Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetHeleMae View Post
Thanks for the reply, Buffy, and the words of wisdom. I lost original weight fast, so was expecting more of the same! Darn. I'll try to be more patient.
Yes, that original quick weight loss is both a blessing and a curse!!!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #272
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Morning Chatty Ladies!!

I have to get out for a quick walk before a luncheon with my mom and a movie with a friend - then our 70 degrees will turn to 40!

BBL!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #273
Big Yapper!!!!

Which movie MK?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I normally eat 2 meals a day, might have a small snack in between. I really don't get hungry until about noon, love just my coffee/co in the AM, 2 big mugs.

Had a birthday party to go to last night. Knew there was going to be a tossed salad and pecan crusted chicken so knew I could eat that. No flour on the chicken. Well, about 5 pm I got hungry so just went ahead and ate at home. Got to the party, drank 3 small bottles of water, and hostess just insisted I try the chicken. I got it, took 2 little bites and just could not eat any more, it really didn't taste that good and I was so full. No problem resisting all the other food and a delish (from what I heard) birthday cake. Just love how this makes my control over food so complete.

One blooper yesterday. I had made some fudge. Made the first batch for the almond fudge cake and so would have just 1 piece of cake with a little of the fudge frosting per day and that didn't seem to bother. Well, got brave and made a small batch of the fudge, it made 13 oz, to which I added some nuts. I have been having one or two little tiny pieces of it per day. Yesterday, I kept going back and ended up having about 7 pieces of it! Good experiment I guess. No tummy issues from all that swerve. But, my weight was up about 1 lb this AM, can't be sure it was that but suspicious. My BK was lower than usual and BG a little higher than usual. So, not a good thing to keep around the house, should only make that for icing and not candy to be eaten like I ate it yesterday. I emailed the folks at Swerve to try to get a calorie count on say a cup measurement, but alas, no answer to that. They have always been prompt in answering questions in the past, so think I will try to give them a call this week. I was at the top of my calories without the candy yesterday so would like to know how many were in that. I can remember being so shocked when I found out the calorie content in granular splenda, since all the lables are for 1 teaspoon, tricksters!!!

The birthday party was for one of the gals in my dinner club. There are 9 of us and she was the 7th to turn 50, we always have a bigger party for the big 5 0. We have 2 more and then will all be over 50, hope the baby of the group gets to 50 before I hit 70, LOL. One of our gals has MS and I hadn't seen her for a while, although I knew she had suffered a recent attack. She did get to come for a short while last night and it is soo hard to see her like this, after a recent attack. She was walking unsteadily, with a cane, was in a lot of pain, but as always, put on a very very brave front. She is an amazing woman, really wish they could find the new drug that they are searching for that will help her. The latest one on the horizon is going to cost $5,000 per pill with a dose of 2 per day!!! This past year, her co-pay alone was $37,000 on her current meds. It has put such a terrible strain on their marriage but the good thing is that she has raised 2 amazing kids who have excelled and both gotten full rides to college for sports, thank heavens for that.

Wow, I am Miss Chatty Cathy today, hmmmm
Dearest Chatty,

We love your chatting!

I got engrossed in those threads by ouizoid. I've GOT to figure out the nutritionals for that cake. I used cream cheese, butter & DaVinci vanilla for icing. My mother and sister and I ate one cake and LOVED it. It really is a good texture for cake. As you said, a little dry, so I heaped the frosting on top!

I'll make that fudge today and hope for a better result than you. NOT LIKELY but I've got to try it.

I also have a friend with MS - she can no longer walk. It's a devastating disease. It's startling to hear those drug prices. It's part of the reason people are willing to go out on a limb and develop new drugs - obviously for profit. But who can afford it at those prices??

Thanks for checking with Swerve - I was blindly going with "no calories" HAHA!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Morning Chatty Ladies!!

I have to get out for a quick walk before a luncheon with my mom and a movie with a friend - then our 70 degrees will turn to 40!

BBL!
Well that sounds wonderful! Do disclose the movie then please review it afterward. We don't ask much.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #276
Big Yapper!!!!

Here is the fudge recipe. It is one I developed pre-Lc and made with sugar, I called it a quick Fix fudge.

I have a 1200 watt microwave, so this is how it works in mine.

I take a deep narrow mixing bowl, probably an 8 cup one. Put 1 cup swerve, 1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa (has to be Hersheys, and not the dark chocolate one, not sure why but this doesn't seem to work with other brands or the dark), add a scant 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream. Stir to mix. Place in microwave and nuke for 3 minutes and 40 seconds. Remove and add 2 T of butter and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Don't stir. Let set as long as you can stand it, which for me isn't that long, and start beating. Slowly at first as it will splatter. I usually just use a large spoon or you can use your hand mixer. When it starts to thicken, pour into buttered 6 inch glad storage container, or whatever container you wish. Add nuts if desired.

