Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #541
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Jennifer Eloff's website - search her "Jiffy Bun". That's what I made 2 days ago with her bake mix for a grilled cheese sandwich. VERY good.
Do you know if this is in one of the LCF's cookbooks? I have both. I can check it out either way.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #542
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, can't find the apricot Polaners here, went to 3 stores so far. But, netrition has it so I already have it in my cart for my next order.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Yes - the English Muffin uses the bake mix.

Also, I didn't have whatever kind of cheese she said, I had a bag of shredded mozzarella opened and that's what I used. I think that little bit of cheese really helps the consistency of that "English Muffin".
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #544
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, the Jiffy Bun is in the cookbooks.
Low Carbing Among Friends Vol 2 - Pg. 89.

Last edited by JMCM1; 10-26-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #545
Big Yapper!!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #546
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies...

Oh..Buffy..great news on your fat percentages..I have a Tanita, too..and it is consistent.
Sometimes if I am dehydrated the fat percentage will be higher..I have read the best
time to get an accurate number for fat is in the evening..

Yes, I have made that English Muffin..It is goooddd..

Well, at 3, I'm off to see the Low Carb Diet Doctor..with my labs. It will be interesting what she has to say and if she gives me some "guidance"..
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #547
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh Carolyn, can't wait for you to report back from your LC dr.

Glad to get the 2nd opinion on the muffin. Going to have that for dinner tonight if I have everything.

That's interesting on your scale reading higher when you are dehydrated, I swore mine read lowest then??? Like, if I am out running errands all day and not drinking my water, if I get on the scale I will get a low BF, then after rehydrating, it will go up. Mine does read lower in the evening but I record both my weight and BF each morning, so, I just go by that number. It is the downward trend, as always, that I am looking for.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #548
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, for the bake mix, did you use almond flour or almond meal?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #549
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used almond flour.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #550
Big Yapper!!!!

Good, I have that on hand.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi gals!
I worked on the "logger's books" all morning & got them done!!
I'm so happy! I tried to quit doing their books last year & they wouldn't let me! I've been struggling the last 2 years to find the time, and especially since I made exercise a daily commitment. Now all I have to do is take them in to the accountant. Phew!
I see you're all "cooking up a storm" the last few days.

Its snowing here... so cold! My hubby has been "hunting" all week for my moose meat.

I'm still feeling really good, but my temperature is not as high, so I've increased my thyroid & isocort again. Had to add calcium to my diet & extra magnesium last week, its going OK.

Shelby's a hand-full, has to taste & chew everything!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #552
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debby!

WHAT A GREAT FEELING it must be to finish those books. I finished working on a well I'd been struggling with for a couple of months. For this weekend, I hope to see some fall leaves and cook. Really looking forward to it.

How nice you can just increase your meds according to your symptoms.

That Shelby will be a handful for another year!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #553

Hi ladies..

Love this doctor..She is great and gave me lots of tips and reads a bunch of studies, etc..She says that most post meno women need metformin (small dose) to help with glucose intolerance. So, she ordered me 500 strength ER to take once a day. She said that cinnamon is a great help, too..LOTS of water needs to be drunk, and a couple cups of tea (counts as water). She recommended about 100 plus ounces, so I have to keep track.

My fat was 35 percent on the doctor's machine. At night on my Tanita it is about that, too..She said I did have a good amount of muscle, which was good..

Buffy: You might be right on the fat scale being lower when we are dehydrated, but I know that the a.m., my fat percentage is higher than at night.

BRRRR..We have a big 2 hour parade tomorrow....Getting my winter jacket/scarf/hat/gloves and maybe a blanket..

Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #554
Big Yapper!!!!

Yay Carolyn, can't wait for you to take on this challenge with the new doctor and to share all your new info with us.

Yes, my BF on my tanita is higher in the AM,but, I get up several times during the night and always have a big drink of water when I get up, so don't feel like I am dehydrated in the AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #555

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I'm interested in hearing all this info from your new Dr too Carolyn. She sounds like she's very knowledgeable which is a wonderful start compared to most Drs.

