Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
October Overachievers' Challenge

Ladies... It is new month with new challenges. How did we do?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Thanks for starting the new thread. I guess I missed the challenge... but since you asked, I lost 1/2 lb. in September.
You know, as in all things, focus on the good & count your blessings is sure a better way to go!

Last edited by DebbyL; 09-30-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #3

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Hi everybody. Having a wonderful time. Sounds like you all are doing great!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I'm here!!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
I came in at 297 for the month. Which feels really disappointing to me since I was at 296 on Sept 12 but too much alcohol and too much bacon sort of did me in for the rest of the month. It's still a 6 pound loss for the month which is good, but I know if I had been a little more focused it could have been more. I would normally say how much I'm going to really buckle down in October but my B-day is coming up and we have our first (since LC & wheat free) out of state trip for a wedding in Ohio. I know that I'm going to have about one week where slightly poor food choices are likely to happen. I won't eat wheat but I'm pretty sure my carbs won't be as low as normal and there will mostly likely be lots of alcohol to celebrate. But if I'm good the rest of the time I should be able to get a few pounds off.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #7

Hi ladies..

Two pounds up this month.. Cruise happened..and that is about 4 pounds down from
my after cruise weight. Dh gained a pound. He didn't drink any wine.

Yeah for our losers...

We have some smoked pork from Ds's new smoker. He was pretty proud of it and had
a few traumatic moments with the smoker's temp going low, then high..But he is learning..
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Hi all - I don't think I lost anything. I think I'm getting settled and will just continue this way of eating for now - I really like it.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sharon & Carolyn - did you use much oil on Sharon's yummy onion dish? I think I used way too much. Then when I put in the almond flour & parmesan cheese, it soaked a lot up.

The taste was good, I just don't think I did it right. Did anyone's get crispy? Or just brown?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #10

Judy..Maybe a Tbs. or less of the coconut oil (with no taste). Mine didn't get crispy, but it was so easy..I kept stirring mine and flipping it.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you - I used way too much oil. Not that it didn't taste good, but we could only eat small bites and we will for days (I hate throwing out food).

Love your signature (cruise happened)!
And Cindy I like your new avitar, too!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Hi everyone, just checking in as I just got home from my trip and too tired to post much tonight.
I am proud of myself for how I did on trip.
I got my blood test results from last Wed., need to go over those with you all.
More later!!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

back Buffy!
Congratulations on sticking with low carb!
Even if there is a little travel puffiness, it'll go away quickly.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Judy!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Oh boy I'm a little late getting in here today. I'm starting this month so will put down 275#. Now we will see what happens this month.

Julie it was a tbls. of oil.

It's been so hot here today. Over in the 100's. We were warned so was expecting it. The moon was beautiful last night. We took a ride up on top of a hill close by and really saw it good. A big orange ball in the sky.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Sharon, sounds like a harvest moon.

Thanks for letting me know how much oil - I'm going to make that again but this time correctly!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Two pounds up this month.. Cruise happened..and that is about 4 pounds down from my after cruise weight. Dh gained a pound. He didn't drink any wine.
Yeah for our losers...
Good for you Carolyn! That's really good for someone who went on a cruise!
WTG Jess & everyone! one day at a time, gets you there!

We had a very different evening... power went out at 4 pm came back on at 8:30 pm, after we finally gave in & started the generator. I hate to say it, but we're totally spoiled with electricity.

I think I'm on the right track with my meds. The upped calories don't seem to be hurting me, so far.

I tried on a pair of size 4 jeans today.... they fit! I wanted to buy them (just for that) ... but they were too long & boot-cut. So I resisted. ... Vanity, vanity...

Oh ya, I also locked my keys in my car so I had a nice brisk walk through town for 20 minutes while I waited for the guy to come get it open... That's another reason I couldn't buy the jeans... I didn't have my purse!

Hope everyone does great!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #19

Hi gals..

Debbie: What an adventure..good thing you had a generator..And size 4 jeans is wonderful.....I've locked my keys in my car before, but learned to keep a spare key in my purse..It has come in handy several times..

I did make a consultation appointment next week with that new Atkins Dr. in town just to help me get this last 10 pounds off...grumble..

Buffy: Trips are the worst time, but we are all proud of you.. You met the challenge..

Hi to everyone...Glad our 100's are a thing of the past..You can do it Sharon..

::::

Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!

Well, this is new.......I woke up and got up at 7:00 AM after coming home very tired from a trip, woo hoo LC!!! And, I weighed this morning and I have a loss for this past week, so my total loss for the month of Sept. is 10 1/2 lbs!!! I am a very happy LC'er this morning! I didn't log my food while I was gone, started trying but it is just too hard when you eat out, you don't know the oz measurement of things, etc. Most mornings were easy enough, 2-3 eggs, meat and some cheese but from then on it was just whatever was on the menu that was the lowest carb, I feel like I ate more calories than I had been eating at home which was good with the fact that I did have a loss for this past week, gives me hope that for the time being, I might not have to restrict calories as much as I have been. Would like to be eating a little more than I have been, so that, when I hit a stall, I have some wiggle room to adjust downward on my calories to start the loss again. Such a science, feel like I should have been a science major!!!

Carolyn, you have a new Atkins doctor in your town? Tell us more about that.

Debby, what are size 4 jeans??? Do tell. I have never experienced anything remotely near to a size 4 except at Chico's who have European sizing, or their own or something crazy, 1, 2, 3 and now 4's. Wow, that is amazing news and we are so proud of you. Bummers on the locked car, like Carolyn, I carry an extra in my purse but sounds like you locked your purse in the car.

Jess, congrats on your loss for the month

to everyone, can you all believe we are in OCTOBER???? Where does the time go?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Debby: What an adventure..good thing you had a generator..And size 4 jeans is wonderful.....I've locked my keys in my car before, but learned to keep a spare key in my purse..It has come in handy several times..
I did make a consultation appointment next week with that new Atkins Dr. in town just to help me get this last 10 pounds off...grumble..
LOL... Yep, got spare keys in my purse... which was in the car.
Atkins Dr... good for you! Hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I weighed this morning and I have a loss for this past week, so my total loss for the month of Sept. is 10 1/2 lbs!!!
Debby, what are size 4 jeans??? Do tell. I have never experienced anything remotely near to a size 4 except at Chico's who have European sizing, or their own or something crazy, 1, 2, 3 and now 4's. Wow, that is amazing news and we are so proud of you. Bummers on the locked car, like Carolyn, I carry an extra in my purse but sounds like you locked your purse in the car.
Congrats on your wt. loss! Super!
Ya, they keep changing the sizes... it used to be a size 10, then 8, then 6, now 4 (I think). I think its because the average size of Americans keeps getting bigger & sales people want us to feel good about ourselves?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Quote:
Debby, what are size 4 jeans??? Do tell. I have never experienced anything remotely near to a size 4 except at Chico's who have European sizing, or their own or something crazy, 1, 2, 3 and now 4's.
I wear size 4's all the time! But they are from the plus size department at Target Plus size brands all have their own crazy sizing systems.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBunny View Post
I wear size 4's all the time! But they are from the plus size department at Target Plus size brands all have their own crazy sizing systems.
yes Jess, I used to say I wore a 1 or a 2, but for some crazy reason mine had an X after the number
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy the couple of times I have gone from home since I started eating this way sounds a lot like your trip. I simply ate low carb at every opportunity. At lunches and dinners if they had some vegetables that hadn't been breaded, I ate those with gusto, covered in oil or butter as necessary. I always ate what I thought was too much protein. I came back with little losses after each trip.

Which makes me wonder why I weigh and measure every single little thing when I'm home!

