Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
That pumpkin bake sounds good.

Your Doctor sounds Great.

I think you can probably keep your cup o' joe.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I am home! I don't think my prescription will please you all, but I think she gave it grudgingly.
She appears to be an actual doctor, and not just someone I can ask to fill my prescription!

Actually, for age 54, I have few complaints. She listened to my history, my way of eating, my blood pressure was good. I weighed 2 pounds less than here at home (win!) and she asked why I thought I might be hypothyroid.

I showed her my tests and she said the same things you all said - high-ish TSH, low range FT3, low range FT4. She gave me a printout from her office agreeing with the fact that the TSH could be in range, but symptoms would dictate need for treatment, or indicate hypothyroid depending on T3 & T4, etc.

She asked my symptoms and I told her my main symptom was that my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. She worried that prescribing thyroid medication could worsen that. I have not slept well lately, dry skin, losing hair...

So she ordered a full battery of blood tests. She looked at my thyroid, felt with her fingers, and took out a tape measure. She thought it looked slightly enlarged so ordered an ultrasound of my thyroid.

Then I'm to wear a holter monitor for 24 hours and she gave me an RX for Synthroid 25 mcg for now. I have another appointment in 30 days for her further evaluation.

I liked her, she was not dismissive. And I think I'll go ahead and try the Synthroid and see what happens.
Glad it went well. Typical of today's dr's... synthroid. But you will be effected right away, it acts fast. It made me over-heat & night-sweat, intolerance to heat... hope it doesn't do that to you, its kind of embarrassing. But its a very low dose, so that's good.
It will be most excellent if she can find a way to "cure" you!
What's involved in a bone-density test? I should get one of those too...
Thanks for the update!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
If it doesn't agree with me, I do think she'll be open to natural thyroid, too. And if not, we'll still have all the results of those tests and I'll find a doctor who will be open to a natural thyroid treatment, too.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #64

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
25 is not very much..and it takes about a month to see results..I do think the ultrasound
is very important..Is she going to schedule that for you?

Bone density is my favorite test..You just lie there..No pain involved.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The hospital just called me - I go in Friday! They said it was a 30-minute procedure I don't need to do anything for except show up! So far this testing isn't hurting a bit.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #66

Good..I don't think this test hurts..

Just had a piece of 85 percent chocolate from Aldis..It is very good.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Did you go to Bartlesville? I used to stop at Aldi's on the way home nearly every weekend. They have nice dark chocolate!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #68

Yes...I did last week when I was picking dh up from the airport...I should go more often because their nuts are great and the cream cheese is $1.18 a package (or something like that).
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #69
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Judy, I think your doctor sounds awesome. Most doctors don't want to try armour at first, they like the synthetic better b/c they feel the dose is more regulated than with armour. I get along find on levoxyl which is snythetic. I think she went above and beyond what most doctors would have done, I am very impressed. I think you will be satisfied once you are done with what she has recommended!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Now that you mention shopping, I will copy a post I just wrote on another thread.

Ok gang, went grocery shopping today. Sure doing more of that now that I am into this WOE, we were eating out a lot more before.

I look through the ads if I have the time, find all the great specials that I want, at all the stores, then circle them in red marker and off I go to Walmart. They will match all specials I finally found out when I came out from under the rock I had been living under. Oh, fine, it was a fairly nice rock, but the view was very obstructed.

So, I got avocados at 50 cents each, I got cans of albacore tuna for a buck each, I got Philly Cream cheese for 10 for $10, whoo hoo, that was a great savings as I go through a lot of that and wow, has it gotten high. I picked up a fillet of swai fish to try, sure glad I just picked up one, really didn't care for it like I do tilapia. Then I finally broke down and bought a brisket at the regular walmart price. Brisket used to be on sale on and off all summer long but this year, only saw a couple of deals at Kroger where it was $10 off a whole brisket if you spent so many dollars. I cut them up into like 4 pieces, seal a meal 3 of them and slow cook the other one. I love the way the fat on top gets so crispy. Also picked up 3 lbs of bacon ends and pieces, have never bought it that way before but thought I would give it a try, definitely cheaper. HWC, sour cream, lettuce, think that was about it. Looked at the mayo, Hellman's has a Olive oil one, what a joke, it does have a "little" OO in it, so thus the claim but I think the main oil was still soy. Got to get on this job of making some and finding a recipe that I like. Picked up a block of Havarti and eggs, got 2 cartons of eggs, one organic and one free range but it didn't say organic. Been comparing eggs to try to find the best tasting ones. Think that was about it. Oh, and I went to World Market and bought 4 different dark chocolate bars to try. Lindt Excellence 85% cocoa, World Market 99% cacao, that one may be beyond dark chocolate, a Ghiradelli Intense Dark Midnight Reverie 86% cacao bar, sounds like a really dark one, right? And, then, another of the one I have already tried and love, the Chocolove Almonds & Sea Salt in Dark Chocolate. Took me a number of years to acquire the taste for very dark chocolate, used to like only milk chocolate.

So, enough rambling on about my shopping.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

*whew* I felt like I was letting down anyone hoping I could get a more natural thyroid medicine. I'm not miserable (yet) just have a few symptoms but I can see the road I'm going down - same as the rest of my family, and would rather not have to get crazed...

So I was hopeful for her to run all these tests, prescribe a little something, then we can adjust later.

