Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #211
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Blue, MK is right, up your fat within your calorie range and you will find the hunger diminishing. Most of the time, we all just have those hungry days, I think it is more emotional or hormonal than real hunger.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Yeah for Jess..She made it to Twoterville..Hurray, hurray..

On the cruise..we will see how much the interwebs are..We did last time, but
don't know about this time..It's up to dh..

Thanks, Sandy for the headsup on that book..I will have to order from the library..I wonder why they picked Independence? LOL..She must have driven through here once..

On the raw almonds..Did you ever notice that you don't eat as many as you would the roasted and salted ones? But, they are good for you.

Port: My view on Dr. Atkins is that he would focus on amounts of protein more if he lived longer. I talked to his nurse on the LC Cruise in May and she said that she sees patients (men) who do overeat protein and don't lose. She tells them to cut back.

Made some tuna salad for lunch..I'll have it with lettuce and some cukes..

Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Oh, Sam's have the best prices on nuts. I haven't been in awhile. At Christmas time I make and last year sold, English Toffee. I used lbs of pecans and found Sam's had the best deal on them.

Judy, do have a quick and easy recipe for your pancakes?
Yes, I use Kristn's recipe from the NK thread - I'll post hers then after it tell you what I tweaked.

COCONUT FLOUR PANCAKES

For one serving I use
2 tbs coconut flour,
2 eggs,
1/2 tsp baking powder,
a pinch of salt
vanilla Da Vinci syrup to thin the batter to the right consistency.

I fry them up in coconut oil and you can add more coconut oil to the batter to up the fat if you like.

My coconut flour has 1 gram of protein per tbs, so along with the eggs this is about 14 grams of protein per serving.
- - -
I add 2 Tbsp of HWC to that recipe and there is no way I could eat that whole recipe. I make it once and eat it the second day also. One time I doubled it thinking I would have it for 4 days. Yay! Until dh found them...

These are delicious and I use the DaVinci pancake flavor syrup for my syrup, so it's all sucralose and no sugar alcohols. I also spread 1 Tbsp. almond butter on my pancake and use 1 Tbsp. butter. No wonder I can't eat the whole recipe!

Carolyn I only buy nuts I intend to use in cooking/baking. They live in my freezer. They are one of those things I've learned not to have available to me - I will overeat them. I have done low fat for so long thinking it was healthy. Sheesh.

I am excited for Carolyn's cruise but I have no idea what we'll do with ourselves without her steady hand. I am sure we'll run amok!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Blue, I get ya on the BC hungries, I deal with that on occason too. But I'm not big on taking appitite supressants or any other "diet" type pills. I know those kind of things can help some people but I'm just not a fan, too many allergies/poor asthma reactions for me to mess around with it. When I get the BC munchies I have two standard ways to battle it. First I eat straight fat, usually refind coconut oil or butter for me. I can't eat much in one go and it gives me the queasy full feeling really fast that can kill off the munchies. If that doesn't work I drink several cups of hot tea with lots of lemon in it until my next meal. I'm on the shot and I get the munchies one week after my injection and it lasts 3-4 days. I typically do not lose or gain some durring those days but my BC is only once every three months so I find it worth it since I don't want kids right now.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #215
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Yes, I use Kristn's recipe from the NK thread - I'll post hers then after it tell you what I tweaked.

:
Thanks, will try tomorrow morning!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Jess: ok, so I'm not the only one that notices BC hungries? I have a gyno appt this Friday - no more hormones for me. Might need a procedure.

Yep, I hear ya girls on the fat but I eat lots and lots of fat and still upping it. At the moment I feel good but it only lasts a short time. I'm very fat tolerant I'll try adding coconut oil to my coffee in the evenings (my worst time).

There is a product on this same site Curbbites that is delicious and it works to an extent - at least in the past. I think I might need to reorder. I don't want to take pills.

Judy: Ty for the coconut pancake recipe. I have some of that flour and maybe a nice change from eggs for breakfast. If it fills me, that would be great. Even eggs and bacon don't fill me these days and I"m usually not a brekkie person.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Coconut Flour Pancakes

Oh, I need to retract my "no sugar alcohol" statement when I posted that recipe. My other tweak is that I add one envelope of generic Truvia (Wally brand) because I like my sweet things sweet. I think that Truvia is mostly erythritol and some Stevia? Doesn't seem to upset my stomach, though.

