Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Cold this morning. I think it got to 22 degrees last night so a hard freeze. Got to use my auto-start on my car and test run the seat heaters. Man they heat up quick and high! Almost fried my buns!!
We visited family in St. Louis in July one time and my dh accidentally activated his seat heaters. We ALL knew about it very quickly!!

Buffy that story about raising calories and protein is very interesting. But you are tall. I think I'm going to experiment a little...
I just have been so comfortable eating so little protein, I hate tweaking more, at least for the next 6 weeks...

I think I just won't stress if I'm strictly eating low carb and if I have more protein.

Thanks for the update and SO many CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Maybe, as others have mentioned, it's just good to change things up a bit.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #302
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Judy, what is your height? I kept thinking of you all week as I was experimenting with the higher calories that Red figured for me, knowing he had done your numbers too. What was most interesting was that my usual daily bounce of up to 3 lbs was only within a 1 lb range all week, except for the day I overdid the fudge. And, I know that part of the nice new low this morning was the fact that yesterday, my calories were really low and I didn't eat from say 1:00 pm on. But, I wasn't trying not to eat, just wasn't hungry and knowing that I was going for a new low this morning, decided to just have one really low calorie day, which I don't think hurts but wouldn't have suffered through either. You might give it a try??
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #303
Big Yapper!!!!

Adding, we will see what this week brings! Will continue the experiment.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Judy, what is your height? I kept thinking of you all week as I was experimenting with the higher calories that Red figured for me, knowing he had done your numbers too. What was most interesting was that my usual daily bounce of up to 3 lbs was only within a 1 lb range all week, except for the day I overdid the fudge. And, I know that part of the nice new low this morning was the fact that yesterday, my calories were really low and I didn't eat from say 1:00 pm on. But, I wasn't trying not to eat, just wasn't hungry and knowing that I was going for a new low this morning, decided to just have one really low calorie day, which I don't think hurts but wouldn't have suffered through either. You might give it a try??
I am 5'4". OK, 5'3-3/4". Let me have that 1/4". I feel so tall....

I can tell you - I think I'll try it here and there. And like you, if I just have a no-hunger day, I'm not going to worry about it.

I think I'm going to have a lot of days where I'm trying different recipes getting ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so that will give me room for higher calories here and there.

I'll tell you what - that little cake is A-W-E-S-O-M-E and I only frosted it with a mixture of cream cheese, butter, and DaVinci. I love chocolate, but I'm so happy with this spice cake version.... And honestly it's only about 102 calories without frosting. Sheesh it's good. It's cake!
So I'll make room for that, too.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #305
Big Yapper!!!!

Do you think we could tweak that little cake in any way to get rid of some of the dryness? I solved that by using butter on it, but would like to make it without it being so dry, otherwise, it is like a cinnamon roll but biscuit like in texture. I made a butter cream icing out of powdered swerve, butter, HWC and vanilla.

Oh, and I ordered the Swerve special on the powdered sugar. I am loving it as much as the other swerve. Wonder if they will come out with brown sugar next?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #306
Big Yapper!!!!

DD's have requested a cheesecake, so will be going through my file for the one I will try, I priinted out one recently that was a fave.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
DD's have requested a cheesecake, so will be going through my file for the one I will try, I priinted out one recently that was a fave.
It sure would be nice to see.... *ahem*.... otherwise you're just toying with us.

On the little cake, I subbed out 1 Tbsp coconut flour for 1 Tbsp almond flour and my cakes were not REAL dry. I was happy they were frosted, though.

Which begs the question, would 2 Tbsp almond flour (thereby completely eliminating the coconut flour) make it more moist? Probably.

If you post your favorite cheesecake recipe, I'll try out the little cake with 2T almond flour instead of any coconut flour.

Oh let's face it. I'm going to try out the little cake no matter whether you post or not!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Swerve is the one I use all the time now too. Love it! I made my cranberry sauce with it and had no problem with it. In fact I put the cranberries in along with the swerve and water and turned the heat on. It all came out just fine in about 10 minutes. Added a capful of orange extract at the last.

