Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SweetSilverBird
Stats: Over 400/260/180
WOE: NoSurgery HFLC
Start Date: September 10, 2010
May I join you ladies? I know, I've been here for years .. 9 to be exact. .. and I've been on Atkins off and on since 2003, but I really got serious when I became ill with Polymyalgia Rheumatica in September 2010. I was already ill with numerous problems and I've been in a wheelchair since late '90s because of back injuries and a broken leg that will never heal. Shattered. When I got PMR though.. they put me on heavy doses of steroids for what may be for life. They told me I would never lose any weight on it and may gain rapidly. At that point I began my High Fat Low Carb journey. The Swedish Diet.

I have lost 120 lbs now on my 2 year anniversary with no surgery and only this diet and my pain to take away my appetite. I hope to lose another hundred by spring.

I usually hang out on the Playground, but as you can see, I am a serious dieter.

w*v*w
Моя любовь словно птица, которая готова взвиться в вышину

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
How nice to have you, SweetSilverBird!!
Gosh, what a story - and an inspiration.
So glad you are here!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
SweetSilverBird!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #244
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
SweetSilver, please join us and let us get to know you. Some of us have been on this thread for a long time, so please excuse us if we get to yakking about things that have nothing to do with our diets but have to do with our lives. Wow, you have been through a lot, I give you on being able to lose with all that going on.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SweetSilverBird
Stats: Over 400/260/180
WOE: NoSurgery HFLC
Start Date: September 10, 2010
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes, it was hard to go through everything, but I was really inspired when I was at my sickest. One doctor told me that if I didn't find some way of losing, I would be dead in 2 years. That always gets the creative juices going, believe me!!!

I have enjoyed reading through this whole thread, and also the nutritional Ketosis thread - but I think this is the place where I can be supportive, and can find the right sort of support. I still have so far to go, and I'm still on quite a high dose of Prednisone and may be on it forever. It's going to be a fight to get to where I want to go.

I make my own yogurt. Maybe that is one of my best tricks. I can make 20 2 cup jars of yogurt for the price of 1 2cup container from the store, so I'm happy about that. I make mine from full fat milk, and the yogurt eats the milk sugar out of the milk, leaving the protein and fat behind for a perfect diet food. Generally 2 of my meals are yogurt on many of the days of the week. I add nuts to it from time to time.

In general I don't buy any bars or 'breads' that are 'lowcarb' because I don't quite trust them. But I do trust homemade things. I love the recipes you gals are posting. I can't wait to try them!!!

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

~bird
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #246
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
So over the winter? In Park City? Does she ski because that's what I would be doing!!
Yup from November to mid-February. She doesn't ski, but it would be fun if she could fit it in..She is on a very limited budget as she has to find a place to live in Salt Lake..

Welcome, Silver..Nice to see you...Great weight loss...

Buffy, you need to befriend Maria's on FB..She posts recipes all the time there..
I think it is Maria's Nutritional Counseling..(?)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes Buffy & Silver both - it is Maria Emmerich - google - maria's nutritional counseling. Many good recipes.

Silver you are right - this is a great group and the recipes the others post (I am a little new myself, so I still ask a lot of questions) are tried and true.

Don't know if you eschew artificial sweeteners - I seem to love them!
I can tolerate several, but not all.

Are you still in a wheelchair, and cook from there? Is your kitchen modified? I think I tried to make my own yogurt about 20 years ago. With all the sweeteners out there I think I might like that.

That Nutritional Ketosis thread is good - as you probably know - but I agree, you'll enjoy being here, too.

Carolyn I'm glad you are posting more!

Where in the nation is Mary Kay?

Last edited by JMCM1; 10-09-2012 at 07:19 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!
The whole board is quiet this morning!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here! I'm here!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #250
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning! Slept kind of late again, had trouble last night getting to sleep, probably b/c I slept late yesterday.

I went to Maria's site and liked her facebook page so now I will get those new recipes that way. I have so many of the great LC cooks sites on my desktop that I could just spend days and days reading them.

Taxes are off to CPA, whew, glad that is finally finished. I start doing them earlier, then have to wait to get one or two pieces of info, then by the time I get back to them, I have to go over everything to remember where I was

Need to get DL renewed, go for a follow up blood test the Dr. ordered b/c my sodium was too low, then dinner club is tonight and I have a couple of birthday gifts to wrap for that.