Buffy!! What in the world are you doing up at 3:30 AM??????? Yikes!

Judy, you're working on a WELL?? What kind of well?

Debby, stay warm in all that snow. Oh, and please keep it up there.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #556
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandy I am supplying all your energy needs for your home and car for the next several years! - oil wells in North Dakota. I do title work.

Ooooh Carolyn! I've read so many low carb people who want to beg their docs for metformin because it's so helpful. I took cinnamon for years before starting low carb and I have a lot left. I might as well add it to the mix!

When will I care about my body fat instead of ONLY my weight and how good I feel?
You all are really getting FIT and I am just starting. I give myself a pass for now.

I have had the 25mcg of synthroid for about 3 weeks and am JUST NOW having more trouble sleeping because of either being too hot or too cold - and waking up with a light sweat. SO attractive! I wake up a couple of times/night with being too hot, stay awake for an hour each time, then sleep until about 8AM if I let myself (like a Saturday).
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #557

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I've read that and heard Jonny Bowden mention that about the benefits of metformin even if you're not pre- or have diabetes. My worry would be having that script on your medical records that might red flag you if you were ever applying for any kind of new insurance?? I might just be paranoid, but I do know they look at EVERYTHING when you're applying for insurance. We just went through this the past few months when we bought some more life insurance.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #558
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I've read that and heard Jonny Bowden mention that about the benefits of metformin even if you're not pre- or have diabetes. My worry would be having that script on your medical records that might red flag you if you were ever applying for any kind of new insurance?? I might just be paranoid, but I do know they look at EVERYTHING when you're applying for insurance. We just went through this the past few months when we bought some more life insurance.
Same here. We buy our own insurance and I am sure I've been under-doctored for a few years just not wanting to get that diagnosis of anything.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sandy I am supplying all your energy needs for your home and car for the next several years! - oil wells in North Dakota. I do title work.

I have had the 25mcg of synthroid for about 3 weeks and am JUST NOW having more trouble sleeping because of either being too hot or too cold - and waking up with a light sweat. SO attractive! I wake up a couple of times/night with being too hot, stay awake for an hour each time, then sleep until about 8AM if I let myself (like a Saturday).
Ah~ I was wondering what working on a well meant!
Judy, those are the same symptoms I got on syntroid! Which means you should be on Armour or Natural Thyroid, because Synthroid is lacking the T3 that Armour has. If I were you, I'd make an appointment & demand that he/she change your prescription to Armour. There is a page on talking to your Dr. at the stopthethyroidmadness site that tells you what to say to get good treatment.
What you're describing is just the beginning. I drenched my bed & pj's all through the night - every night on that stuff. Was constantly ripping my clothes off in panic! The "heat" is unbearable.

Oh, sorry, but I can't keep the snow... sending it south!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #560
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll check out that page. My appointment with her is Nov. 5th. I am sure she gave me that amount of time to see how it goes for me.

Thank you.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #561
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh my, what a night. To bed late, then up off and on all night with terrible leg cramps. Then once I when I was lucky enough to get to sleep, the smoke alarm low battery started beeping. So, up to go get the little stepladder and take that down. Then drink some broth and eat some sea salt to try to stop the cramps. Yikes!

Judy, I was wondering about the well too, glad you filled us in.

Sandy, and Judy, I know what you mean about self-insurance, I also went years without going to the Dr. or if I did, not turning things into insurance for fear of raising red flags. But, yes, metformin often helps people who are insulin resistant.

Good luck to those trying to figure out the thyroid, it is a tough one. And, are the night sweats that or going through the change?

We don't need any snow here but I am enjoying this little snap of really chilly fall weather we are having. Wish it would stay like this but it will warm back up soon.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #562
Big Yapper!!!!

My english muffin turned out exactly as it should, except, don't use provolone cheese . I had that and cheddar, used the prov and it was too strong, not a good mix. But, it did hold butter and jam really well. Will try again with the monterey jack.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will run the numbers on this later, but you can eyeball and see it's fine with our woe.
And the taste is FINE!!! It's from a web page called "A Baker's Weight Loss Journey".

