Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #361
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Thanks Buffy,
I do love my view. It constantly changes.
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
WOW Debby - pretty much as I pictured! So beautiful!!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #363
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals..

Oat flour is more carby than oat fiber..and different..

Buffy: I was watching my blood sugars and they were around 100ish most of the time. So, I was happy when my LC dr. gave me Metformin to try..Because most of the time, I was quite LC with no weight loss...So, I am the guinea piggy oink..on this to see if will get my blood glucose below 100 most of the time.

Debby: Wow...what a gorgeous view and fun with the horses..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Beautiful view Debby. You are so blessed. Hug your puppy for me
Shalbrihil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn you seem like the perfect candidate for metformin. If you were eating low carb and your blood sugar was not below 100, this is perfect for you!

Question for you all who've been through these holidays low carb - is there a way to make gravy without wheat flour? I do have xanthan, and glucomannan. I've just never tried.

And I think I'm going to let my dd make mashed potatoes, and I'll make a small serving of steamed or roasted cauliflower, turnips, whatever (got the recipe from Susie Gibbs at Carbsmart magazine) it's a mixture of those less-carby root vegetables + cauliflower.

If I have to make gravy for them and not for me, I can stand that, too.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #366
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I am not a doctor nor have I played on on tv, Oh, I know, a terribly old joke! But, when I see someone who eats very lc, as I know you have Carolyn, and still has BG readings of 100 or above, then I usually think, wow, bet that person would test positive for diabetes if they weren't eating LC, or at least be moving in that direction. So, yes, I think the metformin is definitely a good idea for you. I wonder why more doctors don't give it to patients, like my sister, whose blood sugar goes up just a little on each annual physical. Anxious to see what happens. When I first started it, I lost weight without even going LC.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #367
Big Yapper!!!!

Debby, you could sell Christmas cards, just snapping pictures around your place.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #368
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, I have made some good gravy by adding HWC to the pan juices, then simmering a while to cook it down and or adding just a tiny bit of Xanthan gum. You don't want to add much or it gets slimy and yucko, slimy gravy isn't good gravy. A good way, I recently read this on here, is to melt some fat, or butter, then whisk about a t of gum into that so that it doesn't lump. This is for just a small amount of gravy.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #369
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, DD did another taste test, the swerve does upset her tummy . Darn, I was hoping it wouldn't but will make her stuff with splenda and stevia from now on.

I was planning on making a pan of brownies out of the almond cake recipe today, with lots of pecans, and taking it to a party tonight, but now I am a little hesitant. Our dinner club is getting together tonight to do a painting class, they swear we will all bring home a painting we will be proud of I have a place to hang mine, it is in my closet, behind my rack of clothes Will be a fun night though.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #370
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Judy, I have made some good gravy by adding HWC to the pan juices, then simmering a while to cook it down and or adding just a tiny bit of Xanthan gum. You don't want to add much or it gets slimy and yucko, slimy gravy isn't good gravy. A good way, I recently read this on here, is to melt some fat, or butter, then whisk about a t of gum into that so that it doesn't lump. This is for just a small amount of gravy.
Well that sounds easy. I tend toward adding HWC to the pan juices. I have only used the gum for "baking" and I kind of hate to risk the Thanksgiving gravy!! Now... HWC to juices is do-able! Thanks!

Quote:
Well, DD did another taste test, the swerve does upset her tummy . Darn, I was hoping it wouldn't but will make her stuff with splenda and stevia from now on.

I was planning on making a pan of brownies out of the almond cake recipe today, with lots of pecans, and taking it to a party tonight, but now I am a little hesitant. Our dinner club is getting together tonight to do a painting class, they swear we will all bring home a painting we will be proud of I have a place to hang mine, it is in my closet, behind my rack of clothes Will be a fun night though.

OH NO - Swerve upsets her tummy? Well, at least Splenda doesn't. Maybe mixing some Splenda with a little Stevia helps that, too. And EZ-Sweetz is pretty good for sweetening - it's liquid sucralose and DaVinci products all good. Gosh, I'm all Pollyanna sunshine and rainbows.

Oh Buffy I'm with you - I can barely draw a conclusion. I can barely draw stick figures. This makes me want you to take a picture of your painting.
Maybe you're better than you think!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #371

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Wow Debby!!! What a beautiful place to call home.