It tastes just as good as my old sugar version, but, has a little of the grittiness of the swerve, which the sugar one didn't have, and just a tiny bit of cooling, both of which I don't mind. When I used to make this with sugar, I only nuked it for 2 minutes 40 seconds instead of the 3 min 40 seconds. It really does make a good frosting for the cake. I only made half the cake so made half of this for the icing, but cooked it less time. Or, make the whole thing, use what you wish for the icing and snarf down the rest. Totally your choice

Last edited by Buffy45; 11-11-2012 at 08:18 AM..
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #277
Big Yapper!!!!

On the swerve, it really makes it hard to figure out the nutritional values without having a "real" count on the swerve. Frustrating. Seems to be a big high government special clearance type of thing or something. Do we have any high level spies in our group here who could get to the bottom of this?

And, after finding the swerve, I love it so much, it truly does cook like real sugar, I want to use it and know what I am doing. Maybe it cooks like sugar b/c we will find out it actually is sugar with a little spearmint thrown in
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #278
Princess Proofreader

Hi!
Mom's lunch didn't go as long as planned so I'm back!

From what I can find - Swerve has 0 calories and 5g of carbs in each tsp.
But I have a friend who works in the Spenda industry and I'll ask her what she knows about Swerve!

We're going to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I'll let you know if it's any good!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi!
Mom's lunch didn't go as long as planned so I'm back!

From what I can find - Swerve has 0 calories and 5g of carbs in each tsp.
But I have a friend who works in the Spenda industry and I'll ask her what she knows about Swerve!

We're going to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I'll let you know if it's any good!
Oh my stars - 5g carbs in each TEAspoon

Well that might make my portions a bit smaller...
Now I need to look up what is for erythritol. And I think Swerve has a great deal of erythritol.... Oh the chemistry!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #280
Princess Proofreader

I think Swerve is entirely erythritol!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #281
Princess Proofreader

568-0005
Swerve
Swerve, All-Natural Sugar Alternative
8 oz. canister
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 5g (1 teaspoon)
Servings Per Container: 45

Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value*

Total Calories 0

Total Fat 0 g 0%

Sodium 0 mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates 5 g 2%

Sugars 0 g

Protein 0 g 0%

Erythritol 5 g

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
NON GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan.
Ingredients: Erythritol, Oligosaccharides and natural flavors.
Recommended Use: Add to your favorite food or beverage. Measures just like sugar.
Certifications:
kosher
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I think Swerve is entirely erythritol!
I think you are right.

I went to livestrong and found this:

Artificial sweeteners have become popular with consumers, and polyols are among the newest types of sugar replacers. The type of polyol found in Swerve has been used in Japan since 1990. Swerve is promoted as an all-natural sweetener with a great taste and few side effects.
Identification

Polyols are also known as sugar alcohols, even though they don't contain alcohol. This class of sweeteners includes isomalt, lactitol, maltitol, mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol and erythritol. Erythritol is the polyol used in Swerve, a sugar alternative created by Catherine Wilbert, N.D., for PhytoCeutical Formulations. Erythritol is made by using microorganisms to break down fruits and vegetables, which yields white crystals after a fermentation process. Ordinarily, erythritol isn't as sweet as sugar, but Dr. Wilbert uses a proprietary formulation that creates a product equivalent to sugar, meaning you can use a cup of Swerve to replace a cup of sugar. Swerve has zero calories and 5 grams of carbohydrates in one teaspoon.
Ingredients

In addition to erythritol, Swerve contains oligofructose, resistant maltodextrin and silicon dioxide. Erythritol is absorbed into the bloodstream before it enters the large intestine and doesn't cause the laxative and bloating effects that other sugar alcohols can. Oligofructose is a type of carbohydrate known as a fructan that is usually extracted from Jerusalem artichokes. Resistant maltodextrin is a low viscosity, water-soluble, indigestible carbohydrate produced by treating corn starch with acid, enzymes and heat. Silicon dioxide is the most abundant mineral in the Earth's crust and is used in foods to prevent clumping or caking.
Benefits

Swerve is safe for diabetics because it doesn't have any effect on insulin or blood sugar levels. A study from December 2003, published in "Nutrition Research Reviews," found that of all the polyols, erithryitol had the lowest glycemic property, meaning it raised blood sugar levels the least. In that same month, research was published in the "Journal of Biosciences" demonstrating that oligofructose also had a low glycemic response and was able to reduce post-meal blood sugar levels. Resistant maltodextrin was reported to reduce constipation and the boost amounts of healthful bacteria in the large intestine in a study published in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition" in April 2008.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Mary Kay, all Buffy has to do is mention something about nutritional info of Swerve and we can't get it for her fast enough!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now I have a question - because those 5g of carbs are from sugar alcohol and there is no effect on blood sugar, AND they say it's zero calorie, may I keep closing my eyes and whistling and pretending as if Swerve has no calories and no other impact on my carbs?

