Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
You can tell we think about food, a LOT
I must say when I made my little cake (ended up being lunch) I used 1/4 c DaVinci sweeteners (I have a bottle of 'toasted marshmallow' and didn't know where else I might use it) and a generous 1/4 cup hwc and found the cake much cake-ier. Very good and not dry. It was moist.

End of report
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #332
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Judy is DaVinci made with Splenda?
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #333
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
So it looks like the extra moistness was from just using a little more liquid, glad we figured that one out!
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbrihil View Post
Judy is DaVinci made with Splenda?
Yes, I believe it is liquid sucralose. I like it very much in lots of things. I don't taste the normal Splenda aftertaste in DaVinci.

Quote:
So it looks like the extra moistness was from just using a little more liquid, glad we figured that one out!
Gosh, this chemistry!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #335
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Hi Girls!
WTG Buffy!!

Busy, busy day. Haven't had time to post but am now caught up at least.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #336
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

Good day at the outlet mall - I bought more clothes!
Just tops, since I'm feeling like a beached whale.

How do i figure how much protein i'm supposed to eat again?

Buffy - so exciting that you can eat more and still lose!
AND now I'm hungry!
Come to my house and cook, please!!

Or at least put these recipes all in one place so I can find them again.
Can we start a recipe thread under our EFGT section?
With all the "revised" ingredients . . . I want my cake to be moist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I'm happy throwing out anything of my dh's, but everything I have ever owned is sacrosanct. Ridiculous.
Well, duh! Of course it is!
Mine is too!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Yeah Mary Kay! New clothes!
We had a blast shopping to fill Samaritan Purse Christmas Child boxes with the grandkids. They also got a little horse-ride around the front yard. Bareback & in the snow. Our neighbor stopped by to let the pups meet each other (she & her friends were riding horses through our fields). All in all, it was a two thumbs up day for the kiddo's.
Its sure nice to have an extra day off on the week-end. Dh even took it off.
I'm still trying to figure out what foods to add to my diet. Need to slowly add some carbs, but not sure what or how much. Anybody know a place to see a transition from low carb to maintenance?
Sure a chatty group last couple days! Fun!
So happy for you Buffy! Who'd of known you'd have trouble eating enough to lose weight!? Just goes against what we've told ourselves our whole adult life, hey?!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #338

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

I need to make that little cake..Will search my freezer for the oat fiber..I know it is there somewhere..LOL.

Yes, I do think we need our own recipe thread here..It is easier to find things in a hurry..

Mary Kay..There is a formula.. Basically it is .6 grams per pound of body weight. More if you are more muscular.

Debby: We did OCC, too..I love that outreach. Dr. A. wrote a book Atkins for Life. I think he said that the type of carbs was very important, so starting with starchy veggies is always a good idea. It is a balance, of course. Everyone has a Critical Carb Level
where they should maintain. I know he said if you are an athlete, the top might be 100, so maybe 50 or 60 for a normal person..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW - idyllic pictures of your life emerging Debby! (neighbors riding through the fields, stopping to let their dog meet your puppy, grandchildren riding bareback, helping a worthy ministry, need a direction to increase carbs). I think I could set that to music!

Carolyn my oat fiber was ordered the middle of last year. I was looking over every recipe in lowcarb land and decided I sure needed that stuff. Until Buffy posted the little cake recipe I didn't have a use for it. It's in a silver (mylar) bag. I had mine in my dd's closet with lots of other lc and some wheat things in mylar bags (wheat protein isolate, vital wheat gluten - both unopened). In my imagination it's used for structure, since I think it's calorie free - lots of fiber so watch out!

So dear little Mary Kay does this mean you weigh 2 pounds more than you did a few weeks ago? I'm pretty sure that we'll run out find and post any recipe your heart desires, together with tweaks.

Happy day to all!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #340
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Debby: We did OCC, too..I love that outreach. Dr. A. wrote a book Atkins for Life. I think he said that the type of carbs was very important, so starting with starchy veggies is always a good idea. It is a balance, of course. Everyone has a Critical Carb Level
where they should maintain. I know he said if you are an athlete, the top might be 100, so maybe 50 or 60 for a normal person..
Cool Carolyn Its only the 2nd time we've participated. Love doing it with the kiddo's.
Wonder if that Atkins for life maintenance is somewhere online. I ate more then 100 of carbs yesterday, so maybe I don't need to worry about anymore. hm.