My little thyroid panel came back (Wow Debby I see what you mean - no copying and pasting here!):
Test Description
TSH--- Result 4.43----- Range 0.450-4.500----- Units uIU/mL

Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum----- Result 2.6------ Range 2.0-4.4----- Units pg/mL

T4,Free(Direct)----- Result 0.82 ------ Range 0.82-1.77 ------ Units ng/dL

Then some different website analysis:

High TSH, LowT4, Low or normal T3 = Hypothyroidism <-- this one
However, I only had measured my TSH, FT3 and FT4
- -
So although my TSH is not out of range, it seems at the high end of the range, while FT4 and FT3 seem at the very low end of the range.
- - -

Rebecca Latham's blog has a doctor analyzing some thyroid results saying he liked to see TSH at 1.8, likes FT4 at 2 and he would have measured other things (Thyroxine [T4?], T3 uptake, T4)

Any thoughts?
Or should I run screaming over to the thyroid boards??

And see Debby? I knew you were tiny - Size 4 jeans! Yahoo!!

Last edited by JMCM1; 10-02-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Judy, your borderline. Are you on meds? If not, you may have a little trouble convincing a doc you need to start with borderline labs however, if you have symptoms, that may convince them. Your FT3 isn't bad but your TSH/FT4 are low normal. Probably need a touch of synthroid. Are you on hormone replacement?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, although I have had hypothyroid for years, I am no expert on it. Just let my endo test and treat me and as long as I am not having problems, let him be the guide.

My test results that just came back were:
T-4 11
T-uptake 34.7
TSH 0.39
T-7 3.82

I do know that TSH of 4.43 is almost at the top of the range, 4.50 is the top and most of the doctors who have treated me for it like to see it far below that. Notes at bottom of my test results say: Thyroid function tests are good, stay on same meds. Now, you can also get your tsh too low, which also can cause you to not feel good, gain weight, etc. A few people think that the lower your tsh the better to lose weight, not so, it is such a balance.

So, I think you have some more work to do on getting yours at optimum level but you need much better informed people to help you.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok Judy, your chocolate recipe has evolved at my house to just this. 2 oz cream cheese, 2 T sour cream, 1 really heaping T of cocoa, 1/2 t vanilla and sweetezz and or swerve to taste. Just mix up good and keep in fridge. Yummo. Tonight, I am going to fix a bigger batch using 8 oz of CC and put into 4 little bowls to have it ready.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Judy, your borderline. Are you on meds? If not, you may have a little trouble convincing a doc you need to start with borderline labs however, if you have symptoms, that may convince them. Your FT3 isn't bad but your TSH/FT4 are low normal. Probably need a touch of synthroid. Are you on hormone replacement?
No I'm not on meds. My mother and sister are both hypothyroid and I just figured it was a matter of time.

My pulse seems high and I had a few weeks of trouble sleeping, but honestly I'm never tired, have trouble falling asleep, but since menopause can stay asleep now.

When I started low carb June 4, my bp went down but not my pulse; my hair quit falling out - but I also notice all of a sudden my skin is dry and my hair is dry (my scalp).

I don't know. I'm not really uncomfortable - not suffering or anything.
I think I could find a doc here who actually would treat with a small dose of synthroid.

Now I kind of want to test my adrenals... ah, the power of being able to order our own tests! (and the lack of my knowledge of what to do with them! )

Thanks Cindy & Buffy!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Ok Judy, your chocolate recipe has evolved at my house to just this. 2 oz cream cheese, 2 T sour cream, 1 really heaping T of cocoa, 1/2 t vanilla and sweetezz and or swerve to taste. Just mix up good and keep in fridge. Yummo. Tonight, I am going to fix a bigger batch using 8 oz of CC and put into 4 little bowls to have it ready.
So no egg?
Because if so - that lowers the protein to a MUCH more acceptable amount!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #30

Hi gals..

Judy: According to our resident thyroid expert, Pam, who used to be on the boards..

T3 should be in the top third of the range
and T4 should be in the middle level of the range.

You need help here..That is why your TSH is so high..Perfect is around 1 or 2.

Hmmm...now to find a good doctor that will help you. You might be able to get
some Synthroid from your regular doctor if he knows anything about thyroids..
I go to a lady in Coffeyville (80 minutes from you) who is good at understanding the numbers..

There is a Weight Loss Doctor in town who has gone to Dr. Westman's clinic at Duke and
advocates Atkins as a way too lose weight..It is amazing for such a small town..10,000 peeps..But people love her and she is extremely busy..
Closed Thread