Please?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #285
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I'm a big Truvia fan. It cooks well and I like the taste. Don't know about it's GI but would think it is nil.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #286
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi my dear friends..

Akkk..I had some taco chips at lunch..Just did 30 minutes of Wii Fit, so I might have worked off a couple of themmm.. When will I ever learn?

Speaking of ASweeteners..I ordered something from L C Foods from netrition. Wowza..his sweetener of choice (which is a proprietary blend) does not agree with me at all..When will I ever learn? Homemade stuff is soooo much better than the processed LC mixes..Although I do like the Dixie Diner stuff.

Kansas State won last night..They are 9-0.. It is a miracle..Collin Klein (QB) is up for the Heismann..He is the nicest kid ever..ever. I hope he wins it. He goes to the same church Brett went to in Manhattan..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I'm a big Truvia fan. It cooks well and I like the taste. Don't know about it's GI but would think it is nil.
Good. It does say zero calorie. I like it too.

Earlier in this thread Buffy was talking about the Basic Flour Mixture from Ouizoid. I ran the numbers only as to those shown:
2 Tbs Oatfiber 0 cals
1 Tbs coconut flour 30 cals; 1g fat; 1.5g carb; 1g pro
1 Tbs almond flour 40 cals; 1.5g fat; .75 carb; 1.5g pro
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder 18 cals; 0 fat; 0.3 net carb; 3.7g pro
1 Tbs egg white powder 13.3 cals; 0 fat; 0 carb; 4g protein
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional) (used two packets Truvia)
spices (optional--but is great with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon)

To this I add a mixture of DaVinci SF syrup and water or almond milk. My mixture is about 1/2 cup to start, but because of the coconut flour, more liquid may be necessary. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- - -

Obviously this is for the protein powder I have where 1 heaping scoop = about 6.5 tablespoons and 120 calories. I also subbed 1 T coconut flour for 1 T almond flour.

- - -
TOTALS WITHOUT FROSTING 102 calories; 2.5g fat; 2.55 net carbs; 10.2g protein
- - -
So this is something I'd have to factor into the day with all that protein.
Amazing how it can be so low in calories and so high in protein.
It was really good.

I frosted mine with a mixture of slightly nuked cream cheese, about 1T butter and a little vanilla DaVinci's. I think the oat fiber is ALL fiber, so it was too much for me to eat all at once (thankfully) but not too much in one day.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Here is the fudge recipe. It is one I developed pre-Lc and made with sugar, I called it a quick Fix fudge.

I have a 1200 watt microwave, so this is how it works in mine.

I take a deep narrow mixing bowl, probably an 8 cup one. Put 1 cup swerve, 1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa (has to be Hersheys, and not the dark chocolate one, not sure why but this doesn't seem to work with other brands or the dark), add a scant 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream. Stir to mix. Place in microwave and nuke for 3 minutes and 40 seconds. Remove and add 2 T of butter and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Don't stir. Let set as long as you can stand it, which for me isn't that long, and start beating. Slowly at first as it will splatter. I usually just use a large spoon or you can use your hand mixer. When it starts to thicken, pour into buttered 6 inch glad storage container, or whatever container you wish. Add nuts if desired.

It tastes just as good as my old sugar version, but, has a little of the grittiness of the swerve, which the sugar one didn't have, and just a tiny bit of cooling, both of which I don't mind. When I used to make this with sugar, I only nuked it for 2 minutes 40 seconds instead of the 3 min 40 seconds. It really does make a good frosting for the cake. I only made half the cake so made half of this for the icing, but cooked it less time. Or, make the whole thing, use what you wish for the icing and snarf down the rest. Totally your choice
Question: After the nuking, I remove from microwave and add 2T butter and 1 tsp vanilla and DON'T stir? Then when I can't stand it anymore I start stirring?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #289
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Wow Mary Kay, all Buffy has to do is mention something about nutritional info of Swerve and we can't get it for her fast enough!

Yes, we ARE amazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Now I have a question - because those 5g of carbs are from sugar alcohol and there is no effect on blood sugar, AND they say it's zero calorie, may I keep closing my eyes and whistling and pretending as if Swerve has no calories and no other impact on my carbs?

