Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #571
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Good morning!
I'm down .25 under goal today
Yesterday enjoyed helping fill the wood-room with hubby... but got hit by a big log that bounced across the room & hit my ankle. Its fine PTL! A bit swollen & sore, but it scared me I need to exercise!! Was still able to, whew!
My handy man stayed inside & did lots of things for me that needed doing for a while, what a great day! Then they had a 7.7 magnitude earthquake locally... felt in our town (but not by us). Everyone's fine, no damage, not even from a tsunami. PTL
Have a marvelous Sunday!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #572
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Hey everyone!

Yay Debbie, under goal, what a victory!!! Sorry to hear about your ankle though, I have helped stack wood and it can be heavy and dangerous.

Had a great time last night with the 2 TX DD's. We ate at the seafood buffet and then went to the concert, played about 30 minutes on the slot machines and came home. Had king crab at the buffet, it was sooo good.

No cramps last night. Came home and had really salty cup of chicken broth, then took an extra magnesium and extra .99 postassium before bed. Will continue that daily and see how it goes. My legs are so sore from the last few nights cramping. I feel like cooking today, so will see what I end up with.

I think Hawaii is bracing for the tsunami from that earthquake, need to turn on the news, and then Sandy is headed for the east coast.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #573
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Cheyenne was a stopping point for dd and her dh on their way to Park City, UT for Beth's 3 month job at the Sundance Film Festival. Lots of driving..Glad her dh was with her.. He will fly back Tuesday to KC and work.

Debbie: Good for you...under goal is always a "safe place to be" in case of emergencies..LOL..Ouchie on your ankle..Gosh, they are so sensitive.

I hate leg cramps, Bufffy, but I love king crab legs..I might get some frozen ones to eat this week while Gary is gone..(New Orleans).

Hi to everyone.....

Old 10-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #574
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Carolyn, love the King Crab, these were from frozen I am sure.

Glad Beth and Shawn's drive is going well. How exciting an opportunity for her.

I am totally being a slug bug today, loving every lazy second of it too. These rare days come too seldom and go by too quickly.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #575

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I had a terrible night last night. I feel like I was awake more than I was asleep! And I had terrible nightmares all night long!! I have no idea why. But I feel ok, believe it or not. After church we went on a nice long walk through the park and admired all the trees and just soaked up this beautiful day. Then we cleaned up around the yard some. Now we're about to have pork carnitas for dinner. Yum!!! We found a new Mexican market/grocery that sells cooked food too. They gave us a free sample and then we bought 2 pounds! And fresh pico de gallo to go with them. Along with some fresh avocado for a side. Then there'll be plenty to have for lunches this week too.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #576
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Good morning!
I'm down .25 under goal today
Yesterday enjoyed helping fill the wood-room with hubby... but got hit by a big log that bounced across the room & hit my ankle. Its fine PTL! A bit swollen & sore, but it scared me I need to exercise!! Was still able to, whew!
My handy man stayed inside & did lots of things for me that needed doing for a while, what a great day! Then they had a 7.7 magnitude earthquake locally... felt in our town (but not by us). Everyone's fine, no damage, not even from a tsunami. PTL
Have a marvelous Sunday!
MY GOODNESS you've got a lot in that one post!
Yes, congrats for being under goal!!!! Fantastic!

And so sorry about your ankle, but if you think it's fine or going to be fine, also hooray!

I am stunned by a 7.7 earthquake. That's very large. I hope everyone's OK.

Carolyn I figured Cheyenne was a stopping point - just didn't know how much time they could look around a little. Just having a safe trip is the best part, I imagine.

Buffy congrats on no leg cramps last night. I ate a few salty olives with my big salad at lunch, thinking that might help. We went to Jason's Deli and had their delicious salad bar.

Hope the rest of Sunday is good for everyone.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #577

Akkk..I hate nightmares..So sorry for you, Sandy.. Yum on the pork carnitas..
You probably will sleep better tonight because of the sunshine today shining on you as you walked. I have heard that sun exposure during the day and darkness at night helps us sleep..