Quote:
WOW - idyllic pictures of your life emerging Debby! (neighbors riding through the fields, stopping to let their dog meet your puppy, grandchildren riding bareback, helping a worthy ministry, need a direction to increase carbs). I think I could set that to music!
Happy day to all!
LOL Judy,
Yeah, yesterday was one that really went a different direction! It was so great seeing "Mommy" all rejuvenated after having a 31 hr break from the 4 children! Daddy is a heli-pilot & away for weeks at a time, and she gets so worn out. (Which I can really see why, they're so busy! And having 3-4 different conversations going at all times, who wouldn't)?! So happy that I have the energy now to do this!
I've gotta go see the Dr today, to get my prescription filled. It's a week early, supposed to get blood tested next week... so I'm going to go without doing the test, since I'm out of thyroid meds today. Will see if that's gonna make any problems with him... I've increased my dose so have to see what he says about that. Should be fine.
Have a great day gals!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #341
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
My scale was very sweet to me this morning with another .2 loss, instead of the 2 lb bounce back up that I was expecting. I was surprised but know the bounce is coming, they always do after a new low.

MK, love to go outlet mall shopping, or sale shopping. Just can't stand to give full price for ANYTHING!!! I don't need a thing right now but hoping that soon, my clothes will just be falling off of me as I walk along and I will need to shop. I don't have hardly anything that is smaller than what I am now, it has been so long that I have gotten rid of most any clothes that were smaller. They would be so out of style anyways.

I get most of my recipes off the recipe thread it seems, although I do have some of the LC cookbooks. When I see one that looks good, I print it off to try and have a huge stack of them now, un organized of course. Not the recipe room, I seem to have trouble navigating in there. And if I see something that seems really good on the recipe thread, I subscribe to the thread b/c people tweak and tweak.

Debby, Judy is right, as you posted your day yesterday, I was thinking of you and where you live in my mind, probably totally off base but in my mind, I love where you live!!! As you add carbs, I would base it on veggies to begin with, maybe just a few more berries, if those work into your WOE. Maybe a low carb bread that you purchase or buy, but I am thinking you don't eat wheat. So hard to remember exactly how each of us eats.

I have to get busy with toffee making. I have several orders for Thanksgiving that I need to start filling by the end of this week and next week, I am doing little wedding favor bags for a friend's daughter's wedding that is the Sat. night after Thanksgiving. The bags will hold several small pieces of toffee. Will take longer to fill and seal the bags than to make the toffee probably. No taste testing for me this year, DH will have to be my tester. Once I start on it, I simply can't stop. Then, right after TG I need to make my rounds and post it on FB so that I can take orders for Christmas.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #342
Big Yapper!!!!

Yikes, Debby, don't run out of thyroid meds, it is very important to take them regularly.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #343
Big Yapper!!!!

Time is a flying! Who all is hosting Thanksgiving and or cooking most of the meal? One of my DD's is having it at her house but I am going to be helping with the cooking and trying to narrow it down to 2 LC desserts to take. I would like them to be good enough that will be all we need, plus maybe 1 high carb pie which I will probably just buy.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm making most of the food for ours (dh will smoke the turkey). Like you, it will be at our dd's house, though.

For some reason we really like a lot of the old-fashioned Jell-O salads, so I'll make one of those - haven't decided which. It's so easy with sugar-free Jell-O. The fruit is such a little bit in a serving.

I'm perusing a bunch of different dressings.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Morning!
My scale was very sweet to me this morning with another .2 loss, instead of the 2 lb bounce back up that I was expecting. I was surprised but know the bounce is coming, they always do after a new low.

MK, love to go outlet mall shopping, or sale shopping. Just can't stand to give full price for ANYTHING!!! I don't need a thing right now but hoping that soon, my clothes will just be falling off of me as I walk along and I will need to shop. I don't have hardly anything that is smaller than what I am now, it has been so long that I have gotten rid of most any clothes that were smaller. They would be so out of style anyways.

Debby, Judy is right, as you posted your day yesterday, I was thinking of you and where you live in my mind, probably totally off base but in my mind, I love where you live!!! As you add carbs, I would base it on veggies to begin with, maybe just a few more berries, if those work into your WOE. Maybe a low carb bread that you purchase or buy, but I am thinking you don't eat wheat. So hard to remember exactly how each of us eats.
Yikes, Debby, don't run out of thyroid meds, it is very important to take them regularly.
Good going on the .2 down! Yippee! on shopping for smaller clothes! Its so fun! But if you're in a country that has seasons, its surprising how many items that's going to involve! (even my shoes are too big)!
Yes, I'm sure you WOULD love where I live... ever feel like traveling, we have lots of room!
Yeah, I won't be without meds... just kind of bracing myself for my visit to Dr... I'm really not following his guidance, but - stop the thyroid madness & my naturopath. So far its gone fine, its been so long now & I've more then doubled my dose. There's no way I was going to let my hair fall out for 2 months before upping my meds.
Yeah, I've added more prunes, not used to eating any other fruit... only carbs I do eat are raw oatmeal, oat bran, corn tortilla, prunes, green vegge's, coconut milk. I think I'll buy some apples & try them. Its just funny after over a year to consider other foods.

Last edited by DebbyL; 11-13-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #346
Big Yapper!!!!

Debby, it will be a constant experiment while you learn to maintain but you can do it, we have faith in you!

Ok, have a pumpkin pie and the almond fudge cake in the oven. Made a half recipe of each. The pie is a new recipe I hadn't tried, so anxious to see how it turns out. Thought I had better be armed and ready with some sweets I can eat when I start making my toffee.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #347

We are a chatty bunch lately aren't we? I feel like I haven't contributed too much the last couple of days. The day is just getting away from me before I have a chance.
My DD is having T-giving but I go Wed. and help her and then go over Thurs early to help some more. We're eating very early this year as my grandson and his family have to go to the other side for a late dinner. Some friends from Iowa are coming down to join us this year and if the weather is good we'll probably all go to the Plaza lighting and maybe the Mayor's Tree lighting the following night.
I still want to try a SF pecan pie before T-giving but I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the Choc Pnut Butter one for sure!
I have dinner theater tonight. Marion Ross is starring in this one. I always like her performances.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #348

Hi ladies..

Debby: Good luck with your CCL experimentation..I'm sure Atkins for Life is on Amazon and you might be able to get a good used one for cheap.

Buffy: Yipppeeee for you..Today I increased my Met 500 to a.m. and p.m. plus testing my glucose levels..Now, how are yours doing??? They must be great cuz you are losing.
Toffee Time already??? Yummm..

I do need to clean out that freezer..to look for that oat fiber..
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
We are a chatty bunch lately aren't we? I feel like I haven't contributed too much the last couple of days. The day is just getting away from me before I have a chance.
My DD is having T-giving but I go Wed. and help her and then go over Thurs early to help some more. We're eating very early this year as my grandson and his family have to go to the other side for a late dinner. Some friends from Iowa are coming down to join us this year and if the weather is good we'll probably all go to the Plaza lighting and maybe the Mayor's Tree lighting the following night.
I still want to try a SF pecan pie before T-giving but I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the Choc Pnut Butter one for sure!
I have dinner theater tonight. Marion Ross is starring in this one. I always like her performances.
How fun..I think we will avoid the Plaza on Tday cuz we will be on our way home..I loved it when Shawn's office overlooked the Plaza..Have fun at the dinner theater tonight..I love Marion..What play is it?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #350

Do you all think oat flour would be the same as oat fiber?

The play is The Game is Afoot. A comedic mystery. It ought to be cute. Is Beth coming home for TG?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #351
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post

Mary Kay..There is a formula.. Basically it is .6 grams per pound of body weight. More if you are more muscular.
So maybe 72g . . . .

Quote:

So dear little Mary Kay does this mean you weigh 2 pounds more than you did a few weeks ago? I'm pretty sure that we'll run out find and post any recipe your heart desires, together with tweaks.
Yep - 2 lbs more than the beginning of the month, so 4 lbs over where I want to be . . . .

Sandy - The play sounds like something I would like!!

Buffy - Sounds so yummy!!

Debby - I want to live with you too!

Carolyn - if the weather's nice, we'll be at the Plaza on TG evening!

No cooking for me on TG. We'll be at my SIL's and all I bring is the wine.
I'll just try to eat well while I'm there!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #352
Big Yapper!!!!

Sandy, I don't think the flour and fiber would be the same but I am no expert.