Dinner theater was good. Not great, but good.

I've not been very strict this week and my scale is letting me know about it. Lol. Got to get back on track before the big day next week.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #372
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Wow Debby!!! What a beautiful place to call home.

Dinner theater was good. Not great, but good.

I've not been very strict this week and my scale is letting me know about it. Lol. Got to get back on track before the big day next week.
Those darn scales will rat you out, every time!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #373
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, trust me, after this many years, I KNOW my painting will be bad I am just going for the fun, can't even say I am going for the food and wine these days!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #374
Big Yapper!!!!

I have all the liquid splenda, stevia, syrups, etc. so am sure I can come up with something for DD, it's just that baking with the swerve is so sugarlike and so easy. She has always been very sensitive to any of the sweeteners.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #375
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetHeleMae
Stats: 166.5/165.5/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 09/09/2013
Coconut cream can be found in with drink mixers
JanetHeleMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #376
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Oh Buffy I'm with you - I can barely draw a conclusion. I can barely draw stick figures. This makes me want you to take a picture of your painting.
Maybe you're better than you think!
I don't know which will be worse, if I scan in my latest drivers license picture, or scan a picture of my painting.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #377

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I think if somebody invented a very forgiving scale they'd be instant millionaires! Lolol.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #378
Big Yapper!!!!

Sandy, shall we all go in on that?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #379
Big Yapper!!!!

DD just sent me a text, she saw a new low and is wearing size 14 pants to work today, has been in size 16. I am so happy for her.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #380
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok gang, I do my meds up once a month, have 4 AM 7 day containers and 4 PM 7 day containers. I keep getting ideas for supplements, especially since coming back to LC and they all sound like I really really should add them. I decided when I got done yesterday that some of them have to go and I will not be buying them anymore. Here is my list:

CoQ10 will keep this and it is in the Heart Savior that Sandy recommends, so I will see what amount is in it to see if I need to keep the additional
Postassium - On a RX for it plus had to add 4 99mc a day due to leg cramps, will talk to dr. about this in Jan., maybe he will increase the RX to a higher dose
Magnesium - will keep this and have worked up to 800 per day
Omega 3 EPA & DHA - plan on keeping this as it seems to help lower my cholesterol
Probiotic - need to keep this, believe in the benefits of this
Vitamin D3- taking on doctors orders as I tested low on this.

What I am giving up is biotin, silica, horsetail, these were all for hair and nails but I feel my current WOE should be providing the nutrients I need for this.
Valerian - dropping this but will probably keep on taking the melatonin to help sleep, although the magnesium helps with that.

Still seems like I am taking soo much along with my 3 BP pills, my thyroid pill and my 2 diabetes meds. Am hoping to be able to drop one or more of the BP meds as I lose more weight.

Feel like a drugstore!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #381
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetHeleMae View Post
Coconut cream can be found in with drink mixers
Janet - thank you so much! The coconut cream I bought yesterday was in the Asian section. I luckily found out before opening the can that it contained a bunch of sugar - can't believe I didn't check at the store!

I will be happy to finally find that coconut cream! Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Ok gang, I do my meds up once a month, have 4 AM 7 day containers and 4 PM 7 day containers. I keep getting ideas for supplements, especially since coming back to LC and they all sound like I really really should add them. I decided when I got done yesterday that some of them have to go and I will not be buying them anymore. Here is my list:

CoQ10 will keep this and it is in the Heart Savior that Sandy recommends, so I will see what amount is in it to see if I need to keep the additional
Postassium - On a RX for it plus had to add 4 99mc a day due to leg cramps, will talk to dr. about this in Jan., maybe he will increase the RX to a higher dose
Magnesium - will keep this and have worked up to 800 per day
Omega 3 EPA & DHA - plan on keeping this as it seems to help lower my cholesterol
Probiotic - need to keep this, believe in the benefits of this
Vitamin D3- taking on doctors orders as I tested low on this.

What I am giving up is biotin, silica, horsetail, these were all for hair and nails but I feel my current WOE should be providing the nutrients I need for this.
Valerian - dropping this but will probably keep on taking the melatonin to help sleep, although the magnesium helps with that.

