Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marshmallow
Few questions from a NOOB

Hi everyone. I'm 31 female and I am currently 137 pounds and I would like to be 115-120 (I'm very short with a small frame). I have PCOs, insulin issues and hypothroidism which have inhibited my weight loss.

I have tried Atkins few years ago but I couldn't last more than 2 weeks as it made me feel awful. But since then, my health has improved greatly so I'm ready to put in the effort to lose. I also tried paleo and ended up gaining weight albeit small.

I have a few questions:

1) Does this diet work?
2) Can I get my carbs mainly from fruit? I really dislike veggies. I'm totally willing to do even just one apple a day.
3) How fast can someone lose weight if they strictly adhere to the diet?
marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
A lot of fruit are higher in carb and therefore are not allowed on the Atkins (if that is the diet you are interested in) and most other lowcarb plans in the early stages of the diet.. After the first 2 weeks on Atkins (or some other programs) you may add a limited amount of berries and some melons such as cantalope and honey do melons. Apples are not part of a lowcarb plan. They are very carby. Veggies are pretty important on a Lowcarb diet so you can get in the nutrients and carbs you do need on the plan.

You don't have a lot of weight to lose so why not do a committed try and cut out the neccessary things you need too. Its not forever and it should not take you too long to lose the weight you want. I caution you however, if you go back to the way you were eating that made you gain the weight in the first place, you will put the weight back on. You must make the neccessary diet changes once you lose weight to help you keep it off.

Here is a link to the newbie area for you.. there is a link to compare various low carb plans.. plus a lot of information to help you make the choices you need too..

http://www.netrition.com/lowcarb_newbies_intro.html

I hope this helps.

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
A lot of fruit are higher in carb and therefore are not allowed on the Atkins (if that is the diet you are interested in) and most other lowcarb plans in the early stages of the diet.. After the first 2 weeks on Atkins (or some other programs) you may add a limited amount of berries and some melons such as cantalope and honey do melons. Apples are not part of a lowcarb plan. They are very carby. Veggies are pretty important on a Lowcarb diet so you can get in the nutrients and carbs you do need on the plan.

You don't have a lot of weight to lose so why not do a committed try and cut out the neccessary things you need too. Its not forever and it should not take you too long to lose the weight you want. I caution you however, if you go back to the way you were eating that made you gain the weight in the first place, you will put the weight back on. You must make the neccessary diet changes once you lose weight to help you keep it off.

Here is a link to the newbie area for you.. there is a link to compare various low carb plans.. plus a lot of information to help you make the choices you need too..

A Beginner's Guide To Low Carbing

I hope this helps.
Thanks so much for your help.

Since Atkins doesn't allow fruit in the induction, would this diet allow me to have (limited) carbs in fruit? Ideally I would love to be in ketosis but just don't know how to get myself there. Does it matter where the carbs are coming from as long as they are low?

I would cut the bad stuff but I really don't eat anything bad but I just can't lose the weight. I only eat fruits, nuts in moderation, meat, dairy, coffee & water. I don't consume any sugar either so weight loss thing is such a puzzle to me.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
You may actually have fruit malabsorption issues. Were you on a lot of antibiotics as a child?? If so, I'd look into it.

People with this condition will experience diarhea, bloat, and weight gain.

It might be that your fave thing is hurting you. My best friend loves fruit and has all the symptoms of fruit malabsorption but won't bother trying to quit.

PLEASE try a low carb diet and see if it helps!! If not atkins there are many options, and you can modify it and still eat a bit of fruit if you really need to.

What veggies do you like? Brocoli or cauliflower with some butter or cheese is a staple in my diet. I eat mushrooms and broc in an omelet. I also don't eat a lot of veggies but lettuce, broc and cauli are a staple and pretty easy to eat even if youre anti veggie
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
You may actually have fruit malabsorption issues. Were you on a lot of antibiotics as a child?? If so, I'd look into it.

People with this condition will experience diarhea, bloat, and weight gain.

It might be that your fave thing is hurting you. My best friend loves fruit and has all the symptoms of fruit malabsorption but won't bother trying to quit.

PLEASE try a low carb diet and see if it helps!! If not atkins there are many options, and you can modify it and still eat a bit of fruit if you really need to.

What veggies do you like? Brocoli or cauliflower with some butter or cheese is a staple in my diet. I eat mushrooms and broc in an omelet. I also don't eat a lot of veggies but lettuce, broc and cauli are a staple and pretty easy to eat even if youre anti veggie
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Hmmm....I never thought about malabsorption before but from the side effects I don't believe I have this issue.

I tried eating one apple as my only carb (33g) for the day and I didn't lose any weight so I have temporary given up fruit for now. It was kind of disheartening that even with such low carb amount I wasn't losing weight. Perhaps it was because the carbs were from a fruit?

I am sticking to a really low amount of carbs (less than 15 and usually around 10g) and so far I lost 3.5 lbs. which is a lot for me considering how hard it is for me to lose weight. I get my carbs mainly from nuts, eggs and heavy cream. I really don't like veggies even broccoli, cauliflower or mushrooms. I know this isn't really healthy for me but I figure that excess weight isn't either.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
It might be that you won't be able to eat any fruit, I am very sorry. I know it can be hard to give it up, sugar cravings are an addiction.

Name some veggies you can tolerate and maybe we can help with ideas to make them edible for you. Lettuce is easy because you just throw toppings on (egg,chicken,bacon,cheese,ranch) and there you are.

Just in case you would like to read a bit more about fructose malabsorption: Fructose malabsorption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote