Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I would love to get this handled before I am miserable - because I'm not miserable, I just see it coming...

We have a compounding pharmacy here in town who has suggested a couple of docs they work with. My mother and my sister are both on synthroid and are happy with it.

Now that I said that, my cute smart 84-yr-old mother has been tired lately... my sister's TSH went from 2.4 to 8 or something awful. Their docs prescribe ONLY synthroid...

It's a start, I guess, unless something else is really wrong, right?
I'll find a doc and make an appointment.
Thank you - all of you!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
My little thyroid panel came back (Wow Debby I see what you mean - no copying and pasting here!):
Test Description
TSH--- Result 4.43----- Range 0.450-4.500----- Units uIU/mL

Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum----- Result 2.6------ Range 2.0-4.4----- Units pg/mL

T4,Free(Direct)----- Result 0.82 ------ Range 0.82-1.77 ------ Units ng/dL

Then some different website analysis:

High TSH, LowT4, Low or normal T3 = Hypothyroidism <-- this one
However, I only had measured my TSH, FT3 and FT4
- -
So although my TSH is not out of range, it seems at the high end of the range, while FT4 and FT3 seem at the very low end of the range.
- - -

Rebecca Latham's blog has a doctor analyzing some thyroid results saying he liked to see TSH at 1.8, likes FT4 at 2 and he would have measured other things (Thyroxine [T4?], T3 uptake, T4)

Any thoughts?
Or should I run screaming over to the thyroid boards??

And see Debby? I knew you were tiny - Size 4 jeans! Yahoo!!
Quote:
No I'm not on meds. My mother and sister are both hypothyroid and I just figured it was a matter of time.

My pulse seems high and I had a few weeks of trouble sleeping, but honestly I'm never tired, have trouble falling asleep, but since menopause can stay asleep now.

When I started low carb June 4, my bp went down but not my pulse; my hair quit falling out - but I also notice all of a sudden my skin is dry and my hair is dry (my scalp).

I don't know. I'm not really uncomfortable - not suffering or anything.
I think I could find a doc here who actually would treat with a small dose of synthroid.

Now I kind of want to test my adrenals... ah, the power of being able to order our own tests! (and the lack of my knowledge of what to do with them! )

Thanks Cindy & Buffy!
Oh Judy! Have you read up on stopthethyroidmadness ? You can get lots of answers on their site (google it).
Almost everyone I've talked to online did terrible on Synthroid, myself included. I am doing much better on natural thyroid. the synthroid put me into the hyper state, and that can burn out your thyroid & cause permanent damage.
Without getting your adrenals treated, the thyroid meds won't do anything also... but the tests will show you as having too much TSH, though its not getting anywhere. I'd really recommend the natural product over synthetic. Armour is the US product, I think.
Your TSH looks high, closer to 1.0 is where symptoms disappear.
You feel pretty good now, but check out that site, you may find symptoms that you didn't know were related to thyroid there.
I had no idea that my joint pain & carpel tunnel was caused by low thyroid!
Good that you're getting all the tests. That site gives helps for finding a good Dr. & how to talk to them also.
Blessings,
Debby

Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Oh Judy! Have you read up on stopthethyroidmadness ? You can get lots of answers on their site (google it).
Almost everyone I've talked to online did terrible on Synthroid, myself included. I am doing much better on natural thyroid. the synthroid put me into the hyper state, and that can burn out your thyroid & cause permanent damage.
Without getting your adrenals treated, the thyroid meds won't do anything also... but the tests will show you as having too much TSH, though its not getting anywhere. I'd really recommend the natural product over synthetic. Armour is the US product, I think.
Your TSH looks high, closer to 1.0 is where symptoms disappear.
You feel pretty good now, but check out that site, you may find symptoms that you didn't know were related to thyroid there.
I had no idea that my joint pain & carpel tunnel was caused by low thyroid!
Good that you're getting all the tests. That site gives helps for finding a good Dr. & how to talk to them also.
Blessings,
Debby
That site is actually I how found out I could get these tests myself, and also how I found out we have a couple of good compounding pharmacies here.

I absolutely will find a doctor who will prescribe a natural product - if I'm starting somewhere that sounds better to me.

I just want something for this pounding heart - it's really worrisome to me.
I am very glad I started eating lc and have lost 20 pounds. At least I won't have to hang my head in shame over that. I've seen others with hypothyroid describe a heavy, pounding heart - that's what I'm experiencing the most. Also hair loss, dry skin. Can other symptoms come & go - that makes sense, too. The hair loss & dry skin are constant, but the sleeplessness comes & goes.

Also - I wonder if that's why I haven't lost weight in a month even though I'm diligently tracking every bite and never go over 1300 calories for sure, often struggle to get to 1200 calories.

Again - THANK YOU so much!

Last edited by JMCM1; 10-02-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That site is actually I how found out I could get these tests myself, and also how I found out we have a couple of good compounding pharmacies here.

I absolutely will find a doctor who will prescribe a natural product - if I'm starting somewhere that sounds better to me.

I just want something for this pounding heart - it's really worrisome to me.
I am very glad I started eating lc and have lost 20 pounds. At least I won't have to hang my head in shame over that. I've seen others with hypothyroid describe a heavy, pounding heart - that's what I'm experiencing the most. Also hair loss, dry skin. Can other symptoms come & go - that makes sense, too. The hair loss & dry skin are constant, but the sleeplessness comes & goes.

Also - I wonder if that's why I haven't lost weight in a month even though I'm diligently tracking every bite and never go over 1300 calories for sure, often struggle to get to 1200 calories.

Again - THANK YOU so much!
Heart palpitations? If so, yep! I had them too, I take hawthorn (health food supplement) It really works. But I think that's one of the symptoms.
Not being able to lose wt. is definitely a symptom. Unfortunately even after you get meds regulated, its always harder to lose wt. no room for "days off"... notta
I'm glad you're going the natural route... I have heard horror stories...
Blessings,
Debby
Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Heart palpitations? If so, yep! I had them too, I take hawthorn (health food supplement) It really works. But I think that's one of the symptoms.
Not being able to lose wt. is definitely a symptom. Unfortunately even after you get meds regulated, its always harder to lose wt. no room for "days off"... notta
I'm glad you're going the natural route... I have heard horror stories...
Blessings,
Debby
I'm actually relieved to see heart palpitations so frequently listed as a symptom!
I take Hawthorn too.
I am a little worried - I took iodoral for a few months but decided to stop taking it a couple of weeks ago and just go get my thyroid tests!
Hope I didn't mess anything up.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #36
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Now I kind of want to test my adrenals... ah, the power of being able to order our own tests! (and the lack of my knowledge of what to do with them! )

Thanks Cindy & Buffy!
I like Healthcheckusa.com.

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 10-02-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cindy - (I love Whistler! - we were there before the Olympics and before it was snowy - all the leaves were yellow) I used healthcheckUSA for my thyroid and was able to choose which test thanks to you!

I have just gotten off the phone to make an appointment with a local doctor specifically for this reading and diagnosis. It would not surprise me if she ordered further tests - which is OK with me. I have been successfully under-doctored until lately. I wouldn't mind some tests to see where I am.

We have a community of MDs and DOs and DCs here who look more kindly toward symptoms than a lot of the doctors I've heard. Not too crazy alternative, they are still professionals, just seem to be more honed-in on more current ranges and treatments.

I sure have a lot to say for someone who only has an appointment tomorrow! HA!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm actually relieved to see heart palpitations so frequently listed as a symptom!
I take Hawthorn too.
I am a little worried - I took iodoral for a few months but decided to stop taking it a couple of weeks ago and just go get my thyroid tests!
Hope I didn't mess anything up.
I looked that up... iodine! I hope it didn't hurt you too. Scarey stuff, Iodine. But if its very low dose, its probably ok.
My naturopath want me to get a cardiogram? But I haven't asked the Dr. for one, since the palpitations stopped. He was never concerned about them.
Quote:
Hi Cindy - (I love Whistler! - we were there before the Olympics and before it was snowy - all the leaves were yellow) I used healthcheckUSA for my thyroid and was able to choose which test thanks to you!

I have just gotten off the phone to make an appointment with a local doctor specifically for this reading and diagnosis. It would not surprise me if she ordered further tests - which is OK with me. I have been successfully under-doctored until lately. I wouldn't mind some tests to see where I am.

We have a community of MDs and DOs and DCs here who look more kindly toward symptoms than a lot of the doctors I've heard. Not too crazy alternative, they are still professionals, just seem to be more honed-in on more current ranges and treatments.

I sure have a lot to say for someone who only has an appointment tomorrow! HA!
I can sure relate to that... I get so excited about all my appointments too. Its actually a real boost to be getting actual, educated help. I've always been a do it yourself - natural cures person... So its really great to have someone more knowledgeable pointing you in the right direction... especially since it was all new to me in May!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

My doctor told me to take Iodoral for energy. I only take one pill a day and I'm not sure it helps my energy...She says it helps the thyroid, too..

Judy: Your appointment is tomorrow? Good luck..

For my meds, I take 3 grains of Natur-throid I get from the compounding pharma. My
"numbers" have been right on with that amount.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Carolyn.
I'm sorry to say I'll let you know - in excruciating detail...
Old 10-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #41

Yes, Judy, the more details, the better. Praying your doctor will be a good one.

From my thyroid experience, I started out with Synthroid and it was fine, then I got
my blood tested and went to another doctor to get the natural stuff with T4/T3. My dd's
endo recommended Synthroid (T4) and Cytomel (T3), which is still a good way to do this.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks, Carolyn.
I'm sorry to say I'll let you know - in excruciating detail...
Love it! Looking forward to it too.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
So no egg?
Because if so - that lowers the protein to a MUCH more acceptable amount!
Yes, and no cooking either. Try it, I like it even better than the cooked version. And, instead of chocolate you could add different flavors, like lemon, etc.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Ok Judy, your chocolate recipe has evolved at my house to just this. 2 oz cream cheese, 2 T sour cream, 1 really heaping T of cocoa, 1/2 t vanilla and sweetezz and or swerve to taste. Just mix up good and keep in fridge. Yummo. Tonight, I am going to fix a bigger batch using 8 oz of CC and put into 4 little bowls to have it ready.
So does this make a pudding like food? I love pudding and could easily eat it as a small meal. I may have to stop at the store and get some cream cheese since I'm currently out.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Jess, like a piece of really creamy soft cheesecake, in a bowl. And I did have this as lunch yesterday. I am thinking towards making some kind of nut crust in little bowls/plates, etc., then putting some of this on and when serving, top with whipped cream! Or, just like I have been, eating it right out of the bowl

Need to look through my new cookbooks to see if I can find a nutty crust.

BTW Judy, just noticed you have your beautiful smiling face back on your profile, thumbs up!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok gal pals, I really have to update my picture, that one is a good one of me but old and I am not trying to mislead people on my age. But, it has been so long that I forgot the program I used to upload it to, then resize, and make it so it will show up here. Anyone who can point me in the right direction gets 1 free fatbomb to eat whenever they wish today.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #47

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
you can upload your picture to an online photo album site like Photobucket and they have functions that resize your photos as you wish. with percentages or measurements.

Or if you have the accessories program PAINT on your computer you could use that to crop and resize pictures.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oooh, as a long-time lurker I am excited to see metqa in our little group!

Buffy I put my picture back in because I noticed I "felt" differently when I saw my posts without my big old face. And my picture is only 5 or 6 years old so I don't know what your hurry is about changing yours!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jess,

I found this - don't know if it would work for you.

Easy, Rich Chocolate Mousse (Sugar-Free)
(Healthy Indulgences - Lauren)

Makes 4 small servings

Ingredients:
1/4 cup brewed coffee
1/4 cup half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (3 1/2 squares of Baker’s Chocolate)
Sweetener options:
3 Tablespoons of Truvia + 4 packets of Splenda
OR
3 Tablespoons erythritol + 2 teaspoons xylitol + 1/8 teaspoon NuNaturals pure stevia
OR
10 teaspoons honey + 1/8 teaspoon pure NuNaturals pure stevia
2 eggs, preferably organic, room temperature
2 ounces of cream cheese**

Preparation:
Chop unsweetened chocolate very finely. Heat coffee and half and half in a glass cup in the microwave for about 50 seconds, or until it starts to bubble. Add heated coffee mixture, sweeteners, chopped chocolate, and vanilla to blender. Blend mixture for one minute or until chocolate is melted. Add eggs and cream cheese, and blend. Taste, and adjust sweetener if necessary. Pour from blender into serving glasses, and chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours to set the mousse. Serve mousse topped with sugar-free sweetened heavy cream, if desired. Garnish with grated 70% chocolate, a sprig of mint, or a few raspberries.

**If you'd like to make this recipe dairy-free and paleolithic diet friendly, replace the half and half with coconut milk, and replace the cream cheese with 2 Tablespoons of coconut milk and 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil.

