Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
ejh
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ejh
Stats: 148/142/115
Gaining about 1lb a day :(

Hey everyone, this is my first time here.

I'm 21yrs old, 5ft 2in, and currently at 143.6lbs

I've been eating low carb/ high protein high fat for about 3 weeks now.
I was at 148 and got down to about 140, and now over the past few days I've been putting on about a pound every day (this morning I was 143.6) from what the scales been telling me.

I've been determining fat to eat by taking my body weight, dividing it by half, and eating that many grams of fat a day, with my carb intake being almost zero, and the rest being protein. My daily calorie intake doesn't exceed 1200.

I'm drinking nearly 2 liters of water every day as well. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong! And it's SO frustrating! Has anyone else had something like this happen? Is it normal?
I'm completely new to this and have friends who lost 40+ lbs in the span of 3 months and I just feel as though I'm going nowhere.

*Also, I am doing the ketostix thing, and I haven't left a ketosis state even once in these 3 weeks. I've been consistently showing between trace and moderate.

Last edited by ejh; 09-07-2012 at 06:22 AM..
ejh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you have been in ketosis and accurately measuring calories at that level, I would bet your gain is either water retention or consitpation. probably the day you weighed your lowest you were a bit dehydrated and had very little bowel contents, and since then you have gone the other way. you will make yourself crazy trying to figure out every little weight change. you can't do it. it just happens naturally.

I never consider a weight I see on the scale "mine" until I am sure I won't keep bobbing up above it for awhile.

just look at the trend over time. if you are stalled for a month, then you should think more about it. good luck.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hmmm...Yes, you could have been dehydrated and gaining water weight..

1200 calories...70 grams of fat X 9 calories puts you at 630 calories of fat and 570 calories worth of protein which is 80ish grams of protein...

Now, are you doing a ****** on this? and realizing that some of your protein has fat in it??
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
ejh
Junior LCF Member

Carolyn,

I'm sorry, but I don't think I know what a "******" is.
Could you please elaborate?

And with 80 grams of protein and 70 of fat, does that mean I need to decrease my protein intake?

I'm really starting this kinda of blind. I have just been avoiding all carbs except for some vegetables.

Last edited by ejh; 09-07-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Thinking it is TOM

Google fit day

Read the book

Last edited by Nelle Belle; 09-07-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejh View Post
I've been eating low carb/ high protein high fat
This isn't really a workable diet plan I think.

****** is a free site that has an excellent food log. I can't link to it directly because they do advertising there that competes with Low Carb Friends advertisers and the site rules ask that you not link to sites with direct ad competition.

Google it though and it should be your first hit:

https://www.google.com/search?q=******

The great thing about ******'s food log is that it shows percentages of your Carbs/Fat/Protein.

Most low carb plans run something like lowCarb/lowToModerateProtein/pluraltyOfCaloriesFromFat

So, something like Fat 60% / Protein 30% / Carbs 10%

'Eat Fat, Get Thin' - this subforum of Low Carb Friends, promotes percentages more like Fat 80% / Protein 15% / Carbs 5%

But there is a lot of variety under the banner of Low Carb. If you look at the list of forums here you'll see what I mean.

I had stunning success with Fat 85% / Protein 10% / Carbs 5% and I tried to push Fat to 90% as often as possible.

Mostly, though, you need to invest some time in reading up on what Low Carb is and how people do it. There are lots of helpful people here and lots of helpful posts to read too.

One thing to keep in mind. People get passionate about their plan. So keep an open mind and remember that no one plan is for every person no matter how ardently someone speaks of it.

Can I answer any questions for you? Or explain what I've said that may not be super clear?

And! Welcome to Low Carb. You are saving your life =)
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
And with 80 grams of protein and 70 of fat, does that mean I need to decrease my protein intake?
Fat percentage should always be higher than protein.

Excess protein can be converted to carbs by the body.

You do need a minimum amount of daily protein intake. I believe the formula is .8 x your weight (or your ideal weight you should google it). So as a measure of grams you are probably not eating too much.

Eat fattier meats to adjust the fat to protein ratio.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
ejh
Junior LCF Member

Okay, so over the weekend I changed my intake percentages.
Each day is was about 73% Fats, 14% Protein, and about 11% carbs.

I made sure to include plenty of fiber and drink lots of water and I'm now down to 142 instead of up another couple of pounds.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

That's great!

I've been reading up getting re-familiarized with recommended protein minimums because it has been about a year since I did all my research on it when I got started on LC.

In particular, this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ge-anyone.html

...has a lot of great information about fat and protein levels.

For LC people, a doctor came up with an easy way to figure your protein requirements and then base your fat/carbs off of that to avoid losing lean muscle mass.

Protein = height in cm - 100. For you that is 57g +/-10%.

Then fat = protein grams * 2.5 or 3.5. For you that is about 127g if you go with the -10% protein grams.

Carbs = protein * 0.5. So 25g.

It would put your daily calorie goal at:

When I plug in your numbers to a BMR calculator (to calculate your daily calorie requirements), it shows 1661 to maintain and 1329 to lose weight.

So the calculations prove out according to the BMR thing and that tool doesn't take into account LC diets being more efficient at burning fat.

Be patient and diligent and it will work. Remember that your body doesn't read up on percentages and stuff and will fail to cooperate from time to time no matter how much you threaten to give it a good thrashing.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I made sure to include plenty of fiber
Fiber is not super important when you go LC.

FAT is important and it will keep you regular. So don't worry too much about going out of your way to eat a lot of fiber. Focus on eating good fats in the right quantities.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Sounds like not enough calories...will probably make your body hold on to weight, because it feels like you are starving it.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote