now and I expect it to take months if not longer, but hoping it will work with new WOE. He said I didn't appear to have any damage from it.
You may have told me that! This conversation sounds familiar!! You must have a hiatal hernia.(?) Glad that they are on top of it. Weight loss often helps and you are excelling in that department!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #517
Big Yapper!!!!

Debby, this sounds a lot like what you have been through, but I am not quite sure about all this. You two might have a lot in common.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post16087717
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #518
Big Yapper!!!!

Debby, it is Shelley, not sure if the above link takes you to the right post or not, let me know if it doesn't.

Cindy, yes on the hernia. I need to talk to my Dr. about having it fixed, it bothers me more and more, if I bend over or sit the wrong way, it feels like part of something goes up into somewhere it should not Does that make any sense? I should read up on it I guess.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Debby, it is Shelley, not sure if the above link takes you to the right post or not, let me know if it doesn't.

Cindy, yes on the hernia. I need to talk to my Dr. about having it fixed, it bothers me more and more, if I bend over or sit the wrong way, it feels like part of something goes up into somewhere it should not Does that make any sense? I should read up on it I guess.
I'll be surprised if that post isn't removed.
I've finally found the way to do it.
Just use the word google, then say whatever the website is. Never try to explain that the words shouldn't have spaces and never use the words, oh I'm not even going to say it but the second word is com.

After I got in trouble, I was amazed at all the posts that didn't get removed where they steered you to another website - even or especially those websites that sell things. I finally realized if you say the word google and then say whatever the website is, it's OK.

By the way Buffy that healthcheckusa is the place I used to get a blood draw to test my own thyroid. I was under the impression she had some way to check her own thyroid levels. It was about the price she mentioned.

When I got myself to a doctor she had a full blood panel ordered. $600. So I'm thinking that healthcheckusa is a good price. Your insurance might cover yours, though.

Soooo, Buffy..... will that for sure be an operation to fix the hernia? I hope there's an expensive hotel for your recovery while I come take care of you!

Last edited by JMCM1; 11-19-2012 at 10:34 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #520
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, I finally learned I cannot link to any other site, but like you, I see a lot of very very good clues to find what they are directing you to, LOL. I suppose they can't catch all of them. I seem to be doing ok on my levoxyl for thyroid, but my DD's all have various problems with dosages and I wonder if more thorough testing might be more productive. Or, my Dr. seems to do all the right tests, just how good are they from that point?

Ok, I would guess it would be a simple surgery to fix the hernia, of course I forget about it until that weird thing happens, and that is never when I am where I can think about making an appt. to talk to Dr. about it.

I will check with DSIL and see if he wouldn't want to put you and I up at the Ritz for a few days to help me recover from that "operation" I would be having???? I am guessing that in my case, DH would drive me home, order me to bed and say "I will be back later, call me if you want me to pick up anything for you". I could always plead my case and tell him that there is now way I could come home to our 4 furbabies after an ordeal such as that!!!

I would wonder if healthcheck place would work for insurance coverage if a doctor hadn't ordered the test? That is what I have been wondering when I have my cholesterol tested here in the near future.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #521
Big Yapper!!!!

DGS Grant is coming over today, going to bag up some leaves for us in the backyard to earn some money for the family trip next summer and then going to spend the night with us. Tomorrow I will see if he wants to go with me to deliver my toffee orders. I just have 3 so it won't take long.

I seem to always have something I am wanting, last week it was a new french door fridge, not this week I am convincing myself that I don't need that but man, would I love to have a new Apple desktop computer. And, only because my keyboard is acting up today so got me thinking of buying a new one, but, I want to get a Mac on my next computer and the keyboard comes with it, so I wouldn't want to buy a keyboard now, so then I got online and looked at Macs, and then I quit wanting the fridge and am wanting a new computer, , I am a mess gals. I don't need either at this point, and won't be getting either, but seems I always am wanting something and yet DH says I am hard to buy for , what's up with that?

Carolyn, have you decided on your birthday gift as yet? We all want to know, we all love to shop you know.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I will check with DSIL and see if he wouldn't want to put you and I up at the Ritz for a few days to help me recover from that "operation" I would be having???? I am guessing that in my case, DH would drive me home, order me to bed and say "I will be back later, call me if you want me to pick up anything for you". I could always plead my case and tell him that there is now way I could come home to our 4 furbabies after an ordeal such as that!!!
Excellent plan. You can't believe how much I would wait on you at the Ritz!
My spoiled brat dog is so demanding so I can't imagine having to wait on 4 dogs after surgery!
Of course after hearing about Debby's Shelby my dog has gotten everything she wants.