Judy I'm a shorty at 5'3". Wonder what my numbers would be at 150#?

Buffy your experiment sounds intriguing.

My turkey turned out great and even made the cauliflower mashed potatoes with my stick blender to go with it. We ate like king and queen for 2 days. We'll be having turkey sandwiches today with revolution type rolls. Oh yes, I don't think I'll be using the guar gum anymore for gravy making. I'll be using the coconut flour from now on. Didn't like the way it changed the gravy taste.

Well time to stop playing on here and get busy. Have a great day ladies.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #309
Big Yapper!!!!

Beat you to it Judy, I made the little cinnamon cake with almond flour, came out almost if not exactly the same.

Ok gang, I just talked to the wonderful people at swerve. Love a small company, they even remembered me from my orders and talking to me before. They are going to send me something she said I could copy and paste on the board here but, tada!!

Swerve at any amount still counts as 0 calories b/c it does not have the fillers that other sweeteners do!! And, also, 0 carb is utilized by your body, so, your body treats it as 0 carb. I do believe her b/c it has no impact on my BS at all.

She said they are expanding into more and more of the Whole Food stores, have lots of big plans and working with big bakery ideas, on and on. They seem like great people so I am happy things are working so well for them. And us!!! I asked her about brown sugar, she said they have had lots of request for that but at this time, nothing in their plans but suggested the trick of adding a little molasses.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #310
Big Yapper!!!!

Swerve = Have you cake and eat it too!!!

Sharon, yes, I am going to make cranberries with it too.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's wonderful news.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Beat you to it Judy, I made the little cinnamon cake with almond flour, came out almost if not exactly the same.
What will I bargain with??
What if we threw in a tbsp or so of hwc? Or butter?
Ouizoid is a low fat low calorie person. Thoughts?

LOVE that you called Swerve and they were forthcoming.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbrihil View Post
Swerve is the one I use all the time now too. Love it! I made my cranberry sauce with it and had no problem with it. In fact I put the cranberries in along with the swerve and water and turned the heat on. It all came out just fine in about 10 minutes. Added a capful of orange extract at the last.

Judy I'm a shorty at 5'3". Wonder what my numbers would be at 150#?

Buffy your experiment sounds intriguing.

My turkey turned out great and even made the cauliflower mashed potatoes with my stick blender to go with it. We ate like king and queen for 2 days. We'll be having turkey sandwiches today with revolution type rolls. Oh yes, I don't think I'll be using the guar gum anymore for gravy making. I'll be using the coconut flour from now on. Didn't like the way it changed the gravy taste.

Well time to stop playing on here and get busy. Have a great day ladies.
My first goal is 146 (I think - I've revised it so many times! ). I think this high figure will actually put me in the very top of "normal" weight category and not overweight.

I weighed 138 for about 10 minutes one time after losing 100 pounds using diet pills. I kept most of the weight off eating low fat (ugh) or kind of Weight Watchers. But I really could not lose in the last 3 years even restricting calories.

Obviously I'm menopausal and have just recently been able to find I needed a little thyroid support.

I weigh 155 - 154.5 right now and I am NOT unhappy with how I look right now. I'm never going to be skinny.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi Sharon,
The Height & Weight Charts say:
5'3"
  • Small frame - 111-124;
  • Medium frame - 121-135;
  • Large frame - 131-147
Following is the method an Insurance Co. uses to calculate frame size:
  1. Extend your arm in front of your body bending your elbow at a ninety degree angle to your body so that your forearm is parallel to your body.
  2. Keep your fingers straight and turn the inside of your wrist towards your body.
  3. Place your thumb and index finger on the two prominent bones on either side of your elbow, then measure the distance between the bones with a tape measure or calipers.
  4. Compare to the chart below. The chart lists elbow measurements for a medium frame - if your elbow measurement for that particular height is less than the number of inches listed, you are a small frame - if your elbow measurement for that particular height is more than the number of inches listed, your are a large frame.
  • 5'0" - 5'3"- 2-1/4" to 2-1/2"
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

3-1/2" between the large bones of my elbow.
I know I measured that earlier this year when I started eating this way, but I do think I'm a larger frame person.