Need to go look up menu at the place we are eating tonight so I will know what to order and if need be, go full . I also need to get some groceries but our new Aldi's opens tomorrow, might wait and go there but I always hate to go to a new store on opening day, oh, the crowds.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning! Slept kind of late again, had trouble last night getting to sleep, probably b/c I slept late yesterday.

Taxes are off to CPA, whew, glad that is finally finished. I start doing them earlier, then have to wait to get one or two pieces of info, then by the time I get back to them, I have to go over everything to remember where I was

Need to get DL renewed, go for a follow up blood test the Dr. ordered b/c my sodium was too low, then dinner club is tonight and I have a couple of birthday gifts to wrap for that.

Need to go look up menu at the place we are eating tonight so I will know what to order and if need be, go full . I also need to get some groceries but our new Aldi's opens tomorrow, might wait and go there but I always hate to go to a new store on opening day, oh, the crowds.
Good job! Taxes in... happy for you Buffy!
Interesting about your sodium level... would like to hear results...
Have a good one!
Judy!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #252
Big Yapper!!!!

Debby, when it came back low 2 weeks ago, the Dr. had me lower my dose of a BP med that had a diuretic part in it. But, I still think it is too low b/c I am still have trouble with leg cramps. Going to make sure I get my broth in today.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #253
Big Yapper!!!!

I have always enjoyed grocery shopping, due to my love of eating I guess and cooking. When my family was home especially. Now, I don't cook or grocery shop as much but am cooking more now that I am back to LC.

So, enjoyed the day the ads came in the paper, but have you noticed it takes about 3 minutes now to look over the ads? Meat/cheese/eggs/avocado,HWC, butter. The rest is filled with stuff I don't even look at anymore. Oh well, gives me more time to hang out here
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #254
Big Yapper!!!!

Today is trash day so I spend a few minutes last evening going through the freezer and throwing away carby foods. Lots of things went into the trash, I still have more to go but got some of it done. The mango sherbert that I love also went down the drain, of course it was pretty old now, haven't eaten it since August so I doubt it would have been at it's best anyway.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Sandy: The funny thing about the saffron is that I have never eaten it before but since we are going to have a ton of the stuff in the next few weeks I think I would like to try it out. Of course Iím going to have to figure out what to make with it, Iím hoping it goes well with chicken.

Carolyn: Iím really curious about the almond bran too; youíll have to let us know how it goes. I do have terrible luck with Mariaís recipes but I love reading her blog and her books.

Hello to our new guests!!

Bird, I freaking love making my own yogurt!! Iíve been making it for years, long before going low carb. Of course back then I made it from skim milk, now I make it with half and half and it is sooooo good. I like to eat mine with peanut butter but Iíve been on a weird kick lately where I want to eat peanut butter with everything.

I found a dress in my closet for the wedding this weekend. Still a little snug over the bust but I have a cardigan that should help with that problem. Thank goodness for cardies, I wear them constantly.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love grocery shopping, too, but the same thing for me - all the "stuff" I used to look at no longer interests me.

Hey - Judy Barnes Baker (hope I have her name right) at Carb Wars put up this fudge recipe that looks good and easy. I have Jay Robb vanilla whey powder I've never used, but maybe now it'll be worth opening up! The nutritional info is hers, not mine.

Peanut Butter Fudge

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of butter or part coconut oil
1/2 cup natural peanut butter, plain or chunky
2 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sugar substitute equal to 1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vanilla whey protein powder, such as MRM brand
1/3 cup cocoa powder
Dash of salt
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Butter a 5x7-inch baking dish or pan and line with parchment or wax paper, leaving an overhang on two sides to aid removal. Butter paper also.

Melt the butter and peanut butter together in a medium saucepan over low heat or on low setting in microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix together well.

In a second bowl, beat cream cheese to soften, and then beat into peanut butter mixture until blended and smooth. Stir in vanilla and sugar substitute.

In another bowl, whisk together the whey protein powder, cocoa powder, and salt until blended. Sift dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat until smooth. Stir in nuts, if using. Spread fudge in prepared pan and chill or freeze until set. Remove fudge from pan and cut into 20 squares. (It is very rich, so I recommend keeping the servings small.) Store in refrigerator or freezer. May be eaten frozen.

Makes 20 servings.

Calories: 107; Protein: 1.4 g; Fat: 11.1 g; Net Carbs: 0.5 g
Judy Barnes Baker, Carb Wars

- - -
Jess, this fits in your "peanut butter on everything!" way of eating!

Last edited by JMCM1; 10-10-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm taking a lot of magnesium now - 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am aware it can cause bathroom issues, so be careful, but I haven't had leg cramps since I started taking that much magnesium.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Peanut Butter Fudge

Jess, this fits in your "peanut butter on everything!" way of eating!
LOL, I could do some serious damage to PB Fudge. That's a gotta be carefull food for me. Lately I've just been eating the PB straight from the jar with a spoon. I almost get excited when I can't think of something for dinner or a snack so I can just eat PB instead.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #259
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, I have made that fudge, but I didn't notice or the recipe I tried didn't have the cocoa in it, it is good and that is the exact protein powder I used, but I just don't usually care for the taste of protein powder in things. Every so often I will just eat a teeny sliver of it, do like the consistency and the PB taste. I think I would enjoy more of a fat bomb idea with PB, there are several of those recipes floating around.

I am currently up to 400 magnesium a day, my tablets are 400 and I dont know if they will break in half or not, should get some lesser mg ones to ease it up.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBunny View Post
Sandy: The funny thing about the saffron is that I have never eaten it before but since we are going to have a ton of the stuff in the next few weeks I think I would like to try it out. Of course Iím going to have to figure out what to make with it, Iím hoping it goes well with chicken.

Carolyn: Iím really curious about the almond bran too; youíll have to let us know how it goes. I do have terrible luck with Mariaís recipes but I love reading her blog and her books.

Hello to our new guests!!

Bird, I freaking love making my own yogurt!! Iíve been making it for years, long before going low carb. Of course back then I made it from skim milk, now I make it with half and half and it is sooooo good. I like to eat mine with peanut butter but Iíve been on a weird kick lately where I want to eat peanut butter with everything.

I found a dress in my closet for the wedding this weekend. Still a little snug over the bust but I have a cardigan that should help with that problem. Thank goodness for cardies, I wear them constantly.
I'll bet your yogurt is yummy. I used to drain plain yogurt to make yocheese and had fun doing that, before we could easily find the greek yogurt here. I really am enjoying making some of my own things that I have always purchased before, partly the fun of making them and mostly, knowing exactly what is in them.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Judy, I have made that fudge, but I didn't notice or the recipe I tried didn't have the cocoa in it, it is good and that is the exact protein powder I used, but I just don't usually care for the taste of protein powder in things. Every so often I will just eat a teeny sliver of it, do like the consistency and the PB taste. I think I would enjoy more of a fat bomb idea with PB, there are several of those recipes floating around.

I am currently up to 400 magnesium a day, my tablets are 400 and I dont know if they will break in half or not, should get some lesser mg ones to ease it up.
I had wondered whether I would notice the taste of the protein powder. I might not rush to make this. I made Carolyn's chocolate bar mixed with coconut oil, etc. and have plenty of that, so... I'm probably good for now.
AND I CAN ALWAYS DIP IT IN PEANUT BUTTER, JESS!

I had in my fridge for quite awhile a kind of fat bomb that was peanut butter and cream cheese. I do not think it's a new recipe at all. Kept very well in the fridge and was good every time I remembered it was there.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #262
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, not sure if it is the taste, or the texture or what on protein powders, just never seem to like things much when I add that in, and now, since we are doing modified protein, not much need to use it.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #263
Big Yapper!!!!

Found out where we are going to dinner, a local good Italian place. Not much for me to choose from but there are a few things that will fit the bill. Have settled on grilled chicken and a house salad with blue cheese dressing. Then have 2 fat bombs in my allowance for today so when I get home, can reward myself for being good at dinner. Will have ice tea or just water to drink. Used to really really miss having wine or a cocktail with my friends but have kind of lost my desire for that in my old age, it all changed when I got diabetes, I just don't feel very well if I drink, so it make it easy to give it up. Kind of, well, ok, I really miss that buzz though and it just made everything more fun
Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Good morning ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I got some almond bran in the mail today..Going to try Maria's almond bran muffins. Will let you guys know if they are good..This almond bran is a new thing..I wonder if
it would make a nice hot LC cereal..hmmm..
Would you share more about your almond bran? I would like to give that one a try. TJ's has the almond flour with the bran still in it but I have not seen the just bran in our stores yet in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchancesaloon View Post
Hello, just joined & was invited to join your thread!
last chance. I'm still new here and love this place!