Quote:
I would wonder if healthcheck place would work for insurance coverage if a doctor hadn't ordered the test? That is what I have been wondering when I have my cholesterol tested here in the near future.
You probably don't need to go through healthcheck if your doc is willing to check for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4, heck while they're at it, check for total T3 and total T4 (unless Cindy has other thoughts).

It was Cindy's advice I test for TSH, FT3 and FT4. And indeed, that was sufficient for me to get an Rx.

I was given levothyroxine. I hadn't had any night sweats in my life until 2-1/2 weeks into that. I saw my doc after 30 days and she changed the Rx to natural thyroid. The night sweats have stopped, but I still get warm at night and have had much disrupted sleep. It was Debby's advice that steered me to the natural thyroid because it contains T3 support.

By the way - not everyone responds the way I did to levothyroxine - sometimes it is THE answer for some (Kristn on the NK thread, for example [I think]). So it may be great for you or your DDs.

I guess it's a big fat balancing act all in itself!

Last edited by JMCM1; 11-19-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #523
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Thanks Ladies,
Shelby's at the vet's. They did a barium Xray & see something in her stomach. Now we have to see if the barium will push it through. If not, she goes in for surgery & get fixed tomorrow. (she said to combine the two would be a savings & perfectly safe for Shelby). Probably a piece of plastic, she said. Thanks for praying with me for this!

What a relief though... she said Shelby's not run down at all & now has fluids in her again. I was sure she was at death's door last night! Praise the Lord!

DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #524
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm a big fan of prayer. So happy she is in good hands. Sounds like they know what they're doing.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #525
Big Yapper!!!!

4 cats
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #526
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I'll be surprised if that post isn't removed.
I've finally found the way to do it.
Just use the word google, then say whatever the website is. Never try to explain that the words shouldn't have spaces and never use the words, oh I'm not even going to say it but the second word is com.

After I got in trouble, I was amazed at all the posts that didn't get removed where they steered you to another website - even or especially those websites that sell things. I finally realized if you say the word google and then say whatever the website is, it's OK.
Oh I just got spanked recently. I thought you couldn't post sites that would be in competition with Netrition. You can't post a link to any site.

Quote:
I have insurance but use Healthcheck a lot. I found that my usual Thyroid panel could be bundled in and ended up with a thyroid panel, a super heart chemistry and an iron level for $85. That includes a complete cholesterol screen. My usual Thyroid panel is $85 by itself from this site so it pays to read the site and see what they bundle together that may interest you.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #527
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
4 cats
Cat and a horse.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #528
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh I just got spanked recently. I thought you couldn't post sites that would be in competition with Netrition. You can't post a link to any site.
I hope I grow up enough to stop taking it personally. When I see others doing it in VERY popular threads, it makes me wonder.... particularly when I've mentioned sites that sell nothing but their opinion.

Quote:
I have insurance but use Healthcheck a lot. I found that my usual Thyroid panel could be bundled in and ended up with a thyroid panel, a super heart chemistry and an iron level for $85. That includes a complete cholesterol screen. My usual Thyroid panel is $85 by itself from this site so it pays to read the site and see what they bundle together that may interest you.
Cindy do you have low iron? I've given blood lots of times in my life and here just recently I've had low iron, so can't give the double (platelets, I think). My last hugely expensive blood test said low iron, too, and she's asking me to repeat that test. I'm going to eat a steak and spinach salad tonight and do my test tomorrow. I don't feel tired.

Someone on another thread mentioned low B12 can be masked by low iron. I've been taking a nice B-50 complex for years.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #529
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Cat and a horse.
Ah, horses. Great love, great expense!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #530
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
4 cats
Oh.
I doubt that'll get us a room at the Ritz! The worst thing your cats will want to do is sit on you - especially where your bandages might be!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #531
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gang..

Oh, Buffy, I'm hoping this way of eating will help you.. Gary's uncle had that "hernia"..
He could never eat after 4 p.m. or he was sleeping in the recliner all night...Not fun at all.

Lunch was fun..I was very good..