Sorry about being high and mighty for 10 minutes!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #218
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Seabeadz
Stats: 189/178/125
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Sept 2012
I was pages behind, so my head is spinning with new info and helps. First of all, thank-you all for sharing so much info. You never know when it's helpful, like the cramp info is to me today.

Congratulations to Sandy for a new grandbaby, weight loss for a few of us and hunger control for some. Yay! Seems everyone is doing well.

My Dh looked at my dinner plate last night and said "Really, that's a diet?" Lol. He didn't even know about the fat bomb a few hours earlier, lol. That's exactly how I feel too, but the scales and my ankles showed a 2 lb inflammation drop this morning, so the increased fat, reduced carbs and protein is working. Whodathunk? Happy dance!

Deb
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy:
Thought this may be of interest to you.
I just received my Dr. Atkins Vita Nutrient Solution book and read that Taurine (amino acid) is good for water retention (me) and people that are prone to gall stones. "to break down cholesterol, the body needs bile, an enzyme manufactured in the liver w/taurine's help. In Taurine's presense, bile remains in a liquid state and is less likely to form gall gallstones. The process is of notable concern to anyone whose gallbladder has been surgically removed or whose liver may not function optimal".

Taurine is good for a good many maladies not mentioned (don't want to bore). I started taking it last week.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Blue.
I make kidney stones, no gallstones.

YET!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks, Blue.
I make kidney stones, no gallstones.

YET!
whoops, sry, misunderstood.

Maybe someone that sees my post in cyberland will benefit - who knows?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I agree! I have learned so much from skimming these boards.
And honestly, thank you for thinking of me!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh I agree! I have learned so much from skimming these boards.
And honestly, thank you for thinking of me!
Yeah, I have too. Heck, some answers are just a stone's throw away I couldn't resist!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #224
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:

I am excited for Carolyn's cruise but I have no idea what we'll do with ourselves without her steady hand. I am sure we'll run amok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTopaz View Post
Yeah, I have too. Heck, some answers are just a stone's throw away I couldn't resist!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #225
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Love the laughs!!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #226

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Wowza to all the losers!!! That's fantastic!!! KUTGW!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #227
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Sandy, been thinking about you today and thought you might be hanging out with that new baby, taking in that wonderful new baby smell, love it!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #228
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, I think I read where you posted that you eat most or the majority of your calories at night, I do this too. Am just not as hungry during the day, am busy, am always afraid I will get done with all my food and then desparately want more, blah blah blah. I hope this doesn't hurt our weight loss, I have read both ways, that is it better to spread it out equally and then that it doesn't matter. Guess time will tell, right?

I know on WW I did the same thing and lost well on that one time, before diabetes.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #229

Quote:
Hi Sandy, been thinking about you today and thought you might be hanging out with that new baby, taking in that wonderful new baby smell, love it!!!
Yes, I did have to make a baby stop today. He's just as cute today as he was yesterday. I also had to take an ice pack to my DD. She's keeping the other great grandson while his mommy and daddy are at the hospital with the new baby. On her way out the door this morning she fell down the garage steps! 3 steps and thank God she wasn't holding the baby. She really messed her shin up bad!!! I tried to get her to go get it x-rayed but she wouldn't. The bad thing was, the garage door was already up and she was afraid the baby was going to go running out! Plus she's not telling the kids b/c she doesn't want them to worry. She was able to get him to daycare ok. I told her if she couldn't handle it in the a.m. to give me a call.

I had crack slaw for dinner. I LOVE that stuff!!! DH liked it better this time since I cooked it outside and the house wasn't full of that sesame oil smell. He has a very sensitive nose and hates smells!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I had crack slaw for dinner. I LOVE that stuff!!! DH liked it better this time since I cooked it outside and the house wasn't full of that sesame oil smell. He has a very sensitive nose and hates smells!
You got one of "those" types too? I cannot cook garlic or seafood period. He tolerates most fried foods I cook (odor wise) with the exhaust fan and kitchen window open and of course his own baked goods no need for the exhaust fan...that's way OK. He says something like the "molecules" floating in the air and it sticks on upholstery, carpets, drapes, walls....

Hope your DD is okay by tomorrow. That smarts!