However I'm 5'3-3/4" which is an entire 3/4" taller than Sharon

And I'm probably going to pick a number I can live with. I'm 54. I was under 30 when I lost all that weight.

And I know we were talking about Sharon and not me, but see how I did that?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
3-1/2" between the large bones of my elbow.
I know I measured that earlier this year when I started eating this way, but I do think I'm a larger frame person.

However I'm 5'3-3/4" which is an entire 3/4" taller than Sharon

And I'm probably going to pick a number I can live with. I'm 54. I was under 30 when I lost all that weight.

And I know we were talking about Sharon and not me, but see how I did that?
Judy you're funny! I would of thought you were TALL, just picturing you from your photo...
Yeah, I checked mine & I'm right on the edge of small/medium, although I always thought I was medium(wrist measures 6 inches). Its pretty accurate for me though. I was thinner at 127 when I was younger. I think I actually should weigh less now to be that size, or build some muscle. I am that size, but need some "smoothing-out" ... and that is my comfort-spot.
It really is a "comfort level" - each person has their own. And, apparently if you have a bit of body fat you won't suffer so bad during menopause... although too much would make it worse. Just thinking of the hot flashes.
I have found that its much easier to "maintain" a weight loss if I get to my goal weight then if I stop short of it. Don't know why.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #317
Big Yapper!!!!

Hmmph! I had oodles of BF when I went through menopause and the hot flashes almost made me move to Alaska!!! Why is it so darn miserable for so many women, just be done with it and quit torturing women.

Ok, I just made the Little Cake again. This time I made it per the original recipe but added 1/2 t Xanthan to it. Instead of a scant 1/2 cup of liquid, I used a brimming 1/4 cup cinnamon Davinci and brimming 1/4 cup HWC. Totally different texture. Not biscuit like at all, more like a cake texture. Think maybe 1/4 t of Xanthan will be my next experiment. I kind of liked a little bit of the biscuit texture, it was just tooo dry. Ate the whole thing after a bowl of cream of chicken soup and now am sooo totally stuffed. Off to log it and see where I am for the day. Might venture into chocolate when I get my dark hersheys cocoa. I could not find it locally, with having several grocery stores within about 3 miles of my house, so ended up ordering it, 6 cans to an offer. I will die with dark Hersheys stashed in my pantry!! And swerve, and coconut flour, and almond flour and all those other mystery items I now have that I rack my brain trying to figure out what they are for and what they do. Should say freezer/pantry, I keep a lot of this stuff in my freezer.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cream of chicken soup?
Why do you taunt me so?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You'll be able to share some of that Hershey's with your dds. There's not much better than being able to whip up your own personal on-plan dessert, be it cake or cheesecake...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #320
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
You'll be able to share some of that Hershey's with your dds. There's not much better than being able to whip up your own personal on-plan dessert, be it cake or cheesecake...
One of my son-in-laws has an over the top OCD problem and insomnia. He roams the house during the night, organizing everything and cleaning and straightening things. I was staying there one night and left my watch and wedding ring laying on the counter, in the morning, it was sitting there in a beautiful crystal bowl . Anyway, the other day he said to my dd. "You know, your mom is having you buy all these things for your "new" diet you guys are on and the pantry is getting a little messy. Don't you think you should throw out all the things from your last diet?"

Poor guy, I think we drive him insane but he is cool about it.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #321
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, the cream of chicken soup is something I came up with the other night and it is good.

About once a week or so, I put on a big soup pot of chicken pieces, add liberal amounts of salt and pepper and about 1/2 butter. Simmer all day. Strain out the chicken and save the broth, freeze some of it. Pick off the chicken and put in 4 oz ziploc bags for the freezer.
The soup.
Heat 2 cups of broth, add 4 oz of pieces of chicken, some salt and pepper if needed and heat to boiling. Melt 2 T of butter, whisk in 1 t of Xanthan gum, this gives just a tiny thickening, I will probably experiment with just a little more. Add to boiling mix, add 1 cup HWC and just heat through, don't boil the cream. Very good. This made about 3 1 1/4 cup servings.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #322
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Wowza ladies..