Thanks friends.

- - -
Buffy your shopping trip sounds exhausting! HA HA!
But your cart sounds suspiciously like mine....

Last edited by JMCM1; 10-03-2012 at 05:53 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Think I will go back again for 10 more cream cheese's. I go through that stuff like crazy making stuff for DD and me. She ordered another batch of fat bombs today so I need to get those made for her tomorrow. I am trying to help her out in any way I can so that she can stick to LC, she is so darn busy that is it so much easier for her to grab carby stuff.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #73
Big Yapper!!!!

I notice that I really can't spell anymore!!! Wish we had spell check on here.

Judy, I think I lot of people go to the natural thyroid when they just can't seem to get regulated on the other. You did good, sounds like you found a great doctor to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

We are getting an Aldi's, I saw the sign the other day, not far from me either.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #75
Big Yapper!!!!

Just tried the 99% cacoa bar, one small square is more than enough. It is ok, think I will like the 85% better. I think broken up into tiny pieces and added to something backed though would be a good use for it.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #76

Wowza Buffy..You are one great shopper..I forget to look for other circulars to take to our Wallie..Great idea.

I can fix that 99 percent bar..Take some coconut oil (couple of Tbs.), put it in a microsafe bowl, then break up the 99 percent bar and melt them in the micro..Take it out and mix it together..Add some sweetener to taste and some nuts if you want..Then pour it out on a waxed lined paper or a parchment lined paper on a cookie sheet..Put it in the freezer..Then when it is hard, break it up and put in a baggie in the freezer..

Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Wowza Buffy..You are one great shopper..I forget to look for other circulars to take to our Wallie..Great idea.

I can fix that 99 percent bar..Take some coconut oil (couple of Tbs.), put it in a microsafe bowl, then break up the 99 percent bar and melt them in the micro..Take it out and mix it together..Add some sweetener to taste and some nuts if you want..Then pour it out on a waxed lined paper or a parchment lined paper on a cookie sheet..Put it in the freezer..Then when it is hard, break it up and put in a baggie in the freezer..
You got it, I had already thought of softening it and adding some sweetner, but hadn't thought of adding the CO. Great idea, especially with some nuts.

The square I had taken out, I softened and then added some sea salt to it, that wasn't bad either.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

At first I thought, well, you would have to buy it, then haul it to customer service for an adjustment, but no, just show them the ad as you are checking out and they adjust the price right then and there. Then I pass the marked ads on to DD if there are things I know she will want.

What brand of CC does Aldi's carry for $1.18? I have only used Philly
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #79

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...andy-nuts.html
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #80

Thanks, Buffy..

I think their dairy brand is Happy Farms..I will give it a try tomorrow on my pumpkin muffin.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn you make our lives happy!

Easy Chocolate Candy with Nuts CarolynF
This is soo easy and foolproof..Not induction friendly, though.

1 bar of 85 percent Lindt chocolate
6 Tbs. of coconut oil (I like the unflavored)
12 drops of liquid Splenda or 1/2 cup of dry sweetener (or a mixture)
1/2 tsp. of vanilla
1/2 cup of chopped pecans/walnuts or whatever

Put your bar (broken up pieces) and coconut oil in the microwave safe bowl for about a minute. When mostly melted, stir until the chocolate is melted..You can zap it again for 15 seconds if you need to.

Then sweeten to taste and add vanilla and nuts to the bowl of chocolate.

Take a sheet of parchment paper or maybe waxed paper and place in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Pour chocolate mixture into the pan and place in the freezer, making sure it is level. Freeze until hard..Then break up the pieces of candy and keep in a baggie in the freezer.

The Lindt has 22 net carbs, the nuts have 2-3 net carbs. Say 25 carbs for the whole batch. You can get at least 25 nice sized pieces of this pan.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #82

Judy..This is really good candy with no bathroom issues included..
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #83
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Judy..This is really good candy with no bathroom issues included..
Saw a recipe today to make your own chocolate bars and she had used a candy bar mold, which really made them look nice. I love my fat bomb molds.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Every day.

Every day, I think to myself: you joined the right group.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I agree !! I have some in the freezer right now Thanks for that great recipe !

Buffy, I'm so jealous....we only have HEB and WallieWorld and CC is $1.98 each at both stores !
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Every day.

Every day, I think to myself: you joined the right group.
You have really added a lot to our little group
Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

I know Laura, I have been paying $1.99 for CC too, really got excited when I saw 10/$10, I really think I will get 10 more packs, it keeps well
Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #88
Big Yapper!!!!

Where is everyone today? I suppose you all are being really good and out exercising while I sit here in my chair, banging on my keyboard. Have got some of the house picked up though and 1 load of laundry done. Next, tackle the kitchen and I need to make a couple of recipes for DD and myself, then 1 more load of laundry. Then, need to get thru the piles on my desk to get organized. I was when I left town, truly, how does it get out of control so fast?

Have taken the lowered dose of BP meds the past 2 days, it was the one that had the diuretic in it, and I can tell I am retaining more fluid. Dang, I hate that b/c it messes with my scale which messes with my head, which messes, oh heck, back to work
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

Or wait, it isn't November yet is it? Did I miss the new thread?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HA HA!!

No - I don't know where people are!

I was afraid I was posting too frequently so I backed off a little.
Maybe there's a new thread and we're the only ones who don't know.... EEK!
Closed Thread