Slug bug is a nice way to be..
Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #578
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I have heard that sun exposure during the day and darkness at night helps us sleep..
I've heard that also.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #579

The carnitas were wonderful!! We'll def get those again!!

I've been talking to DH about the NK way of eating and I think he might be thinking about trying it. Now I need to go find all those calculators and help him figure out his numbers. He only needs to lose about 6-8 more pounds but those have been very difficult to dislodge. So we'll see how he does. And that'll help me get more into it too, hopefully.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #580
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandy this might be it:

From Rebecca Latham:
"Well, I'll tell you how I got to my grams of protein, and then you can decide if it is a system you want to use or not.

The first thing I did was to figure out my ideal weight based on my height. I used Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's method(google)for figuring out my ideal weight. The basic premise is this: First, you figure out how many grams of protein you should be eating based on Dr. Kwasniewski's formula. Then you use these ratios to figure out how many grams of fat and grams of carbs you should be eating: For every gram of protein you eat, you should be laso eating 2.5 to 3.5 grams of fat and 0.5 grams of carbs.

PROTEIN : FAT : CARBS
1 : 2.5 - 3.5 : 0.5

I'll use myself as an example and show you how I came up with my numbers. I am 5'3" tall, which is the same as 160 cm. To arrive at my "due body weight", I subtract 100 cm from my 160 cm, and I get 60 cm. The number 60 is now the amount of kilograms I should weigh. I decided a while back that I wanted to weigh 132 pounds with 25% body fat. And guess what! My goal weight of 132 pounds equals 60 kg, which is exactly what Dr. Kwasniewski's says I should weigh! Interesting...

He says that you should eat that same number of grams of protein each day, give or take 10%. I tried it with adding 10%, making my grams of protein 66, but I did not lose weight doing that, so now I am trying it the other way - 60g of protein minus 10%, which is 54. I am now eating 54 grams of protein per day.

Another method is to use Phinney and Volek's calculator - eat 0.6 to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of goal lean body mass. Using me again as an example, with a goal weight of 132 and a desired body fat percentage of 25, I would be 99 pounds of lean mass and 33 pounds of body fat. So I should eat between 59 and 99 grams of protein per day. As I mentioned before, eating more protein did not work for me, so I am staying at the low end.

Just for fun, I also looked up the RDA for protein for a woman. Interestingly, they do not go by height and the RDA for a woman is 46 grams of protein per day. Keep in mind that the RDA is based on the amount you need to avoid disease, not for optimal health. I think that number is pretty low, especially for a taller woman.

The chart in the new Atkins book says a woman my height should eat between 71 and 149g of protein per day. That's a pretty large range, and I can't imagine that 149g of protein per day for a little woman like me would be the right thing to do!

Summary:

54-66g - Kwasniewski
59-99g - Phinney/Volek
46g - RDA
71-149g - Atkins

I chose the first one, because I've tried eating more, and I did not lose weight. Going on the premise that I may have been eating too much protein, I'm trying the lower end."
Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #581

Yes, I think that's it. Thanks Judy! Do you happen to know what a good goal for a man's body fat percentage would be? I know 25% seems to be the average goal most women are striving for but I think men have a naturally lower body fat percentage?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #582
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Thanks girls,
Yes, its good to break under that number. Took 3 weeks to lose .25 lbs. But then again, I'm trying to add more vegge's to my diet every day, so its pretty cool.
We had an aftershock today, during church. It made the overhead sway, so the projection moved on the screen. But we couldn't feel it. Amazingly no-one was hurt. But the center of the quake was 100 miles off-shore, so that's why, and for that everyone is most grateful!
Men's body fat 18-24% for average 14-17% for fitness.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #583

Debby: Yikes..Last year we had a small earthquake or two in KS..It came from OK..A bit scary.