Oh..we have a brand new big Braums in town..Honestly, for a small town, it is like the Circus coming to town..LOL..Same groceries..And, they discontinued the Carb Watchers Ice Cream, but they "replaced" with the Sugar Free Frozen Yogurt, which had about 8 or so net carbs per serving. Malitol is the sweetner of choice..not good for me.

Debby: Oh...glad it was only "plastic"..Praying that that will pass nicely..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #532
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

That's a great deal Cindy! Thanks to all of you for your help.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #533
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I hope I grow up enough to stop taking it personally. When I see others doing it in VERY popular threads, it makes me wonder.... particularly when I've mentioned sites that sell nothing but their opinion.

Cindy do you have low iron? I've given blood lots of times in my life and here just recently I've had low iron, so can't give the double (platelets, I think). My last hugely expensive blood test said low iron, too, and she's asking me to repeat that test. I'm going to eat a steak and spinach salad tonight and do my test tomorrow. I don't feel tired.

Someone on another thread mentioned low B12 can be masked by low iron. I've been taking a nice B-50 complex for years.
Naughty, don't try to fool your blood work!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #534
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi gang..

Oh, Buffy, I'm hoping this way of eating will help you.. Gary's uncle had that "hernia"..
He could never eat after 4 p.m. or he was sleeping in the recliner all night...Not fun at all.

Lunch was fun..I was very good..

Oh..we have a brand new big Braums in town..Honestly, for a small town, it is like the Circus coming to town..LOL..Same groceries..And, they discontinued the Carb Watchers Ice Cream, but they "replaced" with the Sugar Free Frozen Yogurt, which had about 8 or so net carbs per serving. Malitol is the sweetner of choice..not good for me.

Debby: Oh...glad it was only "plastic"..Praying that that will pass nicely..
LOL at the new Braum's, it is bad enough here when a new store opens but I know what you mean, being in a smaller town. When the super walmart opened in my cousins hometown it was the event of a decade.

I looked the other day for the Braum's Lc ice cream, saw it was gone. Malitol is not my friend either, nor whatever was in the old Braum's LC. I do miss ice cream.

Hoping we hear from Debby soon.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #535
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Buffy,

I am just going to throw this out there and I could be COMPLETELY off base.
So now I'll trudge right on in!

I have no evidence except myself and my sister who were not eating low carb prior to June 4. My sister was already diagnosed hypothyroid and I began having some symptoms. My sister's symptoms REALLY were severe - so tired, but not sleeping so well was the biggest.

Her TSH was VERY high - out of range. I don't think her doc tests FT3 & FT4, so he just upped her thyroid med. She's feeling pretty well now.

The only Ask the Low Carb Experts podcast I heard about thyroid was that there was no evidence low carb crashed your thyroid.
So having said that, maybe you should have your thyroid levels checked?

I know you said you were not as tired, and maybe it was just a phase. I still haven't fully shaken my virus. I did, however, lose 2 pounds of (probably) lean muscle mass.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #536
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Hi
Well, brought Shelby home, let her stay out, since she'd been locked in a cage all day... put away my groceries, not worrying about her because dh reassured me that she was just enjoying being outside... 30 minutes later she hadn't come to the door... so I went looking for her. It took me half an hour of calling & hiking around & around the house. So, I spot her sitting on the other side of the gully, not moving. So I had to hike down the bank & carry her home. I put her on her bed & she hasn't moved. I don't know what's up. But I do think she's really ticked at me for taking her there! Poor baby.
Unfortunately it looks like she's gonna have to go back tomorrow... think I might see if I can get dh to take her in!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #537
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Debby..yes it is Daddy's turn to go to the vet.. Poor little gal..

Ladies, ladies..

I just posted a new breakfast casserole in the Recipe area. Creamy Breakfast Lasagne..is the name and it would be great for the holidays..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #538
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Oh my so glad the vet found out was the problem. Puppy's eat the darnedest things!

Hadn't read down far enough. Praying for little Shelby.

Last edited by Shalbrihil; 11-19-2012 at 07:00 PM..
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #539
Big Yapper!!!!

Sharon, how great to see you, how pretty you are!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #540
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Sharon! Nice to "see" you!!

Heck and darn, Debby, I hope she's just pouting and not still sick...
Did they do surgery?

Carolyn - off to copy your new recipe! Thanks in advance!