I omitted flax entirely - used the 1/4 cup almond flour plus NO flax. Texture divine.
I put it in my 4-1/2" diameter personal baker (bigger than my personal ramekin) and it puffed up beautifully and made a huge muffin. I put delicious butter on part, and delicious melted cream cheese with vanilla DaVinci added to it.
By the time I was nearing the end of the muffin, I decided I liked the taste so much I didn't need much topping of anything. I do like my sweet breads sweet, though, so I sprinkled on a tiny portion of Splenda.

I couldn't stop thinking of you all while I was eating it.
Jess, I could not tell there was pumpkin in this. I might still add it next time, but the spices are so bold I could not taste pumpkin, so I'm sure it's fine to omit.

I'm so new to low-carbing, this might be old to all of you.

Anyway, here 'tis:

Gingerbread 1 Minute Muffin

1/4 cup almond flour
2 Tbsp. pumpkin (may omit)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 - 2 packets Splenda (1 used 2 packets W-M brand Truvia; few drops liquid Stevia)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

MAKE IT

SPRAY a small ramekin with cooking spray
IN MEDIUM BOWL, whisk together first 6 ingredients
IN SEPARATE BOWL, whisk together butter and egg ensuring they are completely combined
STIR wet ingredients into dry ingredients blending well
SPOON batter into ramekin
MICROWAVE for 1 minute, HIGH power (I cooked 1 minute 15 seconds)
REMOVE from ramekin and enjoy !

You can also change up the recipe even more for a different consistency by replacing the 1/4 cup flax seed meal with 1/4 cup of almond flour. Then add 2 tablespoons flax seed meal along with the other dry ingredients.

- - - -
MasterCook says:
361 calories
31g fat
12g carbs (!)
6g fiber (whew)
13g protein

Last edited by JMCM1; 10-27-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #564
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Oh my, what a night. To bed late, then up off and on all night with terrible leg cramps. Then once I when I was lucky enough to get to sleep, the smoke alarm low battery started beeping. So, up to go get the little stepladder and take that down. Then drink some broth and eat some sea salt to try to stop the cramps. Yikes!

Good luck to those trying to figure out the thyroid, it is a tough one. And, are the night sweats that or going through the change?
Very sorry about those leg cramps. I still have them if I'm not careful about stretching my legs before walking.
I'm going to change to that new magnesium soon, too. Will report back on that.

MOST ASSUREDLY going through the change. My symptoms had been mild to non-existent until middle of this last week. Not sure what to blame it on, but I'm sure going to blame it on something!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #565

Hi ladies..

Great question on the metformin..Dr. explained that she uses code 277.7 which is dysmetabolic syndrome. I think it means a person is overweight and has a hard time losing weight..This is so "diabetes" doesn't go on your schedule..Plus, she says metformin is extremely cheap..so a person could self-pay..I'll pick mine up on Monday..

Honestly, the "Dr." was chatting me about her plan, her exercise plans, etc..I think it was because we are close to the same age and I am probably one of her patients that
actually "gets" it. I got out of there about 5:45 and went in at 3:00..She said that you could count tea from tea leaves as "water", too..She doesn't get all "concerned" about
Splenda, either..

Buffy: Sorry about your cramps...Do you take 4 (99) potassiums every day? That helps me so much..

Judy: That looks like a good recipe, but I agree with you..Too much spice for a small amount of almond flour..

Well, Beth and Shawn are driving to Cheyenne, WY tonight, then on to Park City, UT tomorrow..She is excited about her new opportunity..and the University is still paying her salary/insurance for the 3 months cuz they call it "enrichment"..which is a great deal for her..
Old 10-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #566

This is my favorite dessert when I'm in a pinch..