I like that chart of protein amounts..My LC dr. gave me the Atkins one, but I stay in the low end..
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debby & Carolyn - thanks for answering our Sandy!
Sandy: I have no idea!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #585
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey gang.
Sandy, that is great that DH is getting on board with NK. Makes it so much easier.

The storm sounds like it is going to be a bad one.

Weight and measuring and posting day today. Looks like I have lost 2 lbs for the month, not bad for being able to eat an amazing diet. Lost more off my waist and thigh, only measure one thigh so heaven knows what that other one is doing, out on his own? Hope he is keeping up with his twin. I wish I were losing faster but I don't want to sacrifice to do it, so, for now, am very happy with the way it is going. Both DD's doing NK are doing well too.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #586
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy you always state it so beautifully.

It was thrilling to lose quickly at first, but the reason this is a way of eating instead of a diet is that I could not live my life constantly sacrificing. So small weight losses are embraced and we are happy and feel great every day.
Thank you!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #587
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Would one of you enlighten me on what NK is. I feel so stupid as I feel I should know what that means.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nutritional Ketosis - it's kind of become the new buzzword for the way we have been eating here - eat fat get thin.
There's a thread here at LC Friends http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post16044941
Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #589
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Judy. My biggest problem right now is that there are sooo many things I want to make, so many good sounding recipes, but how to fit all that in to the daily allotment? Wish DH would eat some of this stuff, so that I could experiment more. He will hardly try anything, memories of me trying to make food taste good using LF, . I try to tell him that this is good stuff, but he just turns his nose up. Not very good at trying new things and he just basically wants some meat, maybe a potato and a dessert. And, he always wants beef, not fish or chicken. So, he doesn't eat much of what I fix.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #590
Big Yapper!!!!

Sharon, don't hesitate to ask. My kids make fun of this old grandma, using all the shorthand when texting, emailing, etc.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #591
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Could you share once again how to make fat bombs? I'm having trouble finding it today.

Thanks Buffy I feel like an ole lady today.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #592
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The first recipe is Rebecca Latham's. The second is from a woman who is on LC Friends called Wifezilla and now has a blog, too.

FAT BOMBS (Rebecca Latham)

These are the five ingredients for my Fat Bombs, which you stir together well:

3/4 cup melted coconut oil
9.5 Tbs. (150g) almond butter
60 drops (about 3/8 tsp.) liquid Stevia
3 Tbs. cocoa
8 Tbs. (1 stick) melted salted butter

Pour a scant 2 Tbs. into each of 24 candy or mini muffin molds. I use a silicone candy mold that I bought at Michael's Crafts. If you prefer, you can use those little paper mini muffin cups, lined up on a cookie sheet.

I place my candy mold on a small cookie sheet first, and then fill it, then put it in the freezer. If you try to put it in the freezer without first putting it on a cookie sheet, you'll be sorry.

Freeze for at least 30 minutes, then pop out the Fat Bombs and store them in a bag or other container in the freezer. You can keep them in the fridge, but as soon as you hold one with your hot little fingers, it will melt really fast. Frozen, it melts slower.

Nutritional info for one Fat Bomb:
141 calories
14.22g fat (90.9%)
1.53g protein (4.3%)
1.67g carbs (4.8%)
Posted by Rebecca Latham at 8:24 PM
- - - - -

Abi Fae's Fat Bombs (wifezilla)

• 8 oz unsweetened almond butter (or natural sugar-free peanut butter or other nut butter)
• 8 oz raw coconut butter (Artisana brand is excellent) OR virgin coconut oil
• 1 stick butter
• 2 Tbsp butter
• 1 bar of 85% cocoa chocolate (Black and Greens, Dagoba, Lindt, etc...) or high cocoa chocolate chips
• Sweetener of choice to taste (I use a small amount of eryritol, but you can also use Splenda or raw, local honey if you are not super carb sensitive. Abi does not use any sweetener in hers.)