Quote:
I am so excited, I got my Sten Skaldeman book, Lose Weight by eating Nordic Superfood, The Scandinavian Diet. Shipping kept saying it should arrive at the end of the month so was very happy to get it today. I have to work in my office this afternoon but I just can't wait to start reading it.
Oh yes let us know about the book! My Norwegian heritage is peaked,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilverBird View Post
May I join you ladies?

I have lost 120 lbs now on my 2 year anniversary with no surgery and only this diet and my pain to take away my appetite. I hope to lose another hundred by spring.
bird. You and I could be sisters in weight loss. I started losing at 350 pounds and now I'm at 270. So glad you found us. How do you make your yogurt? Can you share your recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I'm taking a lot of magnesium now - 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am aware it can cause bathroom issues, so be careful, but I haven't had leg cramps since I started taking that much magnesium.
I think I need to up my dose of mag. I woke up last night with a cramp on the inside of my leg. Wow what an eye opener. Painfull and startling!

Quote:
Found out where we are going to dinner, a local good Italian place. Not much for me to choose from but there are a few things that will fit the bill.
Enjoy your dinner tonight. I do the same thing when I have to eat out. I always make sure I have something yummy and on plan waiting as my reward when I get home.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.Ē
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I actually think I'm taking an extraordinarily high dose of magnesium. I think lots of people get by on less.

I was taking 500mg/day before I started low-carbing and high-fatting and medium proteining.

When I started eating this way I just cut off every supplement and have added-in several as I've gone along.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #266

Hi ladies..

Just got home..Birthday lunch at the Chinese place for an exercising friend..I just had
chicken chow mein..No noodles, but I'm sure the cornstarch was there...

I take 500 mg of mag..That seems to work for me. And 2 (99s) of potassium..

The almond bran is found at Nut-rition or something like that..I think it is the only place
that sells it..It is very lowcarb and probably needs to be mixed with almond flour, etc., when you make anything..It is very much like wheat bran..very fluffy..

Buffy: Sounds like a plan..When dh goes "Italian" he custom orders a dish with sausage/cheese/peppers/mushrooms/sauce and cheese in a casserole. They are always happy to do that for him..

That PB fudge recipe looks good..I've made the PB bombs and they are great, too..

Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #267
Big Yapper!!!!

Here we go:
Melt 2/3 cup CO, mix with 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1-2 packets truvia. Stir until really blended and pour into muffin pan that has been lined with cupcake liners. Refrigerate and they will harden up. I then keep them stacked in a tupperware dish in the refrigerator. Very yummy!!

Just made these peanut butter cups and let me tell you.........magnificent!!!!
Thank you! I would have never thought of doing this!!!

I randomly showed up to this cream cheese cloud thread and I saw your post. I was like, "Hmmmmmm." Then I made them, and here we are!

SO MELTY AND GOOD!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #268
Big Yapper!!!!

Carolyn, you have been one busy lady lately! Sounds like my sister, her schedule just wears me out hearing about it.

I am going to try cutting my mag tablets in half, or taking 400 one day, 800 every other day to see if I can slowly climb up the amount.

Gary's custom dish sounds very good as well. I even thought about taking my homemade ranch dressing for my salad but nutrition wise it doesn't make much difference, I just know it has the good fats in it. But, I don't want to be too OCD about this either and call attention to myself over a salad dressing.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #269

Yummm...I need to make those peanut butter thingies..Yes, Buffy..people don't like it when you are too OCD about your food..I wouldn't take the ranch, but I always have my ranch on the side and then dip the fork in the dressing, then get some salad. I learned that trick in WWers years ago. LOL..

On the mag..How do know when you are taking too much? You will make many trips to bathroom the next day..(and not to check on your makeup either)
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm still adjusting my thyroid/adrenal meds. My temperature is still not where it should be.

Time to work-out!

Last edited by DebbyL; 10-10-2012 at 04:49 PM..
Closed Thread