Please?
As long as you click your ruby red slippers . . .
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes, we ARE amazing!!

As long as you click your ruby red slippers . . .
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #291

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I made 2 new things today. A flourless torte & a chocolate peanut butter pie. The torte was wonderful, haven't tried the pie yet. I'm trying to find something to take on thanksgiving for US to have for dessert. We also put together our new tv stand. Took US 4 hours! And dh made chili for dinner. Yummy!
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #292
Princess Proofreader

DH cooked here too - we had breakfast - so bacon and eggs! Yum!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower review: I was pleasantly surprised - i liked it! I thought it was going to be another teen angst movie, but it went a lot deeper than that.
Emma Watson has definitely left Harry Potter behind. And she does a great American accent.

I liked the other characters as well.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower review: I was pleasantly surprised - i liked it! I thought it was going to be another teen angst movie, but it went a lot deeper than that.
Emma Watson has definitely left Harry Potter behind. And she does a great American accent.

Well excellent review!! Thank you so much!

Last edited by JMCM1; 11-11-2012 at 07:29 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Great review! - sorry for the double review. Trying to figure out how to format...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #295

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals..

Oh, that flourless torte sounds great, Sandy..Which recipe did you use??

I'm glad Emma Watson wasn't left at the curb like so many of those actors..

See you in the a.m...

P. S. Gary's giant snowblower is arriving tomorrow by truck..LOL..I hope we get some snow this year..
Of course, we should have had one 35 years ago when we lived in Northern Illinois..LOL

Last edited by CarolynF; 11-11-2012 at 09:42 PM..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #296
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

DH is off today, so he went to the hospital and I'm off to exercise ~ then we're going to lunch and the outlet mall!

TTYL!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! MK has a great day planned.
Carolyn ! A giant snowblower! Pretty sure my dh is jealous.

Working today but able to check in far too frequently...
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #298
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Wow! All I have to do is present a question to my gang here, go off and have fun and then come back to lots of posts in answer to my question. I like this plan!!!

I do know that Swerve does not raise my BS but kept thinking there was something I had read that sort of erased the carbs, so, went back to swerve website and read this:

Is Swerve Sweetener effective for low-carbohydrate dieters?

"""Because of it’s zero glycemic index, Swerve Sweetener Granular and Swerve Sweetener Confectioners Style are ideal for low-carb dieters. Erythritol is labeled as a carbohydrate (5grams) because it is basically a fiber (made from plants), but no calories, it is an anomaly. The carbohydrate count for table sugar is 4 grams per teaspoon and 15 calories."""

So, sounds like basically, the carbs in swerve are fiber, so perhaps they don't affect us like a regular carb would? I just know I love the stuff, so far it is working out well for me, as long as I don't eat numerous pieces of fudge at one setting that is!!!

Still would like an answer from the company as to the calories in a cup measurement of the stuff so will call them today.

Uh, I do want to this morning as I have now passed the 15 lb mark on my weight loss since coming back to LC. A nice new low this morning of 193.

Now, the interesting part. I have been doing an experiment this past week that I didn't mention. I had Red refigure my macros as I had gone to the doctor a while back and had them measure my height, I have shrunk from 5'6" to 5' 5 1/4". He has a spreadsheet he has made that figures it all out. So, according to his latest figures, I should be eating a minimum of 77 grams of protein a day, had been eating 57, and calories should be 2045 to 2386 . I said that was surely to maintain my weight, right? Not to lose??? He said that was to maintain at my goal weight of 150, so, at my current weight, that would be to lose weight. again!! But, last week, I thought I would give up a week to experiment and see what happens. So, all week, I ate at least 77 gr of protein and about 2050 calories, really had to push to get that many calories, eat fat like crazy. Except for yesterday, I was gone from mid afternoon until midnight and didn't eat dinner, came home and just went to bed. Anyway, a new low of 193 this AM. Very interesting! Scary as well.

DD said that she recently read an article that people who do LC are at a danger of not eating enough b/c they just aren't hungry. So, will continue the experiment and see what happens this week.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #299
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Cold this morning. I think it got to 22 degrees last night so a hard freeze. Got to use my auto-start on my car and test run the seat heaters. Man they heat up quick and high! Almost fried my buns!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #300
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Cold this morning. I think it got to 22 degrees last night so a hard freeze. Got to use my auto-start on my car and test run the seat heaters. Man they heat up quick and high! Almost fried my buns!!
Yes, they do get hot, wish they would serve a dual purpose and melt the fat off at the same time