Carolyn, since doing NK, and lowering my dosage of victoza, I think I have only had one BG reading above 100. It is running at least 15 points lower than it did before and I was on a higher dose of victoza then. I am waiting to see if you think the metformin helps you lose weight? It really helped me and I am wondering if it helped me so much because, before I started it and knew I had diabetes, my blood sugars were probably really high most of the time. I was hot all the time and did not feel good at all. Once I got on the met, the BS's dropped, I felt a lot better, wasn't hot all the time and I started losing weight easily. The question is: If a person is having normal BG readings, will the met actually help? So, you are our guinea piggy here

I made half the pumpkin pie recipe. The whole recipe called for 3 eggs, I used 2, tried to pick out smaller ones, but warm, it tasted just a little eggy, more like a custard, which isn't bad but not as pie like as I wanted. But, we all know that a lot of these things taste better cold, so I will "force" myself to try another small piece tonight with whipped cream.

Didn't get to the toffee, just too many other things. The orders are not due to start in until Friday or Sat. so hopefully, I can get some made tomorrow and more on Thurs. I can't package and deliver it until it has set for about 24 hours in a cool room. Also need to see what I have for packaging, these orders are all for friends so don't need fancy tins but I might need to buy some gladware or ziploc containers. I like to deliver it in those as I know they are containers they can use later.

Ok, off to make up the bed, washed the sheets and they are laying on the bed in a heap.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #353
Big Yapper!!!!

MK, do you know about how many grams of protein/fat/carbs you are eating now? There is a method where you figure it all out for NK but I was lazy and just let Reddarin figure mine. He quit smoking in the last month so hasn't been online as much, said it was such a trigger for him as he used to smoke while being on the computer. But, if you would like him to figure them for you, I will show you the link where he hangs out.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MK I think 72 grams would be a good start. You should definitely add fat.
A lot of people said they had trouble adjusting to that little protein, but if you add the fat, you'll be surprised how easy it can be. I was doing 54 g of protein, but I've increased a little the last few days. I'm going to 'maintain' for about 6 weeks, I think.
I like the way I'm eating, but I don't want to obsessively track for awhile.

Oat bran is not the same as oat fiber, sadly. Oat fiber is nearly calorie-free. I think it's nearly all fiber.

Interested in your metformin experiment, Carolyn!

Debby make room - I think we're all coming!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #355
Big Yapper!!!!

My baking today was a success. I added some cream to the almond fudge cake, made it almost more brownie like. The crustless pumpkin pie chilled was good, not fab but good. Needs something to give it just a little more flavor oomph! Thinking!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #356
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if any of you are interested in this, but WOWEE this was good tonight.

I made one of Jen Eloff's "Jiffy Buns" which uses her bake mix. We poured the soup over half of a bun. THIS IS VERY GOOD. I still had trouble finding coconut cream, so I opened a can of coconut milk and just scooped out the cream part - added-up to 1/2 cup. I added 1/2 cup chicken broth.
DELICIOUS.

Thai Chicken Soup (buttoni)
INGREDIENTS:
12 oz. cooked chicken, shredded or cut up
4 oz. onion, chopped
½ c. red bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. ginger root, peeled and minced
3 c. green cabbage, chopped
4 c. chicken broth (preferably homemade)
1 c. coconut cream
2 T. Thai red curry paste
1 T. toasted sesame seeds
1 T. black sesame seeds (or use all white seeds if unavailable)
1 tsp. sesame oil (added right before serving)

DIRECTIONS: Mix all ingredients but the sesame oil and coconut cream in a large soup pot. Stir well, bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce to a simmer and simmer for about 20 minutes to allow carrot and cabbage to get nice and tender. Once carrot is tender, add coconut cream. Simmer 2-3 more minutes. Add sesame oil, stir and serve with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds on top and a sprig of red bell pepper as well, if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 5 large bowls, each containing:
315 calories
20.3 g fat
11.5 g carbs, 3.44 g fiber, 8.06 g NET CARBS
27.4 g protein
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My baking today was a success. I added some cream to the almond fudge cake, made it almost more brownie like. The crustless pumpkin pie chilled was good, not fab but good. Needs something to give it just a little more flavor oomph! Thinking!
I wonder how it'll taste tomorrow? Let us know.

Apparently I'm kind of alone in this - I like my pumpkin pie VERY spicy. I don't double the spices, but I am very generous with the servings.

Also - the almond fudge cake - this is the Chicken Lady's recipe?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #358
Big Yapper!!!!

yes, thats the one
Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's a pic from yesterday

& one last week from my front window... we have more snow now.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #360
Big Yapper!!!!

OMG Debby, beautiful