Three Minute Flourless Chocolate Cake

I was playing around with the 3 minute cake and decided to leave out the almond flour/flax, etc..It turned out pretty good:

1 egg, beaten well
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. heavy cream or half/half or CC milk
2 Tbs. cocoa
10 tsp. of sweetener of your choice (this time I added 5 packets of Splenda)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. softened butter

In a small bowl, beat egg with fork and add in the rest of the ingredients until
a smooth batter is formed.

Pour into a cup which will hold 8 ounces. You could use a coffee mug..I Pammed it..Microwave for one minute..

The carb count would depend on the sweetener. You could use Davinici syrup..I don't think it would affect the texture of the cake..But, without the sweetener, you would have .7 carb for the egg and 2 NET carbs for the cocoa powder..About 3 net carbs in all..then add the sweetener carbs.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #567
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
This is my favorite dessert when I'm in a pinch..

Three Minute Flourless Chocolate Cake

I was playing around with the 3 minute cake and decided to leave out the almond flour/flax, etc..It turned out pretty good:

1 egg, beaten well
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. heavy cream or half/half or CC milk
2 Tbs. cocoa
10 tsp. of sweetener of your choice (this time I added 5 packets of Splenda)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. softened butter

In a small bowl, beat egg with fork and add in the rest of the ingredients until
a smooth batter is formed.

Pour into a cup which will hold 8 ounces. You could use a coffee mug..I Pammed it..Microwave for one minute..

The carb count would depend on the sweetener. You could use Davinici syrup..I don't think it would affect the texture of the cake..But, without the sweetener, you would have .7 carb for the egg and 2 NET carbs for the cocoa powder..About 3 net carbs in all..then add the sweetener carbs.
I love this idea! I'll bet you 63 cents I try this tonight!
Thank you!

I hope your dd likes Cheyenne - we were there for about a year and just loved it. I know they're only spending the night or so, but it's a neat town, full of nice people and a few fantastic local restaurants, actually, depending upon their way of eating.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #568
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi ladies..

Great question on the metformin..Dr. explained that she uses code 277.7 which is dysmetabolic syndrome. I think it means a person is overweight and has a hard time losing weight..This is so "diabetes" doesn't go on your schedule..Plus, she says metformin is extremely cheap..so a person could self-pay..I'll pick mine up on Monday..

Honestly, the "Dr." was chatting me about her plan, her exercise plans, etc..I think it was because we are close to the same age and I am probably one of her patients that
actually "gets" it. I got out of there about 5:45 and went in at 3:00..She said that you could count tea from tea leaves as "water", too..She doesn't get all "concerned" about
Splenda, either..

Buffy: Sorry about your cramps...Do you take 4 (99) potassiums every day? That helps me so much..

Judy: That looks like a good recipe, but I agree with you..Too much spice for a small amount of almond flour..

Well, Beth and Shawn are driving to Cheyenne, WY tonight, then on to Park City, UT tomorrow..She is excited about her new opportunity..and the University is still paying her salary/insurance for the 3 months cuz they call it "enrichment"..which is a great deal for her..
Carolyn did you already suspect dysmetabolic syndrome?
Because you know if I start looking it up I'll decide it certainly applies to me!

I have lost 2 pounds this last week. I think it's been 2 months since I've lost any weight - decided it was thyroid.

*whisper* I thought the spices were very good in that gingerbread muffin, but I like my spices probably bolder than the next fella.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #569
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Very sorry about those leg cramps. I still have them if I'm not careful about stretching my legs before walking.
I'm going to change to that new magnesium soon, too. Will report back on that.

MOST ASSUREDLY going through the change. My symptoms had been mild to non-existent until middle of this last week. Not sure what to blame it on, but I'm sure going to blame it on something!
That's got to be the thyroid meds. I got the same result from synthroid, and I'm passed the meno stuff. And that's what everybody said to me too & it magically went away when I quit synthroid... one thing that makes it "distinct" is, with hot flashes you don't get "freezing cold" next (at least I don't think they do). Back & forth is the synthroid, especially since it suddenly appeared now & not before taking it.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I definitely got freezing cold after.
Closed Thread