Optional add-ins
Roasted nuts
Dried unsweetened fruit like cherries or cranberries
Cocoa nibs
Unsweetened coconut flakes

In a microwave-safe bowl, soften the stick of butter, the coconut butter and the almond butter for 1-3 minutes until they are easy to stir together. Once the butters are blended, add in any extras making sure there is still enough butter blend to coat all the goodies. Taste and add sweetener if desired make sure to stir well.

The butter mix then needs to be put in some kind of form to cool. Silicone muffin cups, baking pan, chocolate molds, etc... just make sure it is flexible so you can get the fat bombs OUT of the molds. Melt the chocolate bar in the microwave in a glass dish and add the 2 tablespoons of butter to make it smooth and creamy. Dip your chilled fat bombs in to the chocolate and allow to cool on a piece of wax paper or a silicone sheet. You can also drizzle the melted chocolate over each fat bomb. Store in the refrigerator.

Because of the low melt point of the butter and coconut butter, these need to be kept cold once finished. If you plan on sticking these in a lunch box to eat later, simply put your fat bombs in small jelly canning jars and add a few low-sugar, high-cocoa chocolate chips instead of using chocolate molds and coating with melted chocolate. The thing I like about using the chocolate chips is the label shows how many carbs per chip so you can easily decide how carby or carb-free you want to make each jar full.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #593

Hi gals..

Need to makes some more peanut butter fat bombs..They are great.. Wifezilla (Linda) used to post here..We love her and miss her, but she is busy with her ducks and her business...

Got my metformin 500 ER..Hopefully, it won't upset my tender tummy..I'm going to take it with dinner..Gosh, for one month supply it was $5.00..cheap..

I was a little lower this morning, but won't claim it until tomorrow..You know how that goes..

I need to watch that storm, too..Dh is in New Orleans, but it is not going to hit there for once..
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #594
Big Yapper!!!!

Sharon, the first recipe in Judy's thread is the one I use all the time, haven't tried the 2nd one, have you Judy? I have a bar of the Black and Green 85% cocoa that I am nibbling on now, a nibble or two a day, keeps the sweet tooth at bay.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #595
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy, Abi Fae's Fat Bombs from Wifezilla are the ones I made first and love actually more than Rebecca's. But looking it over it has no coconut oil.

But full confession: I used a poor version of almond butter in Rebecca's Fat Bombs and I used a delicious natural peanut butter in Wifezilla's. Wifezilla's were more chocolate to me, too.

It was so long ago and now I have Carolyn's easy chocolate bark in the fridge. Those fat bombs/candies are so satisfying to me I don't crave them, and I often forget about them!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #596
Big Yapper!!!!

Abi's fat bombs have coconut butter, or says you can use oil. I will give that one a try next. I have a bar of the Lindt 85% in the drawer and a jar of the Artisans Coconut butter.

I am like you, don't crave them but they are very satisfying.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #597
Big Yapper!!!!

Carolyn, yes, the metformin is very cheap. So, are you starting out with one 500ER per day? I think you will really find it helps with appetite and weight loss. And yay, you are down one lb!!!

That storm looks like it will just cause so many people so much hardship, and a massive clean up. Kind of glad I still don't work at FEMA, it would be tons of overtime, which when I did and had the energy, loved those paychecks, but I just can't do it anymore. Very stressful and energy spending.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #598
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks again ladies. I now have it cataloged in my recipes. Going to search for the higher percentage of dark chocolate when I''m out.

Last edited by Shalbrihil; 10-29-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #599
Big Yapper!!!!

The Black and Green is very good Sharon.

I have yet to find a way to organize my LC recipes, I just keep printing off more and more and more to try, so many sound so good. I do try, once I make something I really like, to put it on a recipe card but my file folder to try is getting fat on all those LC recipes
Old 10-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #600
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
The Black and Green is very good Sharon.

I have yet to find a way to organize my LC recipes, I just keep printing off more and more and more to try, so many sound so good. I do try, once I make something I really like, to put it on a recipe card but my file folder to try is getting fat on all those LC recipes
OH MY GOSH!!!!
STOP DESCRIBING ME!!!!
Closed Thread