'k made my version of a fat bomb tonight....mini cream cheese cupcakes...a couple of ingredients, bam and done. I had a rough night trying to get my kindle to accept my home wifi tonight. I neeeeeded it. I have a Kindle keyboard 3g and wifi but I ordered the new Kindle Fire HD and it only runs on WiFi so I wanted to make sure it worked. I ended up on live chat w/Amazon and sure enough, she got it working.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #231

Blue, you know about the ereadernews site, don't you? They offer about 20 or so free books everyday for the Kindle. Some good, some meh. But Free so the price is always right, lol.

How did you do your fat bomb cheesecakes?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Blue, you know about the ereadernews site, don't you? They offer about 20 or so free books everyday for the Kindle. Some good, some meh. But Free so the price is always right, lol.

How did you do your fat bomb cheesecakes?
I've been having ereaderlove site send me daily freebies. I like suspense, paranormal, paranormal romance, mystery, horror. Amazon always has a lot of freebies in those categories. I like a good majority of them. Kinda short and book 1 of a series but I've bought the rest of the series on many.

They were pretty, pretty good cheesecakes-fast and simple too. I had one plain last night but next time I'll try a teas. of SF rasberry sauce on them. I love those silicone cupcake holders. I have the large and the small. The cheesecakes went on the small ones.

Here's the recipe:

Cream Cheese Muffins

(2) 8 oz pkgs. Philadelphia Cream Cheese (I had Neufetchal by the same brand on hand) which is 1/3 fat but next time I used regular CC.

1/2 cup Splenda (or equivalent other SF sweetner. I used Sweet Perfection)

2 eggs

1/2 teas. vanilla (I also added 1/2 teas lemon and a true lemon packet)

Directions:

Soften cream cheese about 40 sec. in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat w/mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined iwth papers (or use the silicone muffin molds). Bake at 350 for 20-25 mins.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #233

Blue,
Do you know what the nutritional info is on those?

Yesterday I started doing Callanetics again. I have done it off and on through the years but only had a VHS tape of it and since going DVD/Blu-Ray I haven't done it at all. Well, I found a DVD of it, ordered it and started it again. I get the best results from that routine than from any other I've ever done before. It's a killer those first few times though! I'm going to try to do it everyday through Sept 28. Then I go on vacation with a friend for 6 days. I took measurements before I started and will take them weekly to see any changes. Plus I'm really trying to eat right until then too b/c I know I won't be perfect those 6 days I'm gone.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Blue,
Do you know what the nutritional info is on those?
Okay...did this on ******:

Total Batch: 12 cupcakes (muffins)
Used regular Splenda and regular Phila. Cream Cheese as a basis. Adjust for any variances.

(1) Per serving:

Calories: 65.4
Carb : 2.4 g
Fat : 5.4 g
Protein : 2.3 g

Fat: 72%
Prot: 14%
Carb: 14%

I have a couple of those Callenectic DVD's too. I had done them years ago.
What areas of the body do you notice the biggest change and is it in muscle tone or inch reduction?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Judy, I think I read where you posted that you eat most or the majority of your calories at night, I do this too. Am just not as hungry during the day, am busy, am always afraid I will get done with all my food and then desperately want more, blah blah blah. I hope this doesn't hurt our weight loss, I have read both ways, that is it better to spread it out equally and then that it doesn't matter. Guess time will tell, right?

I know on WW I did the same thing and lost well on that one time, before diabetes.
Yep that's exactly what I do and probably for that reason. I am SO careful during the day because I can be. I am simply not hungry. I'm not really hungry by the evening but I can eat, so I try to get everything in line. Sometimes I succeed and most times I'm a little deficient, and I honestly think that's slowing my weight loss. But I am still losing!

Blue, thank you for reminding me of those cream cheese muffins. And thanks for doing the math. Easy to make and great to have on-hand.

One thing my dh has been happy about is that I cook so much. And it's like a church supper here so often - I am cooking "hot dishes" - taco bake, chicken "noodle" casserole, stuffed mexi peppers, etc. Stuff our mothers made and I have shunned previously because of fat content.
I have decided to add 3/4 lb. of ground beef in recipes to help keep the protein down. They nearly all contain milk or cream or cheese also, so I think we'd enjoy them just as much with a little less meat.

Last night I made Ginny Larson's Chicken Noodle Casserole. It was nearly hobo casserole (when I open a bunch of cans I end up calling it hobo soup!).