Still seems like I am taking soo much along with my 3 BP pills, my thyroid pill and my 2 diabetes meds. Am hoping to be able to drop one or more of the BP meds as I lose more weight.

Feel like a drugstore!
Yep - I've taken supplements most of my adult life. I don't regret it though.
I agree with you on continuing to keep the supplements you have.

I took some I've since quit after they ran out - all for gut issues.
I have been able to resolve those with this WOE. I agree with you on the hair & nail issues being resolved by eating healthy fats. I have not been swimming in SO long and now I realize my beautiful long strong nails will eventually be crumbly and short when I start swimming again. I don't get my hair wet, but I think it's stopped falling out so much with the thyroid help. (Sounds beautiful, right? )
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
DD just sent me a text, she saw a new low and is wearing size 14 pants to work today, has been in size 16. I am so happy for her.
There is nothing to keep you focused like a smaller pant size.
Absolutely fantastic! (She's got a great mom!)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #384
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, thanks!

Your thyroid should be of great help to hair and nails. When my thyroid was really messed up, I lost the outer third of my eyebrows, that is a common sign I guess.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #385
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Judy, thanks!

Your thyroid should be of great help to hair and nails. When my thyroid was really messed up, I lost the outer third of my eyebrows, that is a common sign I guess.
Yes - my outer third are gone. I don't suppose they come back?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #386
Big Yapper!!!!

Mine did when I went on more thyroid, bio-idet hormones, etc. So, yes, they can and probably will.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #387

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals..

Yes, Buffy..I do think I would be definitely pre-diabetic..My hormone doctor didn't want to give me meds, but the LC dr. did..

Hmmm...I had a Quest Bar for breakie and I do think it raised my blood sugar quite a bit. Now, it has 21 carbs and 17 fibers for 4 net carbs. Watched a video about this with Diabetics eating the bars and everyone of them had big raises in blood sugar..Much more than 4 carbs or even 10 carbs would produce..So..dumping those for sure. Net carbs might not work for diabetics was the bottom line..Whole carbs should be considered when watching blood sugar levels..

Cooking the church turkey today and another one tomorrow..Akkk..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #388
Big Yapper!!!!

I haven't eaten but one bar since starting back on LC. So, not sure about the net carbs in those, but, I seem to do ok with pumpkin, avocados, nuts, etc., although, for the day, my total carbs are still less than 30 even when I eat those foods. I don't trust the LC foods on the market.

Does anyone need nutritional yeast? I ordered some online and it was so much cheaper to get the larger can, wellllll, I didn't realize how LARGE the larger can was . Send me any and all ideas to use nutritional yeast Or, if you need some, I will send you a ziploc baggie!

Just made my first batch of toffee for the season, this is my P-nutty kind, my dinner club gals have not tasted it before, so going to take it to the painting party tonight and see if I can tempt some of them into ordering some for the holidays
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I haven't eaten but one bar since starting back on LC. So, not sure about the net carbs in those, but, I seem to do ok with pumpkin, avocados, nuts, etc., although, for the day, my total carbs are still less than 30 even when I eat those foods. I don't trust the LC foods on the market.

Does anyone need nutritional yeast? I ordered some online and it was so much cheaper to get the larger can, wellllll, I didn't realize how LARGE the larger can was . Send me any and all ideas to use nutritional yeast Or, if you need some, I will send you a ziploc baggie!

Just made my first batch of toffee for the season, this is my P-nutty kind, my dinner club gals have not tasted it before, so going to take it to the painting party tonight and see if I can tempt some of them into ordering some for the holidays
I sure don't need any nutritional yeast (I think) even though that bread is so good..... I was able to get a smaller amount in bulk at Whole Foods - then found I could get it in a tin elsewhere. Oh well. I think it'll take awhile to use this up!

I will tell you toffee is my favorite favorite sweet/candy. It's perfect. Sweet, salty, perfect. I beg you: please don't send any to me!!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #390
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank heavens I have been making it for years, I can stay out of it now, but I could not leave it alone for years, would eat and eat and eat on it. After years of people begging me to make it for them, I finally gave in last year and started selling it. Mostly just to friends, etc. If I were younger, I would work harder to actually make a business of it, but I am too old and lazy for that anymore.