Buffy....We are so proud of you...I will be watching how you do this week with the extra calories..

Now, I know what I saved the broth from my turkey..I'm going to make cream of turkey soup tonight..Thanks...I might saute some celery/onion in the butter..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Ok, the cream of chicken soup is something I came up with the other night and it is good.

About once a week or so, I put on a big soup pot of chicken pieces, add liberal amounts of salt and pepper and about 1/2 butter. Simmer all day. Strain out the chicken and save the broth, freeze some of it. Pick off the chicken and put in 4 oz ziploc bags for the freezer.
The soup.
Heat 2 cups of broth, add 4 oz of pieces of chicken, some salt and pepper if needed and heat to boiling. Melt 2 T of butter, whisk in 1 t of Xanthan gum, this gives just a tiny thickening, I will probably experiment with just a little more. Add to boiling mix, add 1 cup HWC and just heat through, don't boil the cream. Very good. This made about 3 1 1/4 cup servings.
I AM SO HAPPY!!! Thank you!!

Need to borrow your dsil for organizing and throwing out.
I'm happy throwing out anything of my dh's, but everything I have ever owned is sacrosanct. Ridiculous.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Wowza ladies..

Buffy....We are so proud of you...I will be watching how you do this week with the extra calories..

Now, I know what I saved the broth from my turkey..I'm going to make cream of turkey soup tonight..Thanks...I might saute some celery/onion in the butter..
HAPPIER! Thank you!

Any snow blower news?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #325
Big Yapper!!!!

Good idea Carolyn on the addition of the celery and onion.

Thanks for the kudos gals, I sure appreciate it.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm medium frame. My measure was 2 1/2". I know for me though I'm happy weighting 150# at 67 years old. Now if I can only get there...

Gosh Buffy your soup sounds so good. Is the cake you're all making the chocolate one from chicken lady? Not sure now..Is that one made in the microwave?

I have to run to catch up with you two. LOLOLOL!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #327
Big Yapper!!!!

No Sharon, the little cake we have been talking about is one Judy posted the recipe for, about 2-4 pages back I think. Let me know if you don't find it. Quick, easy and filling although if you want to make a real regular size cake the Almond Flour Fudge cake is delish.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #328
Big Yapper!!!!

You can tell we think about food, a LOT
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbrihil View Post
I'm medium frame. My measure was 2 1/2". I know for me though I'm happy weighting 150# at 67 years old. Now if I can only get there...

Gosh Buffy your soup sounds so good. Is the cake you're all making the chocolate one from chicken lady? Not sure now..Is that one made in the microwave?

I have to run to catch up with you two. LOLOLOL!
This is called Basic Flour Mixture (author: ouizoid)

Earlier in this thread Buffy was talking about the Basic Flour Mixture from Ouizoid. I ran the numbers only as to those shown:
2 Tbs Oatfiber 0 cals
1 Tbs coconut flour 30 cals; 1g fat; 1.5g carb; 1g pro
1 Tbs almond flour 40 cals; 1.5g fat; .75 carb; 1.5g pro
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder 18 cals; 0 fat; 0.3 net carb; 3.7g pro
1 Tbs egg white powder 13.3 cals; 0 fat; 0 carb; 4g protein
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional) (used two packets Truvia)
spices (optional--but is great with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon)

To this I add a mixture of DaVinci SF syrup and water or almond milk. My mixture is about 1/2 cup to start, but because of the coconut flour, more liquid may be necessary. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- - -

Obviously this is for the protein powder I have where 1 heaping scoop = about 6.5 tablespoons and 120 calories. I also subbed 1 T coconut flour for 1 T almond flour.

- - -
TOTALS WITHOUT FROSTING 102 calories; 2.5g fat; 2.55 net carbs; 10.2g protein
Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got it, thanks girls. I'm waiting on the oat fiber that's why I had memory loss. I'll be trying this one soon.