Here is her recipe then I'll tell you what I did at the end:

CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE

20 ounces canned chicken -- (2 10-oz. cans)
2 medium zucchini -- sliced lenghtwise with vegetable peeler into noodles
15 ounces Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips -- (1 jar drained)
1 cup nopalitos -- chopped (found in Mexican section of store)
15 ounces GIA RUSSA Alfredo Sauce
1 cup fiesta blend shredded cheese -- (or other cheese of your choice)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Spray 2 qt. casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil. Add chicken, zucchini noodles, red pepper strips, and nopalitos. Stir together. Stir in alfredo sauce.

Add shredded cheese and stir until well mixed. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve.

- - -
I have no idea what nopalitos are, and if I had time I'd have gotten some. I substituted one can green beans, and 1 cup green pepper, chopped.
Then I decided I didn't want Alfredo sauce I really really wanted cream of chicken soup. So I found this recipe and did this instead:

Low Carb Cream of Chicken Soup

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup minced chicken (I took some from the canned chicken above)
4 tablespoons heavy cream
2 egg yolks, for thickening
salt and pepper, to taste
~ 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum

DIRECTIONS:
Heat the chicken stock and add the chicken. Whisk cream and yolks into hot stock. Simmer for 1 minute. Do not bring to a boil.

- - -
It only took a few minutes. It was pretty good, but I wish I could make something like that thick glop I could get in a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup. I'm sorry, I like that stuff.

But the whole thing turned out very well.
1/6 of the whole thing:
261 calories
16 g fat
27 g protein
3g carbohydrates

I am really enjoying my Joyce Chen thingamajig that makes angel-hair "pasta" out of zucchini.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I have a couple of those Callenectic DVD's too. I had done them years ago.
What areas of the body do you notice the biggest change and is it in muscle tone or inch reduction?
I've got her book! I used to take my little barbells into hotel rooms and do it while watching TV. Haven't done it since the 80s, I don't think.

Now I have two sets of DVDs I haven't opened: T-Tapp & Slow Burn!

No pressure Judy.
No pressure.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recipes. I love zucchini noodles.

I'm in the hungry at night club too. Since my 40's. When I was younger, I never ate after supper. It's like a alarm clock that sets off after supper and I feel like I'm starving. It doesn't matter if I have a decent breakfast and lunch. What happens if I eat breakfast, I end up having more calories at the end of the day. It doesn't reduce my lunch amount. Usually dairy: i.e. cheese is what I crave before bed. That's what those cream cheese muffins are for. Just 65 calories. They are small.

I have unopened or just played 1x DVD's too, so don't feel bad Judy. Maybe we need to set up a challenge to motivate each other to just do them. No pressure though
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have unopened or just played 1x DVD's too, so don't feel bad Judy. Maybe we need to set up a challenge to motivate each other to just do them. No pressure though
I'll save us the trouble.
YOU WIN!!

I am swamped with work right now. I am so easily distracted (think 'Low Carb Friends boards") and I want to be able to do those things correctly. At least that's my story!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #239
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning everyone!

Day 10 and still going strong. Just started doing the coconut oil in my coffee this week, used to do it when I did LC years ago, Carolyn and I were on a very active coconut oil challenge for awhile. It was fun but kind of dropped off when no one was losing weigh, of course we didn't take anything else away, we just added coconut oil, which added lots of calories of course. I am addicted to lip balm so love drinking the coffee with CO.

Sandy, I remember those books and tapes. Haven't done them of course but I do remember people having very good results with them. Sorry about your DD, ouch, ouch, ouch!

Bet our Carolyn is a busy bee getting ready for the cruise. MK probably out walking, walking, walking.

Blue, I have been meaning to make up some of those cheese cakes too. And, you like just the same type of books I like. Suspense, paranormal, myster, etc.

Last night I slept very well. The night before, could not sleep. Hate those nights. Going out to eat tonight, 2nd time since back on my diet. Had crab legs the first time, easy peasy. Tonight is a new place so not sure what they will have but I am sure some kind of salad, or meat/veggie combination. It just isn't nearly as tempting for me to go off plan these days as it was when I was younger. The only time I have a really hard time not eating all the goodies is when I am at a very very high priced restaurant or highly rated place, then I just don't want to pass up anything, but luckily, that is not the case tonight. It is called BFD, Bar, Friends, Dine.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandy I know it's too soon to ask, but let us know how your dd is doing when you hear something.

Buffy you are experiencing what I'm experiencing - natural satiety - for the first time in my life. I've never been thin. I've been normal weight in high school but after that I've fought it all my life. Have fun tonight!
Closed Thread