~4.7g net carbs, 229 calories per serving made with Truvia and Splenda
~5.65g net carbs, 234.5 calories made with erythritol, xylitol, and stevia
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Death by Dark Chocolate Pudding

Death by Dark Chocolate Pudding
Original Recipe by Hershey's Kitchens;
Adapted by Healthy Living How To
Serves: 8

Ingredients
• 1 Envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin
• 1/4 c. Cold Filtered Water
• 1/3 c. Boiling Water
• 3/4 c. Erythritol, powdered
• 1/2 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
• 2/3 c. Hershey's Special Dark 100% Cacao Powder
• 2 c. Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk (I would use the Hood Calorie Countdown)
• 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Directions
1. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small bowl, mix with spoon and let stand for 2 minutes.
2. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
3. Powder erythritol with stevia by simply processing in a coffee grinder until it resembles powdered sugar.
4. Combine powdered erythritol/stevia and cacao powder in large bowl, add coconut milk and vanilla
5. With electric mixer, beat on medium until well combined.
6. Pour in gelatin mixture and beat until well blended.
7. Spoon into eight dessert dishes and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
8. Garnish as desired.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Gals, have any of you, besides Carolyn - who I know has made this recipe, made the pumpkin fluff that is so popular with the WW people? It is made with pumpkin, sweetner, SF instant pudding mix and cool whip. DD would like to make it more LC friendly. She would of course replace the cool whip with real whipped cream but any ideas on what to replace the pudding mix, or what to stretch it further?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Holy moly, please post when you figure out what you're doing because (Jess cover your ears and eyes) I love all things pumpkin!

I have copied some recipes that use SF instant pudding and are low carb. It's just not carb free. I wonder if you could use half a package or similar?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #53

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #54

Hi gals..

Akk..just got home. Volunteering/exercising all day long..I'm tired..

Buffy..I do love that recipe with the pumpkin/cool whip, etc..Honestly, it does make a bunch so the carbs are spread out..

Then there is always the great classic called Jody's Pumpkin Bake on the Recipe Bulletin Board..It's always a big hit.

Judy: Are you home from the doctor yet???
Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jody's Pumpkin Bake

I had to google this - I have no luck finding recipes by searching lowcarbfriends.

This was actually from Linda Sue's site and she said she added vanilla.

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 eggs
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (see update)
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350º about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.

Makes 6 servings
Do not freeze

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
In all my years of lurking I've never seen this!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Judy: Are you home from the doctor yet???
I am home! I don't think my prescription will please you all, but I think she gave it grudgingly.
She appears to be an actual doctor, and not just someone I can ask to fill my prescription!

Actually, for age 54, I have few complaints. She listened to my history, my way of eating, my blood pressure was good. I weighed 2 pounds less than here at home (win!) and she asked why I thought I might be hypothyroid.

I showed her my tests and she said the same things you all said - high-ish TSH, low range FT3, low range FT4. She gave me a printout from her office agreeing with the fact that the TSH could be in range, but symptoms would dictate need for treatment, or indicate hypothyroid depending on T3 & T4, etc.

She asked my symptoms and I told her my main symptom was that my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. She worried that prescribing thyroid medication could worsen that. I have not slept well lately, dry skin, losing hair...

So she ordered a full battery of blood tests. She looked at my thyroid, felt with her fingers, and took out a tape measure. She thought it looked slightly enlarged so ordered an ultrasound of my thyroid.

Then I'm to wear a holter monitor for 24 hours and she gave me an RX for Synthroid 25 mcg for now. I have another appointment in 30 days for her further evaluation.

I liked her, she was not dismissive. And I think I'll go ahead and try the Synthroid and see what happens.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #58

I think that you have a great doctor. Glad you are getting an ultrasound of your thyroid because it could have a nodule that is causing some problems..(My dd had one and had it removed). Synthroid is T4 and it is T3 that might cause the palps..Of course, in a healthy thyroid, T4 is converted to T3. I would try it and if the palps get worse, then stop it..

Judy: Do you drink caffeinated drinks??? Could that be the cause of the heart palps??

Last edited by CarolynF; 10-03-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh thank you - I asked whether it would be weeks before I might feel better (not that I'm miserable - I would love to not get all the way to miserable, thanks) and she thought it might happen soon enough for our meeting in a month.

In any case, I could see how Synthroid and I get along.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Judy: Do you drink caffeinated drinks??? Could that be the cause of the heart palps??
I drink about a cup and-a-half of coffee in the morning. The rest of the day is water, sometimes flavored, or decaffeinated teas/herbal teas through into the evening.

A couple of years ago I weaned myself off the coffee but did not have relief from the heart palps.

Please please please let me keep my cup and-a-half of coffee...

I forgot to add - she also ordered a bone density scan. Both mother and sister have osteopena <--? sp?
Closed Thread